The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
c800g Condenser Microphones
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Addict

The mic's name alone can bring you new clients though. You cannot argue that. Whether or not it brings you enough to pay it off is a whole other issue.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityDump Records View Post
The mic's name alone can bring you new clients though. You cannot argue that. Whether or not it brings you enough to pay it off is a whole other issue.
yes,...but I'm not out to impress anyone with expensive mikes.
The SOUND of my studio usually impresses the clients who hear it wish to work there.
I dont record any unsolicited rappers or those who are into tbe bling factor.

Ive heard certain people say."man.he got the flat screen so the sound gonna be bangin"
So having said that,I dont need any idiots around me..Im too old for that ****
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-Rilla View Post
can the JJ promo team back off the discussion now?

welcome to Gearslutz! get used to it.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
yes,...but I'm not out to impress anyone with expensive mikes.
The SOUND of my studio usually impresses the clients who hear it wish to work there.
I dont record any unsolicited rappers or those who are into tbe bling factor.

Ive heard certain people say."man.he got the flat screen so the sound gonna be bangin"
So having said that,I dont need any idiots around me..Im too old for that ****
LOL .

Yea im a young buck so I gota mess with cancellations and people who just come in and waste their money (ill take it but would rather them actually make some good music)

Hopefully I can build a name up slowly and be more picky.

D-12 did that blue and yellow purpule pillz track in naptown and they specifically asked for that mic and thats one of the reasons the studio got em because they had it ready to roll.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityDump Records View Post
LOL .

Yea im a young buck so I gota mess with cancellations and people who just come in and waste their money (ill take it but would rather them actually make some good music)

Hopefully I can build a name up slowly and be more picky.

D-12 did that blue and yellow purpule pillz track in naptown and they specifically asked for that mic and thats one of the reasons the studio got em because they had it ready to roll.
Believe it or not,the first time i experienced an earthquake was in Indianapolis when I was in my hotel bathroom.
I thought that I took a hard crap
Got up and had to hold on tho the walls.
It was quite a long time ago and very unusual for the "nap"
Its probably documented somewhere in the city records...the quake not the hard crap
Old 1st April 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J CraQ View Post
go rilla has been sent on a mission for the destruction of philly... lets get ready to rumblllllllle.. round 1
It was either him or Lago heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
welcome to Gearslutz! get used to it.
Been lurking long enough to know the deal, just seemed like a weird thread to start advertising.

Quote:
Hes more of a female chimp than a male go-rilla
Wheres my banana????
Hilarious.
Thank you for proving my point.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

don't know about artiss recording with the Akita, Atika? or whatever it's called but you can see here that I record major artists with the Sony EVERYDAY!! here is a pussycat doll using it, Great air, instant "pop radio" sound, not much to do to it, the SOny IS a great and expensive mic heh
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
don't know about artiss recording with the Akita, Atika? or whatever it's called but you can see here that I record major artists with the Sony EVERYDAY!! here is a pussycat doll using it, Great air, instant "pop radio" sound, not much to do to it, the SOny IS a great and expensive mic heh
Well I never said you can't get the results you've posted with the 800g.

My point of contention is that people are saying you CAN'T with the Akita. Which is rather weird because the people who are saying this don't have any bill of sales from us. So these opinions are based on???

If you recall, I never said that the 800G is a bad mic or that its not good. But obviously somebody did ask in this thread, whats a good alternative for under 2500?

So what are your suggestions regarding that then? Is the guy just **** out of luck?

It really sucks sometimes when people take a piss all over you because you're chiming in with a solution you also happen to make. Call it cheap, call it this or that. Until you hold it in your hands, throw it up on a chain and hear it in your studio, its purely conjecture to say its good or bad for what you need.

On the other hand, the Peluso VTB was obviously an answer to a big desire for the 800G sound, (I remember when it first was spoken about on this forum almost 2 years ago(??)) but for a lesser price. People, including yourself felt it didn't meet the mark I guess? I'm not quite sure, I know Ben Sneesby was modding them at some point.

I think what we're offering is special in many ways and a little common sense about manufacturing goes a long way. What we charge for any of our mics is magnitudes less than what a larger company would charge for the same thing. Parts to price ratio is usually pretty steep for alot of companies. I've seen mics that at most have 45 dollars of actual parts on or in them, go for something like 700 to 1000 dollars. That's a pretty nice margin eh?

So please ask yourselves, when we put a 100 dollar transformer in a microphone, then why would we charge only 950 for it?

(Compare that to parts to price ratio for other companies.)

