The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Asr-x vs. Asr-xpro vs. Asr-10
Old 17th July 2014
Gear Maniac

The ASR-X uses DOS format.
The ASR-10 can not read DOS format disks
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

ah well, I thought that might be the case. Still I'm going to pick up the ASR-X with over 200 floppies for $235 shipped, which seems like a decent price. Should be a nice companion to the 10.
Old 21st July 2014
SEED78
a lot of people argue this point - but from several people I know who have owned both, the ASR10 sounds better than the ASRx. I'm not saying the ASRX sounds bad, it just doesn't sound the same as a ASR10 thats all.

its also got a great keyboard with aftertouch.

I have the rack version, it the deepest sampler I own, the synthesis options are something I'm looking forward to experiencing on a rainy day.
Old 21st July 2014
mp3
Lives for gear

SEED78, what's your opinion of the ASR-X sound?
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

"Better" is subjective when it comes to these two machines. The 10 has a dirtier sound than the X. The X is just slightly less dirty.
Old 21st July 2014
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
SEED78, what's your opinion of the ASR-X sound?
Blows....

No seriously its fine. .
Old 22nd July 2014
mp3
Lives for gear

Oh I was just wondering if you had ever used one before.
Old 23rd July 2014
SEED78
Quote:
Oh I was just wondering if you had ever used one before.
to rise to the bait, yes. stuck with MPC3000 and ASR10 combo instead.
Old 4th November 2017
does someone have ASR-X reference manual (the long one, not the short 30-pages 'guide')?
and wants to share it?

i'm searching for hours, either i'm blind or its just not there.

asr-x PRO reference manual can be downloaded tho...
but i'm particularly interested in non-pro (black box) midi implementation chart. maybe it's not the same.

if someone would send me screenshot of midi chart, i'd appreciate it!
Old 30th November 2017
bump to my previous question.

i'm searching for asr-x midi implementation, in particular does it receive poly aftertouch.
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog greg View Post
bump to my previous question.

i'm searching for asr-x midi implementation, in particular does it receive poly aftertouch.
Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Asr-x vs. Asr-xpro vs. Asr-10-wp_20171202_001.jpg   Asr-x vs. Asr-xpro vs. Asr-10-wp_20171202_002.jpg   Asr-x vs. Asr-xpro vs. Asr-10-wp_20171202_003.jpg   Asr-x vs. Asr-xpro vs. Asr-10-wp_20171202_004.jpg   Asr-x vs. Asr-xpro vs. Asr-10-wp_20171202_006.jpg  

Asr-x vs. Asr-xpro vs. Asr-10-wp_20171202_005.jpg  
Old 3rd December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUEY View Post
Here you go.

Huey thank you very much!
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
to rise to the bait, yes. stuck with MPC3000 and ASR10 combo instead.
Killer combo! You still running the 2 now?
Old 14th December 2017
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Killer combo! You still running the 2 now?
Hey Will - I'm still rolling with the MPC3000, ASR is gone.

ASR is too awesome for me, I like simpler pleasures, ASR is mega deep and I didn't need its synthesis features etc as I have synths already. I still think its prob the best sampler ever made in both sound and features, and if I ever needed another one I'd get it. I just make what I need quicker with most of my focus on the 3000.

I also moved to a smaller studio space where 3/4 samplers was excessive- not to mention barely having the time to use 1 of them these days. I've trimmed away a lot of my studio, and happier for it.

I did get a sp1200 finally 8 months ago, not even turned it on once yet!!!
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Will - I'm still rolling with the MPC3000, ASR is gone.

ASR is too awesome for me, I like simpler pleasures, ASR is mega deep and I didn't need its synthesis features etc as I have synths already. I still think its prob the best sampler ever made in both sound and features, and if I ever needed another one I'd get it. I just make what I need quicker with most of my focus on the 3000.

I also moved to a smaller studio space where 3/4 samplers was excessive- not to mention barely having the time to use 1 of them these days. I've trimmed away a lot of my studio, and happier for it.

I did get a sp1200 finally 8 months ago, not even turned it on once yet!!!
Eight months and not touched the SP1200 once....... you should be punished, lol.

I had a Mirage, then EPS, then EPS 16 plus, then 2 ASR 10's and later scaled down to an ASR 10 rack with an ASR X and ASR X Pro. I controlled the rack from my MPC 4000. Sold them a while ago, I'm mostly in the box now. I'm waiting for the MPC X reports to start coming in (I always ran SMPTE, gotta see how the midi does in real world use), I may grab one as the center of a hybrid production approach and picking up another ASR 10 rack as I love Ensoniq gear to this day..... still rockin my PARIS DAW here.
Old 14th December 2017
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Eight months and not touched the SP1200 once....... you should be punished, lol.

I had 2 ASR 10's and later scaled down to an ASR 10 rack. I controlled the rack from my MPC 4000. Sold them a while ago, I'm mostly in the box now. I'm waiting for the MPC X reports to start coming in, I may grab one as the center of a hybrid production approach and picking up another ASR 10 rack as I love Ensoniq gear to this day..... still rockin my PARIS DAW here.
Honestly I think if people knew how awesome the ASR10 really is it would sell for more than the mpc3000.

The 4000, again I had one and sold it when I needed money towards the deposit on my new flat. 4000 is a beast. I honestly can't imagine Akai can make anything as good as a 4000 these days. One of those with a good sound library on the internal hard drive is unbeatable. You can have a beat started before some people have their DAW loaded!

I hear Paris is awesome!
Old 14th December 2017
SEED78
And yes - I'm ashamed of the lack of sp1200 use the ghost of Paul C should come take it away from me!
Old 14th December 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Honestly I think if people knew how awesome the ASR10 really is it would sell for more than the mpc3000.
I agree it may well be the best sampler ever made, but I think reliability and usability issues prevent it from being a high dollar piece. Can't say that bothers me in any way though as most of the broken units are a reseated ribbon cable or two away from working condition. Which means lots and lots of supply on the used market for the foreseeable future for those in the know...

Having an ASR-10 is a labor of love in some ways, but if you're willing to put up with her temperament, she will reward you!
Old 14th December 2017
SEED78
Ha - ribbon cable thing is truth x10000

With a s950 it's truth x10000000+
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Having an ASR-10 is a labor of love in some ways, but if you're willing to put up with her temperament, she will reward you!
Yeah I never used the audio tracks and would use one of the older OS's and it would never crash or act up, and in the winter your studio will never be cold with an ASR 10 in it, lol. I had my studio in the garage for a time and during the cold nights I would warm my hands on the ASR 10, lol....... those were the days!

This was what I made back in 96 with an ASR 10 and a Roland D10, AKG 535EB, original Mackie 1604 and 1 Blackface ADAT. Drums were sampled from a Roland R8 mkII into the ASR 10.

Old 14th December 2017
SEED78
awesome track Will. . Love the ghettoized Art of Noise vibe

ASR love in the house

Roland R8 is sleeper too.
📝 Reply