The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Microphone Effects HELP!!!!!! Condenser Microphones
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Nut

I directed that toward Minor Glitch. Im not stupid,trust me I know when to take criticism.The only thing I said back to phillysoufman was "I may of spelled two words wrong tops" and "Do yo have AIM(Aol Instant Messanger). I never thought for a second to start any trouble, but alot of people replied with blatant remarks about my mixing expirience, with no intention to help. If I did insult phillysoufman(which I dont believe I did) then I'd be the first to apologize.In any case, im sorry.
Old 27th November 2009
wreckingstuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
I'd say sure, except that Phillysoulman - one of the guys you were pretty disrespectful to on this thread is the owner of the studio that I work for.

I teach recording seminars from time to time, so I'm pretty used to hearing questions that aren't quite phrased in common engineering lingo - so I was able to follow what you were asking. But your terminology is a little off base, and that's why people are getting confused.

Unfortunately, without an apology, I wouldn't take you on as a client - because saying things like "my little sister could do a mix," is brutally insulting.

Honestly, in the four years of being on this forum, and the 1,500+ posts, not to mention my little fiasco with a guy named "Tha Wiizard" I don't think I've ever felt personally insulted. Until this thread. I was so shocked that you could disrespect so many people who were only trying to offer you good advice that I deleted my post because I didn't feel that you deserved the help.

I'm about the easiest going guy in the world, and I know your intent isn't to be pissing people off. But I love mixing, and I've worked for years learning how to do it. It's 3am on Thanksgiving, and I'm printing stems for God's sake. If you want my help, I'm more than willing, but you gotta check the ego at the door.
You are demonstrating incredible patience and kindness here, in the face of this guy being a relentless bellend. Wow.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Cool. I can dig it. Besides, who's to say your lil' sis isn't a talent on the boards! Well, re-Welcome to Gearslutz.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingstuff View Post
You are demonstrating incredible patience and kindness here, in the face of this guy being a relentless bellend. Wow.
I understand what it's like trying to figure out this very confusing world of audio. I find something every day that I know nothing about. For example - I don't know what K Stereo is. There was a point when I did know what compression was. It's frustrating - especially when people can't figure out what you are trying to ask. And GS people can appear to be on the offensive even when we're not. So I get it.

If it wasn't almost 4am, and if my PT system didn't crash twenty minutes ago, I probably would have let the little sister thing go.
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Nut

Did you already hear the music though storyville? If not...
Jae on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you actualy read what I was saying, I simply asked what people THOUGHT it was Jay-Z was using effect wise through his mic.
A Mic to a Preamp to a ( sometimes ) Compressor to Tape or a DAW

That´s it.
Skip the podfarm and record dry insted , and fix the sound in the mix insted.

Quote:
My little sister could make a mix. When I record i usually record two main vocal tracks pan them left and right,add Track EQ(to mess with later) effect to whatever instrumental,add compression and then EQ afterwards.
Really , well maybe you should let her mix your songs then.
And recording a left vocal and a right vocal channel leaves the center pretty empty doesn´t it ?
I Listened quikly to your tracks and they were OK , but i think you need to work more on your songwriting , focusing on the lyrics , when and were to do adds , doubled your vocals tight and doing hooks that works with the song.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

wow......just wow....
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ah, now I see.

Ok, here's your issues with the voice - the compression is working just right. The eq could give your voice just a nudge more presence. Just enough to move the vocals forward in the mix some. Weirdly enough, your kick drums are throwing off the depth in your mix - they're so forward, it's forcing the vocals back a little. Lastly (or firstly) the mic you are tracking on seems to be a little thin and has some brassy mid-range distortion. It could be a number of things: cheap mic, comb filtering (I think this is the main problem), or perhaps that's from the blues vocal preset. It's also not giving you much love in the low mids. I would say, notch your vocals up like half a db to a db. Just a tiny lift. Run them through an eq and find the sweet spot between 1.5-3.5k that seems to make your voice pop and give that 1 or 2 db. See what that does for ya.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