Why? because we want this thing to be affordable. That's the whole issue isn't it? We also don't want it to be a maintenance pig. I've read my share about complaints about the issues with the heat in the 800g, some good some bad. I didn't want to deal with that so we designed our circuit to extend the life of the tube and to minimize the heat issues.

Why would we install a 400 dollar reskinned Neumann k67 in the mic and then the mic still only cost under 1400 dollars??? I have no clue what the Japanese are using for a capsule except that its a center terminated k67 type capsule. It costs 1800 dollars from what I recall. 1100 more than the K67 made by Neumann which as far as I know is the BEST k67 on the planet period. So despite Sony being Sony, Georg Neumann et al, is/are the source of the most influential capsule designs in history.

Compare that to parts to price for other companies.

People can call me a shill all they want, but we spent over 8 months studying up on 6au6a and all the variants as well as the way the 6au6a tube is used in tube microphone circuits, past and present, how its biased, how it works within the whole scheme of capsule, tube and transformer.

I don't see how we tried to make a "cheap knock off," when we seriously tried to fill the gap that several other companies have sought to fill and yet people were still asking for a viable 800G alternative at a certain pricepoint.

How you can fault someone for that escapes me. Especially when you see the continued requests for the very thing we are trying to provide.

Oh well..Cool video! I thought she left the Pussycat dolls, that's what her explanation was about in the full version of the music video..

Sounds good! Nice mix! Much success to you!

Peace
Illumination
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Does anybody still remember that they make equalizers??? Get a good one and get on with recording.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post

My point of contention is that people are saying you CAN'T with the Akita. Which is rather weird because the people who are saying this don't have any bill of sales from us. So these opinions are based on???

If you recall, I never said that the 800G is a bad mic or that its not good. But obviously somebody did ask in this thread, whats a good alternative for under 2500?

So what are your suggestions regarding that then? Is the guy just **** out of luck?

It really sucks sometimes when people take a piss all over you because you're chiming in with a solution you also happen to make. Call it cheap, call it this or that. Until you hold it in your hands, throw it up on a chain and hear it in your studio, its purely conjecture to say its good or bad for what you need.

On the other hand, the Peluso VTB was obviously an answer to a big desire for the 800G sound, (I remember when it first was spoken about on this forum almost 2 years ago(??)) but for a lesser price. People, including yourself felt it didn't meet the mark I guess? I'm not quite sure, I know Ben Sneesby was modding them at some point.

I think what we're offering is special in many ways and a little common sense about manufacturing goes a long way. What we charge for any of our mics is magnitudes less than what a larger company would charge for the same thing. Parts to price ratio is usually pretty steep for alot of companies. I've seen mics that at most have 45 dollars of actual parts on or in them, go for something like 700 to 1000 dollars. That's a pretty nice margin eh?

So please ask yourselves, when we put a 100 dollar transformer in a microphone, then why would we charge only 950 for it?

Why? because we want this thing to be affordable. That's the whole issue isn't it? We also don't want it to be a maintenance pig. I've read my share about complaints about the issues with the heat in the 800g, some good some bad. I didn't want to deal with that so we designed our circuit to extend the life of the tube and to minimize the heat issues.

Why would we install a 400 dollar reskinned Neumann k67 in the mic and then the mic still only cost under 1400 dollars??? I have no clue what the Japanese are using for a capsule except that its a center terminated k67 type capsule. It costs 1800 dollars from what I recall. 1100 more than the K67 made by Neumann which as far as I know is the BEST k67 on the planet period. So despite Sony being Sony, Georg Neumann et al, is/are the source of the most influential capsule designs in history.

People can call me a shill all they want, but we spent over 8 months studying up on 6au6a and all the variants as well as the way the 6au6a tube is used in tube microphone circuits, past and present, how its biased, how it works within the whole scheme of capsule, tube and transformer.

I don't see how we tried to make a "cheap knock off," when we seriously tried to fill the gap that several other companies have sought to fill and yet people were still asking for a viable 800G alternative at a certain pricepoint.

How you can fault someone for that escapes me. Especially when you see the continued requests for the very thing we are trying to provide.

Oh well..Cool video! I thought she left the Pussycat dolls, that's what her explanation was about in the full version of the music video..

Peace
Illumination
GREAT response,my good bro.

Hope to see "youse guys" in the lab real soon

BTW,why do so many here on GS get so freeking sensitive and defensive over the 800g???
Other than blowing tubes,does it also give good head?
Am I missing something here,fellas??
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by populardemand View Post
I was responding to this untrue statement.

