The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tube Tech CL 1B Dynamics Plugins
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Tube Tech CL 1B

I have recently purchased the CL1b plug in as well as most of the other Softube plugins and I must say that the CL1b is perhaps one of the finest compressor plugins out there and extemely close(imho) to the hardware version.
Old 26th March 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
I have recently purchased the CL1b plug in as well as most of the other Softube plugins and I must say that the CL1b is perhaps one of the finest compressor plugins out there and extemely close(imho) to the hardware version.
I've got it... it's good.
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Addict

Agreed. It's the best compression of it's kind that I've tried.
A very good and useful compressor that definitely recalls the character of a real Cl1b.
Very similar to the Waves La2, but better.

However it doesn't have the vibrant harmonics of the hardware, and comes across as a more 2D sound in comparison.
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Maniac

also listening to liquid mix's emulation (there is a contest on their website where u have to choose if the track was made with liquid or with the real gear) i can advice that there always something good lost, more in the high part of the spectrum. Real voltage is real voltage i guess
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

it's on my 'to purchase/checkout' list. but because of the 'not insignificant' price, i'm putting off all non-essential purchases until i grab my purple mc77.

what i'm saying is, i'm sure it's brilliant, but at those kinda prices, i'm more interested in putting the money towards a piece of quality hardware... i'm sure i'll purchase either this or the waves CLA-2A stuff this year at some point, though. stillwell audio, the psp totalpack and my fully kitted out duende (amongst other bits and pieces) are getting me by fine for now

i know both of you guys already have a fair wack of quality hardware so, rock on
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Maniac

yeah.. Great tool!
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Nut

Agreed!

Quote:
I can't personally compare to the original but the minute I used the demo of this I was like "WOW"! I love this plugin.

thumbsup
Old 26th March 2010
Hmm so after all this time of me hammering it into people's head... Finally people realize?!?

I don't know how many times I've said that the plugin sounded really close to the hardware. Then people would tell me that it was bogus and that I was wrong...
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Hmm so after all this time of me hammering it into people's head... Finally people realize?!?

I don't know how many times I've said that the plugin sounded really close to the hardware. Then people would tell me that it was bogus and that I was wrong...
I, as the dissenting member of GS who actually believes you know what you are talking about Chris, can honestly say this plug-in sounds fantastic. No Cl1b at E to do a direct comparison to - but to my recollection is sounds like the hardware. But more importantly, having tried it out just a smidge today, I can say it sounds great. One more thing I can do with instant recall.

The massive passive (UAD) sounded freakin' great too. Maybe that's the next one on the list? Or maybe we just don't need to buy any more gear for a while... just get that tape machine serviced heh.
Old 27th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
I, as the dissenting member of GS who actually believes you know what you are talking about Chris
heh (this is going into my hall of fame of replies)

I haven't spent any money on gear in 2 months, I am itching here LA is nice but it's frikking expensive. It's ok though, I'm saving up for a c800g.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
heh (this is going into my hall of fame of replies)

I haven't spent any money on gear in 2 months, I am itching here LA is nice but it's frikking expensive. It's ok though, I'm saving up for a c800g.
Start by selling that blackhole.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The massive passive (UAD) sounded freakin' great too.
UAD MP sounds like crap, but can be used to store presets for the real one.

UAD-2 Massive Passive vs. real Massive Passive

UAD2 Massive Passive vs Massive Passive
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm saving up for a c800g.
that mic sounds like crap.
nu47.com SWE#1 is much better.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...en-no-1-a.html

Peluso VTB vs Sony c800g..FINALLY!!
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai View Post
that mic sounds like crap.
nu47.com SWE#1 is much better.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...en-no-1-a.html
I wouldn't say it sounds like crap but there are many choices that smokes it for a fraction of the cost.
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Is it best only for vocal or not?
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

I demo'd it.... And it's a cool plug... But I can't really justify spending 450 (or is it 400?) dollars to buy it...

I really really wanted to be blown away by this plug.... but wasn't.

I know. I'm probably the only one.
Old 27th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai View Post
On guitar yes. I dig the c800g, and I would not buy a Swedien No 1. If it was such crap you wouldn't hear it as often as you do in Pop/RNB/Hip-Hop/Rap. I make modern music, I want a modern mic. By The Way, I wouldn't be using it as a guitar microphone, that's just silly.

