The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Numark(Akai) MPC vs Real Akai MPC Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

A. Mpc 3000
b. Mpc 2000
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

A) MPC 2000
b) MPC 3000

You can hear the more midforward of file A and the bigger bottom end in file B.

This was from listening through the iphone headphones on my laptop
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

They both sound good. Which 1 has a better workflow for you? You should use that one.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
They both sound good. Which 1 has a better workflow for you? You should use that one.
exactly!
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Freeze View Post
All 3 sources were sampled SPDIF in and matched for peak gain so the outputs are virtually identical.
You should have sampled thru analog a/d. that's the true sound of the units. spdif bypasses the "magic" of the the analog converters inherent to each units different electronics.
Old 23rd March 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by excLOUsiv View Post
Yeah they all have a slightly different sound character as well. That also comes into play, somewhat, as a preference choice as well as features.

I find that the older MPC's do add a bit of color/character, the newer MPC's are pretty transparent.

I Agree Totally!

The color can be a good thing. I think Most of us like seasoning on our food.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

i mean the 2000/2500 etc has a flavor too...just because you don't particularly like it doesn't mean that someone else doesn't....i personally like both flavors, but again, I own a 60 because that's what I could afford at the time and now i'm so used to the workflow on it the only I think is better, for ME is a 3000, only because it's faster and has a filter/scsi/etc but same workflow...that being said i'm not selling my 60 any time soon, but not because it's got some magic swing or amazing thump or whatever people may try to hype up about it...I keep it because it works and I'm used to it.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
That was not the point of the test..I wanted to see if anybody could distinguish which file came from which machine based solely on the sound. Nothing in my original post favored either machine or prompted for opinions on the matter.

I know which machine(s) I favor and why..but that is no more relevant than the other 20+ opinion based posts that constitute page 1 of this topic. Nobody is right..and nobody is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by populardemand View Post
You should have sampled thru analog a/d. that's the true sound of the units. spdif bypasses the "magic" of the the analog converters inherent to each units different electronics.
Great..then I'm sure you'll be more than willing to go ahead and actually do what you recommend...right? What about the D/A's that feed the analog outputs..are they of no importance?

Thank you to the 2 cats that actually took time to listen to the audio files and reply.

Test Ref A = MPC3000
Test Ref B = MPC2000
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Freeze View Post
That was not the point of the test..I wanted to see if anybody could distinguish which file came from which machine based solely on the sound. Nothing in my original post favored either machine or prompted for opinions on the matter.

I know which machine(s) I favor and why..but that is no more relevant than the other 20+ opinion based posts that constitute page 1 of this topic. Nobody is right..and nobody is wrong.

Great..then I'm sure you'll be more than willing to go ahead and actually do what you recommend...right? What about the D/A's that feed the analog outputs..are they of no importance?

Thank you to the 2 cats that actually took time to listen to the audio files and reply.

Test Ref A = MPC3000
Test Ref B = MPC2000
Nice. I got em right. The MPC 2000 has a more open and modern color than the MPC 3000. I like it better than the MPC 3000. It's a little too oldskool.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

I actually like the 2k better also.
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

And the other type of people that come here are the ones who bring a seven year old thread back to life with absolutely no new info what so ever.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search