The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
if u could have one hiphop producers sample library? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Lavish View Post
Only one producer comes to mind.

Brian Kidd.

Lavish
I heard that guy is a HUGE ghost producer.....I guess he does it for the love of music and not recognition.
Old 3rd May 2010
Dor
Lives for gear

How do you know the companies you listed are creating drums from 'scratch'? I'd say the majority of the drum packers you've mentioned are not creating from scratch, but processing existing sounds they've collected over the years like the rest of us.

D
Old 3rd May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
How do you know the companies you listed are creating drums from 'scratch'? I'd say the majority of the drum packers you've mentioned are not creating from scratch, but processing existing sounds they've collected over the years like the rest of us.

D
For a start off because it would be illegal to sample someone elese recording and sell it as a "sample library" dont get me wrong im sure thats happened from time to time - but it goes back to my original point that sound has to start somewhere and if you can't be bothered to do that bit...

As for sampling drums from other peoples records and it being ok, well let me ask you this.

Is it ok to sample the kick and snare from Billie Jean? Rest assured if you had a hit with that you'd be getting sued.

If you like Dillas drums why not just sample the kicks and snares from his record then?

How about the latest Jay Z track I like those drums why dont I just sample the kicks and snares from that...

...see what I mean, no one would do the above (or shouldn't be) yet we have different made up "rules" for one thing to another. Thats why i think its better if possible and takes a lot more skill to create sounds from scratch.

Otherwise you're just rearranging someone elses sounds on a drum machine and to be honest anyone can press a few buttons - thats more like a computer game than song writing or beat making.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

If only u guys knew....another one for Brian Kidd
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys1 View Post
Otherwise you're just rearranging someone elses sounds on a drum machine and to be honest anyone can press a few buttons - thats more like a computer game than song writing or beat making.
thast all beatmaking and producing is anyway. Just pushing buttons to create something thats harmonically pleasing. A chopped up piano sample from a record or cd is no different really than a piano patch on my korg trinity. if i just randomly mash the keys on my keyboard it won't sound good in either case and scenario.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
As for sampling drums from other peoples records and it being ok, well let me ask you this.

Is it ok to sample the kick and snare from Billie Jean? Rest assured if you had a hit with that you'd be getting sued.

If you like Dillas drums why not just sample the kicks and snares from his record then?

How about the latest Jay Z track I like those drums why dont I just sample the kicks and snares from that...
That's how its been done for years from all of your biggest producers from marly marl in the 80's on up. Most producers were djs and just took drums from instrumentals. It will always be done. I mixed 3 records last month for Interscope and one for Atlantic with drums taken off of Blueprint 3- 2 used "on to the next one" drums...and those drums were taken from someplace as well.
Old 3rd May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace'Lo View Post
If only u guys knew....another one for Brian Kidd

Im trying to put them up on game Ace. lol

How u cuz ?

Lavish
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
I really dont know abot the Akai samplers.
Yeah, he used to have tons of them (literally). Now it's a bunch of servers streaming GBs of data to the custom made (software) samplers.

The pre-load buffers for the individual patches are in the GBs range. Crazy. New software had to be coded, because 4GBs of RAM weren't enough to pre-load the samples (think DirectFromDisk in Kontakt, where say 100MB of a 2GB patch are being pre-loaded) and 64bit samplers were not around at that time.

And he re-recorded his entire orchestra library some years ago, so when it comes to strings alone, TBs of data is being moved daily.
That's not including custom synths/samples/patches, commercial libraries and all the other sound sources they were able to collect over the decades.
Old 3rd May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest View Post
thast all beatmaking and producing is anyway. Just pushing buttons to create something thats harmonically pleasing. A chopped up piano sample from a record or cd is no different really than a piano patch on my korg trinity. if i just randomly mash the keys on my keyboard it won't sound good in either case and scenario.

Yeah, except its a lot easier to re-arrange an already harmonically pleasing, well recording and well mixed piano sound with some drums that it is to start from scratch with your own piano melody that you've written, record it and mix it.

It all depends how far a producer wants to go and creative (or how much skill) they have.

I dont think you can use the sweeping generalisation "thats all producing is" though. For me it isnt, I haven't sample anyone elses record for over 12 years now. Back in the day I used to just sample, but then I learnt keys to a basic level and worked with talent musicians and I can literally create whats in my head now rather than relaying on stuff I find to re-hash.

Some sample manglers are very very creative - but you have to admit you chop a nice sample and then just press buttons until it sounds good, anyone could do it and most will agree the limited number of ways re-arranging the melody/chords/loop that still sound good.

Its the same as when house music was all about disco loops. Some people made some fantastic records, some snipped 4 bars from a disco record put a beat over it and said "this is my new record"
Old 3rd May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by populardemand View Post
That's how its been done for years from all of your biggest producers from marly marl in the 80's on up. Most producers were djs and just took drums from instrumentals. It will always be done. I mixed 3 records last month for Interscope and one for Atlantic with drums taken off of Blueprint 3- 2 used "on to the next one" drums...and those drums were taken from someplace as well.
Again, I think your getting to into your own genre..."most producers were DJ's" is a very sweeping statement. Do you mean most early hip hop beat makers were DJs? - because I dont think George Martin was a DJ...

I know where you are coming from though, I was a DJ first - however like I wanted to use 4 sometimes 5 (and now 8 in Ableton!) decks when DJing I wanted to push the boundaries of songwriting and beat making, just rehashing someone elses recording was very limiting and not enough for me. If I wanted an 80's sounding recording I wasn't happy with just sampling an 80's sounding recorded that already exist, if you've got the tools, skill and knowledge write your own, if you haven't - continue sampling.

