The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tube Tech CL 1B Dynamics Plugins
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

This is all very subjective, so I don't see the point in talking down a mic that you don't like just because you feel it's too expensive for you.

I love the Sony C800g. I match it with an original Neve 1073, and the Tubetech cl1B hardware. It's a modern sound. Bright, with lots of body too. No or very little eq required to fit into a track.

I prefer it over the vintage sound of a U47 for what I do.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
You been hanging round da hood too much lately, lol. I feel ya pimpin'.heh
In which case I should have said "syzurp'
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

If I could find a c800 for 1200$, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

I agree it's a bit overrated/overpriced. However, it's an incredible mic. There are definitely places I wouldn't use it - it's not great on vocals at very close proximity, and it has some peakiness in the high end that can exacerbated singers with shrill voices or who have heavy sibiliance.

It has a super clear pick up and an amazing low end - gives vocals clarity and weight.

Outside of vocals, I don't use the c800 much for two reasons. 1, the studio I work at that has it also has matched c12s, a u87, and a u67, so there's always great options. 2, the c800 can be a pain to position.

If I ever wanted to do a mid distance capture on acoustic guitar I would be happy with a c800.

@rickrock - don't have the uad massive passive yet, but I'm definitely interested. I've listened to a bunch of the tests around gs, and I gotta say I jumped the gun when I heard the first one. The plug-in doesn't sound as good when it really kicks in, but it still sound good regardless.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpel View Post
This is all very subjective, so I don't see the point in talking down a mic that you don't like just because you feel it's too expensive for you.

I love the Sony C800g. I match it with an original Neve 1073, and the Tubetech cl1B hardware. It's a modern sound. Bright, with lots of body too. No or very little eq required to fit into a track.

I prefer it over the vintage sound of a U47 for what I do.
Ditto!
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

C-800 good mic, very expensive to maintain.
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1 View Post
C-800 good mic, very expensive to maintain.

yep, that is the big downside of it. they break often and aren't cheap to fix.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

It's costing us about $500.00 a year to own it.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

I wonder if anyone had made a blind test with this c-800 against let's say a brauner vm-1 (which seems to me a future classic even it was not marketed by big hip hop stars...) heh
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Hmm so after all this time of me hammering it into people's head... Finally people realize?!?

I don't know how many times I've said that the plugin sounded really close to the hardware. Then people would tell me that it was bogus and that I was wrong...
some people are months behind the times.

links:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...ug-native.html (hundreds of replies)

audio files:

#56 https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4547659-post56.html

#69 https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4636558-post69.html

