The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
c800g Condenser Microphones
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Where did we say it is a CLONE?
I was confused by your statement that calls the Akita a replacement for the C800g.
Quote:
I think that considering you can buy an Akita for less than 1k, you'll be seeing them quite a bit in studios in the next few years as a viable stand in for the 800g. Not because its a freq for freq match but because its gets you so close its not worth paying an additional 7k for.

I remember the response that another company got for their attempt at the 800g and so far we haven't been getting that reaction from people who has used the Akita, but rather the opposite.

Peace
Illumination
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Manley Reference Cardiod or Lauten Oceanus...
Old 4th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx View Post
Manley Reference Cardiod or Lauten Oceanus...
The Oceanus does not sound like a c800g. Not Even Close!
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
I am a sucker for Jags.
Ive had three different ones.
And of course I had enormous repair bills until I made friends with a young man from the Soviet Union who relocated to Philly and opened his own shop and was extremely good and extremely honest.
But the last XJ 6 Vanden Plas I owned although gorgeous,had two trans problems and that was it.

However,I am now looking at the new and very gorgeous 2010 completly re vamped XJ and Im in lust
Yeah that new XJ is gorgeous!
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Where did we say it is a CLONE?

Again I apologize to the OP and others who may feel offended by my participatory efforts in this thread.

Peace
Illumination
i dont have a problem, i thought your information was very informative and i would like to hear more from you, i started the thread and i think its only fair that everybody weigh in.
Old 5th April 2010
did not like it that much

Hi all,

I recently recorded a male singer in another studio and they have a Sony 800G.
We ended up using an AKG C-414 instead, warmer, fuller, with more body.

I was not impressed by the Sony, to be honest.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noize_organizer View Post
Hi all,

C414 is a good compliment piece to a C800 - often where one fails the other will succeed. Sometimes warmth and body isn't what you need - sometimes you need clarity, space, and punch, in which case the c800 is a good bet.

Out of curiosity, how close was the singer to the mic, and how large was the room you tracked in?
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all,

Another thing some inexperienced peeps sometime forget,is setting the correct polar pattern,cut filter(if needed) pad (if needed).
These very important things come into play when recording vocals of any kind.
The warmth and fullness you hear might be attributed to an omni polar pattern as opposed to a cardioid or hyper cardioid pattern,as well as mike placement...on axis,off axis,height etc.,as well as the pre amp used.
You just cant throw a mike up and expect it to perform correctly without proper knowledge of all the above and its relation to your recording environment.

Recording vocals is a VERY specialized art and one must experiment alot before arriving at your desired results.
Old 5th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Another thing some inexperienced peeps sometime forget,is setting the correct polar pattern,cut filter(if needed) pad (if needed).
These very important things come into play when recording vocals of any kind.
The warmth and fullness you hear might be attributed to an omni polar pattern as opposed to a cardioid or hyper cardioid pattern,as well as mike placement...on axis,off axis,height etc.
You just cant throw a mike up and expect it to perform correctly without proper knowledge of all the above and its relation to your recording environment.

Recording vocals is a VERY specialized art and one must experiment alot before arriving at your desired results.
And one needs a great room to be able to use all the patterns too!
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
And one needs a great room to be able to use all the patterns too!
Absolutely so!!
There are SO many variables which come into play that the novice engineer MUST know before just slapping a mike up.
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Nut

what qualifies as a "great room"..dimensions please lol...i kinda know what you mean
Old 5th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan_rashard View Post
what qualifies as a "great room"..dimensions please lol...i kinda know what you mean
Well it has to be treated with traps, it needs diffusers etc etc. It's hard to use omni in a crappy room. It'll reverberate everywhere.
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Nut

so is there a set of hard rules when it comes to rooms like certain ceiling heights, angled walls and so forth???
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its really self explanatory,bro.
You must have a well treated room in which to record and mix.
My honest advice would be to read all you can about room treatment /environment.
It all has a purpose.
You must know where to put absorbers,diffusers,traps,relative to the dimensions of your room.
The best thing to do is hire a pro to do it right.
Auralex has a service whereby you can send them the dimensions of your room and they will give you some suggestions on what to buy and where to place it.
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Nut

i watch a lot of "in the studio videos" just to get a glimse of what the professional recording process is like and i see alot of artists in these less than ideal recording spaces...some look they're in little cubicles surrounded by some ordinary blankets...far from the super technical setups i hear about...dont get me wrong the gear they use is very high tech but as far as setting up to record...doesnt look all that difficult....am i missing something
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all,

