The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
c800g Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master View Post
Please.
The JJ team (+fanboys) basically shoved the Akita down the OP's throat. Taking some others along the way.
Mdjice's suggestion to try a Manley was actually a very logical one, but was obliviated in the midst of all this JJ advertising.
I thought we had forum rules, but I guess those only count for some of us.

thank you for reminding me why I shouldn't come here anymore.
This site is called Gear Slutz and the last time I checked,microphones are considered "gear".
That is what we are supposed to discuss here.
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Now i got a question, which 6au6a are you using in the mic? Because Sony makes their own and that's a big part of the sound, after testing a few different type of tubes, the best one for the Sony is there's it's also longer , when I bought the mic (used) it had 3 not Sony tubes in it (2 un PSU)
I right away switched to the Sony ones (only availbale thru Sony if I'm nit mistaking) and it really made a big difference, better bigger sound and that natural compression I was talking about earlier. I think if you guys could manage to put a REAL Sony tube in it it would make a difference,
waiting on the mics to get here, I'll post videos of the shout out
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
Now i got a question, which 6au6a are you using in the mic? Because Sony makes their own and that's a big part of the sound, after testing a few different type of tubes, the best one for the Sony is there's it's also longer , when I bought the mic (used) it had 3 not Sony tubes in it (2 un PSU)
I right away switched to the Sony ones (only availbale thru Sony if I'm nit mistaking) and it really made a big difference, better bigger sound and that natural compression I was talking about earlier. I think if you guys could manage to put a REAL Sony tube in it it would make a difference,
waiting on the mics to get here, I'll post videos of the shout out
I do not think Sony has their own tube factory they source them elsewhere. The tube I use is longer than the 6au6a and I believe it is the same as the Sony. Very nice sound and very low noise.

This tube is part of the overall sound of the C800g and one of the reasons it sounds soooo good. I have a stash of these tubes and I am not releasing any other information about this tube.

If I tell ya I am gonna hafta kill ya!!!

Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please.
The JJ team (+fanboys) basically shoved the Akita down the OP's throat. Taking some others along the way.
Mdjice's suggestion to try a Manley was actually a very logical one, but was obliviated in the midst of all this JJ advertising.

I think I fall into this category of being a JJ Fanboy. I think regardless of who is selling what - and I agree that there's some pretty heavy sales pitching here - if the mic stands up to the c800, and costs significantly less - than the OP wins, Mj wins, the JJ guys win, I don't get anything, and anybody else who is looking to buy a high quality mic for less money wins.

If you look at the top right hand corner of your screen, you will see an advertisement. If you look through this thread you will see what started as an aside pitch (half a sentence, in parenthesis, made by Illacov), then become fleshed out by others, and the information then provided by JJ's team. If the gals/guys who designed the c800g were here, I'm sure they would have plenty to say on this subject as well.

If the question is a less expensive mic that performs similarly to the c800g, then Akita is a legitimate answer regardless of who states it.

Also bare in mind that Illacov has serious ADD which seems to gravitate toward tech talk. Get him talking about technical stuff, and the only way to stop him - is to kill him. Otherwise he will geek away about tubes and transformers, and transistors, and transit systems until the tubes in your preamp burn out. What sounds like sales pitching is really him geeking out. Which is good because he's one of the few people on this board I can reliably ask when I have a question regarding all of the aforementioned geekery.

Again - and I made this comment about kick drums and c800 when PSM asked "why do we keep talking about these two subjects" - I say, we should hear more from sony, shiny box, michael joly, royer, blue, etc etc. Not less from JJ. They are here to inform us. Shoot, I wish Rode was as accessible, I can't even get my proprietary power supply fixed because I don't have the receipt from six years ago (no more Rode purchases for me, that's for sure/shure). Point is, if this is advertising, it's a hell of a lot more useful and effective than the SSL add up in the corner.

Just sayin' - and you know you're the man Dutch.
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat View Post
I do not think Sony has their own tube factory they source them elsewhere. The tube I use is longer than the 6au6a and I believe it is the same as the Sony. Very nice sound and very low noise.

This tube is part of the overall sound of the C800g and one of the reasons it sounds soooo good. I have a stash of these tubes and I am not releasing any other information about this tube.

cool!
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
cool!

Does this look like it????

