The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
c800g Condenser Microphones
Old 30th March 2010
  #1
Gear Nut
 

c800g

its a very crisp, detialed sound...like what i hear on a lot of records today...yet its warm (i dont know if its because of other facors such as preamps and compression) but to me it does sound very good and i try to spot it as much as i can on recordings...over the past years ive been trying and trying to get a lil project studio together but financial constraints and other factors have kept me back. Now that im seeing the opportunity i think im gonna finally get it up and running and i want that type of sound. the budget is small though and buying one new is just out of the question. ive got all the other bases covered. im planning on purchasing used gear to keep costs down. saw a good deal on a used CL1B and for main vocal pre im gonna get a vintech. the budget for the mic is tops $2500...i know i cant one used in that price range so im looking for alternatives
Old 30th March 2010
  #2
I will say this. Nothing sounds like a c800g. Save up and buy what you really want. Don't settle for less.
Old 30th March 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 

The usual.. How is you're monitoring setup / room acoustics / mix environment? I'd make sure that's tightened down first.
Old 30th March 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan_rashard View Post
its a very crisp, detialed sound...like what i hear on a lot of records today...yet its warm (i dont know if its because of other facors such as preamps and compression) but to me it does sound very good and i try to spot it as much as i can on recordings...over the past years ive been trying and trying to get a lil project studio together but financial constraints and other factors have kept me back. Now that im seeing the opportunity i think im gonna finally get it up and running and i want that type of sound. the budget is small though and buying one new is just out of the question. ive got all the other bases covered. im planning on purchasing used gear to keep costs down. saw a good deal on a used CL1B and for main vocal pre im gonna get a vintech. the budget for the mic is tops $2500...i know i cant one used in that price range so im looking for alternatives
Its not just the mike you are hearing or THINK you are hearing .
Its mike technique,engineering SKILLS, vocal characteristics and nuances,etc.
Please dont waste your money on a c800g.
Buy an AT 4050,a decent comp and eq,an artist with those vocal nuances and you will be set.

B
Old 30th March 2010
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
Nostalgic's Avatar
I'll be 100% honest with you... when I bought a Nuemann U-87 (could have bought a C-800g) I was just thinking I could make it sound good on anything... I was wrong man. I encourage you to try it before you buy it and not just talk into it, try recording a whole track on it... It may be too sensitive for you or have too much sibilance for you... it sounds like once you buy this mic, your money for a pre and a comp are all gone. You will then have nothing but a nice mic for a building ground later.

I recently put a telefunken tube mod in my AKG Solidtube and to me it sounds better on my voice than a U-87.. through the same pres and comps. It's all about application. I agree with philly on the AT 4050.. but thats if you want bright. Determine your vocal application and then try other stuff. For the price of a C800g, you can set up a fantastic rig that you will be happy with.
Old 30th March 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 

I own a c800g and use it with Neve 1073 into a CL1B or Neve 33609, depending on what I am looking for. It certainly does have 'that' sound with certain singers/rappers. However, on some voices it just doesn't work. In that case I turn to my mod'ed U-67.

Is there a chance in your area that you can rent the mic when you need it for a session?
Old 30th March 2010
  #7
Gear Maniac
 

Just get a U87 and call it a day. C800s are flaky ass mics. You want something that's going to be reliable if its your go to vocal mic in your home studio.
Old 30th March 2010
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
Nostalgic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfadeable View Post
Just get a U87 and call it a day. C800s are flaky ass mics. You want something that's going to be reliable if its your go to vocal mic in your home studio.

Or maybe he wants a mic right for his voice ^

Don't get a U-87 unless you try it first... it may be too sibilant for you I'm telling you..

I do agree with the modded U-67 for a back up to a c800g
Old 30th March 2010
  #9
Gear Nut
 

thanks for all the input...thanks for chime in philly...i know recordings are about alot more than vocal chains
Old 30th March 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan_rashard View Post
thanks for all the input...thanks for chime in philly...i know recordings are about alot more than vocal chains
Just tryna save you some stacks.
What kind of artists are you recording?
Old 31st March 2010
  #11
Gear Guru
 
rickrock305's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
He asks about an 800g and you tell him to buy an AT 4050?

he actually asked for similar alternatives in the $2500 price range. you're not gonna find a c800 in that price range.
Old 31st March 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
Peluso VTB is often compared to the Sony, for half your budget. And they can be modded to sound better, like a lot of things.
Old 31st March 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Well ok, but the 4050 is about 500 bucks, and i.m.o. not a great vocal mic, even at that price. And absolutely nothing like the Sony.
You can find better for $2500.
Old 31st March 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 
illacov's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
You can find better for $2500.
A*K*I*T*A (cough cough)..