that must have been one busted ass C800G!!! I've never met a 414 that could begin to hang with a C800G in a fire fight and had them next to each other in blind shootouts many times. However, i'll keep an open mind that certain mics just sound great on certain people and not others, but i think in all my years of recording, one person sounded terrible on my C800G and not much better on a couple other choices. Otherwise, its the most consistently awesome mic i've ever used.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
that must have been one busted ass C800G!!! I've never met a 414 that could begin to hang with a C800G in a fire fight and had them next to each other in blind shootouts many times. However, i'll keep an open mind that certain mics just sound great on certain people and not others, but i think in all my years of recording, one person sounded terrible on my C800G and not much better on a couple other choices. Otherwise, its the most consistently awesome mic i've ever used.
+1 I have both and every time I did a shoot out between both, the c800 made the c414 sound like a mud box!
The akg is a cool mic but the c800 blows it out of the water on "most" voices
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Though I'd never be able to spend $8000+ on a mic, I'm wondering what this mic sounds like stock, with no compression/effects/etc. Also, is this mic really versatile, or does it only sound best on some voices.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott! View Post
Though I'd never be able to spend $8000+ on a mic, I'm wondering what this mic sounds like stock, with no compression/effects/etc. Also, is this mic really versatile, or does it only sound best on some voices.
the mic sounds amazing straight in. As i said earlier, i think i've had mine for 13 or 14 years and almost everyone i've ever put behind this mic sounds great. And, though i've only done maybe a dozen or two real shootouts with this mic over the years against great mics, it has never lost in blind shootouts where the producer is picking their favorite mic by ear. My C800G has beaten U47's, C12's, 414's, you name it. I've used this mic to record the likes of Usher, Diana Ross, Mary J Blige, etc....

Having said all that, there are certainly many great vocal recording mics. This is one of them. Sure, it costs a boatload of money and times are tough. If you make your living recording vocals this is probably a good investment. I'll have mine til i die. Not many other pieces in my collection i can definitively say that about. And this thing thru the Groove Tubes Vipre is the most 3 dimensional vocal sound i've gotten. I thought my GML pre sounded good til i got the Vipre. what was i thinking?
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Maniac

^ I'll take his word for it.. heh
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Maniac

I found a youtube video of an acoustic recording session where they used a Neumann U67 and the Sony c800g. For the acoustic guitar....they used the c800g. They used the Neumann U67 for vocals.
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
I found a youtube video of an acoustic recording session where they used a Neumann U67 and the Sony c800g. For the acoustic guitar....they used the c800g. They used the Neumann U67 for vocals.

i've never used the c800g in that application, but i can see how it would work pretty well.

i'm partial to the km84 and u47 or u87 combo. but i might have to try the c800 next time. thumbsup
Old 5th April 2010
Quote:
If you check his other videos, he uses a Brauner Vm1 on his vox... Sounds awesome, so much better than the U67 for his voice.
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Even through the youtube quality, the guitar sounded pretty darn good. He has an awesome voice too and maybe the c800g didn't fit his voice as well??
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
i watch a lot of "in the studio videos" just to get a glimse of what the professional recording process is like and i see alot of artists in these less than ideal recording spaces...some look they're in little cubicles surrounded by some ordinary blankets...far from the super technical setups i hear about...dont get me wrong the gear they use is very high tech but as far as setting up to record...doesnt look all that difficult....am i missing something
You were probably watching some crappy rap videos recorded in some crappy studio where no thought was taken re acoustical treatment.
But in the PRO world,in order to have a PRO sounding recording you must have`a well treated room.

And setting up to record IS difficult if you dont know **** about recording.
Buy all the books and video tutorials you can on recording.
And not recording just hip hop but recording EVERYTHING.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
the mic sounds amazing straight in. As i said earlier, i think i've had mine for 13 or 14 years and almost everyone i've ever put behind this mic sounds great. And, though i've only done maybe a dozen or two real shootouts with this mic over the years against great mics, it has never lost in blind shootouts where the producer is picking their favorite mic by ear. My C800G has beaten U47's, C12's, 414's, you name it. I've used this mic to record the likes of Usher, Diana Ross, Mary J Blige, etc....
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Nut

it would be cool to get some hints from pro's like like you, i have read a fair amount on recording, in fact ive been doing so for the past few years...
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
it would be cool to get some hints from pro's like like you, i have read a fair amount on recording, in fact ive been doing so for the past few years...
Not exactly a "hint",but a really understanding and then applying what you read relative to your needs ,is first and foremost.

Try and construct an isolation space about 10 x 8 with a 10 foot ceiling.
Make sure that there are no parallell walls and that the ceiling is angled.

Go to www.auralex.com and read it carefully and then choosing and then ordering your supplies.
They arent cheap.
You dont want a space that is totally dead,but a happy medioum between absortive and reflective.
Or you can go to www.realtraps.com and then decide between the two.
It will not be easy but it will be worth it.
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Nut

thanks for the advice philly.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks for the advice philly.
Let me know how you make out and if you need additional help,you can always pm me and i'll be more than happy to assistheh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search