The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How did they get more Headroom? DAW Software
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by glissando View Post
it could be as simple as the returned your mixes on channel strips and had the faders down...generally though cd/MP3 returns on a tape return of sorts...now that I'm thinking about it on an AWS900 recently the ipod we were using for reference was returned somewhere ( I forget now) where the level was extremely low for some reason....what I'm saying is it may not be your mix at all...just some routing. If you are killing the mix buss when you are bouncing then the meters should be pinned when listening back through a calibrated analog situation...however you sound like you are at a stage where you shouldn't be killing the mix buss...As Chris Lago so rudely suggested, that's best left in other hands for the time being.
I seen that one to mane...thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup. I was just a little more helped by the other one, thats all. Im not saying that everyone is like that lolol, but im saying that the people who DO know what there doing ACT as if they ALWAYS knew what they were doing...

Its as if (analogy) they are the adults and everyone else is babies. The babies ask the adults how to do something and then they as the more experienced one say "Shut up you dumb baby...Dont you know you should take it to an adult? Your a baby... dont even try to learn just take it to the adults that do...even though I was a baby before like yourself but i wasnt as dumb of baby as you are..." Tisk Tisk Tisk,
Old 28th March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Great first post... I don't think it's the best way to start here... You know... By insulting someone
I was pointing out an insulting and condescending reply. As was yours Lago - calling on mods to close this thread before anyone had a chance to offer help. You stupid ****
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Head

Great question!

1st step: Don't throw money at the problem, you're gear works, you just need to figure out how to use it better and get some knowledge. Start here, but go further and ask questions of people you trust, maybe even the studio where you took your track.

2nd step: Reexamine you own mix and be more critical of your one mix. Nobody masters on their own-it's like being your own lawyer, but we can all improve our own rough mixes. You can STILL rework you own mix though even it isn't technically "mastering."

3rd step: see number 1
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Addict

Christ.

This place is infested with pricks...
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
If you're trying to get Commercial Loudness, send it to a mastering engineer. Mods please close this thread.

Mods please ban this d0uche.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkface View Post
Mods please ban this d0uche.
yeah!!....oh wait....he is a Mod...hmmmmmm
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Nut

hahahahaha

hahahahahahaha
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J CraQ View Post
the fader was turned down.
yea that's the only realistic answer.

Digital 0db is digital 0db... PTLE, HD or whatever...

loudness? limiting.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Philly is harsh and acts like he's the only one who's ever worked on good music, but he's usually right.
He also drop a lot of inacurate comments especially when it comes to engineering... his best posts are usually about chords progression and stuff like that... and he's not harsh, he is affected by a strong e-Tourette syndrome.
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
yeah!!....oh wait....he is a Mod...hmmmmmm

he's not a Mod ANYMORE!!! his d0uchiness was too great!!! even attracting more d0uches like YOU!!!! heh
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.ALVES View Post
So I interviewed for an internship at a studio in my city. Things went good (aside from me leaving my keys in the car ... anyway). The head engineer ask to listen to some of my work Ive been doing at home to see how good I am. He pops in the cd and of course since its a professional studio I immediately start hearing all my mixing flaws and counting them in my head. I kinda rolled my eyes and looked at the Master track meter for their Pro Tools system and I see like 5 extra db's of head room that I didnt have as I was mixing and mastering those tracks. I mean Im almost squishing the meters (I stop before it sounds bad) but on their meter it looked like I barely touched it after it was mixed.

So My question is: Why dont I have that 5 extra db's of headroom? Is it-

A)Because im using Pro Tools M-Powered 7.3 and they were using LE 7.3? (at least in that room anyway)
OR

B)Because of some random setting hidden in Pro Tools that I cant find?
OR

C) Is it a Interface problem, I mean im using a Fast Track Pro...............
( at me)

I ask this question because Im trying to get commercial loudness but I keep clipping every time I do and because I thought it would be kinda rude to ask why they have more headroom than me during the interview and look like a "Summers EVE" (get it).

If anyone can help much thanks in advance.thumbsup
If I were you, I would just focus on getting the internship there. Once you secure that, then you can learn all you can about why what happened actually happened when playing your mix there that day.

By volunteering to work there for free, you are making the right move towards your ultimate goals. That is a lot better than depending on gearslutz for getting all your questions properly answered. Go out there and take all the answers you need in a real, working environment.
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Maniac

1st, I think they trimmed it down to a reasonable listening level around 83SPL

2nd, Calibrate your meters to -20db or -18db etc. and keep your peaks low in pro tools around -6dbFS or so.. You can find a lot of info here about calibration/ proper Gain stages. (Really research that and you will here a big difference..)

(Gain Staging/Calibration)
Usually around the first chapter of any mix/master book I've read, which people tend to skip, cause I did....

3rd, Use a limiter on master trk. to check loudness but don't bounce with it enabled. Leave that up to the mastering eng. (I use to Squash the sh... out of my mixes with a limiter and never translated good in different sources.)

4th, Nothing hidden in pro tools, it's all about Gain Staging and mixing. M-Powered with fasttrack is good for beginners, but doesn't have all the features of LE or HD. (Hell, use whatever program you are good with.)
Pro Tools doesn't make you a Pro.. I wish. It takes Years of learning...

Conclusion,
Don't try to out beat Pro CDs as far as loudness. If you can do that, You will have tons of headroom left and the pro studios will love you for not trying to destroy there gear with massive distortions......

Hope that answered your questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.ALVES View Post
So I interviewed for an internship at a studio in my city. Things went good (aside from me leaving my keys in the car ... anyway). The head engineer ask to listen to some of my work Ive been doing at home to see how good I am. He pops in the cd and of course since its a professional studio I immediately start hearing all my mixing flaws and counting them in my head. I kinda rolled my eyes and looked at the Master track meter for their Pro Tools system and I see like 5 extra db's of head room that I didnt have as I was mixing and mastering those tracks. I mean Im almost squishing the meters (I stop before it sounds bad) but on their meter it looked like I barely touched it after it was mixed.

So My question is: Why dont I have that 5 extra db's of headroom? Is it-

A)Because im using Pro Tools M-Powered 7.3 and they were using LE 7.3? (at least in that room anyway)
OR

B)Because of some random setting hidden in Pro Tools that I cant find?
OR

C) Is it a Interface problem, I mean im using a Fast Track Pro...............
( at me)

I ask this question because Im trying to get commercial loudness but I keep clipping every time I do and because I thought it would be kinda rude to ask why they have more headroom than me during the interview and look like a "Summers EVE" (get it).

If anyone can help much thanks in advance.thumbsup
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post

On a side note, as everyone here has mentioned, it has to do with more than throwing a limiter on the 2 buss and pulling down the threshold. The overall mix will have an impact on how loud your mix (can) will be. Most of us hip hop heads love to have big drums. Drums will eat most of your headroom right away. Loudness usually is heard from the midrange to highend of your mix. i havent heard your mix but if what im saying sets off any alarms inside your head, try it out and see if it helps.
^^This^^

The loudness of the final master is dependent upon the sound of the mix, not that you should be concerned with loudness anyways. Like Deuc647 said, drums, claps, snares can eat up headroom fast so loudness is dependent upon on how they sit in the mix. The most common way to achieve loudness in today's music is Multibrand Compression and lots of it. MC is almost a necessity for Hip-Hop music. And remember, if you want the master to thump and be bass heavy, then make sure your mix is that way before you send it to get mastered. Cutting can be way more dangerous than boosting because once the frequencies is filtered or cut, it's very hard to bring the thump back in, especially within a master.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search