Makes you want to go HHHmmmmmm

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Attached Thumbnails
c800g-p4020142.jpg  
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

BTW how much are you guys that own 800Gs paying for your replacement tubes in your 800G??

That dual tube rectifier in the 800G power supply is beyond impressive.

That's what I call a hot mic!

We used a solid state design for our power supply instead. We certainly didn't neglect how much spent in parts in there though. Nice good USA made power supply transformer!!

And what's with the complaints about our team?

You guys must be tired of Sony, Manley, Neumann, Telefunken et al, sending over their electronics engineers and mic designers to the hip hop forum to hear what the engineers over here need or want out of a mic (OOOPS!!)

Remember, we are designing and making the things we offer. Again the 800G is like THE mic for hip hop and r and b. Period. Its not my personal favorite (U67 fanboys stand up!) but I can understand the love for it. The built in compression in the 6au6a tube circuit acts like an grabber/exciter of sorts (btw Mickaël we have that in the Akita too!) adds another stage of grab into the signal chain, so when you follow it with another juicy compressor you're adding to the body of the signal and also adds more THD etc..you can see maybe where I'm going.

This is why I'm telling people about the Akita because we are literally here offering people a chance to voice their opinion on the mic. If Mickaël says hey I need more top end or the this or the that or it would be nicer if only this was this way, well we are a company that takes that mic back into our hands, adjusts and lets the client evaluate it further. So far as far as I can tell, people released mics that were supposed to fill the 800G gap, that didn't tickle people's fancy and despite what people said, the mic's weren't taken back on the bench and resolved to address whatever issues respected working engineers said about them.

We are different. We want to satisfy people across a broad spectrum.

And yes we are in the hip hop forum trying to get to that very place. If only the developers from other companies that cater moreso to hip hop demographics were on here like

"Hey! who wants a better loop function on this piece of gear?"

"Or what do you want out of this dj program??"

As much as I see the gripes etc...we are still doing something here that I feel is worthwhile and if you think about it, if there were more open public discussions about gear with the developers and the prospective demographics, we'd have alot better equipment available. IMHO.

Sorry I just so happen to be the messenger. If you look at my posts, in 6 years time I have done my share of contributing to this forum, regarding recording technique, equipment purchases, trouble shooting gear problems, participating in mix offs (across the board on most of the forums here) etc...

If I'm ever fortunate to meet some of you guys in person then you'd understand I'm not some guy with dollar signs on his jacket just trying to make a buck. Alot of you guys are my peers and colleagues. I have alot of respect and love for this forum. If I didn't I wouldn't have made a big deal out of catering to the very important hip hop demographic (hey we buy gear too!!) with our line of microphones (which are priced for guys just starting out with an mpc and an mbox!!). I have spent just as many convos with people, talking to them about how the U67 is a good mic, as is the U87 or the 251 or the 800G.

If this is what makes me a "salesman," I guess so. But I'm just as deep into these tube mic schematics, calling up companies like Crimson Audio, Cinemag, Jensen, Tab Funkenwerk etc..discussing inductance, henries, etc..as I am discussing voltage dividers, plate resistance and cathode resistors. I was just on the phone the other day with Dave Pearlman and to me that just trips me up because here I am just a kid from the hood, trying to get some good things going for the mic shops here in the States (we want more USA made parts available period!) and Dave Pearlman and I are just kickin it. Too cool! He said he had some crazy collection of equipment (OMG!!)

And yet 90% of the time lately when I'm mixing, I'm bumping some hip hop out of my monitors. Buying gear and thinking, this **** will sound sick on a kick drum or make the snares PHAT!!

That's how I think...And I also apply that philosophy to our microphones. At the end of the day, the 800G is just another tool....But what a tool! Hopefully the Akita is going to turn some heads in that regard too.
(gets off soapbox) Sorry for the long post....

Peace
Illumination
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

I am curious and a bit skeptical, but hope to be proven wrong. I thought Korby, who is a go to for C800g tuning and repair, would nail the Sony w/ his KAT800 and Korby White, but he didn't. The Peluso VTB was built up and advertised as a Sony mic replacement and it fell way short.

