The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
c800g Condenser Microphones
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Hi rick!

What Jim is referring to is that the microphone circuitry itself does not have alot of filtering in place to tame the capsule versus something like a U67 which has all types of filtering for the same type of center terminated k67 capsule.

This is why the mic has that ridiculous superb top end and also that cool bass response. Its unreal sounding but this is why people like the 800g because you get that almost variable mu thing going with the 6au6a tube which has a grab to it.

What Storyville and others have described about being too close to the Akita you can also find people saying about the 800g, regarding the grab the mic has. If you get too close and belt, it just sounds really wild. You gotta work your distance to get in the sweet spot. The mic will do the rest.

I think that considering you can buy an Akita for less than 1k, you'll be seeing them quite a bit in studios in the next few years as a viable stand in for the 800g. Not because its a freq for freq match but because its gets you so close its not worth paying an additional 7k for.

I remember the response that another company got for their attempt at the 800g and so far we haven't been getting that reaction from people who has used the Akita, but rather the opposite.

I would very much like it if somebody takes the Akita retail, because it fills a huge gap in the mic market. I mean I feel all of our mics are like that but the Akita is just one of our personal favorites, because it is so immediately good at what it does.

Speaking for myself as a rapper, I can definitely say I used to think that the 800g sound was worthless or over hyped by users, but after using something like the Akita in a pro studio like Studio E and hearing it on 2 other rappers with voices that were very distinct from mine and each other, I was sold because it completely kicked ass.

Enough gushing!

Peace
Illumination
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Here we go again.. A kid asking what mic sound like the sony, Only for 5k less! Philly hating on the 800g and a bunch of other people giving him the"+1" or Oh yeah another sub 1k mic that sound 'very close' to the 800GBla, Bla, Bla! There is no mic that sound like the sony just like there is no pre that sounds like the neve. It's not the capsule, it's not the tube but it's THE SUM of it's parts that make it sound so good. Unfortunately those parts have a cost and the manufacture in Japan also have a cost.. If money is no object get a sony. If it is buy a u87, treat your room and start recording some music Oh and yeah ou ain't gonna see all of the top selling RnB hip hop recording artists switching to the Akita anytime soon i'm afraid
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
maybe i'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but the Sony freq response is definitely NOT flat.
I'm pretty sure he means Sony uses a flat frequency response circuit, but there are other factors that affect overall frequency response on the mic, the main being the capsule and off axis coloration, also consider the fact you are bound to get standing waves coloration inside the grill of the mic, and other things that define the frequency response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Here we go again.. A kid asking what mic sound like the sony, Only for 5k less! Philly hating on the 800g and a bunch of other people giving him the"+1" or Oh yeah another sub 1k mic that sound 'very close' to the 800GBla, Bla, Bla! There is no mic that sound like the sony just like there is no pre that sounds like the neve. It's not the capsule, it's not the tube but it's THE SUM of it's parts that make it sound so good. Unfortunately those parts have a cost and the manufacture in Japan also have a cost.. If money is no object get a sony. If it is buy a u87, treat your room and start recording some music Oh and yeah ou ain't gonna see all of the top selling RnB hip hop recording artists switching to the Akita anytime soon i'm afraid
Don't know about the rest of the people, but I speak from my own experience when I say I don't like the mic, but I completely agree on the fact that all the parts is what makes the mic what it is.

Whether the price is justified or not is a WHOLE DIFFERENT story

As far as RnB/Hip Hop artists go, they usually know very little about mics, and they only care for the vocal to sound good, how I can get them to that point is in my hands, and there are plenty of choices to pick from.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted View Post
As far as RnB/Hip Hop artists go, they usually know very little about mics
You'll be surprise how knowledgeable some people are.. Anyway I'm pretty sure that the top flight engineers they hire are choosing the 800g for a reason
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wanna bet,home slice??
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is why you never want to say stuff like this.

You're too late. Its already happened. That's all I can say. (stay tuned!)

Peace
Illumination
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
You'll be surprise how knowledgeable some people are.. Anyway I'm pretty sure that the top flight engineers they hire are choosing the 800g for a reason
see the above post.

Peace
Illumination
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is why you never want to say stuff like this.

You're too late. Its already happened. That's all I can say. (stay tuned!)

