The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best vintage sounding EQ plugin that has LP+HP filter? Plugin Bundles
Old 26th December 2009
Gear addict

Best vintage sounding EQ plugin that has LP+HP filter?

I'm tired of switching between different EQ's.
I'm the type of guy who likes to have one go-to EQ that has all the features I need and one go-to compressor for vocals.
So is there a really good EQ that has all the features you'd expect from and EQ + a high and a low cut filter + that vintage sound, maybe even a good emulation of vintage gear.
the Waves SSL for example sounded great when I had a chance to use it, I just didn't like what the low-cut filter does there, it's messes up some low-mid frequencies as well and it doesn't have a high-cut filter.

thanks
Old 26th December 2009
Gear Addict

I would have said the Waves SSL. The EQ and Compressor are just awesome and I use them on all of my tracks. Have you tryed the Waves V Series EQ?

Since i bought the CLA Classic Compressor they are my go-to compressors, the best sounding plugins of the 1176, LA-2A and the LA-3A out there without a doubt! I bought them on ebay for 290 USD. I only have one UA 1176 unit so it's pretty cool to have these. Remembering the days when I was stuck to the BF76, I just couldn't get that snare to rock, but from time to time they're actually quite useful, sometimes they will sound pretty sweet on the overheads or the room tracks but that's about it for me.

The Ik Multimedias T-Racks 3 version of the Pulteq is also one of the better eq plugins.
Old 26th December 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
I would have said the Waves SSL. The EQ and Compressor are just awesome and I use them on all of my tracks. Have you tryed the Waves V Series EQ?

Since i bought the CLA Classic Compressor they are my go-to compressors, the best sounding plugins of the 1176, LA-2A and the LA-3A out there without a doubt! I bought them on ebay for 290 USD. I only have one UA 1176 unit so it's pretty cool to have these. Remembering the days when I was stuck to the BF76, I just couldn't get that snare to rock, but from time to time they're actually quite useful, sometimes they will sound pretty sweet on the overheads or the room tracks but that's about it for me.

The Ik Multimedias T-Racks 3 version of the Pulteq is also one of the better eq plugins.
Oh finally someone who has a good LA-2A plug.
Is there any chance you'll compare the Waves CLA LA-2A to the Antress Lost Angel? (download here for free Antress Modern Plugins), and post some audio clips if you can? and if you can't than just say how it sounds compared to the Waves one.
Can you do that ?
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

McDSP Filterbank
Old 26th December 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master View Post
McDSP Filterbank
forgot to mention i'm using Cubase 5 so VST only for me.
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Gabriel View Post
forgot to mention i'm using Cubase 5 so VST only for me.
hmm. TRacks?
Old 26th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Oh finally someone who has a good LA-2A plug.
Is there any chance you'll compare the Waves CLA LA-2A to the Antress Lost Angel? (download here for free Antress Modern Plugins), and post some audio clips if you can? and if you can't than just say how it sounds compared to the Waves one.
Can you do that ?
Give me a short audio clip to work with and I will do it right away here on the couch with my laptop. I'm not in the studio right now so I don't have any decent wav files to work with...
Old 26th December 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
I'm tired of switching between different EQ's.
I'm the type of guy who likes to have one go-to EQ that has all the features I need and one go-to compressor for vocals.
So is there a really good EQ that has all the features you'd expect from and EQ + a high and a low cut filter + that vintage sound, maybe even a good emulation of vintage gear.
the Waves SSL for example sounded great when I had a chance to use it, I just didn't like what the low-cut filter does there, it's messes up some low-mid frequencies as well and it doesn't have a high-cut filter.

thanks
It sounds like you want a mix of musical, surgical and vintage EQ characteristics in a single plug. If so, then that product really doesn't exist, IMO.

One suggestion, TRacks 3, is probably a good solution since you can load a couple of plugs into the shell and save them as presets. You'll have to use two GUIs and some extra processing power, but you should be able to get the job done.

