The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sm7 the legend
Old 8th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Neve 1084... Bruce Swedien... 1/2" 2 track.... Bernie Grundman...
Wasn't most of thriller tracked through the pre's on a Harrison console? Or was that just used for mixdown? Bruce did a Q & A on here, I guess just refer to that. The SM7B is definitely no slouch. It can get kind of muddy if your stacking, but than again that also depends on the pre and rest of your chain. Great for hiphop as well.
Old 8th April 2010 | Show parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnievoice View Post
Wasn't most of thriller tracked through the pre's on a Harrison console? Or was that just used for mixdown? Bruce did a Q & A on here, I guess just refer to that. The SM7B is definitely no slouch. It can get kind of muddy if your stacking, but than again that also depends on the pre and rest of your chain. Great for hiphop as well.
Bruce would travel with his pair of 1084's (which he still has today). The record was mixed on the Harrison.
Old 10th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Just bought myself another one. This time I'll use it.
Old 10th April 2010 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin James View Post
Just bought myself another one. This time I'll use it.
Seriously? Are you buying an MA5 again?
Old 27th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear
ok maybe i'll try one.

questions: is there a more 'desirable' incarnation of the SM7 or do they all basically sound the same?

if we have an RE20 here, is that the ballpark or is SM7 different enough to warrant buying one? thanks.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
ok maybe i'll try one.

questions: is there a more 'desirable' incarnation of the SM7 or do they all basically sound the same?

if we have an RE20 here, is that the ballpark or is SM7 different enough to warrant buying one? thanks.
The sm7 is certainly similAr in type of mic to a RE20 but at the price the sm7 sells for it's Always a great tool to have I like it on electric guitars and heeVy metal screamer type of vox
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
The sm7 is certainly similAr in type of mic to a RE20 but at the price the sm7 sells for it's Always a great tool to have I like it on electric guitars and beVy metal screamer type of vox
thanks mdjice. any difference between original SM7 and SM7b?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
thanks mdjice. any difference between original SM7 and SM7b?
If I'm not mistaking the Sm7 is the old one but I can't recall anyone making a specific point on a big difference between the 2 versions
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
If I'm not mistaking the Sm7 is the old one but I can't recall anyone making a specific point on a big difference between the 2 versions
according to shure they are identical with the exception of the windscreen.
DONNX mentioned that he had done a shootout against the sm7 and sm7b and he said that the sm7 was a clear winner. Apparently it sounded better. I have never used the original sm7 so I wouldn't know.
Lives for gear

sm7 has "better" high end...... I would not lose too much sleep over it. They are both great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesaustin View Post
sm7 has "better" high end...... I would not lose too much sleep over it. They are both great.
What I want to know is... How much better is the sm7 to the sm7a?
Lives for gear

What I am finding in comparison to my awesome MA-200, is that the SM7B is better for the loud/singing vox. Seems to also (because of it's design) grab much less room. I am finding that it's a great match with the MA-200 and I am mixing them up on songs based on the performance required. SM7B has an upfront sound, but seems to lack fine detail that the MA-200 grabs.
Old 29th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Was in Htown and had to do a take in my hotel room : rapper M11 TRU records(M-11 SPITTA on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos , track : "break it off" ) , mic SM7B from my boy Mdjice (thks you again my friend cause needed some quite , fireface 400 , few treatment on the voice premixed in my beyer DT 990 pro , we gonna re recorded in studio , but i find this mic cool

By the way Mikael c'est quand qu'on se fait un Grec bien gras ?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityDump Records View Post
[/FONT][/COLOR]
The fact is its an ok mic nothing special. save up and get a good mic. I just bought it and was not impressed nothing special going on with it just a nice dark tone thats it.
It is not a "fact" but an opinion. Different voices suit different mics. Its a dark mic. Bruce Swedien swears by the SM7, absolutely preferred it to the Neumann for MJ's voice. Radio also loves the SM7.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
I mean lots of people have used less-than-stellar equipment on lots of things but does that mean we should all praise it and make it the be-all-end-all answer? No. Again it's a situational thing but in most situations I would not go for one and I have never seen anyone cutting "big" records go for one. Ever. And I have worked with some of the best in the business. At least on the rap/hip-hop/r&b/pop/gospel side of things. But to each his own.
If someone who has all the best mics in the world in his collection still uses an SM7b for some recordings. What does that tell you?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Was in Htown and had to do a take in my hotel room : rapper M11 TRU records(M-11 SPITTA on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos , track : "break it off" ) , mic SM7B from my boy Mdjice (thks you again my friend cause needed some quite , fireface 400 , few treatment on the voice premixed in my beyer DT 990 pro , we gonna re recorded in studio , but i find this mic cool

By the way Mikael c'est quand qu'on se fait un Grec bien gras ?
no problem you are welcome! and ...Comment je tuerais pour un grec!! lol
Old 30th April 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Why did you put it on layaway?
It should only cost about $350.00 at a reputable dealer.

Responses like this always crack me up. Lets try to expose someones economic advantage/disadvantage. Good stuff
Old 9th May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
I agree, I usually need 65 db of gain on my MA5 to make it work. Sounds great though. I can add a bit of air in the mix, a bit of 12-13k, snip snip at 120 hz (roll off) and it's good to go.
i'm picking a lot of 122 hz. I've to cut 6 to 10 db. can it be room problems or the proximity effect?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atfreddyshouse View Post
i'm picking a lot of 122 hz. I've to cut 6 to 10 db. can it be room problems or the proximity effect?
Sort of electrical hum? I noticed that with my SM57s...

p.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr View Post
Sort of electrical hum? I noticed that with my SM57s...

p.
humm don't think so...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atfreddyshouse View Post
humm don't think so...
good deal.
p.
Old 31st May 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
It is not a "fact" but an opinion. Different voices suit different mics. Its a dark mic. Bruce Swedien swears by the SM7, absolutely preferred it to the Neumann for MJ's voice. Radio also loves the SM7.
Yo I have heard some tight shyt from the sm7b and currently Im ballin on a Budget so those $10000 mics can eat pussi after it just got fked by Mr. edd lol
Old 1st June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalid,asaph View Post
Yo I have heard some tight shyt from the sm7b and currently Im ballin on a Budget so those $10000 mics can eat pussi after it just got fked by Mr. edd lol
You stay classy, San Diego...
Old 1st June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

youre talking about board preamps for your mic and trying to achieve the best possible signal chain. why not go with an external pre, and go line in to your board? just a thought :D

oh and,

sm7 vs re20 go.
Old 9th July 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Just read this thread before posting another SM7b thread. Thanks people.

Gonna get one because it suits my vocalist and it sounds pretty good on my voice too.

Thanks for the input and advice people. Now I'm off to spend my money.
📝 Reply