The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC 3000 same sound engine as s950
Old 24th April 2010
Gear Head

MPC3000 sound engine is not the S950 sound engine. S950 is variable sample rate/12-bit. MPC3000 is 44.1k/16-bit.
Old 24th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
cool so does the 3000 sound different than the 2000? The 2000 is also 44k 16bit.

Can someone run these thru the 3000 no filters with highest bit rate?
bump
Old 24th April 2010
Lives for gear

been reading:

the mpc60 have a s900 sound engine a bit simplified (less options)

the s950 is more advanced than s900/mpc60 and sound differently (but close).

the mpc3000 have the s3000 (non XL) sound engine also the s2800 is a budget version based on the same engine...

I dont know if it's true.

I own the 2800 and 950 and that gives me plenty of options for resampling in order to impart the "AKAI color" to my stuff.
Old 24th April 2010
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
I usually can't really get talked into it but fugget.

Here are:

Akai MPC 3000
Akai MPC 60II
Ensoniq EPS 16+ (full sample rate)

Level matched.
Frequency Analysis Pic included.

I don't have a 950 or 2500 at the Crib but I'll sample the same sound on em when I go to the stu next and I have nothing to do (so yea prolly gonna be a while).

Tell me which is which, and more importantly why using one over another is going to take my production skills to the next level.
Nice shootout, could you perhaps include a short drumbeat to show more what the machines do to the drum (especially kicks)?
Plus the source itself seems to be of inferior quality. I mean too much dirt o all three samples and no highs at all (lows as well).
on the "sound" of the machines, I am with you. Sample selection and programming is 1000x more important.
Old 24th April 2010
Gear Guru

Yes. It's always most important how good you are at painting. OP asked about differences in colours though.......two different topics I would have thought.
Old 24th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpuma View Post
the mpc3000 have the s3000 (non XL) sound engine also the s2800 is a budget version based on the same engine...

You're right about the 3000 and 2800. This site breaks down the S-series samplers down into their different families (the ones that have the same engine).

Akai S-Series Samplers
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Nice shootout, could you perhaps include a short drumbeat to show more what the machines do to the drum (especially kicks)?
Plus the source itself seems to be of inferior quality. I mean too much dirt o all three samples and no highs at all (lows as well).
on the "sound" of the machines, I am with you. Sample selection and programming is 1000x more important.
I posted 3 quality loops. I dont know why it such a big thing to use em.We could posts 1000s of posts about the matter but it doesnt matter till you hear it.
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does it have the same sound as the s950?
Original vs. MPC2000 vs. Akai s950 vs. Casio FZ1 vs. Mirage
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah thats my link. But no one will run it thru the 3000 or Esoniq 16.I really just care about the 3000,s3000,s2800 at this point but anything is welcomed.
People running different sample thru there samplers though appreciated is much like doing a mic shootout on a snare but changing out the snare too. Not accurate.
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Here are:

Akai MPC 3000
Akai MPC 60II

Level matched.

I don't have a 950 or 2500 at the Crib but I'll sample the same sound on em when I go to the stu next and I have nothing to do (so yea prolly gonna be a while).

Tell me which is which, and more importantly why using one over another is going to take my production skills to the next level.
3 sounds better, fuller, alive.
2 sounds too much mids, less alive, harsh.
1 sounds lo-fi.

but you should have used this files:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5332613-post5.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...950-loops-.wav
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...50-loops-b.wav
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...-drumloops.wav
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
is much like doing a mic shootout on a snare but changing out the snare too. Not accurate.
the snare, the mic-pre, the cables, the AD converter.

Quote:
Yeah thats my link. But no one will run it thru the 3000 or Esoniq 16.I really just care about the 3000,s3000,s2800 at this point but anything is welcomed.
People running different sample thru there samplers though appreciated
would be nice to hear also the Ensoniq ASR-X Pro (red) and Black.
All Emulators, Emax, you name it.

www.vintagesynth.com
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 View Post
lol ..hilarious.

this **** really isn't that serious.

lotta folks clearly haven't used half of these machines. it's plainly evident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WideawakE View Post

really?

do you have a treated room lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Might be quite real. MPC 2000 and 3000 both have roll-offs in the lows(in the same way) and highs (mpc 3000`s roll-of starts lower so that s why people say 2000 is thiner). Never measured the new MPCs, but I`m quite sure they`re more transparent.
I have no issues in my room btw.

The reason the 3000 knocks harder is that it has less sub info in its output but more lows and low-mids/mids and less highs. And ive used the 3000 for years and know it inside out. The 1000 has much better frequency response throughout its range (more representative of the source/transparent) whilst the 3000 is smaller and more hard sounding by comparison with a more grainy sound, thats why its loved for hiphop so much because of this punch and sound. The difference in swing is less significant to my ears but the sound difference is very marked between the Linn Machines and the MPC2000 and the new models.

