The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
if u could have one hiphop producers sample library? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Addict

if u could have one hiphop producers sample library?

i was thinking the other night. what if u could choose just 1 producers sound library? for me this would kinda be hard choice , but i think ill either go with timbaland (people always go nuts for hes drums i guess) or maybe dr dre or even someone like swizz beats (haha probably have a milllion whistles and airhorn type sounds). if u could choose who would u pick?
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

yea i think it would be between timbo or dre, im pretty happy with my own, as for swizz i dont think i would wanna touch his. But i would also like to get my hands on someone like hanz zimmers.
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realziment View Post
yea i think it would be between timbo or dre, im pretty happy with my own, as for swizz i dont think i would wanna touch his. But i would also like to get my hands on someone like hanz zimmers.
hanz that guy is genius, love hes work. he will have some amazing stuff im sure.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Teddy Riley

because thats the kinda **** im on
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

none, you dont learn nothing by taking some one else's libary, i can understand why though it would make a huge improvement to my tunes.

teach a man to fish my friend!!
Old 28th March 2010
I'd use mine, I got way too much good stuff in there heh Why would I want someone else's library? I ain't Timbo, I'm Chris Lago heh
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
FYI,I am an old friend of Hans Zimmer.
Ive known him since his days with Tangerine Dream and the Buggles.
I recorded at his former London studio,Lillie Yard many times and it was my studio of choice in the UK for quite some time.
As far as hip hop producers go...I dont want anyone sound library ...Ive got my own **** to think about.

B
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Premo microphone pon cock off lady of rage's album. love those strings.

Old 28th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
I'd use mine, I got way too much good stuff in there heh Why would I want someone else's library? I ain't Timbo, I'm Chris Lago heh
good point . but here is another. eveyone goes nuts for timbos drums? never heard anyone go nuts for chris lago's *awaits ban* hey hey im being honest, dont get mad , beat me with the music
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
FYI,I am an old friend of Hans Zimmer.
Ive known him since his days with Tangerine Dream and the Buggles.
I recorded at his former London studio,Lillie Yard many times and it was my studio of choice in the UK for quite some time.
As far as hip hop producers go...I dont want anyone sound library ...Ive got my own **** to think about.

B
Damn, really? Im a big fan of his. I remember watching some video of him years ago he is a genius. Is it him that had the crazy amount of akai samplers? Or was that Mutt lange?
Old 28th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lospat123 View Post
good point . but here is another. eveyone goes nuts for timbos drums? never heard anyone go nuts for chris lago's *awaits ban* hey hey im being honest, dont get mad , beat me with the music
Haha that's fine, I'd really hate it if people would start making sample libraries that resembled my library... Can't people just be themselves? by the way, I'M BANNING YOU heh (ha just kidding, ain't a mod anymore).
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Damn, really? Im a big fan of his. I remember watching some video of him years ago he is a genius. Is it him that had the crazy amount of akai samplers? Or was that Mutt lange?
I really dont know abot the Akai samplers.
When I worked in his studio,he had all sort of modular synths all around the room like Arps,Moogs, Emus, walls of stuff..and some custom stuff as well as a Yamaha DX 1 controller.
I think he uses GIGA samplers..banks of them...as well as a **** load of Roland samplers.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
When I worked in his studio,he had all sort of modular synths all around the room like Arps,Moogs, Emus, walls of stuff..and some custom stuff as well as a Yamaha DX 1 controller.
I think he uses GIGA samplers..banks of them...as well as a **** load of Roland samplers.
interesting... Yea i think it might be Mutt Lange that has or had a ridiculous amount of Akai's. I was talking to a guy the other night who was telling me the money in doing scores now is complete bull****, dont know how true this is, but has the likes of Zimmer felt any hurt, with the way things have gone do you know?
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
dude has a gnarly wall of moog modulars
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
interesting... Yea i think it might be Mutt Lange that has or had a ridiculous amount of Akai's. I was talking to a guy the other night who was telling me the money in doing scores now is complete bull****, dont know how true this is, but has the likes of Zimmer felt any hurt, with the way things have gone do you know?
People like Hans,James Horner,,John Williams and the like who score major motion pictures make serious money.$$$$$$$$$$
They are all multimillionaires many times over....and the biggest in the biz.
Hans has his own studios with scoring stages,production rooms and other composers under him.
Now people doing rap video music...thats another story.
Do fries go with that shake???
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
People like Hans,James Horner,,John Williams and the like who score major motion pictures make serious money.$$$$$$$$$$
They are all multimillionaires many times over....and the biggest in the biz.
Hans has his own studios with scoring stages,production rooms and other composers under him.
Now people doing rap video music...thats another story.
Do fries go with that shake???
Well yea, I know. But what this was saying is that most directors or whoever is in charge are using the cheaper guys these who use garage band etc lol thats just the way he said it, and im wondering if the likes of hans and them notice a decrease in work because of this.
Old 28th March 2010
John Williams is probably one of the best classical guitarists out there (is it the same John Williams who does scores?). He plays songs that seem impossible to play on paper (because of the limitation of the fingers). Andre Segovia is another classical guitarist that I like.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
John Williams is probably one of the best classical guitarists out there (is it the same John Williams who does scores?). He plays songs that seem impossible to play on paper (because of the limitation of the fingers). Andre Segovia is another classical guitarist that I like.