Peace
Illumination
I had good laugh man, seriouslyheh Show me proof

Pictures, videos, interviews, anything at all
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
As far as RnB/Hip Hop artists go, they usually know very little about mics, and they only care for the vocal to sound good, how I can get them to that point is in my hands, and there are plenty of choices to pick from.
That's a far from accurate statement. I record and mix charting hip hop & r&b artists everyday. They know what chains they want. Their people call ahead to make sure the chains are there and ready to go (If you gotta warm up tube, etc.) Some like eminem, justin timberlake, and others carry their own microphones with them. Their vocal sound is the most important aspect and they are very adverse to changing their tried and true methods. Did a few Game sessions a ways back where he changed his chain for 2 songs because the mic wasnt available he and went back and did them over with his normal chain 2 weeks later.

Nothing sounds like the c800g w/ Neve pre in my experience. Some get in the ballpark with the brightness but that pleasant compressive thingy in the sony is unmatched.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

After reading most of this thread, I'm about 90% encouraged to try and buy an Akita mic.. If I can get even close to the sound, it's not worth the extra 7K.

Top engineers by the C800g for the name only.... and how much credibility it has earned.

But if the Akita is like..

colgate toothpaste vs. crest toothpast... I'm in for that!

If you got 7K more to **** out for a small difference... You need financial help.... start by buying an Akita and paying 7 months of my rent!
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Trends is all I can say. Same reason people love U87ai (new one) and I hate it with passion.

You know how many times I had to put up a U87ai because the rapper (demanded it) while C12 just sounded so much better on his voice right before.

Ever since Dre recorded his Chronic 2001 with Sony the mic elevated to the top of the most wanted mics.

I guess if the rapper demands something is his choice and preference, doesn't matter if he knows about other mics or how they sound. For most if it worked one time, they want to use it again.

To me it's like test driving a Ferrari and then wanting to drive it to the store every day, and I mean ONLY to the store. That's the way I see investment in Sony C800-G.

I can name dozen of mics off the top of my head that sound better than this mic at the fraction of cost.

I'm not a skeptic really, because I have heard this microphone plenty of times, and the price to quality ratio is completely out of wack.

$8,900 for a Sony...I would rather save up another $1,100 and buy U47

If someone has a $8,900 to blow on one mic...that's not even a workhorse mic in it's application...hey...

I'll take AKG C-12 over it any day, and save about 3-4 thousand on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
After reading most of this thread, I'm about 90% encouraged to try and buy an Akita mic.. If I can get even close to the sound, it's not worth the extra 7K.

Top engineers by the C800g for the name only.... and how much credibility it has earned.

But if the Akita is like..

colgate toothpaste vs. crest toothpast... I'm in for that!

If you got 7K more to **** out for a small difference... You need financial help.... start by buying an Akita and paying 7 months of my rent!
EXACTLY!

The sound speaks for itself, JJ and Michael Joly consistently proved it to me sonically, and quite frankly opened my eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by populardemand View Post
That's a far from accurate statement. I record and mix charting hip hop & r&b artists everyday. They know what chains they want. Their people call ahead to make sure the chains are there and ready to go (If you gotta warm up tube, etc.) Some like eminem, justin timberlake, and others carry their own microphones with them. Their vocal sound is the most important aspect and they are very adverse to changing their tried and true methods. Did a few Game sessions a ways back where he changed his chain for 2 songs because the mic wasnt available he and went back and did them over with his normal chain 2 weeks later.

Nothing sounds like the c800g w/ Neve pre in my experience. Some get in the ballpark with the brightness but that pleasant compressive thingy in the sony is unmatched.
If they like it, they like it. I'm not saying anything about that.

When I was an assistant I ran it through 1073 plenty of times, several times through SSL 9000J and bunch of other pres. I was not impressed on either occasion.

U67, U47, M49, C12...ahhhhhh....DIFFERENT story

To me, judging by the price is like comparing Sony C800-G to U47...
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

This is what I think.
In the hip hop community,when "artists" see a piece of gear,whether its a mike,a pre/comp/eq combo such as the Avalon 737,and other flavor of the month ****,they have to have one because A..so and so uses one, it costs alot so it MUST be good and C their homies told them its the ****.
In the case of the 800g,its cool looking,so they gotta get one .
Most wouldnt know the difference anyway.
Just my fiddy cent
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had good laugh man, seriouslyheh Show me proof

Pictures, videos, interviews, anything at all
I normally would just spill my guts right here and tell it all, but I have a strange feeling that this is going nowhere fast.

