The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocal EQ setting recommendation (male voice) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 25th December 2009
Gear nut

Vocal EQ setting recommendation (male voice)

go head ya, what is your goto vocal EQ setting on a male voice that you try initially because it usually works the best for you?

I don't have one, but I was thinking maybe I should use some type of starting reference point.
Old 25th December 2009
Lives for gear

Then EQ your voice until it sounds good - save that setting - and slap it on your vocal on the next song you do... if you really want to go that route.

Everybody's voice is different... there's no universal EQ setting that'll work for everyone.
Old 25th December 2009
Lives for gear

There is no universal eq for anything.
Its all source dependent.
Old 25th December 2009
+5.8@1.2k.

Problems (all of em, from your bad vocal recording all the way to world hunger) solved.

Just remember to USE YOUR EARS for the Q setting. Otherwise, your **** will sound like generic ass.
Old 25th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
+5.8@1.2k.

Problems (all of em, from your bad vocal recording all the way to world hunger) solved.

Just remember to USE YOUR EARS for the Q setting. Otherwise, your **** will sound like generic ass.
Ooh yaa! papi!!!!! generic ass..ooh yaa !!!!(sounds of phony sex implied)
Old 25th December 2009
same emcee, same vocal chain, same room, different day, different EQ. makes me crazy
Old 25th December 2009
Gear nut

what if you don't know what sounds good?

everybody thinks tHEY knows what sounds good, but maybe we would all be better off with somebody else's settings like someone who knows what sounds good in da pop markit.

1 bet most ov youh don't gate the attack of your filters and link it to the compression as well to get the top-40 britney spearsz tightness in your sound, so do you really know what you're doing?

IF anyone DOES Know what sounds good: what is your standard eq setting for deep-tenor male vocal that you start out with before you begin adjusting?

there has to be a standard settings because you don't even eq that much to begin with, it's used in a very subtle way to enhance certain elements, unless you're doing a notch filter or something via eq but then you're better off with a filter anyway, basically when you use an eq to that extreme it becomes a filter, i'm talking about basic eq standard settings for a male vocals in the deep tenor range?

it's not my voice so I don't know what to set it, so hlep out you stingy christmas barstards!

buncha scrooge mcducks
Old 25th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Ooh yaa! papi!!!!! generic ass..ooh yaa !!!!(sounds of phony sex implied)
Old 25th December 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
+5.8@1.2k.

1.2 k??

are you sure? if yo0u add that much it might mek it silibint but iwill try it fo sho tanx
Old 25th December 2009
Lives for gear
You have to practice, use your ears, and trust them. One thing you "must" do is a highpass filter on your vocals around 80hzs usually. Everything else varies. Eqing isn't that hard but it can get tedious, but it's mostly fun.
Old 25th December 2009
I think people should get banned for not writing properly
Old 25th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
And that person should have a 3-4 page long thread dedicated to their banning
Old 25th December 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post

or for living in canaduh
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Addict

typical gearslutz "use your ears" bs.

It's true but not so helpful

Anyway, I'm no expert by for a male I would start by add a small bump around 350-500 for some warmth... a small bump around 1.2-1.6 to brighten a little (depending on where the guitars are sitting maybe lower)... and maybe a little bump around 7k

Then listen to that in the mix and adjust if need be

That seems to work pretty well for me on the front end, but then I might adjust a little later with a plug in once I can really listen to everything together.

I mostly don't EQ the voice drastically but try to EQ the other instruments to fit around the vocal...

anyone do anything similar??
Old 30th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne104 View Post

In fact it is - with regards to recording and mixing - the single best piece of advice ever.
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereadawtheradaw View Post
what if you don't know what sounds good?

everybody thinks tHEY knows what sounds good, but maybe we would all be better off with somebody else's settings like someone who knows what sounds good in da pop markit.

1 bet most ov youh don't gate the attack of your filters and link it to the compression as well to get the top-40 britney spearsz tightness in your sound, so do you really know what you're doing?

IF anyone DOES Know what sounds good: what is your standard eq setting for deep-tenor male vocal that you start out with before you begin adjusting?

there has to be a standard settings because you don't even eq that much to begin with, it's used in a very subtle way to enhance certain elements, unless you're doing a notch filter or something via eq but then you're better off with a filter anyway, basically when you use an eq to that extreme it becomes a filter, i'm talking about basic eq standard settings for a male vocals in the deep tenor range?

it's not my voice so I don't know what to set it, so hlep out you stingy christmas barstards!

buncha scrooge mcducks

Bro this is hard to do...It took me forever to find a setting that I liked...you just gotta play with it and remember to cut lows to make it sound clearer, too much and it will sound hella weird, but you'll be able to know when that has happen...I boost my highs to make it brighter...but not by a whole lot...I like my vocals to sound as natural as possible, then I make them sound like they are on fire or (hot)...so talk out loud, or have someone else do that and try to match that and make it your starting point...I have tons of problems with eq...but if ur source is correct, it will make ur eqing a whole lot easier as well...but assuming that you dont have all the tools to do that just yet, then follow those lil tips...they worked for me...
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

it all depends on the voice, room, mic & pre, but GENERALLY.....low cut at 80-100Hz, high shelf boost from 2k, maybe a (high Q) peak at 11-13k and perhaps a small dip (low Q) around 150-250 Hz.
There...generic-ass settings. Cosmetic EQ.
Old 1st January 2010
Gear interested

best i can tell ya

well, everyone here understands that your looking to make your vocals good enough for a mixtape, but you didn't state what equipment your using....crappy mic and pre+alot of mixing= crappy mixtape

i say buy better equipment $1000 pre amp, $1000 mic, $1000 nice converters and compressor and you'll have a tight mixtape....the music game is all built on how much you really trying to spend anyways so....if you like mixing session once you buy better $hit you'll really love making tracks
Old 11th January 2013
Gear interested

