The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
c800g Condenser Microphones
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Wow!! What's up with all of this threads about the C800G latelyheh

I have to agree with what people say on this thread.. The room, the preamp, mic technique are actually more important than the mic itself. Get a great sounding room(Gik, realtraps) and a great singer first Having that said i NEVER heard my c800g sounding 'bad' before I've got a u87 that i use a 'safety net' just in case the c800g won't work. I can't honestly say that i've picked it over the c800g.. Not even once
Old 5th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Wow!! What's up with all of this threads about the C800G latelyheh

I have to agree with what people say on this thread.. The room, the preamp, mic technique are actually more important than the mic itself. Get a great sounding room(Gik, realtraps) and a great singer first Having that said i NEVER heard my c800g sounding 'bad' before I've got a u87 that i use a 'safety net' just in case the c800g won't work. I can't honestly say that i've picked it over the c800g.. Not even once
Yeah I wouldn't pick it either, it has that low mid/high mid thing going on, and I really don't like that. I'd rather work with a mic that I don't have to EQ too much in the mix.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
The Oceanus does not sound like a c800g. Not Even Close!
I tried it at AES NY 2009. I must agree. It's the opposite, way more U47 influenced (ie. midrange peak, not a lot of air). I honestly don't know what draws folks to mics with painful mid bumps like that. Sure, vocals 'cut through a mix' but painfully so. If a mix is that cluttered, it's the mix that needs evaluation vs. adding painful 400 hz to 4 khz range information to it. Now if not mistaken, though I've not used the c800g, the concept is more along the lines of the ELAM 251, meaning, big full range sound, with air.

No mid bump, if anything, some slight well placed midrange reductions. Having tried the Telefunken USA top of the line version of the ELAM 251 at AES, I can say it was the best sounding mic in that building. But at nearly 15 thousand dollars, it had damned well better be the best sounding one. Possibly the mic that could actually sound good on everyone, it was that good. Their C12 copy wasn't even close. The 251 was much bigger. Has anyone compared the c800g to the ELAM 251 (new or vintage) here?
Old 5th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. View Post
I tried it at AES NY 2009. I must agree. It's the opposite, way more U47 influenced (ie. midrange peak, not a lot of air). I honestly don't know what draws folks to mics with painful mid bumps like that. Sure, vocals 'cut through a mix' but painfully so. If a mix is that cluttered, it's the mix that needs evaluation vs. adding painful 400 hz to 4 khz range information to it. Now if not mistaken, though I've not used the c800g, the concept is more along the lines of the ELAM 251, meaning, big full range sound, with air.

No mid bump, if anything, some slight well placed midrange reductions. Having tried the Telefunken USA top of the line version of the ELAM 251 at AES, I can say it was the best sounding mic in that building. But at nearly 15 thousand dollars, it had damned well better be the best sounding one. Possibly the mic that could actually sound good on everyone, it was that good. Their C12 copy wasn't even close. The 251 was much bigger. Has anyone compared the c800g to the ELAM 251 (new or vintage) here?
For the price, the c800g more worth it that the ELAM251, especially since they both react similarly, the 251 having more of a mid range boost, while the c800g is more open in the mids and has that compression going on.

If you check out the ELAM 251e Original vs ELAM 251e New post, you'll hear that the Original does in fact have a mid boost to it, while the new one does not. The difference between a U47 type of mic and a 251 type is that the mids are not as pronounced, and there is a lot more air to the mic.

Some people like me enjoy the original ELAM better, others like the new 251 better. It's a matter of taste really! I've never tested the ELAM251e beside a c800g, most of my conclusions have been through file comparisons unfortunately. I don't know if anyone in my region has a 251.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
most of my conclusions have been through file comparisons unfortunately.
and basically reposting GS posts from others that actually work with these babies day-in day-out. Unlike many of us.