Different John Williams.
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Maniac

I would like to have the crates of madlib heh!
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

humbly - myself and massive collection of records
I don't need anything more
I don't feel like cheating or stealing taking 1/3 sec sample off someone's recording from 70's
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:

+1 for Hanz Zimmer. I think he has the largest library of any producer.

Did you ever see the rack mount of processors and data appliances he has to store his own sample library? Incredible, it's like a DCO up in there. I'll try to find it to post it.

Although, I'm starting to like my personal library. It's taken years, but the benefit is, it sounds like you. Not saying I am, but that's when I believe you start making a name for yourself as producer. Oh, that sounds like 'whats his name'.
Old 28th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osten Powers View Post
I would like to have the crates of madlib heh!
Same here. I can do keyboard stuff myself, so for the purpose of the question I'd rather have the huge crates of vinyl I haven't been able to afford.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well yea, I know. But what this was saying is that most directors or whoever is in charge are using the cheaper guys these who use garage band etc lol thats just the way he said it, and im wondering if the likes of hans and them notice a decrease in work because of this.
Your friend is wrong.
Im sure that there are some who do this,but the biggies get paid the big bucks no matter if they use softsynths or large orchestras.
The musicians budget is obviously not as large,but the ARRANGR/COMPOSER still gets PAID$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

If I did have to go for "crates", it would have to be Questlove.
He has a large ROOM filled with vinyl.
better than that would be phillysoulman.....hands down,before I sold my huge vinyl collection....which was a huge mistake
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Your friend is wrong.
Im sure that there are some who do this,but the biggies get paid the big bucks no matter if they use softsynths or large orchestras.
The musicians budget is obviously not as large,but the ARRANGR/COMPOSER still gets PAID$$$$$$$$$$$$

Allot of times, composers will use soft synths to compose, then go to the orchestra hall to record it. This is how James Horner did it in Avatar. I believed he composed in a DAW using Omnisphere then hired a real orchestra.

Yeah, the biggies do get paid, but man the competition and inner circle is so tight.
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Nut

As pretty much everyone said, it's a lot better to start making your OWN library and go from there. I did so myself 3 years ago and now got gigs after gigs of samples I collected.

The only problem now, after those few years...is having too much choice when actually getting down to business lol

Anyone got any idea/already using a good digital cataloging system?
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

nobody. Your sounds are a big part of your own sound. Its all about the combination of sounds you have and how you use them. Thats why so many cats can have the same gear but sound totally different. Its execution plus your own collection. My record collection is unique to me as is what I sample how I sample and my gear of choice
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Only one producer comes to mind.

Brian Kidd.

Lavish
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
...I sold my huge vinyl collection...
ouch...
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunboRecords View Post
As pretty much everyone said, it's a lot better to start making your OWN library and go from there. I did so myself 3 years ago and now got gigs after gigs of samples I collected.

The only problem now, after those few years...is having too much choice when actually getting down to business lol

Anyone got any idea/already using a good digital cataloging system?

I load samples from what I bought or recorded myself into Kontakt. I mostly load all different snares or drums seperatly as an instrument. I then layer that same instrument together, playing different keys simultaneously for the right sound. I then will load a send effect to that sample. I'm conservative on the reverb and will sometimes use Kontakt's bitcrusher on one snare layered with a verb or short delayed snare. I'll then export that one sample about 3 times using 3 different compression settings, mainly as an effect.

When I'm done I'll load 2 rows of cells of snares and 2 rows of cells of kicks and hi hats and so on into Battery. I'll then possibly route out of the box to some hardware and back in. Lately, I've been rerecording snares through my Marshall Amp sometimes clean sometimes using a Fuzz Face.

I only make the Battery libraries about 2 rows of each instrument each. If I need to use a drum instrument from another save, I'll just load it on another track. I can also load my Battery libraries back into Kontakt without changing format if I want to script my set.

All these samples that I make I will have a Folder on a different drive other then the OS. I have it organized as Drums > My Sky Drums folder along with Licensed samples folders > Sky Snares or Sky Kicks ect... I will have the Battery and Kontakt saves under the 'My Sky Drums' folder with folders Battery and Kontakt and those saved instruments name appropriately.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search