If you would truly like to know, it will be on our testimonials from our clientelle. Hopefully the name, plus their credits will ring a bell and then you will understand who I'm referring to.

Until that time, I have no interest in pissing matches. I'm here to help.

I apologize, if you think I want to go back and forth over who uses our mics, all I will say is that this person works with A list artists, they have plenty of choices from Neumann to vintage Telefunken and AKG and they used our stuff instead for a recent session. Rather than drop their name in a thread, I will ask them for a testimonial.

I highly doubt that I can get video of them with our mics, until JJ and I go on a trip down to Florida later this year.

I simply tried to point out that just because people say or use XY or Z, doesn't leave room for people to try and like new things. Change occurs quickly in the recording world. When something is hot its hot. There was a time when there was no such thing as an 800G you know. Now its household name.

Before that you had the old standards, u67/u87/u47/m49/c12/251....I don't think that the 800g sounds like any of those microphones.

Just stating the obvious, the tube does actually have ALOT to do with the mic's sound. We've put different capsules with the 6au6a, its just got this thing going on...hard to explain. The Schoeps CM61 is the same way but it has a nickel capsule. Very nice sounding mic but costs a couple grand. Still cheaper than the 800G. Its vintage now..the Schoeps I mean.

Peace
Illumination
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
If they like it, they like it. I'm not saying anything about that.

When I was an assistant I ran it through 1073 plenty of times, several times through SSL 9000J and bunch of other pres. I was not impressed on either occasion.

U67, U47, M49, C12...ahhhhhh....DIFFERENT story

To me, judging by the price is like comparing Sony C800-G vs U47...
I was responding to this untrue statement.
Quote:
As far as RnB/Hip Hop artists go, they usually know very little about mics
As far as the topic, I dont think anyone should shell out for any high priced equipment until your revenue can sustain it and until you have enough clients who request the pieces and they pay for themselves. Otherwise rent when necessary (and charge to the client) or buy what you like.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
This is what I think.
In the hip hop community,when "artists" see a piece of gear,whether its a mike,a pre/comp/eq combo such as the Avalon 737,and other flavor of the month ****,they have to have one because A..so and so uses one, it costs alot so it MUST be good and C their homies told them its the ****.
In the case of the 800g,its cool looking,so they gotta get one .
Most wouldnt know the difference anyway.
Just my fiddy cent
But Philly that happens in all genres. Try and take the Neves and API's out of a rock tracking session after they get high or drunk heh

Truth is, if no one is regularly recording Mariah or Beyonce or Akon or Fabolous or any other artist who requests the sony, they don't need it.
Old 1st April 2010
Here for the gear

can the JJ promo team back off the discussion now?
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Your last comment made me lol I always wish I could have been there to see the reaction when engineers started taking down the u87/u67/u47's and using the c800g which at the time was not nearly expensive as it is now. You don't think there would have been many engineers with the same mindset as yours. Put it this way... If any influential artist used ANY mic and it sounded great, how long would it take for that mic do be on many more vocal chains?
As for the "cost" on the c800g.... are you claiming that it is anywhere near the selling price? Or better yet, would you be able to point out the difference in cost and the quality of parts between that mic and say a Akita?

It's funny that you felt the need to take a shot at the Akita or any mic for that matter without having any personal experience with it!
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-Rilla View Post
can the JJ promo team back off the discussion now?
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I normally would just spill my guts right here and tell it all, but I have a strange feeling that this is going nowhere fast.

If you would truly like to know, it will be on our testimonials from our clientelle. Hopefully the name, plus their credits will ring a bell and then you will understand who I'm referring to.

Until that time, I have no interest in pissing matches. I'm here to help.

I apologize, if you think I want to go back and forth over who uses our mics, all I will say is that this person works with A list artists, they have plenty of choices from Neumann to vintage Telefunken and AKG and they used our stuff instead for a recent session. Rather than drop their name in a thread, I will ask them for a testimonial.

I highly doubt that I can get video of them with our mics, until JJ and I go on a trip down to Florida later this year.

I simply tried to point out that just because people say or use XY or Z, doesn't leave room for people to try and like new things. Change occurs quickly in the recording world. When something is hot its hot. There was a time when there was no such thing as an 800G you know. Now its household name.

