The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
c800g Condenser Microphones
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Would it make you happy if I said that it sounds great?
Well my bro,Im not a liar so therefore I said that I dont like it.
Is that all right with you,bro??
****,I dont like KFC chicken,but I love Popeye.

Is that cool,or do I have to eat KFC to please this board.

I dont like ****ing 800 gs...period
You can sing into any kind of chicken or eat any type of mic bro Its very ok with me you don't like the c800g ? Good for you! U saved yourself a lot of money!! Its not like I work for Sony or something , people ask about the mic, I answer what I think about it, you think differently ? No problem bro kfc or popeye... It's all chicken after all !!heh
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
Sometimes vocalists require from me RnB type of sound, although I don't do RnB productions. I rented several times Sony mics, but also got appropriate results with Brauner VM1 + little play with tube EQ and compressors. Not big deal or hours of tweaking.
Brauner is not cost effective solution per OP question, but IMO it offers starting point to get great manipulated/enhanced sound people are very often looking for.
I don't think there is any special magic in c800g, it's one trick pony mich that more often doesn't fit to task and de-equalizing it is already harder to achieve.
Before shelling out money for it, good idea is to try Brauners, not as replacment, but better mics that offer top quality base for getting many sounds with small help of pre-eq-comp chain.
I guess all have different tastes and that's what makes the world go round, I tried a couple of boners and hated that unnatural 12k harshness bump every time
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
With all due respect there Philly.. You can like whaccha want, but when 90 people out 100 are saying that this mike IS good...You just can't express yourself like a child who's saying "i don't like it" If you do hip hop that's the mic of choice. PERIOD. Weather you like or not.. So i suggest you two should get to know each other a little better. You might change your mind after all;-)
Its funny that you say that because I felt the exact same way you did until i started talking with various mic makers and more and more engineers outside of our genre. For Hiphop and some country the c800g is one of the most beloved mics but at first i was blown away to find how not only do alot of people not like the c800g, they actually strongly dislike it. The more I think about it, its one of those mics that has a distinct sound so I can kind of see if you don't like that sound how you'd be put off by this mic. So its not 90 out of 100 or even close to that but as you did say correctly, its definitely the mic of choice for hiphop!

As for the people who can't see a 414 winning a shootout.... The 414 was the only mic I had for over a decade and I'm no fan of it but the one thing I'd say is it doesn't add anything to the performance, its a mic that completely stays out of the way... I find it boring but I can easily see engineers gravitating towards it!
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaD View Post
Its funny that you say that because I felt the exact same way you did until i started talking with various mic makers and more and more engineers outside of our genre. For Hiphop and some country the c800g is one of the most beloved mics but at first i was blown away to find how not only do alot of people not like the c800g, they actually strongly dislike it. The more I think about it, its one of those mics that has a distinct sound so I can kind of see if you don't like that sound how you'd be put off by this mic. So its not 90 out of 100 or even close to that but as you did say correctly, its definitely the mic of choice for hiphop!
It's not used only on hip hop records.. World class engineers use the sony for pop artists on a daily basis. Is a staple in RnB as well. Now i don't know where you've got your infos(mic makers??), but the WAST majority of engineers, producers and singers LOVE the c800g! Outside those 3 genres? Maybe not. It's not the first mic i would chose for a raspy male jazz voiceheh You got my point tho

As for the 414 i never really like that mic. Brittle, harsh and thin sounding. But hey i just my 02
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

As for the 414 i never really like that mic. Brittle, harsh and thin sounding. But hey i just my 02
depends on which ones, I recorded the hook of cyclone (me baby bash t-pain and Lil jon) with it going into an Avalon sounded great but I like the ULS version better then the new ones
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually he's right! The C800G has a nice open top end but DOES NOT accentuate sibilance. If the singer have too much 'sshshhsh' going on the Rdesser can definitely tame it.
I was expressing my lack of belief towards Mr. Gago, not the character of the mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
You're funny, it must hurt for you to live with a chip on your shoulder eh? heh
I guess...but at least I have a life.
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Addict

I have one built in to my front door so when people press the push to talk button they sound AMAZING! I have never been so excited to receive a fedex shipment till now!!!

Once I start makin good money I will invest in one, no dout in my mind!
Old 6th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master View Post
I was expressing my lack of belief towards Mr. Gago, not the character of the mic.

I guess...but at least I have a life.
I do too, and I spend a good part of it recording with the c800g

(and I also spend my time hanging out in LA, Lakers games, Dodgers Games, Talk Shows, so I'm enjoying it!)
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Hey man, I know this is about the C800g, but if you have that type of money to spend, why not get 2 different Brauners that have the balls and clarity!

I can see the C800g for commercial voice overs, but the Brauners have the detail of a c800g and are, for me, are more musical for vocals.
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

This thread is becoming so ****ing hilarious!!
Thats all I have to say.
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not used only on hip hop records.. World class engineers use the sony for pop artists on a daily basis. Is a staple in RnB as well. Now i don't know where you've got your infos(mic makers??), but the WAST majority of engineers, producers and singers LOVE the c800g! Outside those 3 genres? Maybe not. It's not the first mic i would chose for a raspy male jazz voiceheh You got my point tho

I have to say that my initial impression of the c800 was not positive - it took me a couple of goes to grow to like it. I also find myself in small company within the circles I travel - none of the three engineers I work with regularly are particularly fond of it. But I've used it many times quite successfully, so there you go. I also like c414s - quite a bit.