Peace
Illumination
Old 31st March 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan_rashard View Post
its a very crisp, detialed sound...like what i hear on a lot of records today...yet its warm (i dont know if its because of other facors such as preamps and compression) but to me it does sound very good and i try to spot it as much as i can on recordings...over the past years ive been trying and trying to get a lil project studio together but financial constraints and other factors have kept me back. Now that im seeing the opportunity i think im gonna finally get it up and running and i want that type of sound. the budget is small though and buying one new is just out of the question. ive got all the other bases covered. im planning on purchasing used gear to keep costs down. saw a good deal on a used CL1B and for main vocal pre im gonna get a vintech. the budget for the mic is tops $2500...i know i cant one used in that price range so im looking for alternatives
Although no mics going to give you an exact match, there are some that will get you in that ballpark. You should take a look at the JJ audio Akita. If your budget for a mic is 2500 you can build an entire mic locker with there mics for that price, with no sacrifice on sound quality.
Old 31st March 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
A*K*I*T*A (cough cough)..

Peace
Illumination
I was gonna say that but...I might have gotten an infraction
Old 31st March 2010
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
I was gonna say that but...I might have gotten an infraction
I gave you one heh But seriously I've been fascinated by this mic.
Old 31st March 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
I gave you one heh But seriously I've been fascinated by this mic.
Buy one..you will love it....
Old 31st March 2010
  #19
Gear Addict
 

a used manley ref c will run you about $1500...
Old 31st March 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

here we go....AGAIN!!!...
Ok once and for all, the C800G IS a GREAT MIC!!! overpriced?? a little, expensive ? yes but if you make money with your music, it's a great tool to have. I LOVE it's sound, I have been trying to get a cheaper equivalent for years now (do a search on GS you will find my old threads), bottom line is NOTHING sounds like it, period!
Now in the "same" kind of "vibe" hyped top end , clear and open Mic the AT 4050 as mentioned is great if on a budget, does it sound like a C800G? not at all but it still sounds great, The closest I heard was a manley Ref C with NOS telefunken Tubes, it didn't have that Nice SONY bottom and natural "compression" and was a bit more nasal/harsh but looking at the price difference, the Manley is really a bargan, I'm actually thinking about getting one as a backup for the Sony (YES...the Sony is a sensitive and expensive bastard!)
the Peluso VTB doesn't sound anything like a Sony, I tried to convince myself when I had one but after doing the test with a real C800G it was not even close, you get that nasty "chinese" mic harsh sound and stacking makes it worst. Sold it, never looked back...
I bought the Sony and don't regret it one second, I don't care how much it cost, I made that money back with the first song I recorded with it...
I use the sony with my Pacifica or Neve 1084 into my 1176 for rap or La2a for RnB and I'm in Heaven!
Old 31st March 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Lifted's Avatar
 

Heard C-800G, used it, don't like it, and I will never buy a mic costing over $8,500 (hell...$5,000) and that doesn't work for every voice.

Sound cliche..."use the right mic for the right vocal"...but I can take that $8,500 and buy EVERY mic I will EVER need, for EVERY voice I will ever have in a studio.

Unless you bring me an alien to the studio to record, I might need some of their **** to record the telepathic language of singing.
Old 1st April 2010
  #22
Gear Nut
 

well maybe i should start looking hard for a used one and try and save more...very hard in this type of economy...as far as people im recording..its all across the map...alot of varying voices and it kind of scares me some say the mic isnt that versitile...but i dont know...i just love the sound
Old 1st April 2010
  #23
Gear Maniac
 
Nostalgic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted View Post
Heard C-800G, used it, don't like it, and I will never buy a mic costing over $8,500 (hell...$5,000) and that doesn't work for every voice.

Sound cliche..."use the right mic for the right vocal"...but I can take that $8,500 and buy EVERY mic I will EVER need, for EVERY voice I will ever have in a studio.

Unless you bring me an alien to the studio to record, I might need some of their **** to record the telepathic language of singing.

