The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking into the Avedis MA5.. Single-Channel Preamps
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Sure... But, I also don't have to support products that I feel are sub-par, or don't meet my standards.
Fair enough.
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
and stands head and shoulders above everything else in the 500 series.
,IMHO.
Old 7th April 2010
Here for the gear

How does the MA5 compare to a Great River pre?
Old 9th April 2010
Here for the gear
How about vs the Blue Robbie? Any thoughts... thnks
Old 10th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Porsche 911 Turbo to Bugatti Veyron

I was thinking of selling my MA5, A Designs rack, and a few other pieces and stepping up to the Aurora Audio GTQ2mkIII, but the comp section in the GTQC is real tempting. Used the Tampa, RNC, Purple Action, and BMD Komit and sold em all. Now Im using CLA's bundle but would like a hardware comp as well.
Old 23rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathrill2002 View Post
How about vs the Blue Robbie? Any thoughts... thnks
The Blue Robbie is a pre that has a subtle tube sound, but is real clean and sits well in a mix. The design is not like by some, but it is stellar preamp.
Old 2nd May 2010
The MA5 is a phenomenal piece of recording equipment. I don't ever care to bother trying anything else. The 28k button is such a unique feature that I use on overheads and snare.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caenros View Post
How does the MA5 compare to a Great River pre?
No responses?
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerbeats View Post
Sorry but im not comparing the units im using the price point for what it is and the value that your getting!
Im sure the Ma5 is better obviously thats why its price is justified!

Would you ever give other products a fair chance to gain its recognition ?
I think that what Tony wanted to point out is that the MA5 uses expensive parts,like the best pots on the market, custom built transformer, hi quality components overall the unit (like the Marconi knob), also the metalwork is great..

All this components will last longer than (for example) the cheap pots on the gap73 (or others more expensive units), and the feel of the knob is also very different.. You can really feel that is worth what it costs.
I'm sure that you could get a nice colored (neveish) sound from the gap73, and you could for sure record great music through it.

The MA5 is sold for a very very cheap price compared on what you'll find in the box.. If the MA5 should be sold on what you have in the box, it will be way more expensive than 775$.. So even if it costs the double it's also a real bargain..
The real bargains are often not the cheapest price but the better value.

I'm not trying to bashing the gap73, it's a good sounding unit for what it costs.
(btw once you change the trannies, and the other mods avalaible, you're quite close to the price of an MA5)

bests,

Cheu
Old 13th August 2010
Gear Maniac

The Five Fish X-72 is the fattest nevish pre out.Great price too.
Old 13th August 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmo View Post
The Five Fish X-72 is the fattest nevish pre out.Great price too.
There is nothing "Neve-ish" about those preamps aside from the input transformer. Totally different circuit, and they aren't Class A or discrete. You can easily see the IC's in the pics on their website.
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGI ENT View Post
I was thinking of selling my MA5, A Designs rack, and a few other pieces and stepping up to the Aurora Audio GTQ2mkIII, but the comp section in the GTQC is real tempting. Used the Tampa, RNC, Purple Action, and BMD Komit and sold em all. Now Im using CLA's bundle but would like a hardware comp as well.
Copped the GTQC. Never looking back. Wish I could afford another.
Old 17th August 2010
Quote:
Copped the GTQC. Never looking back. Wish I could afford another.
Should I sell the MA5 now? I've been thinking of going for a Fearn VT1 or GTQC instead. I want to get out of the 500 series.
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Should I sell the MA5 now? I've been thinking of going for a Fearn VT1 or GTQC instead. I want to get out of the 500 series.
NOW! Fearn is an awesome pre, but for a few $$$ more, you can get awesome eq and 2 comps with the GTQC.
Old 17th August 2010
Quote:
NOW! Fearn is an awesome pre, but for a few $$$ more, you can get awesome eq and 2 comps with the GTQC.
I compared the 1081 with the Fearn and all in all, In a mix the Fearn was much easier to EQ, compress, Mix etc, It sounded just right. The 1081 was 95% there, with sharper mids but this is also personal preference, as I thought both pres were in the same ballpark. The Fearn and the 1081, to me, sounded very similar.
Old 19th August 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
I want to get out of the 500 series.
Out of curiosity Chris, why are you trying to get out of 500s?
Old 19th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeuce View Post
Out of curiosity Chris, why are you trying to get out of 500s?
Because if I'd get the GTQC I wouldn't need that rack anymore. We'll see, I'm thinking of maybe just adding to what I already have.
Old 19th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
There is nothing "Neve-ish" about those preamps aside from the input transformer. Totally different circuit, and they aren't Class A or discrete. You can easily see the IC's in the pics on their website.