"i say buy better equipment $1000 pre amp, $1000 mic, $1000 nice converters and compressor and you'll have a tight mixtape"

I disagree. If that were true, we'd spend more time working to buy new gear and less time researching on gearslutz...
Old 11th January 2013
Gear Head

would somebody just answer the mans damn question with specific settings... if you have no clue how to eq then save the use your ears and depends on the gear bs... just give the settings and he can tweak from there..jesus you can never get a real answer on this forum... he didnt ask if he should use his ears or if his gear was up 2 snuff!!!
Old 11th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmJaidon View Post
would somebody just answer the mans damn question with specific settings... if you have no clue how to eq then save the use your ears and depends on the gear bs... just give the settings and he can tweak from there..jesus you can never get a real answer on this forum... he didnt ask if he should use his ears or if his gear was up 2 snuff!!!
Okay fine. I will put this old thread to bed.

Old 11th January 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by payne104 View Post

Anyway, I'm no expert by for a male I would start by add a small bump around 350-500 for some warmth... a small bump around 1.2-1.6 to brighten a little (depending on where the guitars are sitting maybe lower)... and maybe a little bump around 7k
How can you (or anybody) give specifics like that? The main reason why people say "use your ears" is because the sound that comes out varies GREATLY from mic to mic, preamp to preamp, studio to studio, etc. Some will need boosts in some areas, some will need cuts in the those areas.

Some vocals come out near perfect and I don't have to EQ much when I mix them. Adding a small bump around 350-500 would destroy the mix. Actually, if i followed your suggestion on some of the vocals I have right now, it would make them sound much worse than what I got them with no processing at all, but with other's they may sound great.

Many of the vocals I get actually need 3-6db cut from 250-500...

The biggest mistake I made when I started mixing was taking advice like "boost ___hz, cut ___hz".
Old 11th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmJaidon View Post
You have absolutely no idea how to produce, record, mix, or make records, in any capacity, at all, under any circumstances, do you? "Just give the settings"? Please.

There is no silver bullet, chief. No magic settings. EVERYTHING is entirely dependent on context. THAT is the lesson here.

Jesus. This generation is so screwed, so entitled, so hell-bent on instant gratification, it's just pathetic. Take some time to learn your craft, enjoy the process, learn something. It's very gratifying, I promise. That is, at least, if you actually give the slightest damn about actually making music at all.
Old 11th January 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch View Post
You have absolutely no idea how to produce, record, mix, or make records, in any capacity, at all, under any circumstances, do you? "Just give the settings"? Please.

There is no silver bullet, chief. No magic settings. EVERYTHING is entirely dependent on context. THAT is the lesson here.

Jesus. This generation is so screwed, so entitled, so hell-bent on instant gratification, it's just pathetic. Take some time to learn your craft, enjoy the process, learn something. It's very gratifying, I promise. That is, at least, if you actually give the slightest damn about actually making music at all.
+1 for one of the most brutally honest rebuttals I've seen on these forums.

It really isn't too hard to learn how to EQ - boost in each of the 4 general bands and sweep around till you find something you like or hate. Maximize it or minimize that facet of the sound. Massage, rinse and repeat. Eventually, you'll figure out where to start out to get what you want.

There is no silver bullet - either your ears like it or they don't.
Old 11th January 2013
Gear nut

Hey man. I think that "specific settings" won't really work on every song because your musical arrangement will need to be accounted for and balanced against differently every time you know?

That said, if you want a good starting point, I tend to high pass around 100, cut a bit of around 370ish, add a bump at maybe 1-2k and a little bump at maybe 9 or 12k for sparkle and low pass above that maybe. Some mics need a high shelf. That's where I start and push it so it FEELS good.

Using the waves CLA and Maserati vocal plugins are another good way to get a vocal on its feet quickly and I find myself using them often too, even just for playback for the artist/manager/ A&R etc at the end of a session.
Old 11th January 2013
Gear Head

Wow entertaining thread. Lets not get too heated up here guys, lets also not disrespect those that have experience and are masters of their craft.

I second the comment use your ears, because every song has a different voice, mic, preamp, selection of instruments, etc. So how can there be one general setting for all? So use your ears to adjust.

At the same time, the less experienced sometimes dont have the ears, or dont know how to listen to certain frequencies, nor have proper judgement on what sounds better.

My tips are to make sure your vocals are recorded with a good clean neutral mic, then play with the eq so that it sounds as true as possible, and fits in the song nicely. It shouldnt be too thin and tinny, nor too thick and muddy. It should be clear and and balanced.
Old 11th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:

LOL, well said, sir.
Old 11th January 2013
Gear interested

I don't have a on board eq. What would be a good plug in for eqing?
Old 11th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:

As a matter of fact i own my own sample/loop company that has by far been the most succesful in sales per product in the urban hip hop genre for the last two years. All products produced/mixed/mastered by me so facepalm that.
When your done facepalming that.... give the man some damn settings like i said. Or keep your narrow minded comments to yourself.
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by epjl2000 View Post
At the same time, the less experienced sometimes dont have the ears, or dont know how to listen to certain frequencies, nor have proper judgement on what sounds better.
This goes absolutely to the heart of the matter. Of course people should listen and trust their ears, but the real question is - how do you train your ears to recognise what they're hearing?

The answer to that lies, at least in part, in this post:

Originally posted by NickNagurka
"It really isn't too hard to learn how to EQ - boost in each of the 4 general bands and sweep around till you find something you like or hate. Maximize it or minimize that facet of the sound. Massage."

To the OP: that IMHO, is the best piece of advice on this thread, and far better than any generic settings you may be seeking.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search