Co-sign... x1000000
Old 1st April 2010
  #24
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan_rashard View Post
well maybe i should start looking hard for a used one and try and save more...very hard in this type of economy...as far as people im recording..its all across the map...alot of varying voices and it kind of scares me some say the mic isnt that versitile...but i dont know...i just love the sound
Have youtested one for yourself?
You really should vdemo one in your environment and with your gear and artists before you decide to buy one.
FYI..The Akita from JJ Audio is just like a c800g and for a much better monetary outlay and its very low maintainance.
If you decide to buy one and for some reason you dont agree,Ill buy if from you.!!
Old 1st April 2010
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
I wish I had more stuff from the JJ demos. Akitas are great mics. Next time Ill and JJ come up to Philly will do some more demoing on the Akita (maybe rent a c800 and do a shoot out....hmmm....).
Old 1st April 2010
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Haz-Mat-Strat's Avatar
 

The Akita is an interesting microphone. It is similar to the Sony in that it shares the same tube and a similar circuit.

I have found the tubes that they use for the Sony and they sound great. The Sony uses a K67 style capsule in a very flat circuit.

The Akita can be equipped with an ADK TT capsule or a real Neumann new or reskinned capsule. I use an Ultra high quality Jensen Transformer.

The Neumann option takes this circuit to the next level.

Old 1st April 2010
  #27
Gear Guru
 
rickrock305's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat View Post
I have found the tubes that they use for the Sony and they sound great. The Sony uses a K67 style capsule in a very flat circuit.

maybe i'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but the Sony freq response is definitely NOT flat.
Old 1st April 2010
  #28
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat View Post
The Akita is an interesting microphone. It is similar to the Sony in that it shares the same tube and a similar circuit.

I have found the tubes that they use for the Sony and they sound great. The Sony uses a K67 style capsule in a very flat circuit.

The Akita can be equipped with an ADK TT capsule or a real Neumann new or reskinned capsule. I use an Ultra high quality Jensen Transformer.

The Neumann option takes this circuit to the next level.


IMHO,the Akita is superior to the c800g
I have heard it ,loved it,and will puchase several for my ever growing mike closet
Old 1st April 2010
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Haz-Mat-Strat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
maybe i'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but the Sony freq response is definitely NOT flat.
The circuit is a basic 6au6 tube circuit and is flat. The capsule is made by Sony and without any filtering, as used in the U67 circuit, the frequency response is boosted and hyped in the upper frequencies. This is the same way some of the Chinese mics have a hyped high end. A flat circuit with a hyped capsule.

I have used this mic with several capsules and the tone and frequency response is dependant upon the capsule.


Old 1st April 2010
  #30
Lives for gear
 
illacov's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
maybe i'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but the Sony freq response is definitely NOT flat.
Hi rick!

What Jim is referring to is that the microphone circuitry itself does not have alot of filtering in place to tame the capsule versus something like a U67 which has all types of filtering for the same type of center terminated k67 capsule.

This is why the mic has that ridiculous superb top end and also that cool bass response. Its unreal sounding but this is why people like the 800g because you get that almost variable mu thing going with the 6au6a tube which has a grab to it.

What Storyville and others have described about being too close to the Akita you can also find people saying about the 800g, regarding the grab the mic has. If you get too close and belt, it just sounds really wild. You gotta work your distance to get in the sweet spot. The mic will do the rest.

I think that considering you can buy an Akita for less than 1k, you'll be seeing them quite a bit in studios in the next few years as a viable stand in for the 800g. Not because its a freq for freq match but because its gets you so close its not worth paying an additional 7k for.

I remember the response that another company got for their attempt at the 800g and so far we haven't been getting that reaction from people who has used the Akita, but rather the opposite.

I would very much like it if somebody takes the Akita retail, because it fills a huge gap in the mic market. I mean I feel all of our mics are like that but the Akita is just one of our personal favorites, because it is so immediately good at what it does.

Speaking for myself as a rapper, I can definitely say I used to think that the 800g sound was worthless or over hyped by users, but after using something like the Akita in a pro studio like Studio E and hearing it on 2 other rappers with voices that were very distinct from mine and each other, I was sold because it completely kicked ass.

Enough gushing!

Peace
Illumination
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
drzox / High end
11
MoreCowBell / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
5
MikeTSH / High end
15
wildpark / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Offender / High end
17

Forum Jump
Forum Jump