Good luck to you JJ guys.
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

I pay around $67 or so per tube from sony, my last tube / shield replacement bill was around $300...ouch yes the Sony is fragile and expensive..My mic cable on the Sony is starting to tear apart, I will need a replacment soon, If i remember well they are charging 200 to $300 for a new cable..available ONLY at Sony
it's the price of owning high end gear,if you can't afford the maintance don't buy it to start with. My Stingray cost me $20.000 in repair last year, my wife's benz cost me $11.000... don't expect to have less problem with more expensive items, all it does actually is raise the price of maintance and repairs.
I tried the VTB it sucked, The Manley is great but is still double the price of the JJ mic if I'm not mistaking, the deal is even if their mic is in the 90% ballpark of the Sony , at this price point it's a winner in my book
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does this look like it????

Makes you want to go HHHmmmmmm

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
looks like the one on the right
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Just for the sake of geekdom, here's what's going down to mjdice:

JJ Audio Mics Akita with:

NOS Neumann K67 capsule
The tube we're sourcing
Jensen transformer
Multi Pattern Tube Power Supply

This is the version we chose to send to Cold Chamber because normally a studio like this would want the souped up, top shelf version of the microphone.

just for the sake of honesty in advertising...whats the price point for both versions?
Old 3rd April 2010
I'm copying, pasting:

Akita stock config is 950, the stock capsule is free.

Akita w/Neumann K67 is 1350. We can buy the capsule from ebay for you or you can buy it and have it shipped to our shop from the ebay seller.

our paint supplier is this company:
duplicolor.com

And please, when you make the shootout, do not put the names right away
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
I'm copying, pasting:

Akita stock config is 950, the stock capsule is free.

Akita w/Neumann K67 is 1350. We can buy the capsule from ebay for you or you can buy it and have it shipped to our shop from the ebay seller.

our paint supplier is this company:
duplicolor.com

And please, when you make the shootout, do not put the names right away
Of course not! It should be a poll and watch the suspicions rise!!

BTW we're sourcing the parts today as a matter of fact for the Cold Chamber shootout, as well as 2 other lucky gents who have bought Akitas!

Peace
Illumination
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
BTW how much are you guys that own 800Gs paying for your replacement tubes in your 800G??

That dual tube rectifier in the 800G power supply is beyond impressive.

That's what I call a hot mic!

We used a solid state design for our power supply instead. We certainly didn't neglect how much spent in parts in there though. Nice good USA made power supply transformer!!

And what's with the complaints about our team?

You guys must be tired of Sony, Manley, Neumann, Telefunken et al, sending over their electronics engineers and mic designers to the hip hop forum to hear what the engineers over here need or want out of a mic (OOOPS!!)

Remember, we are designing and making the things we offer. Again the 800G is like THE mic for hip hop and r and b. Period. Its not my personal favorite (U67 fanboys stand up!) but I can understand the love for it. The built in compression in the 6au6a tube circuit acts like an grabber/exciter of sorts (btw Mickaël we have that in the Akita too!) adds another stage of grab into the signal chain, so when you follow it with another juicy compressor you're adding to the body of the signal and also adds more THD etc..you can see maybe where I'm going.

This is why I'm telling people about the Akita because we are literally here offering people a chance to voice their opinion on the mic. If Mickaël says hey I need more top end or the this or the that or it would be nicer if only this was this way, well we are a company that takes that mic back into our hands, adjusts and lets the client evaluate it further. So far as far as I can tell, people released mics that were supposed to fill the 800G gap, that didn't tickle people's fancy and despite what people said, the mic's weren't taken back on the bench and resolved to address whatever issues respected working engineers said about them.

We are different. We want to satisfy people across a broad spectrum.

And yes we are in the hip hop forum trying to get to that very place. If only the developers from other companies that cater moreso to hip hop demographics were on here like

"Hey! who wants a better loop function on this piece of gear?"

"Or what do you want out of this dj program??"

As much as I see the gripes etc...we are still doing something here that I feel is worthwhile and if you think about it, if there were more open public discussions about gear with the developers and the prospective demographics, we'd have alot better equipment available. IMHO.

Sorry I just so happen to be the messenger. If you look at my posts, in 6 years time I have done my share of contributing to this forum, regarding recording technique, equipment purchases, trouble shooting gear problems, participating in mix offs (across the board on most of the forums here) etc...

