The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trip-Hop from the Pros!
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Thank you for having the staying power in this day and age of You Tube. Not many people can maintain that kind of interest.
Thanks for the kind words, I'm an "old school" head in a way, over 40 and I hold on to my dear CD's and vinlys. I've lost my way in this new world order of music industry and youtube sensations so I'd rather put on an "old" band on the player and discover hidden treasures than listening to over EQ'd new stuff.
As I grew older I learned to love the "remedy music" like yours (and St. Etienne's and others). In the 90's I took music like this for granted. Now it's like an oasis.
Old 12th October 2019
Here for the gear

Hi Paul,

Long time Mocheeba fan here. I hope you are well. Thanks for posting here. This is a great thread to read. I was in Bristol when Massive Attack, Portishead, Day One, Dynamo Productions, and all the others were doing great things. It was a great city for record shops, and then there were clubs like Thekla.

I have a couple of questions if you dont mind...

For drums and strings you'd prefer to record an actual instrument - perhaps with a sample layered beneath it. How about bass guitar? Did you DI that? REDD DI's? If not I'd love to know what your approach was.

I am a bass guitarist looking to get a sampler/drum machine/controller to start making my own trip hop music. I have no idea where to begin. Which sort of leads me to my next question...

You mentioned Moog, but I didn't see it in your gear list. (Perhaps I missed it - sorry). Did you use them? Do you now? The Moog DFAM looks very interesting.

Final question - what is your favorite sampled song? Mine is 'Nobody' by Hodges James Smith and Crawford.

Thanks again for all the amazing music.

- John
Old 12th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsm View Post
Hi Paul,

Long time Mocheeba fan here. I hope you are well. Thanks for posting here. This is a great thread to read. I was in Bristol when Massive Attack, Portishead, Day One, Dynamo Productions, and all the others were doing great things. It was a great city for record shops, and then there were clubs like Thekla.

I have a couple of questions if you dont mind...

For drums and strings you'd prefer to record an actual instrument - perhaps with a sample layered beneath it. How about bass guitar? Did you DI that? REDD DI's? If not I'd love to know what your approach was.

I am a bass guitarist looking to get a sampler/drum machine/controller to start making my own trip hop music. I have no idea where to begin. Which sort of leads me to my next question...

You mentioned Moog, but I didn't see it in your gear list. (Perhaps I missed it - sorry). Did you use them? Do you now? The Moog DFAM looks very interesting.

Final question - what is your favorite sampled song? Mine is 'Nobody' by Hodges James Smith and Crawford.

Thanks again for all the amazing music.

- John
Thanks John, Yeah great time to be there!
My workflow has probably changed in many ways since I bought my church and lots of new mics and gear. My favourite D.I. is the ZOD which you order from the USA.
I program in Ableton with a Push 2 controller which is my dream set up for samples and programming.
I have many Moogs. Moog One, Model D, Dfam, Mother32, Grandmother, Minitaur
and lots of other Dave Smith and Oberheim synths. I love Tasty Chips GR1 and I have ordered the Isla 2400 and I love the Kordbot.
I have so many favourite samples. The Hercules bass line being one. Anything by the Meters really.

I have a new album under the title "Morcheeba Productions" coming out at the end of this month, check Soundcloud etc.
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
Love Gearslutz for just this:
I stumbled across a thread asking for experience with Trip-Hop production.
Low and behold, Paul Godfrey of the UK band Morcheeba chimed in.
Being a fan of their records for years, I wanted to start this thread as a way to bring our friend Paul Godfrey to speak about his studio and production experience.

My first question would be the obvious:
Morcheeba started in 1996 before the home studio revolution. As a full time professional act for over a decade, how has the technology affected your production style?
What was your first studio like and what is your current production rig?
Do you incorporate other studios, musicians, producers and engineers with your work?

Also, how have you found the best way to translate electronic records to a live performance with a band? Start with the drummer feed a midi click?
I have an artist I am struggling with getting from computer production-land to band-land...

Cheers and thanks!

Morcheeba rules. So does Portishead, massive attack, anything tricky ever did...
Old 13th October 2019
Damn this thread was a timewarp blast to the past hah. I still refer to alot of what I do as 'trip hop' cause its the only term that seems to fit it heh, Im gonna have to go annoy everybody with some now!

Gotta LOL at the guy 3 years ago that mentioned The Bug being prime material for a Trip-Hop revival.. No offense but.. Kevin aka K-MART aka The Bug, half of Techno Animal/ICE/The Sidewinder/White Viper/God/Zonal/Part time dub soundsystem for Godflesh/etc has been in this game longer than the term 'trip hop' has been heh. The moniker The Bug might even predate it..
Old 13th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paistemage View Post
Morcheeba rules. So does Portishead, massive attack, anything tricky ever did...
Thank you. Please be sure to check the new material at the end of this month. Here is a taster:

Old 13th October 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
Hey kats,
Thanks for the input and philosophical musings, but does anyone have any questions for Paul?