Before that you had the old standards, u67/u87/u47/m49/c12/251....I don't think that the 800g sounds like any of those microphones.

Just stating the obvious, the tube does actually have ALOT to do with the mic's sound. We've put different capsules with the 6au6a, its just got this thing going on...hard to explain. The Schoeps CM61 is the same way but it has a nickel capsule. Very nice sounding mic but costs a couple grand. Still cheaper than the 800G. Its vintage now..the Schoeps I mean.

Peace
Illumination
You made a claim, i asked for proof and as i thought you have nothing to back your statement. Unfortunately this board has become a infested with dealers and sales people trying to sell their products a little too hard lately. I have nothing personal against the Akita or JJ but your sales pitch don't work with me You can't get a ford to perform like a ferrari! End of the fraking story. I doesn't matter you got the same steer or the same tires. A ford ain't a ferrari. Capsic'?
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaD View Post
As for the "cost" on the c800g.... are you claiming that it is anywhere near the selling price? Or better yet, would you be able to point out the difference in cost and the quality of parts between that mic and say a Akita?

It's funny that you felt the need to take a shot at the Akita or any mic for that matter without having any personal experience with it!
Well matter of fact i did meet with somebody from Sonypro here in Japan when my mic needed a new tube. I actually had the chance to have coffee with him and i asked the reason of the high price. Well first of all the sony use only the highest quality components available and a VERY EXPENSIVE production plant. Finally the mic got more expensive lately because there is a shortage of those parts. Most of people don't realize that "the cool shape" which is basicaly an heat sink is also a big part of the C800G is sound. So NO! Is just not possible that a cheap knock off sound anything like it. Just like the VTB (which i've tried) didn't sound anything like it. So Instead of taking a body here and a capsule there JJ should make is own designs before sending his sales people on a internet forum bragging that the Akita is taking the c800g spot or that the akita basically sound the same for 7k less
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
You made a claim, i asked for proof and as i thought you have nothing to back your statement. Unfortunately this board has become a infested with dealers and sales people trying to sell their products a little too hard lately. I have nothing personal against the Akita or JJ but your sales pitch don't work with me You can't get a ford to perform like a ferrari! End of the fraking story. I doesn't matter you got the same steer or the same tires. A ford ain't a ferrari. Capsic'?
I'm going to wait on my testimonial and address the actual 800G itself.

Let's just do a little quick history here:

The Sony 800G uses a center terminated k67 capsule. It would behoove one to think that this 1800 dollar capsule they use is the best capsule on the planet because it costs more than a new Neumann K67 which is around 7 or 800 dollars. I have no idea who makes Sony's capsules. We went with an ADK TT because its got a great sound in the 6au6a, its full and rather than over the top bright, its right in the pocket (to my ears). If you want that remaining lift, its well documented that boosting 13k or 14k on the 800G is a really nice sound before compression. Seems to work well with the Akita as well.

The Sony 800G uses a circuit that for all intents and purposes is based around a 6aua6a tube. The reality is this is not what you will always find in there. But sticking with the 6au6a, they are not a very expensive tube. You can easily find them for under 10 bucks. Considering the way that the 800g heats the tube, its life is pretty short. A simple search on google has threads where guys talk about buying 100 tubes because their 800G eats tubes. I know that some people send the mic back to Sony for the tube. As well this mic gets hot! It has a heat dissipation system with the fins aka a giant heatsink because of the heat. Sustained high heat around discrete electronics is not a good combination in a small area like the inside of a mic. So they added the peltier unit. We addressed this when we started designing the Akita.

The transformer in the 800G. I've always mused over this and my suspicions are that they are Tamuras. Yeah that's right. Yamaha's OEM. However we use a Jensen because it promotes the clear forward tone that we based the Akita around. Jensen is a well established recognizable transformer company, if you like the MA5 for example, Jensen is a part of that sound (output transformer). Their transformers also happen to sound excellent in microphones that need the clarity and breadth of the spectrum.

I don't get where people assume our parts are cheap by any standard. While people sometimes call the Akita a mod, we are flat out gutting this mic entirely and just using the housing. Its not like we just change the transformer and tube and voila! magic. This is a completely different microphone.

Again if you feel like I'm pitching or hyping it up. I will let the people who are fans of the Akita and people who have experienced it speak up.