The Black Hole Is pretty good by the way. I'd probably keep it around when I work at other studios as a session vocalist. FET mics are good on location because they are easy to setup.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

As someone who uses a c800g on a fairly regular basis, rest assured, it doesn't sound like crap. It sounds quite good. It is extremely expensive - I'll concede that, but it's a top quality mic.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
As someone who uses a c800g on a fairly regular basis, rest assured, it doesn't sound like crap. It sounds quite good. It is extremely expensive - I'll concede that, but it's a top quality mic.
Yeah, it's a quality mic but nowhere near worth the price they are asking for.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo46 View Post
Is it best only for vocal or not?
Nope
Old 27th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
Yeah, it's a quality mic but nowhere near worth the price they are asking for.
You can find it used for 3.5k, 4k. It's definitely worth the investment. Everytime I use it, I'm always astounded about the sound. It's really clear and it's easy to mix. Perfect for Mainstream Radio.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can find it used for 3.5k, 4k. It's definitely worth the investment. Everytime I use it, I'm always astounded about the sound. It's really clear and it's easy to mix. Perfect for Mainstream Radio.
I would only pay $1200 dollars for it and would be hesitating to do so. Before people start spending money on equipment, they first need to use common sense. If you have a clean mic like the Sony C800g, you're gonna need a pretty thick and heavy pre to match it up with. If you are using a warm, thick, gooey mic like the AT4047/4060, you need a cleanish type preamp like the Hardy M1/M2 or Avalon to match it up with. It's just common sense, no science involved. The same rule applies to compressors and equalizers. You can't have thick, on top of thick, on top of thick. It'll never work.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would only pay $1200 dollars for it and would be hesitating to do so. Before people start spending money on equipment, they first need to use common sense. If you have a clean mic like the Sony C800g, you're gonna need a pretty thick and heavy pre to match it up with. If you are using a warm, thick, gooey mic like the AT4047/4060, you need a cleanish type preamp like the Hardy M1/M2 or Avalon to match it up with. It's just common sense, no science involved. The same rule applies to compressors and equalizers. You can't have thick, on top of thick, on top of thick. It'll never work.
IMHO,the 800g is SO ****ing over rated.
I never understood its appeal...other than aestheticallly
Its ok for stacking backing vox but its way to bright for my taste insofar as lead vox are concerned.
Ive recorded main vox with one before and I quickly re recorded them.
I NEVER had an artist who liked the mike..never.
I think that those who like it are only impressed with the way they look and that their favorite "artist of the week" is using it because "it costs a ****load of stacks."
Most def not my cup of syrup.
Feel me??
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMHO,the 800g is SO ****ing over rated.
I never understood its appeal...other than aestheticallly
Its ok for stacking backing vox but its way to bright for my taste insofar as lead vox are concerned.
Ive recorded main vox with one before and I quickly re recorded them.
I NEVER had an artist who liked the mike..never.
I think that those who like it are only impressed with the way they look and that their favorite "artist of the week" is using it because "it costs a ****load of stacks."
Most def not my cup of syrup.
Feel me??
You been hanging round da hood too much lately, lol. I feel ya pimpin'.heh
Old 27th March 2010
Quote:
I would only pay $1200 dollars for it and would be hesitating to do so. Before people start spending money on equipment, they first need to use common sense. If you have a clean mic like the Sony C800g, you're gonna need a pretty thick and heavy pre to match it up with.
I Match It up with the MA5 then with the CL1b, It can't be thicker than that, I assure you heh

So how much would you pay for a 70's U87?
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:

The massive passive (UAD) sounded freakin' great too. .

daaaaamn, they got the MP for UAD now? gotta check that out.

i haven't tried the CL1B plug yet either, but if its anything close to the hardware it can't be bad.

and the c800 a bad mic? LOL maybe a little pricey, but a great mic.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I Match It up with the MA5 then with the CL1b, It can't be thicker than that, I assure you heh

So how much would you pay for a 70's U87?
0. I would pay $2000 anyday for a Neumann u89 though. Amazing mic that smokes the U87 anyday.
Old 27th March 2010
Quote:
0. I would pay $2000 anyday for a Neumann u89 though. Amazing mic that smokes the U87 anyday.
I can possibly find a u89 for 1400, I actually like it more than the u87 myself.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

I know the U87 gets a lot of shyt around here, but to be honest, i like it a lot for tracking vox, especially when you get a track that is already bounced() to 2 track. Best combo ive heard with it was U87>presonus ADL 600. Sounded pretty polsihed and didnt need any EQ. YMMV
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Nope
What do you use for?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search