I think y'all missed what JaeAudio was trying to ask.
and I think you pounced on him because of what he's doing to make his rap records and wanting to emulate Jay-Z and nas (I'm afraid I have no idea who they are) so I can't really comment on what "vocal chain" these persons use when they talk...again I'm not real familiar with rap that much....but it's talking with a automated beat right?
So I can't be of any help there either...and I forget...was a sample provided?...maybe someone could hear something that they recognize..
I think part of the angst here is that many of the young people today are buying these all in one recording set ups with USB mics and iPod connections and docking stations with really neat looking graphics that look like Guitar Hero and you pick your effects like....underwater or bathroom or tupelo honey+sana moikca el diego or something like that from a pull down menu and move a few knobs around with your MacBook Air mouse and hey away you go....
And there's no doubt in my mind that a little sister either JaeAudio's or someone elses little sister or little brother even could play with that all day long and have fun mixing and matching interesting sounds for hours on end and probably get a cool sound and get pretty good at it....
The only advice I have is you should all really stay in school and get an education so you can have a real job that pays real money so you can continue to afford to play games on your computers and listen to music on your iPod and jam and play Guitar Hero after work with your buddies when your parents run out of money and stop giving you money to sit around all day playng video games and think you will be an American Idol someday or a gangsta rapper in NYC or maybe Miami....
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
I think y'all missed what JaeAudio was trying to ask.
and I think you pounced on him because of what he's doing to make his rap records and wanting to emulate Jay-Z and nas (I'm afraid I have no idea who they are) so I can't really comment on what "vocal chain" these persons use when they talk...again I'm not real familiar with rap that much....but it's talking with a automated beat right?
So I can't be of any help there either...and I forget...was a sample provided?...maybe someone could hear something that they recognize..
I think part of the angst here is that many of the young people today are buying these all in one recording set ups with USB mics and iPod connections and docking stations with really neat looking graphics that look like Guitar Hero and you pick your effects like....underwater or bathroom or tupelo honey+sana moikca el diego or something like that from a pull down menu and move a few knobs around with your MacBook Air mouse and hey away you go....
And there's no doubt in my mind that a little sister either JaeAudio's or someone elses little sister or little brother even could play with that all day long and have fun mixing and matching interesting sounds for hours on end and probably get a cool sound and get pretty good at it....
The only advice I have is you should all really stay in school and get an education so you can have a real job that pays real money so you can continue to afford to play games on your computers and listen to music on your iPod and jam and play Guitar Hero after work with your buddies when your parents run out of money and stop giving you money to sit around all day playng video games and think you will be an American Idol someday or a gangsta rapper in NYC or maybe Miami....
huh?
you speak of "gangsta rapper", but don't know Jay-Z or Nas? I smell dookie shoot!
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master View Post
huh?
you speak of "gangsta rapper", but don't know Jay-Z or Nas? I smell dookie shoot!
I'm sorry...I'm not familiar with the term "dookie shoot" but I would love to know what it means.....I will Google it!
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccazzo View Post
A Mic to a Preamp to a ( sometimes ) Compressor to Tape or a DAW

That´s it.
Skip the podfarm and record dry insted , and fix the sound in the mix insted.

Really , well maybe you should let her mix your songs then.
And recording a left vocal and a right vocal channel leaves the center pretty empty doesn´t it ?
I Listened quikly to your tracks and they were OK , but i think you need to work more on your songwriting , focusing on the lyrics , when and were to do adds , doubled your vocals tight and doing hooks that works with the song.
Find someone who can write a song better, the two tracks I have up right now are very rough,even with that said if you actually DID listen to the lyrics youd understand the complexity of which they were written....
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master View Post
huh?
LOL..........I looked it up!
In my day we liked the term rump ranger!
But things aren't different these days.....
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Ah, now I see.

Ok, here's your issues with the voice - the compression is working just right. The eq could give your voice just a nudge more presence. Just enough to move the vocals forward in the mix some. Weirdly enough, your kick drums are throwing off the depth in your mix - they're so forward, it's forcing the vocals back a little. Lastly (or firstly) the mic you are tracking on seems to be a little thin and has some brassy mid-range distortion. It could be a number of things: cheap mic, comb filtering (I think this is the main problem), or perhaps that's from the blues vocal preset. It's also not giving you much love in the low mids. I would say, notch your vocals up like half a db to a db. Just a tiny lift. Run them through an eq and find the sweet spot between 1.5-3.5k that seems to make your voice pop and give that 1 or 2 db. See what that does for ya.
Should I add both compression and EQ at the same time to all main parts of the vocal
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

I do like your Jae logo though....
I never meant to cause any pain
Peace
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Find someone who can write a song better, the two tracks I have up right now are very rough,even with that said if you actually DID listen to the lyrics youd understand the complexity of which they were written....
I Can find 100 if that satisfies your need.
Old 27th November 2009
The songs are good by the way. But I can tell you're trying to sound like Jay-z! From the music to the arrangement to the delivery to the tone of the vox.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeAudio View Post
I directed that toward Minor Glitch. Im not stupid,trust me I know when to take criticism.The only thing I said back to phillysoufman was "I may of spelled two words wrong tops" and "Do yo have AIM(Aol Instant Messanger). I never thought for a second to start any trouble, but alot of people replied with blatant remarks about my mixing expirience, with no intention to help. If I did insult phillysoufman(which I dont believe I did) then I'd be the first to apologize.In any case, im sorry.
Aside from my first, admittingly smartass, sentence I was actually trying to help you out, but you felt the need to be completely rude and insulting. No one here has to help you, but we want to, and we're trying to.
We're all trying to understand what it is you're asking, yet here you are flaming us and mouthing off to us.