Cheers!
It sounds like you used Moog sounds for leads and bass duties on a lot of Morcheeba stuff. I always appreciate your drum production and how crisp your loops and drum patches sound.

Did you use analog modular drum sounds? Did you use a drum machine? Loops from samples?

Im sure its a combination but your drum mixing, tones, and execution was always top notch.

Thanks again for articulate and judicious use of the "awesome sauce" you were consuming during the creation of your exquisite hymns.

...Your songs are excellent and an inspiration to this day.
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Thank you. Please be sure to check the new material at the end of this month. Here is a taster:

Very good sounds, thank you for sharing!
Old 13th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paistemage View Post
It sounds like you used Moog sounds for leads and bass duties on a lot of Morcheeba stuff. I always appreciate your drum production and how crisp your loops and drum patches sound.

Did you use analog modular drum sounds? Did you use a drum machine? Loops from samples?

Im sure its a combination but your drum mixing, tones, and execution was always top notch.

Thanks again for articulate and judicious use of the "awesome sauce" you were consuming during the creation of your exquisite hymns.

...Your songs are excellent and an inspiration to this day.
Thanks very much. We used what ever we had to hand and what ever we could afford. Early days were Roland SH synths and a Bass Station followed by an EMS Synthi and then a Moog Voyager.

Most drum sounds were chopped up vinyl breaks, sometimes layered with tuned 808's.
I only used drum machines for effect like the CR78 etc. Unless you count the SP1200 or the MPC but I call them samplers.
Thanks for the compliments, I always took great care with the drum sounds.

Same with the songs, quality control was always something I cared deeply about.
Old 23rd October 2019
Paul congrats man, I learned so much about Morcheeba and your production style in this thread!! Working in the Reggae and Dub Scene for so long I've always knew Morcheeba but because of this thread I had to dive deeper and discovered so many details and everything so well produced! Again Congratulations for all your work!!

If you have some time, check out our work at @Fyastudio (ig) we are doing 360 video with spatial audio. Thank you so much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwFRSchhy18
Old 24th October 2019
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:

Lotta 2 buss compression, huh?
Old 24th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Lotta 2 buss compression, huh?
Lot's of sidechaining the track off the vocal.
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
i just have to say that even though trip-hop was somewhat of a british fad (as seems to be the case with their 'electronic' genres, i.e., trip-hop, drum & bass, IDM, uk garage, grime, dubstep.. etc.). I still consider it to be one of the more timeless of such genres.
r they fads tho?

from the mainstream perspective and from the lack of current popularity they can be seen as fads; but but those sub genres still exist and have artists actively making those styles, such as grime and there are derivatives of trip hop within the sp404 driven beat scene.
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by .T. View Post
I have to admit I have been looking to jump ship from hip hop. This desire has been increasing in the past few months.

Trip Hop seems to be the perfect candidate. I need to hunt down my mandalay collection again, I have really fond memories of listening to these guys some 6-7 years back. Trip hop seems to take all the creative elements from hip hop and ditch the aggressive bull**** (and add some art back into it!).

Will report back from the lab in 6 months with sweet, sombre psychadelia that doesn't brush past 80bpm.

Who's with me?
the aggressive bs is always been part of rap tho;

but far as being post hiphop; i think byron the Aquarius is just awesome

also if u want hiphop art check Griselda west side gunn keeping the art alive
Old 29th October 2019
For those that are interested the new "Morcheeba Productions" album is now available to listen to. It's on our website and all major platforms.
Old 5th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
For those that are interested the new "Morcheeba Productions" album is now available to listen to. It's on our website and all major platforms.
Badass stuff!
Stoked to hear music like this still come out!
Old 6th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
Badass stuff!
Stoked to hear music like this still come out!
Thanks Mate, appreciate it!
Old 6th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is a nice record!
Old 27th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
This is a nice record!
Thank you BezowinZ.

It was a different approach in many ways for me as I used Ableton Live a lot for the sampling, warping and programming. I loved it.

Then we tracked vocals and live instruments usually using mainly analogue gear apart from an occasional Kemper track for guitar which went into to 2 Tree Audio Branches and sounded terrific.

Vocals were recorded with Chandler Redd, Horch RM2J, Bock 251, and AEA ribbon microphones.

Mixing and mastering was hybrid with Pro Tools, a console and lots of outboard.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search