The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking into the Avedis MA5.. Single-Channel Preamps
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Head

Looking into the Avedis MA5..

I'm looking to purchase one of these and wanted to know who here on gearslutz is using one, and what their opinion of it is? I did some reading around on here, but couldn't really find much on how it does with rap/rnb vocals...since thats what I will mainly be using it on...

Is there something out there that sounds better in the price range, or am I trying to get too much bang for my buck?? lol

I've pretty much decided to keep it around this price range, and spend a little extra cash on another mic, and maybe a couple more bass traps for my room.

Also any idea where I'd be able to get one to demo? I would love to do so before spending the money..

Thanks in advance for any help and info you guys can throw my way..
Old 24th March 2010
Hey, I honestly think that with the MA5 you won't need another pre ever!This thing just rocks. Big, fat, vintage sounding, every time I use it, I am reminded of all the classic albums with the Neve 1073 sound, and this one is very much in the same style. Tony convinced me to get one and wow, it was a great purchase.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Hey, I honestly think that with the MA5 you won't need another pre ever!This thing just rocks. Big, fat, vintage sounding, every time I use it, I am reminded of all the classic albums with the Neve 1073 sound, and this one is very much in the same style. Tony convinced me to get one and wow, it was a great purchase.
Oh, THAT explains how you got the banhammer.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Head

@ Chris, when I heard the vox samples you sent me I was really impressed so I'm really considering it...it does have the type of sound I'm aiming for.

I'd like to know what the others have to say about it as well, if they own one, or have used one on a consistent basis.

Thanks guys..
Old 24th March 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop View Post
Oh, THAT explains how you got the banhammer.
Chris, along with several other posters, was given temporary mod powers to lock or delete threads while I went on vacation for 1 week.... That is all. He is once again a regular member like everyone else.

Also, he did not buy an MA5 from me.
Old 24th March 2010
I actually bought it used from rajprods (Along with an Avedis R52 Rack), it's pretty easy to tell if you check my itraders feedbacks
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Head

So anyways...back to the original purpose of this thread,anyone have some input??
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Nut

I've got one, its great.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

i've mentioned it several times here before that i have a pair that i use for nearly all tracking purposes. with 1 and a lunchbox you're looking around 1000 which is a good start because you can continue to add if you need to in the future. it just depends on your needs.

if you're only recording vocals and are not worried about expanding your outboard arsenal just yet, a complete tracking solution that i've personally used is the avalon 737 for about $1200 used. this is a channel strip so you'd be up and running immediately with no need for an external compressor or eq. the avalon has a very light color though so if your microphone isn't good it'll show...
Old 24th March 2010
MA5

I have two Ma5's running into a prism orpheus and they are very clear in the mids while having the distortion characteristics of the neve 10 series modules in the upper and lower frequencies. They don't mud up when you stack with these. They instead make the track sound like it was recorded through a console. Alot of gel! I am thinking of getting 2 more very soon. These pre's make digital sound alot better IMO.

The lowend has a touch more than the bae 1073, so if you put this pre on a kick prepare to not hate your beta 52 so much. Add the 28k and there's your beater harmonics!!!

Old 25th March 2010
Gear Head

how much are lunch boxes going for??

also, what if I'm not really looking to go the lunch box route...is there another pre out there you guys would recommend some what similar??

thanks..
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Head

...??
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Head

anoyone?????
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Avedis is truly a great guy and stands behind his gear...

unless he is working on the front panel.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Nut

Buy one, but the only thing i can say is try to pair it with a mic with a heavy midrange and you will get a more consistent rounder sound and you will save some time on your mixes. Best of luck!
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

I like the MA5...but mic selection is more important :D
Old 1st April 2010
I use mine on everything I can.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Somebody will probably say modded GAP73.

I still think the modded aspect of this thing is yet to be truly blown wide open.

I would love to hear something like a GAP73 with a Jensen input transformer a Carnhill output transformer, with audiophile caps, with a better PSU.