If I'm ever fortunate to meet some of you guys in person then you'd understand I'm not some guy with dollar signs on his jacket just trying to make a buck. Alot of you guys are my peers and colleagues. I have alot of respect and love for this forum. If I didn't I wouldn't have made a big deal out of catering to the very important hip hop demographic (hey we buy gear too!!) with our line of microphones (which are priced for guys just starting out with an mpc and an mbox!!). I have spent just as many convos with people, talking to them about how the U67 is a good mic, as is the U87 or the 251 or the 800G.

If this is what makes me a "salesman," I guess so. But I'm just as deep into these tube mic schematics, calling up companies like Crimson Audio, Cinemag, Jensen, Tab Funkenwerk etc..discussing inductance, henries, etc..as I am discussing voltage dividers, plate resistance and cathode resistors. I was just on the phone the other day with Dave Pearlman and to me that just trips me up because here I am just a kid from the hood, trying to get some good things going for the mic shops here in the States (we want more USA made parts available period!) and Dave Pearlman and I are just kickin it. Too cool! He said he had some crazy collection of equipment (OMG!!)

And yet 90% of the time lately when I'm mixing, I'm bumping some hip hop out of my monitors. Buying gear and thinking, this **** will sound sick on a kick drum or make the snares PHAT!!

That's how I think...And I also apply that philosophy to our microphones. At the end of the day, the 800G is just another tool....But what a tool! Hopefully the Akita is going to turn some heads in that regard too.
(gets off soapbox) Sorry for the long post....

Peace
Illumination
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Maniac

Too much talking in this thread...ahhhh..

Same post everytime...

Akita FTW
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please.

I've never heard or used a Manley nor did I discount that its a viable option because I too have been told its very close in sound to the c800g. Its funny that you state that the recommendation of the Manley is a logical one but the suggestion of an Akita is Illogical?!?! Thank you for reminding me why I usually keep my mouth shut even when i think i can be of help on here!

I find it odd and I'm not even singling you out, but GS in general has a weird intolerance for anything that's not part of the pro audio Hierarchy. If you suggest something from JJ, Beesneez or peluso for that matter you become a "fanboy" but no matter how much a telefunken, great river or other various GS standards are recommended, thats considered acceptable. It's almost as if the underlying message here is "don't start a new company, and if you do, don't expect us to take it seriously"

Don't know what I did to be considered a fanboy but i think its awesome that not only the thread starter but everyone else interested in getting the c800g sound, now gets a chance to hear a comparison before they make their purchase. And its pretty easy to go out and rent a Manley for yet another option.

Sorry that I don't share your viewpoint, I honestly can't see how everyone doesn't benefit from threads like this!
Old 4th April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaD View Post
I've never heard or used a Manley nor did I discount that its a viable option because I too have been told its very close in sound to the c800g. Its funny that you state that the recommendation of the Manley is a logical one but the suggestion of an Akita is Illogical?!?! Thank you for reminding me why I usually keep my mouth shut even when i think i can be of help on here!

I find it odd and I'm not even singling you out, but GS in general has a weird intolerance for anything that's not part of the pro audio Hierarchy. If you suggest something from JJ, Beesneez or peluso for that matter you become a "fanboy" but no matter how much a telefunken, great river or other various GS standards are recommended, thats considered acceptable. It's almost as if the underlying message here is "don't start a new company, and if you do, don't expect us to take it seriously"
I think the problem here is that the manufacturer recommended their own product in this thread... this is frowned upon, and is to be avoided. Manufacturer's need to realize there is a different set of rules for them, and they need to learn to abide by them. For instance, recommending your own products is a big no-no. But, answering a question about your product when asked is encouraged.

Next time this occurs, I will have to give an infraction so these threads don't become train wrecks in the future.
Old 4th April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by populardemand View Post
The Peluso VTB was built up and advertised as a Sony mic replacement and it fell way short.
The major flaw with the VTB was it lacked the headroom of the 800-G... Sonically, it was very C800-G like, but once it was pushed a little, it lost it. And, unfortunately, it was a pretty fine line. For the few who are able to walk that tight rope... they get great results. Others, not so much.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I think the problem here is that the manufacturer recommended their own product in this thread... this is frowned upon, and is to be avoided. Manufacturer's need to realize there is a different set of rules for them, and they need to learn to abide by them. For instance, recommending your own products is a big no-no. But, answering a question about your product when asked is encouraged.