Im lucky to have both side by side here and can hear the difference easily with the same samples by a long shot.
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai View Post
well since the loops are form a shootout I did, I would like to see the set complete so please use the other samples too if you dicide run it thru your sampler, drummachine, whatever. And please sample directly into the machine, no mixer, no EQ nothing. the complete original sampleset is available here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5286500-post6.html the testtones are important too peace
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper0815 View Post
well since the loops are form a shootout I did, I would like to see the set complete so please use the other samples too if you dicide run it thru your sampler, drummachine, whatever. And please sample directly into the machine, no mixer, no EQ nothing. the complete original sampleset is available here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5286500-post6.html the testtones are important too peace
Yeah man. Thankx for that. You really helped alot. Mad people post saying they use this and have that but no one will run it thru?
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
been reading:

the mpc60 have a s900 sound engine a bit simplified (less options)

the s950 is more advanced than s900/mpc60 and sound differently (but close).

I own the 2800 and 950 and that gives me plenty of options for resampling in order to impart the "AKAI color" to my stuff.
Hey man can you run Loop A and Loop B thru your 2800?
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

ok.
Attached Files

Loops A s2800.wav (2.23 MB, 1423 views)

Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok.
You just made my whole day homie. Thankx.
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok.
Whats your opinion and application for the s950 vs the s2800 for melodic samples?
To me the s950 is hot. Its got highend sheen on it but its still not bright or annoying. I was just skeptical about it being mono only but its not really bothering me. Maybe cause its still crisp and clear sounding. THe thing is IM a fan of Jus blaze type production which is real clear and modern and bright sounding. BUt I also want that classic sound that these sampler give the sample ran thru it. I think the s950 is a good balance between classic and crisp/bright. If I want super clean Ill just run it thru the 1000.

Also how I tested each was to of course listen by itself but then I brought up some of my favorite drums and played to em. Of course you have to choose your drums according to the sample but the s950 made my drums fit effortlessly.
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

If your after Just Blaze sound I beleive he use a 4k...

I think the 950 is a really cool tool that offer lots of options cause the sample rate is variable (fully) the 2800 only have 10k or 20k but it's stereo, I also have an esi32 that sound a bit different but like the s2800 its coloration is rather subtil, the kind you notice only when stacking tracks.

If I had to sell stuff I'd keep the 950, it's the more colored of the brunch, if I want clean I'm good with my DAW.

I might buy something even more colored in the future like the sequencial circuits prophet 2002.

But yea get the 950 man it's a classic/keeper.
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
If your after Just Blaze sound I beleive he use a 4k...

I think the 950 is a really cool tool that offer lots of options cause the sample rate is variable (fully) the 2800 only have 10k or 20k but it's stereo, I also have an esi32 that sound a bit different but like the s2800 its coloration is rather subtil, the kind you notice only when stacking tracks.

If I had to sell stuff I'd keep the 950, it's the more colored of the brunch, if I want clean I'm good with my DAW.

I might buy something even more colored in the future like the sequencial circuits prophet 2002.

But yea get the 950 man it's a classic/keeper.
Yeah the 4K doesnt really add anything as far as color to what I have. So IM gonna go with the s950.I had the 1000 for a couple months and just used it for a pad control with the option to sequence in it or take on trips. But I just really figured out how to use it and mess around with something today. I absolutely in love with it. Im really going hardware. FL studio is dope but its way to visual and has a 1000 directions to go and things to figure out. And me being someone addicting to figureing things out its really not compatible with me and being creative. Hardware forces you to be creative and work with what you have. I have tons of sounds that I have to go thru in FL studio. Well I dont have to but I always end up getting lost in it. With the MPC I still have all those sounds but its harder to go thru em so I end up finding somethng quickly and running with it and just making it work.

This is night and day for me,and it makes me make music with my ears instead of with my eyes and brain. I love it.
Old 22nd May 2015
Deleted 7ad91e3
Quote:

Here are:

Akai MPC 3000
Akai MPC 60II

Level matched.

Have the result been revealed?
Cheers!
Old 24th May 2015
SEED78
MPC60 > s950
MPC3000 >s3000/s3200
MPC2000xl > 3000xl or S2000 maybe?
MPC4000 > Z4

I have S950/MPC3000/ASR10 - all cool, all different. S950 sounds closer to 3000 at the higher sample rates with bit of high end roll off. building a whole track with both and seeing how the sounds stack up would be the only way to tell.

I think the mixers of the eras had a bigger effect on the sound of famous records made with both.
Old 27th November 2019
Here for the gear

does anyone know about the mixing boards used from the 90s and the 80s?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search