The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
c800g Condenser Microphones
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Maniac

I'm not. If I could actually afford it, I would be.
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott! View Post
I'm not. If I could actually afford it, I would be.
ditto, hey Ken i really respect you and all the work you have done over the years, although i look at myself as an artist i love every espect of mixing, kuddos to you man
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
Just curious....... How many of you guys are actually seriously in the market for a used C800G right now and ready to buy at say between $4K and $4,500?
are you selling yours???
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
The Oceanus does not sound like a c800g. Not Even Close!
I just simply stated two mics that I thought were very good and will yield the same results for far less than the sony mic. Btw.. I use to come on this site a lot but silly pointless ongoing threads like these remind me of why I rather not bother opening my mouth anymore on this website and its ashame b/c I use to like it a lot. Good luck to the OP.. I think you can get stellar results with a manley reference or the lauten oceanus with a good room good pre and good mixing skills.. I didn't take the time to read all of what everyone has been saying but don't buy into the hype of "gearslutz" thats all ima say.. And i don't mean gearslutz the website but literally the "gearslutz" that are on the website...
Old 7th April 2010
Quote:
Just curious....... How many of you guys are actually seriously in the market for a used C800G right now and ready to buy at say between $4K and $4,500?
Maybe in 2 months I will, not right now. Did you buy a spare one in the classifieds last summer? I was looking for one too but decided to spend my money elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx View Post
I just simply stated two mics that I thought were very good and will yield the same results for far less than the sony mic. Btw.. I use to come on this site a lot but silly pointless ongoing threads like these remind me of why I rather not bother opening my mouth anymore on this website and its ashame b/c I use to like it a lot. Good luck to the OP.. I think you can get stellar results with a manley reference or the lauten oceanus with a good room good pre and good mixing skills.. I didn't take the time to read all of what everyone has been saying but don't buy into the hype of "gearslutz" thats all ima say.. And i don't mean gearslutz the website but literally the "gearslutz" that are on the website...
Then you must have missed the fact that there will be an awesome shootout soon.
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you are seriously looking to make a sale, I will ask around. I was just having a conversation earlier this week with a fellow colleague of mine thinking of making a new mic purchase, and I recommended the C800G.
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan_rashard View Post
are you selling yours???
HA!!! Never. Mine will be buried at my feet in my coffin with me when i go so i can continue to record great vocals in the afterlife. Hopefully that will be a very long time and many great recording sessions from nowheh
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
If you are seriously looking to make a sale, I will ask around.
I am definitely not looking to sell mine, but i have an industry friend who is definitely looking for one. He would definitely pull the trigger immediately at $4K for a good used one.

I also bought one last September for another client for $3,500 and we used it on his whole album (MIGGS - MIGGS: Official Band Website) He owns his own studio and wanted to invest in a great vocal mic and it saved me from having to travel with mine. win win.
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am definitely not looking to sell mine, but i have an industry friend who is definitely looking for one. He would definitely pull the trigger immediately at $4K for a good used one.

I also bought one last September for another client for $3,500 and we used it on his whole album (MIGGS - MIGGS: Official Band Website) He owns his own studio and wanted to invest in a great vocal mic and it saved me from having to travel with mine. win win.
Cool artist. I'm really feeling that song called "Invisible".

As far as that mic goes, I know that saying this would probably piss off a lot of old school studio cats, but for me the C800G for vocals is a lot like a Ronco Rotisserie. Set it and forget it...

More times then not it seems to give you exactly what you want to work with for vocal recordings. Regardless of who you throw in front of it.
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Nut

another question..how much would the c800 cost per year to maintain...how much does typical maintainence cost...how often can i expect it to last between repair jobs???
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Maniac

I'd hope a mic that expensive would last at least a few months between maintenance....you mean like replacing the tube?
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott! View Post
I'd hope a mic that expensive would last at least a few months between maintenance....you mean like replacing the tube?
I've only replaced the tube in mine 3 times in 12 or 13 years, just when it starts getting noisy. had the diaphragm cleaned once or twice. thats about it. If you take good care of your stuff, keep it turned off and put away when your not using it, it'll last you a long time in between maintenance. The fin on the back keeps the tube really stable. I dont know if this adds to the tube life or if mine lasts so long between maintenance because i dont run a commercial facility and i only use it when i'm producing, so it gets alot less use then the old days when i was a tracking engineer 8 days a week.

