The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gettin that PHAT commercial hip hop kick... Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 20th June 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Hey Daniel,

Don't let me discourage you from doing it.

Just don't expect it to be the cure all for a badly conceived mix.
Actually, you really made me think Thrill
Saved me some moneyheh
I did order a distressor though, always wanted to try one
I'm going back to the source, the real weakness in my studio is the ****ty guitar amps people bring in, so I'm going to augment my amp collection so I'll have more sounds
I play a little, so its win-win
Thanks
daniel
Old 20th June 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by FOURTHTUNZ
Actually, you really made me think Thrill
Saved me some moneyheh
I did order a distressor though, always wanted to try one
I'm going back to the source, the real weakness in my studio is the ****ty guitar amps people bring in, so I'm going to augment my amp collection so I'll have more sounds
I play a little, so its win-win
Thanks
daniel
Hey Daniel,

That's cool.

The Distressor is a good tool(its not the be all end all some guys make it out to be) but you will find a lot of uses for it.
Old 21st June 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally posted by EJolson
Wow, what an informative thread. Lotta great stuff.

Hey e-cue, can you post a discography of some specific tracks that you've used those techniques on? I would love to hear the trickery in action.

Gracias!!!
Check your PM...
Old 23rd June 2003
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
I'm very sorry about your misfortunes and hope that everything works itself out for the best. That really sucks... I'm calling my mom after I post this to tell her I love her...

OKay, enough hallmark card ish... I'd miss the distressors too. I have 4 on deck for my drum kit tomarrow at Music Grinder (Portishead/Badu/D Ang/A Keys sorta style music).

I'm a very adaptive mixer. Sometimes I'll listen to a snare, and just want to shape the attack, and a gate will do the trick and I'm done. This is rare, but I don't fix broken ish. Everything is subjective and I approach things with a 3 dimensional way of thought. For example, I did a song with Sinead O Connor some time back, and used no compression or eq (just a couple filters)... If the drums would have been anyMORE aggressive, I probably would have gotta canned from the gig, and the sound was most appropriate. The next day I worked with Rza and reamped the drums through a Mesa Triple Rec amp. If I'm working for Hi Tek, or had a chance to work with JD (the Slum Village one), out comes Lo Fi... If I'm working with JD (Dupri, quick sidenote:all I've ever seen him play is a hi hat out of a groovebox) or Og Kon, out comes the hi shelf on the filterbank. Basically what I'm rambling on about is, my mult chains have been changing a LOT lately, especially dig based mults. A current good example would be (snare right?):

Filterbank F2 (rolling off any unneeded low end)>DigiCompress>Filterbank E6 (knock at 800 or so, more crack at 1K, more thud at 400...all depends)
BF 1176>(sometimes Magneto)> MEequalizer (mid band is about all I use this for) or Reneq
McDsp MC4000 (brightens snare, if needed, and great for a Thwack Spankin)
If the snare is in desperate need of beef, sometimes I'll nudge it forward (latency) and run MasterX5 across it and multiband compress/limt/expand the apedook out of it. (lately the new Ren multiband plug in has taken the place of it, but has a gargantuan sample delay)

If I have access to dig gear, look out... Sometimes I change out the MC4000 for a Triple C. Sometimes I use the CD MASTER program in the M5000.

(kick would start with possibly)
1176> Pultec
Digi compressor> Filterbank E6
Channel Strip (as long as I don't pay attention to those bouncing balls)
Possibly Lo Fi or Sans Amp... (I used to feel so cool using the pedal on drums pre-b.f.)

Vocal mults? Ouch...
I take my Level Devil with me everywhere I possibley can and always go through it. I like going for just 2 mults, a mushey tube sound (hooks) and a tight solid state sound (verses).
The REN VOX comp is... wow, changed the way I work. I'd say:

F2(roll lows)>Ren Comp>E6>Ren Vox> (maybe L1)
F2>LA2A>Pultec
Ride up the Ren Vox change in the verses, and the Pultec one in the hooks accordingly.

Sorry if I sound too much like a fence stradler in this post. It's the most honest way I approach things.
OMG!!! I didn't think it was possible to get my drums THIS massive! I don't have the McDsp Multiband compressor, so I tried C4 and had to timeadjust everything, but it worked great!
Old 24th June 2003
Here for the gear

Re: Re: Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Check your PM...
Thanks!!!