Next time this occurs, I will have to give an infraction so these threads don't become train wrecks in the future.
I'm talking explicitly about my involvement in the thread and the "fan boy" moniker that gets thrown around. I can see what you stated above leaving a sour taste in a persons mouth but for some to dismiss actual users opinions and throwing them all in the same group is a little much.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
I think I fall into this category of being a JJ Fanboy. I think regardless of who is selling what - and I agree that there's some pretty heavy sales pitching here - if the mic stands up to the c800, and costs significantly less - than the OP wins, Mj wins, the JJ guys win, I don't get anything, and anybody else who is looking to buy a high quality mic for less money wins.

If you look at the top right hand corner of your screen, you will see an advertisement. If you look through this thread you will see what started as an aside pitch (half a sentence, in parenthesis, made by Illacov), then become fleshed out by others, and the information then provided by JJ's team. If the gals/guys who designed the c800g were here, I'm sure they would have plenty to say on this subject as well.

If the question is a less expensive mic that performs similarly to the c800g, then Akita is a legitimate answer regardless of who states it.

Also bare in mind that Illacov has serious ADD which seems to gravitate toward tech talk. Get him talking about technical stuff, and the only way to stop him - is to kill him. Otherwise he will geek away about tubes and transformers, and transistors, and transit systems until the tubes in your preamp burn out. What sounds like sales pitching is really him geeking out. Which is good because he's one of the few people on this board I can reliably ask when I have a question regarding all of the aforementioned geekery.

Again - and I made this comment about kick drums and c800 when PSM asked "why do we keep talking about these two subjects" - I say, we should hear more from sony, shiny box, michael joly, royer, blue, etc etc. Not less from JJ. They are here to inform us. Shoot, I wish Rode was as accessible, I can't even get my proprietary power supply fixed because I don't have the receipt from six years ago (no more Rode purchases for me, that's for sure/shure). Point is, if this is advertising, it's a hell of a lot more useful and effective than the SSL add up in the corner.

Just sayin' - and you know you're the man Dutch.
Count me in as fan boy number 1...and proud of it!!
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Have any of the self proclaimed "fanboys" or others beyond the manufacturer/retailer used this Akita microphone? The politics of rooting for the little microphone that could against the giant expensive company naturally makes people fans of the little guy, but I don't see how anyone can vouch for something they have never used. Just recently Studio One was the greatest DAW to come down the pike....until the demo came out.

If JJ can make this mic sound like a sony for $1k, they are going to sell alot of them.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have any of the self proclaimed "fanboys" or others beyond the manufacturer/retailer used this Akita microphone? The politics of rooting for the little microphone that could against the giant expensive company naturally makes people fans of the little guy, but I don't see how anyone can vouch for something they have never used. Just recently Studio One was the greatest DAW to come down the pike....until the demo came out.

If JJ can make this mic sound like a sony for $1k, they are going to sell alot of them.
Yes they are.....
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have any of the self proclaimed "fanboys" or others beyond the manufacturer/retailer used this Akita microphone?

Yes. Though I'd like to add that I'm a c800g fanboy, u87 fanboy, u67 fanboy, lawson 47, ifet7, soundelux 251, royer 121, 122, sm57, sm7, re20, blue bottle, manley gold, beyer 160, beyer m300, b&k, earthworks......... etc etc.

The politics of rooting for the little microphone that could against the giant expensive company naturally makes people fans of the little guy, but I don't see how anyone can vouch for something they have never used.

I disagree with the first part. I think the more common response is "there's no way a 1k microphone made by a new microphone company can match up to a 5k mic made by Sony." I personally haven't compared the two side by side - so I'm not sure how it will stack up. All I know is that I used it, and I liked - very impressed by how it captured vocals farther back, not so happy about how it captured vocals very close. Kind of like a c800. On the latter point, I agree - you can't really vouch for something you haven't used.

Just recently Studio One was the greatest DAW to come down the pike....until the demo came out.

Tru dat.

I'd also like to add that this somehow got lost in translation: the Akita is not meant to replace a c800g. It has a similar sound, and a very similar action. But the two are not the same - one does not replace the other.
But just to be clear - I'm not really a "fan boy". As agreed with Langston and Jim prior to any discussions on gearslutz, I will be completely open with my ears on any of the mics I used. I would only like to disclaim that (a) My experience with these mics were on a limited basis and (b) everyone hears things differently.

