The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The best mixer for Scratching. DJ Mixers
Old 24th March 2010
Here for the gear

The best mixer for Scratching.

Hi guys,

I hope it is not bad topic here as it is mainly about a production. I am curious what you guys would suggest as the best mixer just for scratching. No matter what are other features like efx and sort of things, and try to distinguish them according to the cost. I do not want anything much expensive.
I would like to try Ecler Nuo 2.0. Is it good a choice? I like it because it has 3 eq knobs unlike the most scratch/battle mixers what I mind. If it is not good one I would choose Vestax PMC-06 which is a scratcher's certainty.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Addict

Traditional vinyl? That's a great choice (the Vestax) as well as the Technics DMC. I personally have the Rane TTM 56 and 57. Also just picked up the Numark NS7
Old 24th March 2010
Deleted #29527
Technically, by FAR the best mixer out: Rodec Scratchbox

Best mixer I´ve ever had. Rock solid, heavily built, incredible faders, great sound. Made by DJ´s for DJ´s ...
No comparison on the current market imo.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSon View Post

Best mixer I´ve ever had. Rock solid, heavily built, incredible faders, great sound. Made by DJ´s for DJ´s ...
Damn, those mixers look nice, and about the same price as Rane mixers. How do they compare to Rane?
Old 24th March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixHitz View Post
Traditional vinyl? That's a great choice (the Vestax) as well as the Technics DMC. I personally have the Rane TTM 56 and 57. Also just picked up the Numark NS7
only vinyl yes, the Vestax would be definitely the great choice. What about Ecler, as I mentioned above, do you (all) have any experinece with that? As far as know Ecler has very good cutting eq bass,mid,treble knobs unlike Vestax which has only bass and treble, what is a pity. By the way, I can't understad why they couldn't make it with a one knob more?
Rane is certainly good chice too, but it is uselessly too expansive for me. Numark is good to check it.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Rane.
Old 24th March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
Rane.
I don't need Serato.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

The 56 was a great mixer long before Serato...
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

i've never heard of the scratchbox, i would most definitely search for as many reviews as possible, from users, not mags. lots of things look great, but that's just marketing. i don't know what makes it "by far the best" out there.

Rane is tried and true and has great customer support. their faders are butter and sturdy; they will never wear out. Vestax has great faders too, but used to be prone to breakage. i think they may have worked on that, though. i've got the rane -57, which i highly recommend. all 3 faders have adjustable curve and are reversible. rane mixers have a good sound, nice and thick. plus there are lots of cool efx sends and stuff i haven't even tried out yet. and it comes with serato. it's pricey, but worth it if you want to do a lot of different stuff.

the vestax 06 is your best bet for a cheap mixer with a great xfader. the music will sound kind of thin, though. if it's just scratches and cuts, that doesn't matter as much.

the turntable is THE cornerstone of hip hop
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

I have been scratching for over 14 years won countless DJ battles I have rane mixers, a couple of vestax I had the technics mixer, the best mixer for scratch i have ever used is the Ecler HAK 380 ! The eternel fader is great and the scratch cue function is awsome when mixing live, trust me u won't be disapponted
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I don't need Serato.
Don't be so quick to dismiss... There's nothing like being able to take your recently laid vocals or any other source and have it immediately available to cut up on the tables. For years I had to impatiently wait to get vinyl back from Rainbow Records to be able to cut up vox for projects
Old 24th March 2010
Deleted #29527
I know the Rodec Scratchbox is not a very common mixer yet. However, I personally know the guys who invented the product in coorperation with Rodec, and I can say that these guys totally know their sh**.

The Scratchbox is a connoisseur´s piece of gear. Many top DJ´s worldwide that I know have tested it and loved it (including multiple ITF & DMC world champions).

I have pretty much used most of the known mixers out on the market, but the Scratchbox is in its own league.

I have had personal talks with the CEO of the company about their product, investigating about the parts that they put into that piece. Their philosophy is quality over quantity. That is why the Scratchbox hasn´t become a huge seller yet. The Box is quite expensive compared to other mixers too, but the quality of the unit is definitely worth the money.

I have been DJing for 15 years now, and I hardly ever came across a piece of DJ gear that I liked this much.
To each his own, but unless my Scratchbox is dying on me, I´ll probably never buy another mixer again.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

If you are looking for something to lay cuts down in the studio, it's not that big a deal. If you are a battle DJ and relentlessly practice 'till your hands are sore, you want something with an optical crossfader.

I use Rane myself but it's an older TTM 52i with the regular brush style crossfader. I've had to replace it at least 7 times since I bought it 7 years ago. Of course Vestax has that cult status.
Old 24th March 2010
Deleted #29527
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Set Surgeon View Post
If you are looking for something to lay cuts down in the studio, it's not that big a deal. If you are a battle DJ and relentlessly practice 'till your hands are sore, you want something with an optical crossfader.