Another solution might be 112dB's Redline EQ. It has some modeling engines and pretty solid frequency/Q control across the spectrum. There is a free 60 day demo, so it is worth a look.
Old 26th December 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
Give me a short audio clip to work with and I will do it right away here on the couch with my laptop. I'm not in the studio right now so I don't have any decent wav files to work with...
hey big fella. I just sent you a PM with one short audio clip in 2 versions - unprocessed and after EQ. I think the one after EQ is more important since one usually puts the comp after the eq in the mixing stage.
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master View Post
hmm. TRacks?
yep
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

For a hi-lo pass,download the Brainworx Cleansweep...its free and it works great.
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

...............Waves neve. Until I used these I never really liked the sound of plug in boosts but these are exceptionally warm and smooth, the 220 hz on it is almost addictive. i would do my cuts with something else and boost with this, far preferable to the ssl eq's in my opinion. The alarming thing is I just got myself a matched pair of 1073 style preamps with eq and the waves stuff is just as good.
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
...............Waves neve. Until I used these I never really liked the sound of plug in boosts but these are exceptionally warm and smooth, the 220 hz on it is almost addictive. i would do my cuts with something else and boost with this, far preferable to the ssl eq's in my opinion. The alarming thing is I just got myself a matched pair of 1073 style preamps with eq and the waves stuff is just as good.
Are your Waves Neve eqs noisy?
mine sure are.
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

PSP Squad Eqs.

Try the demo.
Old 26th December 2009
Gear Addict

Old 26th December 2009
URS N-Series Neve clone is my go-to. The "console" version is particularly useful; fully parametric, with a sweepable HP and LP filter.

I'm selling my native licenses (which include VST versions) for these if you're interested. PM me for details.
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
mine sure are.
........to be honest Philly hadn't really noticed, I seem to remember the v comp being a little bit noisy, though i generally use it with the analogue button at a bout 25%, however i haven't really listened to tracks with the eq soloed.....must try that.
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
PSP Squad Eqs.

Try the demo.
Yeah, these are really great and on sale this month. The classicQex is very close to the waves V series IMO. I've been doing some a/b'ing of the two, matching them on duplicate tracks. Both are really nice eq's.
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
For a hi-lo pass,download the Brainworx Cleansweep...its free and it works great.
Thanks man!

Last edited by jpupo74; 26th December 2009 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: confused
Old 26th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
mine sure are.

thats not noise, thats vintage flavor and warmth! heh
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
naw its noise LOL
i posted something the other day... here's the video's..
i took many other eq's and made them null too so i'll never invest another $1 into waves...
YouTube - SSL9000Down's Channel
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

I think you should give this puppy a try ( Electriq Q posihfopit )

AiXcoustic Creations: Electri-Q - posihfopit

The free version is really cool

the full version ( 99 $ ) seems even better

Make sure to right click and try all the different type ( like 40 of them )

There's clan, warm, dynamic, butterworth lowpass, moog lowpass etc etc.

-Alxi
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
funny
Old 28th December 2009
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

currently falling in love with nebula
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

UAD Neve 88rs Channel. All you could possibly need. Instant vibe as soon as it's inserted. High and low cut filters, parametric eq, dynamics section, phase, and the ability to change the eq and dynamics signal path. It's a bit of an initial investment, but we have been very happy since we went with the UAD DSP cards.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Don't have a number of options here, but I am totally loving the brainworx hybrid. I've never heard a plugin like this, its providing me with some interesting options and sounds.

Russell
Old 1st January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFMG View Post
UAD Neve 88rs Channel. All you could possibly need. Instant vibe as soon as it's inserted. High and low cut filters, parametric eq, dynamics section, phase, and the ability to change the eq and dynamics signal path. It's a bit of an initial investment, but we have been very happy since we went with the UAD DSP cards.
+1 on the 88rs. Really like what it's doing on my tracks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search