Check yours too!
Old 24th June 2003
Here for the gear

Msg to e-cue....

Hey e-cue... your mailbox is full and I couldn't send a PM. I'm wondering if you are ever available for freelance PT mixdown work. Email me at [email protected] and I can give you the particulars if you're remotely interested.

Great work, by the way.
Old 24th June 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Msg to e-cue....

Quote:
Originally posted by EJolson
Hey e-cue... your mailbox is full and I couldn't send a PM. I'm wondering if you are ever available for freelance PT mixdown work. Email me at [email protected] and I can give you the particulars if you're remotely interested.

Great work, by the way.
My pm should be clear now. I'm down, but booked solid for the next couple weeks.
Old 9th July 2003
Gear Nut

I thought that I would bring this thread back up to the top.

We have finally released and started shipping FilterFreak, the first of the SoundToys plug-ins. I would suggest downloading a copy of the demo and seeing what you can do with it on drums. You can get some very BIG sounds. Using the distortion settings you can get some good dirt too.

The URL is:
www.soundtoys.com

Sorry about the self promotion, but you are all the first to know about it. If there is a problem with the website I don't wanna hear it...that thing took me a long time...

Noah
Old 9th July 2003
Lives for gear

Not too schabby! If I could only get a "Transient Designer" preset...
Old 9th July 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Noah
I thought that I would bring this thread back up to the top.

We have finally released and started shipping FilterFreak, the first of the SoundToys plug-ins. I would suggest downloading a copy of the demo and seeing what you can do with it on drums. You can get some very BIG sounds. Using the distortion settings you can get some good dirt too.

The URL is:
www.soundtoys.com

Sorry about the self promotion, but you are all the first to know about it. If there is a problem with the website I don't wanna hear it...that thing took me a long time...

Noah
y isn't filter freak ibm compatible?
Old 9th July 2003
Gear Nut

I will be XP compatible in the future, but currently it is just on the Mac. We have every intention of getting it onto XP like our UltraTools software (even though XP sales are v..e..r..y slow compared to Mac. The problem is basically just man hours coding it over. Right now we have lots of things to do...

Noah
Old 9th July 2003
Lives for gear

ok
Old 17th September 2003
Lives for gear

wanted to up a classic thread IMO...for those who haven't seen
Old 19th September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
posted by Burt:
Firstly let me say that just as there is no 'rock kickdrum' there really is no definitive 'hip-hop' kickdrum. It just adds to the misconception that hip hop is a simplistic form of music with a set form of sounds, etc.
I concur, based upon my experiences lately working with local hiphop artists. They always listen for a certain "quality" in a kick drum, but that sound always tends to be song-specific.

A few examples:

Mos Def's "Umi Says." Not a big booming kick, wouldn't fit that vibe. But that was a significant song (Nike used it as a soundtrack for an ad campaign for basketball gear).

Neptunes' "Frontin'." The bass line is keyed to the kick, but that kick sound is pretty tight. That track ROCKS in a big club, but in the crib system, it doesn't dominate the mix very much.

Club systems and car systems tend to be pretty amped on the lows, so a tight kick sound works well in the translation there. I know that everytime I'm walking through downtown Philly and I here "Frontin'" emanating from a car or an SUV, I can also hear everything else in the mix. The kick isn't TOO big, so it doesn't blow out everyting else in the mix.

"I know that I'm carryin' on,
Nevermind if I'm showin' off,
I wuz jus' frontin'!
(You know I want you babe!)"

God, I luv that song.
Old 19th September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant

"I know that I'm carryin' on,
Nevermind if I'm showin' off,
I wuz jus' frontin'!
(You know I want you babe!)"

God, I luv that song.
too bad pharrel can't sing
Old 8th October 2003
Lives for gear

e-cue and thrill'....

..what's "OG"?........(original?)

For your kick mults, are you filtering them first in your DAW or are you applying the quoted EQ's to the full bandwidth signal then mixing these together?.....so each mult is a copy of the original but with certain frequencies boosted?
Old 8th October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzius II
e-cue and thrill'....

..what's "OG"?........(original?)
OG - original

Also slang for "Orignal Gangsta", a term popularized by Ice T.

