The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tube Tech CL 1B Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Smooth as silk in my world.
Its all in the application and experience
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael kennedy View Post
The plugin seemed to take out more of the high's then the actual hardware unit.
Spot on!thumbsup
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael kennedy View Post
we tried to the UAD LA2A up againt our cl1b's and found that to be a much closer match then the softube cl1b plugin.

the UAD LA2A is a GREAT software compressor. one of the only software compressors that really has a hardware vibe.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
I would love to,just let me know when

B
B, I have a mix to do this weekend but it shouldn't take more than a few hours. (I've been working on it around other stuff like WORK all week so I'm just about done). I'm free Friday or any day of the weekend. We need to link up anyway since we never did yet.)
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
B, I have a mix to do this weekend but it shouldn't take more than a few hours. (I've been working on it around other stuff like WORK all week so I'm just about done). I'm free Friday or any day of the weekend. We need to link up anyway since we never did yet.)
I sent you a pm with the digitsheh
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
You could also download the Protools session file I posted and use it as a 2nd set to compare. The original poster included the uncompressed files as well as the compressed files that were re-recorded with the hardware unit. (Protools> Rosetta 800> CL1B> Rosetta 800> Protools). He was comparing different tubes in his unit. When I downloaded the session to compare and reloaded it, I also added the compressed files from the VT-737sp(fast attack mod), Distressor, and the plugin(Protools > Rosetta 800> protools). See how they differ on the same audio files.

My thought is that you could take his original uncompressed file in the session, send it out to your hardware unit and also use the plugin (all with the same settings). Re-record the compressed audio, then compare it to the original compressed audio files. Along with comparing the hardware to plugin, I'm just wondering by chance if his unit and you unit will be exactly the same, or if your both compressed files from the plugin with be exactly the same. (they should be dam close)

heh just **** to do if you have the time and if you're open-minded to hear and learn the differences if any. The 737sp and Distressor could really suck ass going up against the CL1b.(jokingly) Aint nothing like hearing things with your own ears, in your studio and compare your thoughts with what others have to say.

And as I told you months ago, that plugin sounds pretty close to me.
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by populardemand View Post
I agree. The CL1B plug is my go-to for vocals along w/ CLA LA3A & LA2A. Both the Softube CL1B and the CLA's are scary close to my hardware versions.
Last night had a chance to demo it wanting to see what the hypes all about.

Here's my take on it. CLA 2A has a real heavy tone and is EXTREMELY in your face. the cl1b is nice..... doesnt fight or anything and its sits perfectly on vox. Not as heavy as the cla2a but it has a little something their. My only gripe with it is that it can sound super smashed way way way to easy.

yes it is minor steep and im scratching my head and wondering if its worth the purchase. I did get a great price quote and is itchy fingered. Im sorta pissed because the FET compressor is EXTREMELY sick and make me want to break some **** but.... thats another post. I still love my CLA's best purchase ever done. Now what im to do with RENMAXX I got from Tony
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killah_Trakz View Post
Last night had a chance to demo it wanting to see what the hypes all about.

Here's my take on it. CLA 2A has a real heavy tone and is EXTREMELY in your face. the cl1b is nice..... doesnt fight or anything and its sits perfectly on vox. Not as heavy as the cla2a but it has a little something their. My only gripe with it is that it can sound super smashed way way way to easy.

yes it is minor steep and im scratching my head and wondering if its worth the purchase. I did get a great price quote and is itchy fingered. Im sorta pissed because the FET compressor is EXTREMELY sick and make me want to break some **** but.... thats another post. I still love my CLA's best purchase ever done. Now what im to do with RENMAXX I got from Tony
They all are very good to have in your plug in arsenal.
Regarding the CL1b,just back off on the threshold some and try a faster attack.
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Head

this thread is making me get the cl1b
thanks for the knowledge philly!
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
They all are very good to have in your plug in arsenal.
Regarding the CL1b,just back off on the threshold some and try a faster attack.
cool.....
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankzing420 View Post
this thread is making me get the cl1b
thanks for the knowledge philly!
Its most def worth it as are the other Softube plugins.
And no..I dont work for them
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

yeah, I gotta say, I've been using the cl1b plug a lot. It's just winning out over other software comps left and right on my mixes. Still rockin' the UAD stuff out, but for vocals, the cl1b has been kicking ass. You'll hear it all over the Philadelphia Slick stuff which goes to mastering in a couple of weeks
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
yeah, I gotta say, I've been using the cl1b plug a lot. It's just winning out over other software comps left and right on my mixes. Still rockin' the UAD stuff out, but for vocals, the cl1b has been kicking ass. You'll hear it all over the Philadelphia Slick stuff which goes to mastering in a couple of weeks
What happened to good old Nadia Boulanger,I ask??
Maybe shes giving music lessons over at Future Producers.
Old 11th October 2010
Here for the gear

this is a great plugin. i'm not for plugins but this is a fairly good one.
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
I would only pay $1200 dollars for it and would be hesitating to do so. Before people start spending money on equipment, they first need to use common sense. If you have a clean mic like the Sony C800g, you're gonna need a pretty thick and heavy pre to match it up with. If you are using a warm, thick, gooey mic like the AT4047/4060, you need a cleanish type preamp like the Hardy M1/M2 or Avalon to match it up with. It's just common sense, no science involved. The same rule applies to compressors and equalizers. You can't have thick, on top of thick, on top of thick. It'll never work.
What you say makes sence but ive herd great mixes that were recorded using a transparent mic and a transparent preamp. Same with a warm mic and a warm preamp.
You are forgetting that its not just the mic and preamp that makes the sound.. its the whole chain of effects you use. It can work.
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
What you say makes sence but ive herd great mixes that were recorded using a transparent mic and a transparent preamp. Same with a warm mic and a warm preamp.
You are forgetting that its not just the mic and preamp that makes the sound.. its the whole chain of effects you use. It can work.
I confirm having used a clean mic + a clean preamp + a clean comp = great results if the voice is great and it's hopefully the most important element in the chain... voice characteristic needs to match the whole of course
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isham View Post
I confirm having used a clean mic + a clean preamp + a clean comp = great results if the voice is great and it's hopefully the most important element in the chain... voice characteristic needs to match the whole of course
C800 G + SSL pre has been used on many a vocal very successfully (if those in fact are examples of clean).

That clean pre warm mic post was a perfect example of how real world application and people's thoughts on the internet often look something like this:

(REALITY).............................................................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................................................................
............................................................................................................(Someone's thoughts on Internet)

Notice how they are very far apart. Yeah.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search