As far as the topic, I dont think anyone should shell out for any high priced equipment until your revenue can sustain it and until you have enough clients who request the pieces and they pay for themselves. Otherwise rent when necessary (and charge to the client) or buy what you like.
Most artist go off the preference of the things they have used in the studio, and what's popular in today's big studio.

Sony C-800 is a popular mic, and of course they will compare it to other popular mics in the studio such as U87, U47 etc.

Doesn't make it better than the mics they know nothing about. To me that's a limited point of view, because you base your preference on very small spectrum of knowledge of stuff that's in the market.

Sorry for not explaining my point further

Quote:

As far as the topic, I dont think anyone should shell out for any high priced equipment until your revenue can sustain it and until you have enough clients who request the pieces and they pay for themselves. Otherwise rent when necessary (and charge to the client) or buy what you like.
Completely agree with this statement.

I personally wouldn't buy C-800g even if I was generating enough money from my work, it just seems like an odd investment.

If this mic cost $5,000 then it would justify the quality to price ratio, at $8,900 it just puts me off the mic, just because the manufacturer is getting extremely greedy, and the price has been going up majorly since it first came out. The price jumped almost to a thousand more in a past year and a half.

I can buy a decent car in GREAT condition for $8,000 and I would never buy a mic for that price unless it's a vintage Neumann U47, U67, or M49

Quote:
This is what I think.
In the hip hop community,when "artists" see a piece of gear,whether its a mike,a pre/comp/eq combo such as the Avalon 737,and other flavor of the month ****,they have to have one because A..so and so uses one, it costs alot so it MUST be good and C their homies told them its the ****.
In the case of the 800g,its cool looking,so they gotta get one .
Most wouldnt know the difference anyway.
Just my fiddy cent
LMFAO!

Mostly the case in my experience.

Not saying that certain artists don't sound great through this mic, because some do, but too many don't and this is what makes me believe less and less in investment of Sony C-800G as an all around vocal mic. The price is too steep for the artist percentage compatibility
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Nut

the akita is sounding pretty good to me....ton cheaper price, less down time...
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Peace
Illumination
I wasn't addressing my message to you so do't take anything thing i said the wrong way towards you, if you read my replies for under $2500 I gave a solution and mentioned the manley Ref C with NOS teleF Tubes, GREAT alternative, I would be able to get the sony and this one to sound so close I could almost swap them and almost no one could tell but me.
now on the mic you are talking about, I can't give an opinion at ALL as I never even tried the mic, Send me one, let's put it up against the Sony C800G and I will see if it works and sound as good, if it does, I might just get one as a backup ! until then I can say that even though the Manley is very close I havn't heard anything that does the SONY thing perfectly.
About the Pussycat doll, they did split up which is why I released trhat song the same week (NOT JUST A DOLL) a perfect song to ride the buzz heh
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
GREAT response,my good bro.

Hope to see "youse guys" in the lab real soon

BTW,why do so many here on GS get so freeking sensitive and defensive over the 800g???
Other than blowing tubes,does it also give good head?
Am I missing something here,fellas??
not over sensitive at all but I use the mic everyday and I can guarantee you that it's a GREAT mic that's all as far as if you are missing something here...maybeheh you should give it another try in a properly treated room with top notch Preamps and compressor and a great singer/rapper I'm sure you would love it, you are welcome to check it out in Houston anytime
Old 1st April 2010
Quote:
Send me one, let's put it up against the Somy C800G and I will see if it works and sound as good, if it does, I might just get one as a backup !
That's a good idea.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
If this is how you feel then I'm sorry.

I continued to post on this board after taking my job as the head of sales at JJ Audio, knowing that people would look at me differently. I've been a member of this forum for over 6 years.

I got my job with JJ Audio last fall. I have made it a point to reach out to the hip hop community on behalf of this company because I am a hip hop artist myself. Our first shootout is with a rapper doing demos on all of our mics, including the Akita. When's the last time that was a companies' introductory demo???

I know for a fact that threads like this would not exist if the 800G was something that anybody could obtain or maintain cheaply.

I also know that people would not be mentioning the Akita if the mic was a cheap knock off. There are plenty of individuals on this site who have listened to our clips and have heard something very different from previous offerings. This is why we are gaining respect. Open up our mics, you will see expensive high quality parts. Just as Sony claims to do so, so do we.

We don't make our mics in a plant, we make them here in Glenwood, Maryland by hand.

I would appreciate it if you would at least recognize your ascerbic statements about JJ Audio, that despite being well within your right of expression are not founded in the best interests of this forum. Simply put, because they aren't stemming from your experience with our products, but rather the conflict of interest that you feel occurs when someone recommends product x (something different) over product y (what you think is good).