I really think that the modded version and the 1073 have something similar going on but I would rather just make the GAP73 sound good for what it can truly be versus strictly chasing after another pres sound.

If you are on a small budget, then you might be better off going with something used. If you say only have 500 dollars to spend, then your options are kind of limited for transformer coupled goodness, except a stock GAP73 which might be a completely bad match for what you want.

But you could try to get something from prodigy pro forum, they sell diy transformer coupled tube pres and all that on the black market. Some of the stuff they are selling over there is really sweet. I just scored a 5 channel Dukane mixer over there for 60 bucks. I had the guy who sold it to me, mod it with direct outs, so now its 5 preamps, plus a 5 channel mixer and one bump line amp, because he added a tap into the master output loop the feeds a transformer the size of my fist.

Just trying to be helpful...You could always get a 2 space lunchbox and get an MA5.

Did somebody release a 1 space lunchbox yet?? If no then why not?

Peace
Illumination
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Head

It's a tough choice to make, with so many quality pres out there.

@illacov...who said I only had 500 dollars to spend? I'm looking for a quality pre, and I'm pretty sure I wont find one for 500 dollars, my budgets is pretty much starting at about 750 anywhere up to about 2500 for the pre, or maybe even a channel strip.

I've heard many good things about the MA5 but I'm still not sure if thats the way I'll be going.

Anyone else have suggestions for pre's in the price range...since it will help with your input, the only mics I own right now are a Blue Baby Bottle, and a ADK A-51. I actually got a hold of a SM7 to borrow for the next week or so, and I might be buying one for myself.
Old 3rd April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Lab MG View Post
I've heard many good things about the MA5 but I'm still not sure if thats the way I'll be going.
Nothing exists that is better for less... You will find preamps that might be of similar quality for more money. But, really the MA5 is one of the best preamps at any price, and stands head and shoulders above everything else in the 500 series.
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Head

Thanks Tony,

I'm not sure if I really want to go the 500 series way though.

What's your thoughts, I'm kind of leaning towards a channel strip instead.

Any input?
Old 4th April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Lab MG View Post
Thanks Tony,

I'm not sure if I really want to go the 500 series way though.

What's your thoughts, I'm kind of leaning towards a channel strip instead.

Any input?
My favorite is the Aurora Audio GTQC:

High Profile Audio | Aurora Audio GTQC Channel Strip | 401-316-6423

Old 5th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Nothing exists that is better for less... You will find preamps that might be of similar quality for more money. But, really the MA5 is one of the best preamps at any price, and stands head and shoulders above everything else in the 500 series.

Ma5 is one of em but nothing comes better than the pre73 at its price point period!
Though the components may not be of the same quality tha ma5 consists of, For the peanuts it go's for and the colored sound it imparts regardless of the neve clone status,

Everyone should at least have a pair!
Old 6th April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerbeats View Post
Ma5 is one of em but nothing comes better than the pre73 at its price point period!
Though the components may not be of the same quality tha ma5 consists of, For the peanuts it go's for and the colored sound it imparts regardless of the neve clone status,

Everyone should at least have a pair!
Sorry, but you can't compare something like the MA5 to that unit.

That's like comparing a Ford Focus to a Porsche 911 Turbo.
Old 6th April 2010
Quote:

heh

Just by curiosity, how is the Ma5 compared to the Aurora Audio pre?
Old 6th April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
heh

Just by curiosity, how is the Ma5 compared to the Aurora Audio pre?
Porsche 911 Turbo to Bugatti Veyron

Old 6th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

Sorry but im not comparing the units im using the price point for what it is and the value that your getting!
Im sure the Ma5 is better obviously thats why its price is justified!

Have you heard the pre73 Tony ?

Would you ever give other products a fair chance to gain its recognition ?
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:

Ahh, I guess its time to reconsider...

I'm going to look into that Aurora Audio GTQC Channel Strip.
Old 6th April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerbeats View Post
Would you ever give other products a fair chance to gain its recognition ?
Sure... But, I also don't have to support products that I feel are sub-par, or don't meet my standards.
Old 6th April 2010
Quote:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search