The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dbx 160 A = dope
Old 19th January 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenNeeds View Post
I just got a DBX 160X and was wondering what everyones sweet spot for vocals was?

I know it will change with every artist I record probably on every song, but I just want to find a solid foundation to start from and tweek from that.

So what threshold and compression ratio would you recommend for rap vocals? Yes or no to the over easy?

Thanks.

(Yes I am a noob I admit it but I am here to learn.)

All this bickering and still no answer to my question :(
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
actually justice answered your question directly already. something about no rules but you'll know it in your tummy when you hear it. the bickering may now resume.

ah here it is, all the way back on page 4, 2 posts after yours

Posted by: Justice
---------------------------------------------------------------------

My bad busy working on my new project with Lyric Mitchell "Timeless" shameless PLUG PLUG PLUG

As far as EARL, It was hard enough just keeping up with the madness around that project. I get a lot of people that figured out the major part I played with that project and say how great it was, and I'm this and that...

Honestly,
i barley remembers anything..... I had a very high profile magazine ask me to go through day by day the 8 weeks of recording that went down, and as I began writing the memoirs (HAHAHAHAHAHA) it came to my attention that I had admitted to breaking countless federal and possibly international laws.

Ended up not doing the interview in order to preserve to "greatness" of the project.

But Basically to track I used a Mozart Console we had about 6 DBX 160A, we tracked to 2 inch straight from swiss and dames MPC's I remember I had to copy all the files and connect mine cause nobody had SMPTE cards and they all recorded in song mode.

We had a bunch of other stuff but your gonna have to read the book to get the real lowdown. hahahahaha

All I can say for real is when its right its right. When you get that tickling in your tummy after you play your **** back. That’s when it's right. We didn’t follow any rules, and if there were any rules in front of us, we broke them. BIG TIME!

Good times. BTW I’m really working hard to get us back in the studio again. Earl's locked up again though, but be on the look out for something soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Thanks for the words of support Benny!

My band has shared stages with people like Frank Stepanek, Sam Kiniger from Soul Live, we were like THIS close to opening for Gym Class Heroes in 2009. However time presses on.

Irregardless of who listens to or how many listens or where they come from, the Tubetech isn't the reason as Benny has so aptly pointed out.

Justice already said that he really used a 160A on dmx during his first smash hit release. This is a contextually correct answer.

Perhaps my bands music isn't anything to write about in your opinion, but that hasn't stopped countless professionals like my mastering engineer at Soundbites Dog, a good deal of gearslutz members who I won't mention or namedrop who are famous in their own regards from giving me major props for cutting that record and making it sound the way it did back in 2006.

FWIW I made that recording with less than 3K of gear and somehow it gets airplay on BBC radio, we get reviewed in nationally syndicated magazines, we have fans globally etc...Alot of them remark about how heavy the damn record is, I personally was never happy with it because of the shortcomings of the technology and my limited financial access to good gear.

Things have changed dramatically since then for me. Yet I have enjoyed some strange comforts knowing that using a 200 dollar Yamaha console helped me cut a record that would make connections with people like Philadelphia Slick, who turned out to be good friends with Storyville, who happens to work for Phillysoulman who happens to post on Gearslutz.com, small world ain't it?? (More about that cool triangle next month!)

I personally think that the Tubetech VST just isn't my cup of tea, I wasn't all that thrilled with it. Its not some magic bullet and but then ago no piece of gear is because they all have their caveats. Experience will teach you that.

I'm happy you enjoy the plugin, however you don't own the gear if you own the plugin. I thought Softube made the plugin I had no recollection of Tubetech making that particular plugin.

I only mentioned the opinion of my friend because he owns the real deal and has access to the plugin as well and wasn't impressed.

Sorry if that doesn't qualify his opinion but why I can't mention that escapes me at the moment.

In the meantime, to the OP.

Dbx and compression with hip hop vocals is standard practice round these parts. If its good enough for the Aftermath sound then it should be fine. Yes the 160A, the X, the XT they all have this or that going for or against them but there are some real gems out there in dbxville from back in the day that just add such a nice dose of flavor to the vocals, be it via actual tone or action or both.

here's an example of the dbx 163x on vocals.

signal chain was as follows:

JJ Audio Mics Mutt> Yamaha PM700>dbx 263x (modded)>dbx 163x (modded)>ART PRO VLA MKI (stock tubes)> ADA8K>RME Hammerfall HDSP.

The dbx was doing about 6 db of gain reduction, the VLA about 4 maximum.

The modded dbx 163x is much clearer than stock.

Hardware Dbx comps for the win on hip hop vocals!

Peace
Illumination
i use a 163x regularly on my vox and am very happy with it. just curious, what mods have you done and how have they benefited the unit?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Used DBX 160 X's and XT's were consistently between $75-100. Once I came in the Hip Hop Forum years ago, and told people it was good... the price shot up. And, yes... I was for the most part one of the first people to even discuss this unit on the internet for vocals. Prior to that, the opinion was that they sucked like all the other low end DBX ****.... good for kick and snare and that's it, etc

Anything over $150 is too much... The only way things will change is if you folks stop paying stupid prices for them.

They are a good compressor for certain situations. I'm not sure we really need a 5 page thread on it, though. There are other compressors that are more deserving of that kind of praise.
there's a first for everything tony! ; X
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the 163x is the "new" 160 on hiphop vox. there, i said it first!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
@ illacov

i'm also curious about the mods on ur 163 and 263. care to share?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I used to dig the 160A's. I had 3 of them and have since ditched them all.
I kind of wish I kept at least one.
They're all over this track (and the whole rest of the album).
I don't remember settings (this was over 10 years ago)
Drum loop from SP12 to 160A. Bass tracked with it.
All leads mixed with them.

Old 26th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Agreed... this is boring.

Go Vikings!
Well you have your wish. The Vikings are gone

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
Well you have your wish. The Vikings are gone
heh... I'm rooting for the Saints for sure in the Super Bowl, though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
heh... I'm rooting for the Saints for sure in the Super Bowl, though.
Booooo!!! You know Payton Manning is surgical with them passes babaay!!!heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
Booooo!!! You know Payton Manning is surgical with them passes babaay!!!heh
hmmmmmmm

Quote:
I'm educated, was a spelling bee champion,
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
hmmmmmmm
Brother, seriously, find yourself something to do, you know, like listen to Lady GaaaGooGooGaa.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Brother, seriously, find yourself something to do, you know, like listen to Lady GaaaGooGooGaa.
dude it was a joke, let's not get defensive.
Closed