PS I'm very happy that you are able to meet with Sony reps! Why exactly did you meet a Sonypro rep? Do you work with them? I have to put my first and last name, along with my company affiliation in my signature because its in the best interests of disclosure to let people know who you're working for.

As far as who that engineer works with who likes our mics, I guess his credits and his existence are just a Fantasy.

Peace
Illumination
Hey Man, i might have been a little harsh earlier I'm sorry..

The thing is if you didn't come in here like a wild cowboy saying that the Akita sounded so close to the 800G for 7k less yada, yada, yada.. But it's all good man! As long as you don't try to make pointless comparisons between 2 different mics Anyway the sony tech came over my place to pick up the mic for maintenance+replacing the tube!!!!! Crazy uh? Very nice guy and very knowledgeable too!
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan_rashard View Post
the akita is sounding pretty good to me....ton cheaper price, less down time...
hehhehhehone
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

we tried to get a sony replacement for the road. we didnt want to travel with it. Tested the Peluso VTB and it was no dice. Tried the Korby 800- no dice and Korby is known for tuning and repairing C800g's. Simulations of any equipment will get you in the ballpark but they are never exact. That's good enough for many.

Also, I've seen C800g's brand new for under $7,000. The whole pac is $7600 at Vintage King.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Nut

this might sound dumb but where can i find a CL1B used...at a decent price?
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
we tried to get a sony replacement for the road. we didnt want to travel with it. Tested the Peluso VTB and it was no dice. Tried the Korby 800- no dice and Korby is known for tuning and repairing C800g's. Simulations of any equipment will get you in the ballpark but they are never exact. That's good enough for many.

Also, I've seen C800g's brand new for under $7,000. The whole pac is $7600 at Vintage King.
I bought mine used in MINT condition from a fellow GS member for under $4000! you can get great deals if you are patient
Old 1st April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan_rashard View Post
this might sound dumb but where can i find a CL1B used...at a decent price?
They come now and then in the classifieds.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

I talked to Jim this morning and must say he gave me some fantastic information on how the microphones are built to replicate the sound.

I can't imagine any person who knows the real technicalities behind microphones and why they sound the way they do would have an issue being open minded to entertaining the idea of using the mic. The hour I spent on the phone hearing all his hard work and logical usage of components instantly made me want one of his mics right off the bat without hearing it. (Even though I am testing them first!)

Lay off the guys back for just suggesting his microphone to you. IMO, you guys should be lucky he came up with something that you guys can resort to because your not making enough money with your music to feel comfortable buying a c800g anyway. Hence why you asked for alternatives.

fuuck
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
I bought mine used in MINT condition from a fellow GS member for under $4000! you can get great deals if you are patient

there's a whole bunch of c800s that have sold on here for less than $4000. Not sure where people are getting this $8500 price tag from. who pays retail for audio gear?
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
now on the mic you are talking about, I can't give an opinion at ALL as I never even tried the mic, Send me one, let's put it up against the Sony C800G and I will see if it works and sound as good, if it does, I might just get one as a backup ! until then I can say that even though the Manley is very close I havn't heard anything that does the SONY thing perfectly.
Nothing does a c800 like a c800. Great mic. Akita is an excellent mic as well. I think that's a great idea mdjice.

I've worked with a few big name artists and could definitely see using the Akita on them. In all fairness - I could see use a good number of mics on them. I think it'd be a hard sell to get any of them in for a shootout. And my big name clout doesn't really match mdjice's anyway :(

But I'd be happy to do a shootout.
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

OK OK.. all of you might know i am selling my C800g and looking for alternatives. I just emailed JJ Audio about the Akita... and if I can get one in the studio I will do a shootout on a few sources and post clips.

If the akita wins... hell i might buy 2.

s0nguy
Old 2nd April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nguy View Post
OK OK.. all of you might know i am selling my C800g and looking for alternatives. I just emailed JJ Audio about the Akita... and if I can get one in the studio I will do a shootout on a few sources and post clips.

If the akita wins... hell i might buy 2.

s0nguy
Why are you selling it?
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Maniac

im about to cop the AKITA baybeh
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Why are you selling it?
too much $$ tied up in one place. i need a few other things for the studio... Ill rent one if I reaaaaalllly miss it.

-s0nguy
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdamusic View Post
im about to cop the akita baybeh
هذا هو قرار ممتاز أخي
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
NOW THIS is the price tag that justifies this mic, I wouldn't mind buying the mic for this price.

Plus you can always sell it for $6000 with eaze...NOW THAT'S AN INVESTMENT

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search