The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
c800g Condenser Microphones
Old 9th April 2010
Gear Maniac

So then when ever the singer says something with an "S" in it, it would be more like "SSSSSSS"? Or you could go back to the EQ and take some of the air out. But that would defeat the purpose of it being a "finished" sounding mic.
Old 9th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
One thing that i noticed Mikael and the rest of the people who use the C800g say is that they like it for that "finished" sound. As in songs that are already bounced to 2-tracks. But one question is that how does it work for tracks that are still being mixed? I know it has the bump in the high end, but when i mix, i put an EQ across the stereo buss and boost the high end. Doing that to the Sony would seem like a bad idea, no?

the c800g takes eq and compression very well.
Old 9th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott! View Post
So then when ever the singer says something with an "S" in it, it would be more like "SSSSSSS"? Or you could go back to the EQ and take some of the air out. But that would defeat the purpose of it being a "finished" sounding mic.

its really depends on the singer and mic placement.
Old 9th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
One thing that i noticed Mikael and the rest of the people who use the C800g say is that they like it for that "finished" sound. As in songs that are already bounced to 2-tracks. But one question is that how does it work for tracks that are still being mixed? I know it has the bump in the high end, but when i mix, i put an EQ across the stereo buss and boost the high end. Doing that to the Sony would seem like a bad idea, no?
Hi, what I actually mean is that once the vocal tracks are recorded (on a 2 track or a full mix it dissent change anything), the Sony sounds good the way it is, which means I don't have to do much to it, sure I can eq and compress a LOT but I usually don't have to, the sound is already there whether it's on a full mix or 2 tracks for the music doesn't matter
Old 9th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
Hi, what I actually mean is that once the vocal tracks are recorded (on a 2 track or a full mix it dissent change anything), the Sony sounds good the way it is, which means I don't have to do much to it, sure I can eq and compress a LOT but I usually don't have to, the sound is already there whether it's on a full mix or 2 tracks for the music doesn't matter
its like that huh?
Old 9th April 2010
Gear Maniac

So it's just one less thing to worry about?
Old 9th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott! View Post
So it's just one less thing to worry about?
Exactly.
Old 9th April 2010
Gear Guru

i wouldn't say its QUITE like that. the sound of today's pop, hip hop, and rnb music is heavily effected with compression and EQ, so you're still gonna have to do some work.
Old 9th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Gotcha, sorry if i misunderstood your comments
Old 10th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Well...if anything, it should make adding hip-hop/pop vocal effects easier, since it already has a lot of the job done with it's sound.
Old 19th April 2010
DAH
Lives for gear

Whut?!stike
Old 20th April 2010
Gear Maniac

My above post is just a guess, since I don't have the money for a c800g. What do you mean whut?
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

is anyone still doing the shootout?

s0nguy
Old 20th April 2010
Gear Maniac

I'm wondering the same thing...
Old 20th April 2010
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottn View Post
My above post is just a guess, since I don't have the money for a c800g. What do you mean whut?
I mean enough time has passed since that loud-moth shoot-out talking, what`s up with the ACTUAL shoot-out? It did not address your post, dude
Old 20th April 2010
Gear Guru

Old 20th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
I mean enough time has passed since that loud-moth shoot-out talking, what`s up with the ACTUAL shoot-out? It did not address your post, dude
Yeah, I realised that after reading the post after.
Has the shoot-out been forgotten?
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Well I'm still waiting on the mics...
Old 20th April 2010
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I'm still waiting on the mics...
Thanx for keeping us informed still)
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Update, here is an email I just got:

"Please let the gang know at Gearslutz that we are just waiting on USA made bodies to finish the builds. Once the parts are in, out they go, we have 4 people waiting on Akitas right now, including yourself."

I'm posting as they can't post anymore.
Old 20th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the update.
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm posting as they can't post anymore.
Old 21st April 2010
Gear Guru

suspect...
Old 21st April 2010
Gear Nut

this is taking qiute some time
Old 21st April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat View Post
The Akita is an interesting microphone. It is similar to the Sony in that it shares the same tube and a similar circuit.

I have found the tubes that they use for the Sony and they sound great. The Sony uses a K67 style capsule in a very flat circuit.
I just wanted to correct this bit of information.... As I have not read most of this thread, I did not catch this until just now.

The Sony C800-G does NOT use a K67 style capsule.

The C800G capsule is based on Sony's C37/48 capsule. The C800 uses a single diaphragm version of the capsule, while the 800-G uses a dual diaphragm version... being a dual diaphragm capsule is the only similarity to the K67. Otherwise, it is pretty different in both design and sound to the K67, and has a much more linear response.

By itself, the K67 is incredibly bright sounding... If you put a K67 capsule in a C800G, that microphone would sound very different (much brighter and harsher), as compared to the stock C800G. The U87 and U67's get around this problem by using a complicated filter circuit that attenuates the top end. A C800G does not have this type of filter circuit. I have put a K67 in some circuits without filter networks and gotten good results (I have all of these capsules here on my desk, including my prized M7)... But, more often than not it results in a very bright sounding microphone that is useless on vocals (to my ears).
Old 23rd April 2010
Gear Nut

any update on the shoot out???
Old 23rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Just a guess, but it might take a minute. All the JJ stuff is built to order, so they have to get parts in - and then it's all hand assembled. The shootout will happen in due time.
Old 23rd April 2010
Lives for gear

The mic should be on it's way next week, it won't be a k67 capsule but the regular version.
Old 24th April 2010
Lives for gear

mic is on it's way and should be here monday or tuesday
Old 25th April 2010
Gear Maniac

thank you for the updates.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search