The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Marco Polo - what beats equipment used? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Marco Polo - what beats equipment used?

That "Double Barrel" (Marco Polo & Torae) LP is amazing. I like the way it's mixed and the basslines are dope. Anyone knows what equipment was used to produce it?

YouTube - Marco Polo & Torae - Lifetime ft. Dj Revolution
YouTube - Marco Polo And Torae - Crashing Down Feat Saukrates And S-Roc
YouTube - Marco Polo & Torae - Danger
YouTube - Marco Polo & Torae "Double Barrel" Music Video
YouTube - Torae & Marco Polo - Get It
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

In his beat making video he used the akai mpc 2000xl and reason
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

he uses dope ass records to sample off, and his talent / view on what hip hop should sound like.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yea I dunno why folks think it's the gear. You can do what he is doing on any modern equipment/software.

It's just the essence of WHAT he is doing, and the sounds he is using.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

I understand that he is talented. But I really enjoy his drums and basslines.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Sample good drum sounds.

Bass? All of those pete rock/kev brown style bass sounds can be had easily. Sample some notes off a bass guitar with the highs rolled off. Once inside your sampler, use a low pass filter and a little resonance.
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Addict

stop asking about gear like this is what made those beats.
marco polo would make the same beats with any type of equipment/software YOU HAVE.
I can understand how one could ask about a synth sound or whatever, but these are samples based beats we're talking about. it's pure creativity.
What's gear got to to with it?!
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 View Post
Sample good drum sounds.

Bass? All of those pete rock/kev brown style bass sounds can be had easily. Sample some notes off a bass guitar with the highs rolled off. Once inside your sampler, use a low pass filter and a little resonance.
Thanks Jae. Right now I'm at the point of spending my money for a good bass source...I'm a bit torn between a hardware synth (SE1, Little Phatty), soft (Trilogy, Trilian, Arturia Minimoog) and thinking about a bass guitar. But - I can't play. I know I need just a few notes for those classic hip hop basses but I'm still not sure about it. Damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Gabriel View Post
stop asking about gear like this is what made those beats.
marco polo would make the same beats with any type of equipment/software YOU HAVE.
I can understand how one could ask about a synth sound or whatever, but these are samples based beats we're talking about. it's pure creativity.
What's gear got to to with it?!
OK, so it's ALL sampled? No bass guitar?
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-cd View Post
Thanks Jae. Right now I'm at the point of spending my money for a good bass source...I'm a bit torn between a hardware synth (SE1, Little Phatty), soft (Trilogy, Trilian, Arturia Minimoog) and thinking about a bass guitar. But - I can't play. I know I need just a few notes for those classic hip hop basses but I'm still not sure about it. Damn.

I recommend the Se1, Korg MicroKorg,Trillian, Sub BoomBass and a ibanez bass guitar.

In reality i'd get Trillian, Sub boom bass and a guitar then go from there.
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:

I don't know, lets say it's a bass guitar, will it help you if i gave you the exact model of that guitar?? I mean, come on!

BTW, trilogy will do JUST FINE for that purpose.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know, lets say it's a bass guitar, will it help you if i gave you the exact model of that guitar?? I mean, come on!
Is it a hip hop bass guitar?
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
Is it a hip hop bass guitar?
Oh man, please... I just ask.

Guy Gabriel I understand what you say but I'm just curious if it is a guitar or it's sampled - I do not ask about an exact model or whatever.
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Oh man, please... I just ask.
he's just kidding. but really man, don't rely too much on gear, use your talent and creativity and get the best out of your equipment.
There are millions of guys who have MPC's but there's only one Premo, one Pete Rock, one Marco Polo. you feel me?
And for those type of beats i think you'll do fine with Trilogy, it can sound like a real bass especially for those beats where the bassline is really simple and high cutted anyway
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
he's just kidding. but really man, don't rely too much on gear, use your talent and creativity and get the best out of your equipment.
There are millions of guys who have MPC's but there's only one Premo, one Pete Rock, one Marco Polo. you feel me?
And for those type of beats i think you'll do fine with Trilogy, it can sound like a real bass especially for those beats where the bassline is really simple and high cutted anyway
Yes, I feel you. It's just not like I don't have money for a bass source and I ask because I have a GAS syndrome...I just wanted to buy a bass "source" next month anyway and since Jae wrote about a bass guitar I asked myself "why not?". Why use something that would sound right after tweaking it (Trilogy) if I could use a real thing? Still - I appreciate you opinions. (And I don't know sht about the guitars).
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

You don't even need trilogy.