@mj - I don't mean to harp on a small point, but I'm not sure kfc or popeyes is actually chicken
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
I have to say that my initial impression of the c800 was not positive - it took me a couple of goes to grow to like it. I also find myself in small company within the circles I travel - none of the three engineers I work with regularly are particularly fond of it. But I've used it many times quite successfully, so there you go. I also like c414s - quite a bit.

@mj - I don't mean to harp on a small point, but I'm not sure kfc or popeyes is actually chicken
Hey Story,
NEWSFLASH The "bird" is actually a winged rodent of various dimensions depending on the distributor of such.
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
If you check out the ELAM 251e Original vs ELAM 251e New post, you'll hear that the Original does in fact have a mid boost to it, while the new one does not. The difference between a U47 type of mic and a 251 type is that the mids are not as pronounced, and there is a lot more air to the mic.
Most definitely. The Bock top of the line massive 47 clone they had there was impressive (unbelievable amount of low end) but the mid bump was was more than I'd want. Compared to their version of the 251 it was no contest. The 251 was better. I wish they had the 151 on display, I'd have loved to hear how close it came to the 251 clone (at a lower prices in one pattern only). I wonder if anyone has compared the Bock 251 vs. the Telefunken USA (more expensive & impressive-looking) version.

Also, I'd heard that comparison you mention, the mids were better on the newer one which had a bit more air. Well, better if there was a very mid-range present singer. The older one would be better if the person has too much 'air' and needed some mids. The A-51 was surprisingly my favorite out of the those. But again, on that singer, at that distance, in that room, behind that pop filter, etc.. All differing factors that will make one mic work when another does not, and vary in each case.
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

now THIS is the ****,son YouTube - Mister Microphone
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Maniac

^What about the perception 400?
Old 6th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott! View Post
^What about the perception 400?
It sucks.
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Maniac

^Hahaha :D
Old 6th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott! View Post
^Hahaha :D
heh
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted View Post
Unless you bring me an alien to the studio to record, I might need some of their **** to record the telepathic language of singing.
Dude thats not funny, you dont want to bring an alien into your studio man. They arent what they claim to be.
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
This thread is becoming so ****ing hilarious!!
Thats all I have to say.
YES. My guess is the original poster is confused off his ass. Here is the lesson, everyone has their own perception of what sounds good and what doesn't. Plan on spending a month demoing mics in your studio. Resist the temptation to buy without your ears telling you YEAH YEAH YEAH. If it doesn't turn you into an overposting fanatic repeating your undying love for the mic, its
not it FOR YOU.

What can you take from all of this?? If there is a significant argument for either side and its been around for years and years its probably a great mic and worth checking out. Some of these new ones like the AK47, peluso, beezneez are far from tried and true and subject to new productitis where its the saviour of your pocketbook or wallet. These are the mics that you should definitely never commit to buying without really trying. The c800, brauners, soundelux, gefell, etc... are fully initiated into the club and are safer bets.
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Maniac

And also stay away from any AKG perception stuff. heh
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
YES. My guess is the original poster is confused off his ass. Here is the lesson, everyone has their own perception of what sounds good and what doesn't. Plan on spending a month demoing mics in your studio. Resist the temptation to buy without your ears telling you YEAH YEAH YEAH. If it doesn't turn you into an overposting fanatic repeating your undying love for the mic, its
not it FOR YOU.

What can you take from all of this?? If there is a significant argument for either side and its been around for years and years its probably a great mic and worth checking out. Some of these new ones like the AK47, peluso, beezneez are far from tried and true and subject to new productitis where its the saviour of your pocketbook or wallet. These are the mics that you should definitely never commit to buying without really trying. The c800, brauners, soundelux, gefell, etc... are fully initiated into the club and are safer bets.
Thanks bro.
Finally an INTELLIGENT answer from the GS literatti
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Maniac

If I were in the position to buy a mic that expensive, I'd go for the Sony because it's been so widely used that you know it's going to be good. A lot of the others I've never heard of/seen before. Brauners are also in that realm of "tried and true" mics, at least I think so.
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Story,
NEWSFLASH The "bird" is actually a winged rodent of various dimensions depending on the distributor of such.

A friend of mine pulled up at a Taco Bell drive thru late one night and saw a delivery truck unloading boxes that said "Grade E Chicken - But Edible"

He said him, along with the three cars behind him put their cars in reverse and got the fug outta there.
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
not it FOR YOU.

well I would feel pretty safe with the Sony seeing as it been practically used everywhere and on almost anyone within the genre of course...
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan_rashard View Post
well I would feel pretty safe with the Sony seeing as it been practically used everywhere and on almost anyone within the genre of course...
Yeah, but does it go to 11!?
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
he actually asked for similar alternatives in the $2500 price range. you're not gonna find a c800 in that price range.
Not necessarily true - I got my C800G new for that price. Granted it was a GC closeout deal, but it can happen.
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Not necessarily true - I got my C800G new for that price. Granted it was a GC closeout deal, but it can happen.

thats quite the exception.

most of them go used around $3500-$4000
Old 7th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael kennedy View Post
a used manley ref c will run you about $1500...
I'm sure it happens, but that sounds quite low. I did solid searches over a period of 2 months, and didn't come across one at a price like that.
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Just curious....... How many of you guys are actually seriously in the market for a used C800G right now and ready to buy at say between $4K and $4,500?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search