The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
s950 vs. s900
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

s950 vs. s900

What is the pros and cons of these 2 units. And to use this unit for its sound with drums? Would you use it as a drum sound module and use the MPC or a DAW for the sequencer and then record the Drums into the DAW?
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
What is the pros and cons of these 2 units. And to use this unit for its sound with drums? Would you use it as a drum sound module and use the MPC or a DAW for the sequencer and then record the Drums into the DAW?

PRO 900: optional trigger inputs so it can act as an trigger to midi interface

PRO 950: more memory, optional SCSI interface,

although the 950 can sample at a higher samplingrate I find the sound differences minimal.

Remember that these machines are old and if something is wrong it is not that easy to get parts that fit.

IMO they both sound great no matter if its drums or melody samples or basslines.

peace
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Id like to do most of my sequencing in FL studi because the midi editing capabilities are the best I used. I have a MPC1000 which I use as a midi controller most the time. What is the best way to incorporate the s900 with my workflow?
Old 13th December 2009
Gear Maniac

There is no bennefit to getting an s900 over the s950.

get an s950. no need to take the 12 bit samples from the s950 and dump them into a 16 bit mpc or other daw.

my favorite sampler easy.
Old 13th December 2009
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Id like to do most of my sequencing in FL studi because the midi editing capabilities are the best I used. I have a MPC1000 which I use as a midi controller most the time. What is the best way to incorporate the s900 with my workflow?
I d personally triiger s950 from the MP.
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsuthaironchef View Post
There is no bennefit to getting an s900 over the s950.

get an s950. no need to take the 12 bit samples from the s950 and dump them into a 16 bit mpc or other daw.

my favorite sampler easy.
Yes there is its cheaper. So if there are no cons then I should get the s900
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Depends on the point of view. With the 900 you'll need DD floppydisks. These are really rare now and expensive. The s950 can handle HD floppydisks and you can get them cheap and new on ebay.
The fact that the HD disks can hold 1,6MB and the DD only hold 0,8MB make this even clearer.

peace
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
less memory too
Old 15th December 2009
Here for the gear

S900

Both the S900 & S950 have clunky interfaces which make them somewhat of a pain to integrate, unless you're already very familiar with them.

I have an S900 that I simply use to bounce sounds to and from. Gritty up your breaks, piano chops, etc. Sounds with natural reverbs on them work especially well. Its almost like adding a layer of smoke to the track.
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Head

Besides half memory and use of Double Density floppies only, the s900 lacks also time stretch and if I am not mistaken, variable sampling rate.

Over all, the only good thing about the s900 is the average half price from the s950 and that it is actually easier to locate a replacement floppy drive for it than for the 950.

Anyhow, go for the s950. After the MPC60, it is the easiest thing to work with.
Old 15th December 2009
Here for the gear

S900

The S900 does, in fact, have variable sampling rates.
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

for whatever it's worth, DJ Premiere told me he used the 950.
Old 16th December 2009
Lives for gear

So could I sequence my drums midi in the MPC 1000 while using the 950 as my drum sound module for the drum grit. But sequence my keyboard tracks in FL studio and have it all in time? Then I could rewire FL into a DAW and bounce all audio into Sonar,reaper or PT.
IS this Possiable?

Does anyone know how to bounce drums done in FL STUDIO thru the s950 back into FL in the easiest way?
Old 1st March 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshkils View Post
The S900 does, in fact, have variable sampling rates.
does anyone know if this is true and how to do it if it is?
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbatron View Post
does anyone know if this is true and how to do it if it is?
It does.

It will prompt you for the sample rate every time you sample.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

- both time consuming to work with.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
- both time consuming to work with.
Not really once you know them. Same as any other sampler.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear
Anything changed? S900 or S950? Dilemmas...
Old 17th May 2019
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
Anything changed? S900 or S950? Dilemmas...
Start with the cheaper, dump it if it does not fit, try the more expensive. Rinse and repeat.
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

There's a little VST plug that emulates the 950 which is actually fairly decent (RX950). Worth trying.
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Head

I have the mp60 of which is said it uses the s900 sampling engine. I also had the s950. Sampling is a bit different with s950 sounding more hifi. And the mpc60 making samples.. Hip-hop and fat.
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Mpc60 and 900 series are notvsame sampling engine. There are sonic differences.

Miss my 950 for its fat sound....don’t miss having a giant vcr unit taking up space, def don’t miss the interface which is no fun to use. I can’t use rack samplers in 2019, it’s a hassle. Imo the better you get at mixing you can make samples sound better w outboard gear and clever eq work as opposed to relying on 1 sampler to aid your sound.

The 900 doesn’t have a lp filter, right?
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

I honestly think the S1000 is the better sampler. digital non-resonant filter, but everything sounds amazing through it. I'm probably in the minority, but I also sample everything in stereo, so that's kind of essential for me.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

The S900 is better for drums and basses. It sounds more precise/defined, the S950 is a little more jittery. The difference in sample rate itself is meaningless from a practical standpoint.

The trigger interface is useless, timing is worse than via MIDI, and it actually is serial just like MIDI.

The S950 can save to HD disks, a big plus. The built in OS supports a filter envelope (the actual filter hardware is the same on both, analog switched-capacistance filters, no resonance).

Both transpose via changing the individual voices DACs sampling frequency. Sounds much better than algorithmic transposition.

The S1000 sounds great, but totally different.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search