I'm "really skeptical" too Chris, how often have you worked with these mics yourself personally. How many songs have you mixed that had C800's and U47's all over it? You seem so knowledgeable and experienced on all of these mic (on all mics ever produced actually, but let's keep it OT).
Please.
Enlighten us.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

The great thong about the Sony is that if you room is good, it sounds already mixed, maybe a bit of roll off but backing up a bit while recording can take care of that. Mixing tracks recorded with a Sony is a pleasure, they stack well, don't get harsh, not hurtful mids and rarely low mids build up the only thing you might encounter is some sibilance depending on the singer. The sound is already there and it takes compression and eq very well unlike many cheaper mic which will collapse under heavy processing.
Old 5th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master View Post
and basically reposting GS posts from others that actually work with these babies day-in day-out. Unlike many of us.

I'm "really skeptical" too Chris, how often have you worked with these mics yourself personally. How many songs have you mixed that had C800's and U47's all over it? You seem so knowledgeable and experienced on all of these mic (on all mics ever produced actually, but let's keep it OT).
Please.
Enlighten us.
I've worked on many songs with the c800g and U47 (my own clients), never worked with a 251 unfortunately, but I will when the time comes.

The c800g seems 'scooped' in the right places, and if the singer is a bit sibilant, something like the Waves Rdeesser handles the Esses well.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

I spent two weeks in Detroit recording all the vocals ,lead,background,male female and otherwise on part two of a two cd project.
12 songs recorded in Philly on a 414 and 12 songs in Detroit on a c800g.
I pulled out the cd today to see if I was missing something with all of this 800g mumbo jumbo and guess what?
The 800 g does NOT sound good at all..in fact,it blows.
The entire project was recorded and mixed on an SSL G which both facilities had.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
I spent two weeks in Detroit recording all the vocals ,lead,background,male female and otherwise on part two of a two cd project.
12 songs recorded in Philly on a 414 and 12 songs in Detroit on a c800g.
I pulled out the cd today to see if I was missing something with all of this 800g mumbo jumbo and guess what?
The entire project was recorded and mixed on an SSL G which both facilities had.
The Sony you were using must have had problems or tubes that needed to be replaced (which is quite usual and frequent ) there is no way the Sony didn't blow the 414 out of the water. I have a uls here I will include it in the shout out so you can hear the difference, it's night and day
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
The Sony you were using must have had problems or tubes that needed to be replaced (which is quite usual and frequent ) there is no way the Sony didn't blow the 414 out of the water. I have a uls here I will include it in the shout out so you can hear the difference, it's night and day
Nope .
It was in perfect working orded.
I didnt say that the 414 blew the Sony away,its just that the Sony sounded VERY sterile.
I have a 414 XLS here at the studio ..I like the XLII better because of its slight mid boost.
The 414 at the SSL room was an EB

BTW..I NEVER have seen peeps so defensive about a freekin mike.
But its hip hop so its not at all unusual.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope .
It was in perfect working orded.
I didnt say that the 414 blew the Sony away,its just that the Sony sounded VERY sterile.
I have a 414 XLS here at the studio ..I like the XLII better because of its slight mid boost.
The 414 at the SSL room was an EB

BTW..I NEVER have seen peeps so defensive about a freekin mike.
But its hip hop so its not at all unusual.
Lol I'm not really defensive about it , I could care less if people like it or not , I have one and it works great for me, I'm just surprised when people say it sounded horrible, after using one for years and recording a LOT of different artists with every type of voice from rappers, RNB singers, gospel singer to WWE wrestlers, not one time the Sony sounded bad , not once. So I'm just surprised when people say it sound bad that's all. It's like saying i recorded with a neve and it sounded like ****, usually these things are pretty much "sure things" if it doesn't sound right it's not the gear it might just be that it didn't fit the artists at all or the room was bad ( only time I heard the Sony sounding a bit odd was when I was using it in a booth with auralex ...hurrg)
But again to each it's own flavor , I for example hate the sound of any newer u87 , plain harsh and muddy I would rather record with a sm58 then a modern u87, a vintage one on the other end is another story heh
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I for example hate the sound of any newer u87 , plain harsh and muddy I would rather record with a sm58 then a modern u87
Whoa! Agreed that is not the best mic out there, but let's not blow things outta proportion now.. The new 87 ain't that bad at all And it does actually sound near-identical to the vintage one in my opinion. Well perhaps the high end is a little more open and it tends to distort more easily.. Buuuuuuuut if you don't place an angry rapper 2" inches from the mic and use a clear(ala 737) mic pre you can cut some pretty decent vocals
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've worked on many songs with the c800g and U47 (my own clients), never worked with a 251 unfortunately, but I will when the time comes.