I use Rane myself but it's an older TTM 52i with the regular brush style crossfader. I've had to replace it at least 7 times since I bought it 7 years ago. Of course Vestax has that cult status.
Abso-effin-lutely!
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
Hi guys,

I hope it is not bad topic here as it is mainly about a production. I am curious what you guys would suggest as the best mixer just for scratching. No matter what are other features like efx and sort of things, and try to distinguish them according to the cost. I do not want anything much expensive.
I would like to try Ecler Nuo 2.0. Is it good a choice? I like it because it has 3 eq knobs unlike the most scratch/battle mixers what I mind. If it is not good one I would choose Vestax PMC-06 which is a scratcher's certainty.
Benadryl and a corticosteroid cocktail used three times a day and perhaps some witch hazel.
Old 25th March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixHitz View Post
Don't be so quick to dismiss... There's nothing like being able to take your recently laid vocals or any other source and have it immediately available to cut up on the tables. For years I had to impatiently wait to get vinyl back from Rainbow Records to be able to cut up vox for projects
I know, I was just kidding about Rane's mixer with Serato inside , Serato is a good thing for sure but I do not need it as a part of my mixer.
Old 25th March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I have been scratching for over 14 years won countless DJ battles I have rane mixers, a couple of vestax I had the technics mixer, the best mixer for scratch i have ever used is the Ecler HAK 380 ! The eternel fader is great and the scratch cue function is awsome when mixing live, trust me u won't be disapponted

This I have wanted to here it, because I consider to purchase Ecler Nuo 2. heh
Nuo 2 looks just smaller then HAK 380. Do you think about any difference between them?
Old 25th March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Benadryl and a corticosteroid cocktail used three times a day and perhaps some witch hazel.
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Maniac
Personally, I had a Vestax 07ISP for years, and sold it when I discovered I could hook up one of these in about anything... Check for compatibility, but a great deal is to buy any used mixer and pimp it with a Pro X Fade...
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

here and be done with it!
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
I know the Rodec Scratchbox is not a very common mixer yet. However, I personally know the guys who invented the product in coorperation with Rodec, and I can say that these guys totally know their sh**.

The Scratchbox is a connoisseur´s piece of gear. Many top DJ´s worldwide that I know have tested it and loved it (including multiple ITF & DMC world champions).

I have pretty much used most of the known mixers out on the market, but the Scratchbox is in its own league.

I have had personal talks with the CEO of the company about their product, investigating about the parts that they put into that piece. Their philosophy is quality over quantity. That is why the Scratchbox hasn´t become a huge seller yet. The Box is quite expensive compared to other mixers too, but the quality of the unit is definitely worth the money.

I have been DJing for 15 years now, and I hardly ever came across a piece of DJ gear that I liked this much.
To each his own, but unless my Scratchbox is dying on me, I´ll probably never buy another mixer again.
I just bought one of these. It is a damned good mixer. Totally recommend it.
Old 15th December 2010
Deleted #29527
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_O_P View Post
I just bought one of these. It is a damned good mixer. Totally recommend it.
thumbsup
Old 15th December 2010
always loved the vestax 06, but heard plenty of good things about the hak stuff.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Guru

The best mixer for Scratching.

I've always been a vestax guy, but recently tried a Rane and liked it.
Old 16th December 2010
cpu
Gear Addict

I've been using the Rane TTM56 for a little over 10 years. I've gone through three crossfaders, and they are super easy to change out. I've been extremely happy with it.
Old 16th December 2010
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu View Post
I've been using the Rane TTM56 for a little over 10 years. I've gone through three crossfaders, and they are super easy to change out. I've been extremely happy with it.
I have a TTM56 & the faders on it have been sticky pretty much since i got it. No matter how much I clean the faders, they become sticky within hours.

Every time I contacted Rane they only suggested a cleaning. Even with a cleaning and silicon lubing they get sticky quick. Nobody else seems to have the same issue with their TTM56 mixer.

Do you think new channel faders and a crossfader would fix the issue?

Thanks,

Dor
Old 16th December 2010
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
I have a TTM56 & the faders on it have been sticky pretty much since i got it. No matter how much I clean the faders, they become sticky within hours.

Every time I contacted Rane they only suggested a cleaning. Even with a cleaning and silicon lubing they get sticky quick. Nobody else seems to have the same issue with their TTM56 mixer.

Thanks,

Dor
I had a ecler HAC 360 and was told to NOT clean the fader. Magnetic one just like one on thr TTM
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post

Thanks,

Dor
Do you actually take the fader apart and clean the rails and the inside of the plastic guide? The rails should just be cleaned/buffed with newspaper, the receiver slot on the fader guide with a q-tip. I've only used very light sewing machine oil on mine. Also, I lift the spring above the rails so it no longer makes any contact. Some (from Rane) will say that the fader isn't replaceable, but you should be able to get them to send you new rails and the plastic guide. Just take caution that you don't bend the receivers on the ends as that is what will cause your bleeding. If so, gently align them vertically to correct the issue. Good Luck
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

For me, the vestax faders are too light, the weight of the faders on the Ranes feel good, but i think the travel is too short on it. I personally really enjoy the Technics EX mixer, and in most clubs you'll be running into pioneer 800's. I have a Pioneer 909, but I don't like it that much. Im **** at cutting anyways =) Im not too familiar with the other brands, but im sure they are worth having a look at.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search