You just need any common bass like a fender P or J, roll off the highs, low pass the hell out of it.

I do it all the time.

I have a couple cheap basses from rondomusic. A P copy and a Jazz copy. I have flat wound strings on both of them. I run them into sansamp vt bass pedal and sample straight into my mpc, sp1200, s950, logic, whatever. Sometimes I sample notes, and at other times I play the bassline. The logic FET bass compressor preset is real dope. Sometimes I'll process the wav thru that before I load it on my MPC.

Watch these beat vids from Kev Brown:
KeV Br0wN: Unedited beat vid...

Kev Brown shows it's not some magical bass patch. It's just a single note from a bass guitar.

I used to think I needed my synth for these duties too (I used to combine saws and triangles with low passes in synths) but trust me, it's easier than that.

Bass guitar.
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes, I feel you. It's just not like I don't have money for a bass source and I ask because I have a GAS syndrome...I just wanted to buy a bass "source" next month anyway and since Jae wrote about a bass guitar I asked myself "why not?". Why use something that would sound right after tweaking it (Trilogy) if I could use a real thing? Still - I appreciate you opinions. (And I don't know sht about the guitars).
NO! the tweaking is neccecery with a real bass guitar also because to get that sound they filter out all of the high frequencies which a real bass guitar has as much as Trilogy has. anyway, can't go wrong with trilogy in my opinion. just can't go wrong.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

sd-cd...videos or Marco.

See man, he doesn't have much at all.

"we got another room with a bunch of 808s but I can't show you that"...haha...clownin'
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks Jae, thanks Guy, thank you guys. I REALLY appreciate your opinions. Will read this thread again tomorrow and think if I would be buying anything
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

BTW, trilogy will do JUST FINE for that purpose.

Of course it will help wat'd u think lol

Ibanez is good in the hiphop/r&b reigion as also Fender P

I coulda just said get a bass guitar but from past experience i find Ibanez to be kool hence why i recommended it.

If i told u wats better out of a $145 bass compared to a $1200 bass ?

Well you think!
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Why we talking Trilogy when Trillian is the big boy!
Old 30th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
Why we talking Trilogy when Trillian is the big boy!
Because for such a simple purpose Trillian is overkill.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks guys.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
geez.Marco Polo bust have been one bad mother****er if he was able to make beats while navigating the terrain of the Mongol Empire in the 13th century especially while inventing spaghetti!!
Madd props,yo!!..those mother****ers in Acre had some madd skillz!!
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
geez.Marco Polo bust have been one bad mother****er if he was able to make beats while navigating the terrain of the Mongol Empire in the 13th century especially while inventing spaghetti!!
Madd props,yo!!..those mother****ers in Acre had some madd skillz!!
while also inventing one of the most successful swimming pool games of all time
Old 30th November 2009
wreckingstuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 View Post
sd-cd...videos or Marco.

See man, he doesn't have much at all.

"we got another room with a bunch of 808s but I can't show you that"...haha...clownin'
Cool. Interesting to see him using that mpd 24 like that, seemingly untroubled by it's ****/wack/duff pad action
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Cool.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Nice Vids.

I realy like was he does.

You got to admire that creativity and the result he gets.

-Alxi
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
while also inventing one of the most successful swimming pool games of all time
..and a bad ass cologne..in several scents no less.
They really needed it on those long,long days and nights without running bathwater.....
I do believe that he invented funk
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
..and a bad ass cologne..in several scents no less.
They really needed it on those long,long days and nights without running bathwater.....
I do believe that he invented funk
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
...and dont forget about that baseball field in Brooklyn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search