The c800g seems 'scooped' in the right places, and if the singer is a bit sibilant, something like the Waves Rdeesser handles the Esses well.
riiiight...
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Whoa! Agreed that is not the best mic out there, but let's not blow things outta proportion now.. The new 87 ain't that bad at all And it does actually sound near-identical to the vintage one in my opinion. Well perhaps the high end is a little more open and it tends to distort more easily.. Buuuuuuuut if you don't place an angry rapper 2" inches from the mic and use a clear(ala 737) mic pre you can cut some pretty decent vocals
Not it really really sucks !heh trust me if you compare a good vintage unit (with battery compartment) and a new ai version you will instantly see what I'm talk in about.
now off course it can still be used to make great recordings but thAt will demand more work in the mix that you would have to do with another mic like... The Sony
Old 6th April 2010
Quote:
riiiight...
You're funny, it must hurt for you to live with a chip on your shoulder eh? heh

I'm pumped for this shootout!
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not it really really sucks !heh trust me if you compare a good vintage unit (with battery compartment) and a new ai version you will instantly see what I'm talk in about
I did actually compared couple of vintage 87s with the never AI and the differences were negligible. The Ai has higher output, better s/n ratio and a more open/detailed sound. But other than that.. But hey.. Whatever floats your boat manthumbsup
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
riiiight...
Actually he's right! The C800G has a nice open top end but DOES NOT accentuate sibilance. If the singer have too much 'sshshhsh' going on the Rdesser can definitely tame it.
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Maniac

All this talk about the C800G has me lusting for one now! bad bad bad! Got a question though. There's tons of talk about how great this mic is... but I haven't heard much about what pre amps people are paring it with. Do you guys think there is an ideal Amp that seems to work really well or better than others with this mic? For instance...: Would a c300 work well with a colored pre like a Great River? Or is a more straight wire to gain preferred?
Old 6th April 2010
I use it with a 1073, MA5. It also sounds great with a 737.
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlacck View Post
All this talk about the C800G has me lusting for one now! bad bad bad! Got a question though. There's tons of talk about how great this mic is... but I haven't heard much about what pre amps people are paring it with. Do you guys think there is an ideal Amp that seems to work really well or better than others with this mic? For instance...: Would a c300 work well with a colored pre like a Great River? Or is a more straight wire to gain preferred?
I know the gret river works quit well for a Clean chain.
My usual pres for the sony are my Neve 1084s A-designs pacifica, UA 2-610 or avalon 737.
if you are lusting for a c800G wait until I'm done with the shout out with the JJ mic, you never know IF it sounds great, it might save you a few...THOUSAND $$$ lol heh
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lol I'm not really defensive about it , I could care less if people like it or not , I have one and it works great for me, I'm just surprised when people say it sounded horrible, after using one for years and recording a LOT of different artists with every type of voice from rappers, RNB singers, gospel singer to WWE wrestlers, not one time the Sony sounded bad , not once. So I'm just surprised when people say it sound bad that's all. It's like saying i recorded with a neve and it sounded like ****, usually these things are pretty much "sure things" if it doesn't sound right it's not the gear it might just be that it didn't fit the artists at all or the room was bad ( only time I heard the Sony sounding a bit odd was when I was using it in a booth with auralex ...hurrg)
But again to each it's own flavor , I for example hate the sound of any newer u87 , plain harsh and muddy I would rather record with a sm58 then a modern u87, a vintage one on the other end is another story heh
Would it make you happy if I said that it sounds great?
Well my bro,Im not a liar so therefore I said that I dont like it.
Is that all right with you,bro??
****,I dont like KFC chicken,but I love Popeye.