Quote:
For your kick mults, are you filtering them first in your DAW or are you applying the quoted EQ's to the full bandwidth signal then mixing these together?.....so each mult is a copy of the original but with certain frequencies boosted?
When I'm using a console to mix I usually keep the kick's the same from the DAW, unless I've already got something going mult-wise internally in a DAW.
Old 8th October 2003
Lives for gear

So are you running the original along with the mults, or are you first processing the OG, then splitting this into mults....then mixing (back together again) the mults only?...just curious heh
Old 8th October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
So are you running the original along with the mults, or are you first processing the OG, then splitting this into mults....then mixing (back together again) the mults only?...just curious heh
For the most part, I don't eff with the OG kick that much. If it's just totally wack, I'll go crazy, but most of the time I don't tweak more than 4 db on the eq's. That way I keep the kick as a base, and it helps keep the producer's original vision. It sorta depends. Sometime I'll bus the tweeked kick instead of multing them.
Old 8th October 2003
Quote:
[BFor your kick mults, are you filtering them first in your DAW or are you applying the quoted EQ's to the full bandwidth signal then mixing these together?.....so each mult is a copy of the original but with certain frequencies boosted? [/B]
Sometimes.

I think my train of thought is if I can't make the kick work in a few moves(my ususal preference), than its time I get radical(super mults).

Sometimes I do the main Kick first(with EQ) and do the subsequent mults corresponding to it. Usually by the end though, I end up re-tweaking it to make it gel with the new stuff.

Sometimes I do the mults first, than i sneak in the original to see where it stands accordingly.

Also there are times where I don't use the original at all and just use the mult.

Basically in a nutshell whatever works for that sound is what I go with.
Old 8th October 2003
Lives for gear

cool cool it all makes sense......i'm working on a mix at the moment utilizing these tricks.....it's working out pretty nice.....thanks......

(one things for sure - i n-e-e-d more channels of TD urgently.....2 is not enough!) (i also need more patch cables.....i ran out mid mix today )
Old 8th October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
cool cool it all makes sense......i'm working on a mix at the moment utilizing these tricks.....it's working out pretty nice.....thanks......

(one things for sure - i n-e-e-d more channels of TD urgently.....2 is not enough!) (i also need more patch cables.....i ran out mid mix today )
are you doing this mix on a mackie? if so let us know if you still have the same good impression of it after you do some bass heavy material...
Old 8th October 2003
Lives for gear

hoho yes indeed!- i'll even put up an MP3 so you can judge for yaself!
Old 9th October 2003
Lives for gear

I've gotta try out this 3 mult vibe as well.

personally I just send OG kick out to a DBX120 subharmonic synth(with not too much subharmoic drive) for the weight and then use OG for the click/attack element. Og kick then goes into a LCA2b and then a pultec.

The other funky kick kit I've started using is the focusrite compounder with the bass expander.
Old 9th October 2003
Lives for gear

aarrrrrhhhhhh!....you're right!..........the Mackie whimps out below 60hz!..........i'll still post the mix this evening for public consumption.........
Old 9th October 2003
Lives for gear

if you could mix it in samplitude also i'm curious which sounds better...i have both but don't really have too much good out board to really justify mixing out the box...and i'm lazy
Old 9th October 2003
Lives for gear

I had to use the Mckay because i wanted to use my outboard......
Old 9th October 2003
Lives for gear

Ok, here's the first mix i've done on the Mackie.......i'd be interested to know what people think.......it's only my 4th rap mix ever so cut me some slack eh fellas?!!

I didn't produce it...what i did was track the vocals and mix it.

I'm especially interested to know what people think about the volume of the vox/kick/rim........what could i do to make the mix more interesting?!!! (it's not a very interesting song...maybe that's the problem!)

There's an MP3 (320kbs) to download here!

heh
Old 9th October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzius
I had to use the Mckay because i wanted to use my outboard......
you can print it to the daw...thats why i said i'm lazy....thats gets to be alot of work especially when the tracks you printed to disk don't fit and you have to do it again...

i checked it out on computer speaker(literally the speaker in side the computer) vocals sound good...the snare MIGHT sound a lil cheesy..

the only thing i can say for sure is you should of made them get a lil more excited especially with that kind of beat where there isn't much going on...
Old 9th October 2003
Lives for gear

haha...yeah, but that's their style.....to be honest, i don't really like their rapping.....it's rapping designed to impress other rappers, which doesn't impress me.......the rim......that was the first thing i said to the producer....."i don't like the rim...it's not *today* sounding"....but he said he liked it so i had to work with it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search