Thats right I forgot, everyone knows you can tell how "nevish a pre is by the way it LOOKS....Its a good thing I own one, have owned other clones (cl7602 , vintech x73 ), and used real 1073's on several occasions....so much for good ol fashioned experience.
Old 19th August 2010
Quote:
Thats right I forgot, everyone knows you can tell how "nevish a pre is by the way it LOOKS....Its good thing I own one, have owned other clones (cl7602 , vintech x73 ), and used real 1073's on several occasions....so much for good ol fashioned expereience.
Under qualified heh 156 posts, come on man! :P
Old 19th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
My "gearslut tokens" might be low, but my point is still valid...Love the Aura Gear gear, definately worth the coin. I've never own a peace, but I've worked with the GTQ2 a great deal as well....
Old 19th August 2010
Quote:
My "gearslut tokens" might be low, but my point is still valid...Love the Aura Gear gear, definately worth the coin. I've never own a peace, but I've worked with the GTQ2 a great deal as well....
Would you sell an MA5 to get the GTQC?
Old 19th August 2010

Quote:
Thats right I forgot, everyone knows you can tell how "nevish a pre is by the way it LOOKS....Its good thing I own one, have owned other clones (cl7602 , vintech x73 ), and used real 1073's on several occasions....so much for good ol fashioned expereience.
Fair enough. But, we aren't talking about the front panel looks. We are talking about the circuitry.

LOOK at the circuit and it doesn't have ANY of the same components that a Neve or Neve style preamp would have... It's a COMPLETELY different circuit.

If you think it sounds like a 1073, then I would say that I highly doubt you have done an accurate comparison.
Old 19th August 2010
Gear Maniac

If you think it sounds like a 1073, then I would say that I highly doubt you have done an accurate comparison.[/QUOTE]

And I quote "neve ish" I didn't say it sounded like a 1073, I said that it possesses Neve like qualities (insert cliche Neve adjectives here) ...

Would you sell an MA5 to get the GTQC?[/QUOTE]

I can't say, I have never used one. But if I had the cash to pick up a GTQC right now, I would without a second thought (then after I would probably sell most of my other pres.)....I feel you on wanting to get out of the 500 series, but its so easy to get diff flavors, in an affordable way.
Old 19th August 2010
Gear Addict

[/QUOTE]

if I had the cash to pick up a GTQC right now, I would without a second thought )....I feel you on wanting to get out of the 500 series, but its so easy to get diff flavors, in an affordable way.[/QUOTE]

In Chris's case, he has the opportunity to get a used GTQC for an AWESOME price, in his city, skipping all shipping charges and waiting times.
Old 19th August 2010
Gear Maniac

In Chris's case, he has the opportunity to get a used GTQC for an AWESOME price, in his city, skipping all shipping charges and waiting times.[/QUOTE]

If the price were that awesome, he wouldn't be thinking about it ...Do it Lago, Its not like your going to regret it, and the resale value of both pieces should be pretty good.
Old 20th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you think it sounds like a 1073, then I would say that I highly doubt you have done an accurate comparison.

And I quote "neve ish" I didn't say it sounded like a 1073, I said that it possesses Neve like qualities (insert cliche Neve adjectives here) ...

Would you sell an MA5 to get the GTQC?[/QUOTE]

I can't say, I have never used one. But if I had the cash to pick up a GTQC right now, I would without a second thought (then after I would probably sell most of my other pres.)....I feel you on wanting to get out of the 500 series, but its so easy to get diff flavors, in an affordable way.[/QUOTE]

You should post some clips of the X72.

Owel is a good dude, I use his power supplies in all my sidecars, racks and other DIY projects. Super friendly and very helpful.

Peace
Illumination
Old 20th August 2010
Hot
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yeah, like having thousands of posts on a website forum means anything anyway....
Old 20th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot View Post
Yeah, like having thousands of posts on a website forum means anything anyway....
I was being sarcastic, I guess some people are too serious to enjoy life
Old 21st August 2010
Hot
Here for the gear

Quote:
I was being sarcastic, I guess some people are too serious to enjoy life
....and I guess some people have way too much free time (judging by post counts). fuuck
Old 21st August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot View Post
....and I guess some people have way too much free time (judging by post counts). fuuck
For some odd reason I still make the $$$, so I don't have that much free time after all heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search