But if I feel positively about something, I will say that as well.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

well you know what I'm NOT a JJ mics fan boy at all, I actually never heard of them before this thread and I already have a Sony...yet I'm very curious to get this shout out done!
I mean if the Sony sounds miles away better then at least people will know...however if it sounds very close...or BETTER well.... people will know as well I'm not looking into buying a new C800G and I'm not a fan boy, I will just do a Plain simple and honnest shout out, you guys will be the judge of the results
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I pay around $67 or so per tube from sony, my last tube / shield replacement bill was around $300...ouch yes the Sony is fragile and expensive..My mic cable on the Sony is starting to tear apart, I will need a replacment soon, If i remember well they are charging 200 to $300 for a new cable..available ONLY at Sony
it's the price of owning high end gear,if you can't afford the maintance don't buy it to start with. My Stingray cost me $20.000 in repair last year, my wife's benz cost me $11.000... don't expect to have less problem with more expensive items, all it does actually is raise the price of maintance and repairs.
I tried the VTB it sucked, The Manley is great but is still double the price of the JJ mic if I'm not mistaking, the deal is even if their mic is in the 90% ballpark of the Sony , at this price point it's a winner in my book
Be happy that you dont own a Ferrari or Jag regarding expense bills.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
I'd also like to add that this somehow got lost in translation: the Akita is not meant to replace a c800g. It has a similar sound, and a very similar action. But the two are not the same - one does not replace the other.
Then I must be lost. This thread is about the c800g. The JJ guys said their mic is a top notch clone of the c800g. "Why spend $7k more on a c800g" was a few statements given on this thread by posters. JJ guys said it uses same long tube as c800g, etc. Thus my conclusion is it is meant as an replacement for the c800g at 1/7 of the price.

I admit to being skeptical after doing the disappointing Korby & VTB tests but I wish them nothing but good will and hope it does come close. would be perfect for the road.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Be happy that you dont own a Ferrari or Jag regarding expense bills.
u ain't lying...I drove a Jag for a very short whie...NEVER AGAIN they are POS!! my friend has ferrari and he had to fix a side view
mirror...$4000 and retouch the pain on the side a bit.... no thx
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
u ain't lying...I drove a Jag for a very short whie...NEVER AGAIN they are POS!! my friend has ferrari and he had to fix a side view
mirror...$4000 and retouch the pain on the side a bit.... no thx
I am a sucker for Jags.
Ive had three different ones.
And of course I had enormous repair bills until I made friends with a young man from the Soviet Union who relocated to Philly and opened his own shop and was extremely good and extremely honest.
But the last XJ 6 Vanden Plas I owned although gorgeous,had two trans problems and that was it.

However,I am now looking at the new and very gorgeous 2010 completly re vamped XJ and Im in lust
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Then I must be lost. This thread is about the c800g. The JJ guys said their mic is a top notch clone of the c800g. "Why spend $7k more on a c800g" was a few statements given on this thread by posters. JJ guys said it uses same long tube as c800g, etc. Thus my conclusion is it is meant as an replacement for the c800g at 1/7 of the price.

I admit to being skeptical after doing the disappointing Korby & VTB tests but I wish them nothing but good will and hope it does come close. would be perfect for the road.
If they did, then I humbly beg to differ. I think the Akita is similar in sound - but I think "clone" is an incorrect statement. If I'm not incorrect I think the tube is the same, the circuit is similar, and the capsule is a different capsule. Again I didn't side by side them, but c800s are pretty quickly recognizable in how they sound and perform - and my immediate reaction to the Akita was not "this sounds just like a c800."
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Where did we say it is a CLONE?

By the same gesture one could draw that the 800g borrows heavily from the Schoeps CM61. But the 800g is not a clone of the Schoeps, but here we have the 6au6 circuit from at least two decades and change before the 800g was released.

Take a listen to the clip and tell me if that sound reminds you of something...

Schoeps CM61

I will openly apologize if folks feel I went overboard discussing how the 800g is designed vs our microphone or if they think I only (now after 6 years) have an interest in making a sale on the hip hop forum.

I think I will stay out of this thread from this point, seeing that maybe my participation has ticked off a few folks and also landed me in the hotseat. So we will just send the mics to Cold Chamber and mjdice can start a new thread.

Again I apologize to the OP and others who may feel offended by my participatory efforts in this thread.

Peace
Illumination

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search