New tube for it is only about $100 or so. I swap em myself though thats a bit tricky. The cleaning was i cant remember, maybe $300 to $400
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Maniac

This thread has gone on too long.. heh

From Philly soul man getting owned to newly discovered C800g hate..

CLOSE THIS!!!!

BTW..

My middle name is Kenneth Louis.... neat!
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

dont close the thread... we are waiting on results of the mic shootout.

thanks
s0nguy
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nguy View Post
dont close the thread... we are waiting on results of the mic shootout.

thanks
s0nguy
I will create a new thread just for the shootout
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I will create a new thread just for the shootout
have you received the Akita yet?

thanks
s0nguy
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

for new readers joining the thread:
find the posts by Ken, MDjice and Igotsoul. Filter out the rest and you have yourself a useful 1-page thread.
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master View Post
for new readers joining the thread:
find the posts by Ken, MDjice and Igotsoul. Filter out the rest and you have yourself a useful 1-page thread.
op een bepaald moment dacht ik dat je een fatsoenlijke vent ... nu bent u gedraagt zich als een totale lul
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
op een bepaald moment dacht ik dat je een fatsoenlijke vent ... nu bent u gedraagt zich als een totale lul
No need to be all sensitive now, remember? Just "keeping it real".

Sure more people chimed in. Storyville gave some good pointers and so did Chris Carter. But that was really it.
Old 8th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master View Post
No need to be all sensitive now, remember? Just "keeping it real".

Sure more people chimed in. Storyville gave some good pointers and so did Chris Carter. But that was really it.
You would never admit it if you thought I had some good pointers anyway. I think you just like their advice better than anyone else because you already value their replies before you even start reading them, pretty silly if you ask me Anyhow have you used a c800g? It is a c800g thread after all heh

I quickly checked your last replies on this forum and 90% of them have been directed towards hating me, or trying to discredit me or JJ audio. I will admit, you are a sad individual. Actually it's kind of creeping me out, especially since you seem to get a kick at belittling me with your stupid remarks... Are you obsessed about me? The fact that you come here only to make insignificant remarks about me makes you a lowlife. You think your remarks affect me negatively? I feel pity for you.
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Can't we all just get along
Old 8th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Can't we all just get along
I wish, I just want this guy to stop replying to everything I write on here, especially since it must be hard for him to keep up heh
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
You would never admit it if you thought I had some good pointers anyway. I think you just like their advice better than anyone else because you already value their replies before you even start reading them, pretty silly if you ask me Anyhow have you used a c800g? It is a c800g thread after all heh

I quickly checked your last replies on this forum and 90% of them have been directed towards hating me, or trying to discredit me or JJ audio. I will admit, you are a sad individual. Actually it's kind of creeping me out, especially since you seem to get a kick at belittling me with your stupid remarks... Are you obsessed about me? The fact that you come here only to make insignificant remarks about me makes you a lowlife. You think your remarks affect me negatively? I feel pity for you.
LOL
Epic.

Thanks for the good laugh, and please quote me "discrediting" JJ Audio. I'm curious how your little brain made that one up.

-edit-
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...ams-drums.html
Apparently I'm not the only one fed up with your BS, Chris.
But I don't expect you to realize that, since it must be too nice and warm down there in that hole you keep digging for yourself.
Old 8th April 2010
Hey, if it makes your little self feel better, go ahead, do it heh I always go back and forth with some people when it comes to my ignore list, but you've definitely earned a permanent spot.

Have you used a c800g? How was your experience? Please, do tell!
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nguy View Post
have you received the Akita yet?

thanks
s0nguy
Not yet but they are working on it, I will keep you guys posted
Old 8th April 2010
Quote:
Not yet but they are working on it, I will keep you guys posted
So pumped, I've requested this shootout for so long.
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
So pumped, I've requested this shootout for so long.
I will try and get my buddy's manley ref c with nos telefunken tube here at the same time (if possible).
Old 8th April 2010
Hey i can't wait for this shoot out also=)thumbsup
Old 8th April 2010
Quote:
I will try and get my buddy's manley ref c with nos telefunken tube here at the same time (if possible).
That's great, this will be an awesome shootout, thanks so much for taking the time to do it. I know that you are busy so it means a lot.
Old 9th April 2010
Lives for gear

One thing that i noticed Mikael and the rest of the people who use the C800g say is that they like it for that "finished" sound. As in songs that are already bounced to 2-tracks. But one question is that how does it work for tracks that are still being mixed? I know it has the bump in the high end, but when i mix, i put an EQ across the stereo buss and boost the high end. Doing that to the Sony would seem like a bad idea, no?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search