Please don't ask for help and insult the people who are trying their best to help you. It's not going to get you far in life.

As for using acid, I apologize for overlooking that.
I was only going by that photo of the line 6 software you posted.
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccazzo View Post
I Can find 100 if that satisfies your need.
I highly doubt this, I really hope your not thinking of the two garbage artist your working with right now,because there not even close. If you knew who I amyou wouldnt be speaking. Honestly though im waiting for you to point these artist out.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

A girl once told me that you don't need a fancy DSLR camera be a photographer, she said: I do them just as good with my camera phone (1.3 megapixels).
This girl was taking pictures of herself from up above, making the "sexie" faces, pucker up and all that bullsh*t, and the pics were just like the crappy ones on myspace, hi5 and other social networks.
These people couldn't tell a stalion from a mule/donkey.
The same goes for you Jae.
Why da fkc do you think recording/mixing/mastering engineers get paid those huge amounts?
Youu iiignaaant muhfookaaah!
I repeat, you sir are irevocably ignorant!
Hope you fix your attitude, if not, enjoy your bound to be crappy existance!
Peace!
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Nut

this thread is done.....someone lock this or delete it....something
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingstuff View Post
Actually, No...the truth is that a lot of members here are overly-egotistical assholes who usually either miss the point of the original post 50% of the time....the other half they simply read the thread title and respond to it without even scanning through the OP.

A lot of them fail to realize that not everyone who posts here is a seasoned vet in all things audio. If everyone knew everything about recording/mixing/production there wouldn't be much need for places like this...

So yea...let's all continue to flame the OP because...um...his post isn't on our level...
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
Actually, No...the truth is that a lot of members here are overly-egotistical assholes who usually either miss the point of the original post 50% of the time....the other half they simply read the thread title and respond to it without even scanning through the OP.

A lot of them fail to realize that not everyone who posts here is a seasoned vet in all things audio. If everyone knew everything about recording/mixing/production there wouldn't be much need for places like this...

So yea...let's all continue to flame the OP because...um...his post isn't on our level...

I thought I was trying to be a nice guy. I did answer Jae's question pretty thoroughly.

But I think Jae is right. This thread should be locked. The point is, this has been a pretty disrespectful thread all around - sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. That's not a good look.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

thank you philly, and everyone else who stated the obvious.

i answered this guys questions pretty well if i say so myself.

i dont think i was snooty or anything about it at all.

oh well, i tried.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another ignorant poster. Minor Glitch do I have to post screenshots,adding EQ and compressiong is not rocket science. My little sister could make a mix. When I record i usually record two main vocal tracks pan them left and right,add Track EQ(to mess with later) effect to whatever instrumental,add compression and then EQ afterwards. I guess when I smoke to much and post on forums,some people get real ANAL and and try to argue stupid ****. Also I record Acid Pro 6.0 which is a REAL DAW, I guess you failed to read that also.

you have NO IDEA of what you are talking about.

go buy the book i suggested.

when EVERY REPLY you get is critical of you.....YOUR THE ONE thats WRONG.

Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

it's a nightmare....isn't it!
Old 29th November 2009

Quote:
I highly doubt this, I really hope your not thinking of the two garbage artist your working with right now,because there not even close. If you knew who I amyou wouldnt be speaking. Honestly though im waiting for you to point these artist out.
we do know "who you are".... we've been to yer Myspace.

It's actually alright.

Just listen to what the guys are saying about "recording effects"..... nobody records with FX... not JayZ or anyone. Nealry always after the fact ... garage rock DOES sometime record with a mic'ed up PA with 'verb n'all that. But not hip "pop".....
Old 1st December 2009
teo
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you already hear the music though storyville? If not...
Jae on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

I actually expected much MUCH worse than this...apart from the whiny girl's voice...
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
I actually expected much MUCH worse than this...apart from the whiny girl's voice...
I liked it. The mix definitely could use a little work, but the lyrics and delivery are really good.

Isn't this thread locked yet?
Old 8th December 2009
Here for the gear

Honestly, this has been one of those few times I actually laughed repeatedly at one single thread. Thank you to everyone who took part in the circus. I was really hoping the OP was actually Jay Z though, only in a perfect world.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search