Is that cool,or do I have to eat KFC to please this board.

I dont like ****ing 800 gs...period
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:

sorry man, thats just a dumb statement. opinion or not, the c800 does not blow by any stretch of the imagination. especially compared to a 414
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlacck View Post

i usually pair it with a Neve 10XX pre. either 1073, 1084, 1081. then it depends on context what compressor i will use. either tubetech cl1b, la2a, or 1176.
Old 6th April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
sorry man, thats just a dumb statement. opinion or not, the c800 does not blow by any stretch of the imagination. especially compared to a 414
I would agree.. I have not heard a good sounding 414 that was made in the last 25-30 years. A C800G should sound better than a 414 on most sources, and in most situations.

The problem with the C800G is that a certain percentage of them have "issues". Without going into details, there are many 800G's that have problems, and I'll give PSM the benefit of the doubt and assume he used one of these.

I will also say that there is no fukkin way that a C800G should cost even HALF what it does... and this comes from a long time owner (me), who owned one years before any rapper knew what it was.

At this point, I would much rather have a U87 than a 414 or a C800-G (with price aside anyway).
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan_rashard View Post
well maybe i should start looking hard for a used one and try and save more...very hard in this type of economy...as far as people im recording..its all across the map...alot of varying voices and it kind of scares me some say the mic isnt that versitile...but i dont know...i just love the sound
Check out a brauner vm1. There is a fixed pattern vm1 lite that is a lot cheaper then the vm1. I think its the most versatile and beautiful sounding mic ever. I have used a c800 many times and would agree with however said its not the most versatile. A lot of rappers use them and it doesn't ever sound that great to me and I can't think of a male vocal that sounded good on it. It does the breathy female pop thing amazingly but I still prefer the brauner as did everyone else that stepped behind mine (when I still had it)

PS If you buy used don't get all over excited and buy blindly. Have a tech or knowledgeable engineer on standby to evaluate the mic.
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I would agree.. I have not heard a good sounding 414 that was made in the last 25-30 years. A C800G should sound better than a 414 on most sources, and in most situations.

The problem with the C800G is that a certain percentage of them have "issues". Without going into details, there are many 800G's that have problems, and I'll give PSM the benefit of the doubt and assume he used one of these.

I will also say that there is no fukkin way that a C800G should cost even HALF what it does... and this comes from a long time owner (me), who owned one years before any rapper knew what it was.

At this point, I would much rather have a U87 than a 414 or a C800-G (with price aside anyway).
Could have been a bad one,I really havent got a comparison because it was the first and only experience with one and it was just way too sterile sounding for my taste.
I used the mike in Detroit at tudio A which is inho the best studio in Detroit and with a large and varied client base from Aretha to Eminem,from Anita Baker to D 12..you name it.I never said it was a bad mike,just not for me and what IM USED TO.
To sterile sounding for ME.
Im out.
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I dont like ****ing 800 gs...period
With all due respect there Philly.. You can like whaccha want, but when 90 people out 100 are saying that this mike IS good...You just can't express yourself like a child who's saying "i don't like it" If you do hip hop that's the mic of choice. PERIOD. Weather you like or not.. So i suggest you two should get to know each other a little better. You might change your mind after all;-)
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
I never said it was a bad mike

???

Quote:

Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

when I'm grabbing a c800, it's for a crystal clear sound. I'll link it up the APIs or the SSL pres. But really, any high quality pre will do.
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Sometimes vocalists require from me RnB type of sound, although I don't do RnB productions. I rented several times Sony mics, but also got appropriate results with Brauner VM1 + little play with tube EQ and compressors. Not big deal or hours of tweaking.
Brauner is not cost effective solution per OP question, but IMO it offers starting point to get great manipulated/enhanced sound people are very often looking for.
I don't think there is any special magic in c800g, it's one trick pony mich that more often doesn't fit to task and de-equalizing it is already harder to achieve.
Before shelling out money for it, good idea is to try Brauners, not as replacment, but better mics that offer top quality base for getting many sounds with small help of pre-eq-comp chain.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search