"those drums where taken from someplace as well" - does it not make you think where? and who created them in the first place. Do you not want your own sounds that haven't been taken from somewhere else?

If its live sounds record a live kit in a nice room with the mics you want.

If its electronic find the drums machines you want to sample.

If its a hybrid of the two mangle them yourself, record your own claps, beat boxes, sounds of you hitting a wall with a wet flannel - whatever i takes for you to create your own sounds.

But don't just sample the last Jay-Z drums, im sorry I do not agree with that and I do not think its write, I think its lazy and uncreative on so many levels (want the latest sound? lets just steal it!) It doesn't matter if those drums were samples or not, if they were find where they were sampled from and take them from the same source, not for the latest commercial hip hop release!

As I bring it back to, your not going to hear chart breaking hit sampling the drum hits for Billie Jean - not without giving away half the royalties anyway.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
but you have to admit you chop a nice sample and then just press buttons until it sounds good, anyone could do it and most will agree the limited number of ways re-arranging the melody/chords/loop that still sound good.
this is very far from the truth. actually most of what you posted is. I can play and sample I choose to sample. I already know what I am going for as I chop the record and more often than not I sample because I going for a specific sound rather than just not having the skills as you put it.
Old 3rd May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest View Post
this is very far from the truth. actually most of what you posted is. I can play and sample I choose to sample. I already know what I am going for as I chop the record and more often than not I sample because I going for a specific sound rather than just not having the skills as you put it.
If you're going for a samply sound thats fair enough.

You seem to think im against sampled stuff. Not at all, I grew up with sampled hip hop, sampled rave, sample electronica, sampled jungle, sampled house music.

I used to make it (all of the above) - but im sorry I wont accept that its NOT easier to start with a sample mapped out over some keys than it is to start with a blank canvas.

The difficulty in sampling is finding the sample in the first place. If you pick something that already sounds goods not matter what you do with it, it'll sound good...but its finding something no obvious, or something you know you can flip into something interesting, but not the actual flipping itself that is difficult. Once its in the sampler its really very easy!

Not just my words, the words of Armand Van Helden whos has countless number ones sampling records - anyone could sample what he sampled and do the same thing with it - but the thing is he had the idea first, he found the sample and he did it and hes renowned for having a very good idea.

Sure he might have some skills on the keys but he could never write a hook from scratch like he samples.

Now the kids who can write a hook from scratch and then sample and chop their own work to MAKE it sound sample...they are true geniuses.
Old 3rd May 2010
Deleted User
He's an all rounder more than anything but certainly a big one on the hip hop front, I'd have Rick Rubin's.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Again, I think your getting to into your own genre..."most producers were DJ's" is a very sweeping statement. Do you mean most early hip hop beat makers were DJs? - because I dont think George Martin was a DJ...
As I bring it back to, your not going to hear chart breaking hit sampling the drum hits for Billie Jean - not without giving away half the royalties anyway.
This is the hip hop forum. who the hell is talking about george martin?

If you don't think the Billie Jean kik and snr hasn't been sampled to death in hip hop (just like rick james/mary jane girls all night long & many more) you definitely know nothing of the genre.

whatever your personal feelings on the subject the reality is what it is. 20 topics about "why my hip hop drums don't sound good...?" Sample some that do and get to work.
Old 3rd May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by populardemand View Post
This is the hip hop forum. who the hell is talking about george martin?

If you don't think the Billie Jean kik and snr hasn't been sampled to death in hip hop (just like rick james/mary jane girls all night long & many more) you definitely know nothing of the genre.

whatever your personal feelings on the subject the reality is what it is. 20 topics about "why my hip hop drums don't sound good...?" Sample some that do and get to work.
Lol ok...

Well I just hope that if you are sampling the Billie Jean kick and snare you know what hard work Bruce Swedien went to create those special very recognisable sonics for you - because hes the geniues behind it, not the fool sticking it into an MPC.

Ive never heard a decent track sample Billie Jean only terrible cheesy bootlegs, if you can point me in the direction of a Hip Hop track which is credible, well produced with a lot of depth in it that samples the kick and snare of Billie Jean im all for it!
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

justblaze. I always loved his sounds.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you're going for a samply sound thats fair enough.

You seem to think im against sampled stuff. Not at all, I grew up with sampled hip hop, sampled rave, sample electronica, sampled jungle, sampled house music.

I used to make it (all of the above) - but im sorry I wont accept that its NOT easier to start with a sample mapped out over some keys than it is to start with a blank canvas.

The difficulty in sampling is finding the sample in the first place. If you pick something that already sounds goods not matter what you do with it, it'll sound good...but its finding something no obvious, or something you know you can flip into something interesting, but not the actual flipping itself that is difficult. Once its in the sampler its really very easy!

Not just my words, the words of Armand Van Helden whos has countless number ones sampling records - anyone could sample what he sampled and do the same thing with it - but the thing is he had the idea first, he found the sample and he did it and hes renowned for having a very good idea.

Sure he might have some skills on the keys but he could never write a hook from scratch like he samples.

Now the kids who can write a hook from scratch and then sample and chop their own work to MAKE it sound sample...they are true geniuses.
I never said that you are against it. I just feel you have a very narrow minded pov about it. You have done nothing but speak down on it and you are basing your opinion on skill. But all we are doing is pushing buttons to trigger sounds, pulling strings or hitting drums with our hands or a stick. We do both until it sounds good but for some reason some individuals not just you seem to place more value on one than the other. If you do any of these things enough it will sound good but I have heard a lot of people f*ck up some great samples.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search