full thread: Different Tubes In A Tube Tech CL1B

Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

I actually demoed the Cl1B for a while and I find it to be only "OK", not that great at all in my book. Inot bad but definitely not fantastic. I like the T-racks fairchild MUUUUUCCH better, Like night and day especially on vox, I also Like my la2a HW much better, the plug just doesn't do it for me , it makes everything 2 dimensional
my 2 cents
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
I have recently purchased the CL1b plug in as well as most of the other Softube plugins and I must say that the CL1b is perhaps one of the finest compressor plugins out there and extemely close(imho) to the hardware version.
I agree. The CL1B plug is my go-to for vocals along w/ CLA LA3A & LA2A. Both the Softube CL1B and the CLA's are scary close to my hardware versions.
Old 29th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I actually demoed the Cl1B for a while and I find it to be only "OK", not that great at all in my book. Inot bad but definitely not fantastic. I like the T-racks fairchild MUUUUUCCH better, Like night and day especially on vox, I also Like my la2a HW much better, the plug just doesn't do it for me , it makes everything 2 dimensional
my 2 cents
Which LA2A do you have? Original? Reissue? Ever tested an LA2A vs a Cl1b?
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which LA2A do you have? Original? Reissue? Ever tested an LA2A vs a Cl1b?
I have a custom Bloo La2a with Vintage UTC, I compaired it to the plugin and liked my La2a way better! I have used a Cl1b for tracking for a while at my friend's studio and it did the job find, more versatile then the la2a but not as luscious sounding. I also recall that if you overcompress with the Cl1 it's pretty obvious , the la is way more forgiving anyways I liked the hardware but the plug really didn't do anything "fantastic" for me
Old 29th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I have a custom Bloo La2a with Vintage UTC, I compaired it to the plugin and liked my La2a way better! I have used a Cl1b for tracking for a while at my friend's studio and it did the job find, more versatile then the la2a but not as luscious sounding. I also recall that if you overcompress with the Cl1 it's pretty obvious , the la is way more forgiving anyways I liked the hardware but the plug really didn't do anything "fantastic" for me
That's exactly what I found by A/Bing both. The LA-2A sounded better overall, and didn't choke when pushed. Unfortunately I think the Original LA2As are really expensive. I've never used the LA2A plugin, nor do I use the Cl1b plug anymore since I like to compress on the way in with hardware, but I am basically test driving a friend's Cl1b until I buy one. I'm just not sure yet if I want to buy one. It's obvious that I'm going to want the better sounding piece (to my ears) but it's so damn expensive. I think I need to start producing some no 1 hits heh
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's exactly what I found by A/Bing both. The LA-2A sounded better overall, and didn't choke when pushed. Unfortunately I think the Original LA2As are really expensive. I've never used the LA2A plugin, nor do I use the Cl1b plug anymore since I like to compress on the way in with hardware, but I am basically test driving a friend's Cl1b until I buy one. I'm just not sure yet if I want to buy one. It's obvious that I'm going to want the better sounding piece (to my ears) but it's so damn expensive. I think I need to start producing some no 1 hits heh
Not trying to be smart but people have to remember than great sounding recordings were being made well before these rediculously priced boutique manufacturers started pimping nonsense. $3000 for a compressor and $6500 for a microphone, are you kidding me? This thing use to be like $1200, at the most. When will they wake up, this is rediculous.
Old 29th March 2010
Quote:
Not trying to be smart but people have to remember than great sounding recordings were being made well before these rediculously priced boutique manufacturers started pimping nonsense. $3000 for a compressor and $6500 for a microphone, are you kidding me? This thing use to be like $1200, at the most. When will they wake up, this is rediculous.
Trust me I feel the same way. Especially vintage gear (or in this case the c800g as well) costs tons of money to buy and to maintain.You really have to be at the top of your game to even think of getting these pieces. The question is, do you make enough as a recording engineer to afford these pieces and then some? For me, the answer is no, but for others it can be yes! All in all, the gear doesn't make the songs, but I think it will make a difference if you use better gear, sometimes boutique gear.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Trust me I feel the same way. Especially vintage gear (or in this case the c800g as well) costs tons of money to buy and to maintain.You really have to be at the top of your game to even think of getting these pieces. The question is, do you make enough as a recording engineer to afford these pieces and then some? For me, the answer is no, but for others it can be yes! All in all, the gear doesn't make the songs, but I think it will make a difference if you use better gear, sometimes boutique gear.
But check it. $5000 tube preamps. $3500 mono preamps. $5000 compressors. It's just absurd, really. Spending this kind of money doesn't make up for the years of experience you need to really understand what you are doing. Without the experience and now how, your recordings are still gonna sound like shyt.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Back during those times we were using $300,000 consoles, $40,000 tape machines, in expensive hourly rooms- so it has all evened out
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by populardemand View Post
Back during those times we were using $300,000 consoles, $40,000 tape machines, in expensive hourly rooms- so it has all evened out
$300,000 consoles yet still using $500 dollar outboard that smoked the console. The source is never taken into account for a great recording, it's always the gear which is absurd thinking.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
$300,000 consoles yet still using $500 dollar outboard that smoked the console. The source is never taken into account for a great recording, it's always the gear which is absurd thinking.
The Lexicons, Eventides, EMTs, etc were very expensive. Far from $500. Even the low end of the spectrum yamaha spx90 was double that. Source was what it was but until adats and mackies all viable projects were recorded and mixed in expensive rooms. There was no cheaper alternative home studio until then.
Old 29th March 2010
Quote:
But check it. $5000 tube preamps. $3500 mono preamps. $5000 compressors. It's just absurd, really. Spending this kind of money doesn't make up for the years of experience you need to really understand what you are doing. Without the experience and now how, your recordings are still gonna sound like shyt.
But boutique gear is not for everyone. If you're running a studio where you record Major Label artists, you probably need boutique gear and you can probably afford it too! It's not just about understanding the gear at this point, it's about being able to pay for the gear, to maintain it, while still being able to make money on top of that. It's a bit absurd that a hobbyist would spend this much money on these pieces, since they won't make the money back. Every piece of gear I own, I have bought it because I made money recording people, djing etc (as well as working at a porc plant one summer, ewww). I don't have a whole lot, but at least I have the essential (my knowledge and gear) in order to record professional quality songs. I agree you don't need to spend this much to get results, but you do need to invest a little bit in solid pieces, mainly AD/DA, monitors, quality pres and your room, as well as decent mics if you record solo acts, or maybe more for bigger projects.

I can personally get by with what I have right now, I'm happy with my setup.
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:

exactly.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
exactly.
True indeed but let's don't reminisce on the pass. This is a new day and age where gear is highly affordable and software is used in abundance and effectively. That day and age is over and never will return.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree. The CL1B plug is my go-to for vocals along w/ CLA LA3A & LA2A. Both the Softube CL1B and the CLA's are scary close to my hardware versions.
Thank You!!!!
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Thank You!!!!
Philly if you every want to put them side by side for testing. I have my CL1B in Philly with me.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
Philly if you every want to put them side by side for testing. I have my CL1B in Philly with me.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
I would love to,just let me know when

B
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Addict

I did a shoot out with this plugin and 2 cl1b's, i was very underwhelmed after hearing all of the hype. The plugin seemed to take out more of the high's then the actual hardware unit. Not only that, but just for kicks, we tried to the UAD LA2A up againt our cl1b's and found that to be a much closer match then the softube cl1b plugin.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear
Softube is my favorite plugin company. Everything they make is simply awesome. LOVE the bass program. You can blend DI and amp tones and not have to worry about phasing...their Guitar Amp Room has been my go to for 2 years now, nothing is close to it. Softube is on another level.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search