I simply offered a fair alternative. Yes I'm partial to my own microphone but the OP wanted an alternative for under 2500 dollars. Why not let the audience decide? By anyone being so adamant about any product they might as well be working for the company or demand to be put on payroll lol.

As well Peluso makes the VTB, there's plenty of clips of. And there is another mic called the Suter MD1 from Europe.

The Suter sounds very good to my ears. You will need to use google translate to understand the site if you cannot read the language of the site.

Neue Seite 1

Hope this takes the sales pitchiness away, in the mic engineering world we can't use autotune!

Peace
Illumination
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
So Instead of taking a body here and a capsule there JJ should make is own designs before sending his sales people on a internet forum bragging that the Akita is taking the c800g spot or that the akita basically sound the same for 7k less
If this is how you feel then I'm sorry.

I continued to post on this board after taking my job as the head of sales at JJ Audio, knowing that people would look at me differently. I've been a member of this forum for over 6 years.

I got my job with JJ Audio last fall. I have made it a point to reach out to the hip hop community on behalf of this company because I am a hip hop artist myself. Our first shootout is with a rapper doing demos on all of our mics, including the Akita. When's the last time that was a companies' introductory demo???

I know for a fact that threads like this would not exist if the 800G was something that anybody could obtain or maintain cheaply.

I also know that people would not be mentioning the Akita if the mic was a cheap knock off. There are plenty of individuals on this site who have listened to our clips and have heard something very different from previous offerings. This is why we are gaining respect. Open up our mics, you will see expensive high quality parts. Just as Sony claims to do so, so do we.

We don't make our mics in a plant, we make them here in Glenwood, Maryland by hand.

I would appreciate it if you would at least recognize your ascerbic statements about JJ Audio, that despite being well within your right of expression are not founded in the best interests of this forum. Simply put, because they aren't stemming from your experience with our products, but rather the conflict of interest that you feel occurs when someone recommends product x (something different) over product y (what you think is good).

PS I'm very happy that you are able to meet with Sony reps! Why exactly did you meet a Sonypro rep? Do you work with them? I have to put my first and last name, along with my company affiliation in my signature because its in the best interests of disclosure to let people know who you're working for.

As far as who that engineer works with who likes our mics, I guess his credits and his existence are just a Fantasy.

Peace
Illumination
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Nut

I'm a huge fan of my Brauners...

But still, they don't work on everything.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxtabStudios View Post
I'm a huge fan of my Brauners...

But still, they don't work on everything.
Brauner makes some sick mics!

Peace
Illumination
Old 1st April 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
As far as who that engineer works with who likes our mics, I guess his credits and his existence are just a Fantasy.

Peace
Illumination
No, that engineer is systematically killing his own credibility on this forum, imo.
His personality on GS totally doesn't reflect the musical history he's been a part of, which is a shame.
Knowing when to talk is good, knowing when to shut up even better. He should exercise that philosophy a bit more perhaps.
Just goes to show that class and style can't be taught or bought.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-Rilla View Post
No, that engineer is systematically killing his own credibility on this forum, imo.
His personality on GS totally doesn't reflect the musical history he's been a part of, which is a shame.
Knowing when to talk is good, knowing when to shut up even better. He should exercise that philosophy a bit more perhaps.
Just goes to show that class and style can't be taught or bought.
The engineer I'm referring to isn't a poster here as far as I know.

So who are you referring to?

Peace
Illumination
Old 1st April 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
The engineer I'm referring to isn't a poster here as far as I know.

So who are you referring to?

Peace
Illumination
sorry, my apologies. I thought you were talking about PSM. There was a whole thread about you guys and the shootout, so I automatically made the connection.
Either way, I think if he'd be a lot more helpful if he stopped spamming the board with the grumpiness.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

go rilla has been sent on a mission for the destruction of philly... lets get ready to rumblllllllle.. round 1
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J CraQ View Post
go rilla has been sent on a mission for the destruction of philly... lets get ready to rumblllllllle.. round 1
Hes more of a female chimp than a male go-rilla
Wheres my banana????
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by populardemand View Post
But Philly that happens in all genres. Try and take the Neves and API's out of a rock tracking session after they get high or drunk heh

Truth is, if no one is regularly recording Mariah or Beyonce or Akon or Fabolous or any other artist who requests the sony, they don't need it.
it does apply to some genres,however,not because of the bling factor,feel me.
API and Neves arent used because they cost alot of money..they are used because they sound great for the genre.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search