The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Melodyne DNA: anyone done anything crazy with it? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st November 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Melodyne DNA: anyone done anything crazy with it?

If so, please report!

Seems to me like it opens up a whole new frontier in found-sound/sampling.

- c
Old 21st November 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Lrmusic's Avatar
 

I once snapped the pitch a vocalist's singing down to a t. However, it caused me pain when I played it back. I think I'll call it the t-pain effect.
Old 22nd November 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Wait, you understand it's a breakthrough right? You can now adjust pitch POLYPHONICALLY. This has nothing to do with autotune, this is about a new frontier in sampling.

- c
Old 22nd November 2009
  #4
already fixed a guitar solo.
that their intonation on their guitar was poor.
Also, some loops that didn't completely fit with a song now did.
You still need a good ear for DNA, and that's what I like.
Old 22nd November 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 

if my memory serves me right... we all agreed it's crap since it only handles soloed instruments properly.
Old 22nd November 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

I would have thought that the hip hop forum would be freaking out over this technology. This shows you how much I know.

You can now adjust the internal notes within the opening string section in Etta James' "At Last" to conform to the tune you're working on. That's the kind of thing I'm going to try.

Seems like a pretty radical breakthrough to me.

The possibilities are pretty mindblowing if you think like a young Pete Rock or Prince Paul or Hank Shocklee or Timbaland or other such innovator (like the Beatles?) would do with this tool.

The musical implications are pretty wild. And the legal implications are pretty wild too. If you sample something and completely rearrange its internal musical structure, it would seem to me that it's not the same licensing scenario as a conventional sample. But I guess that question goes beyond the scope of this thread.

They're going to need to make a sequel to this Good Copy Bad Copy, that's for sure...

- c
Old 22nd November 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
...Seems like a pretty radical breakthrough to me..
have you looked into photosounder?

i might try THAT since being able to adjust pitch polyphonically isn't as important to me as being able to mute / solo stuff within a fully instrumentated sample.
dna doesn't seem to handle fully instrumentated loops properly.
Old 22nd November 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I would have thought that the hip hop forum would be freaking out over this technology. This shows you how much I know.

You can now adjust the internal notes within the opening string section in Etta James' "At Last" to conform to the tune you're working on. That's the kind of thing I'm going to try.

Seems like a pretty radical breakthrough to me.

The possibilities are pretty mindblowing if you think like a young Pete Rock or Prince Paul or Hank Shocklee or Timbaland or other such innovator (like the Beatles?) would do with this tool.

The musical implications are pretty wild. And the legal implications are pretty wild too. If you sample something and completely rearrange its internal musical structure, it would seem to me that it's not the same licensing scenario as a conventional sample. But I guess that question goes beyond the scope of this thread.

They're going to need to make a sequel to this Good Copy Bad Copy, that's for sure...

- c
I'm kinda shocked it isn't all over as well. (I kinda waited till I could hear reports before buying in). But it seems like taking a horn stab that is minor and making it a major stab would be a cool use of the thing. I understand it can't just deconstruct a loop as easily but it would still seem to have a lot of things we could use it for like the example you gave.
Old 22nd November 2009
  #9
Yeah melodyne DNA is awesome, but does not perform separation in a complete mix however : it performs well on ONE instrument playing polyphonic stuff, which is already quite incredible though, and it's really beautiful too.

I saw a testing on youtube which accounts well for the different things it can do :
YouTube - Non Eric´s erste Tests mit Celemony Melodyne DNA!
Old 22nd November 2009
  #10
Gear Head
 
sidestepstudios's Avatar
I think this is more what you were asking about:

YouTube - Bohemium Rhapsody - Changed the key with Melodyne Editor!

And more of what I was afraid would happen....
Old 22nd November 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidestepstudios View Post
I think this is more what you were asking about:

YouTube - Bohemium Rhapsody - Changed the key with Melodyne Editor!

And more of what I was afraid would happen....
Oh MY GOD! That is the kind of crazy thing I'm talking about!

Imagine what this implies for HIP HOP!!!!!!

I can't wait for my copy to arrive.

- c
Old 22nd November 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
 

If i ever get a copy in my hands .....just wow.

I dont need it to break down a whole arangement for me. Just being able to break down the keys and scales and chords of solos would be just enough for how i would tweak it.

Not only that, being able to see the progressions and key switches of a few styles i dont play...this would fast track that kind of information for me. Something that would take me hours to listen and learn and AIM people to find for me...i can click and know in 5 minutes.

That's the biggest plus for me, a person not classicaly trained and without AP hearing....I can replay/learn/freak basslines to any sample or composition at a higher artistic level
Old 22nd November 2009
  #13
Lives for gear
 
ryst's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Oh MY GOD! That is the kind of crazy thing I'm talking about!

Imagine what this implies for HIP HOP!!!!!!

I can't wait for my copy to arrive.

- c
Just make sure you ordered the Melodyne DNA - "Hip Hop Edition".
Old 25th November 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

It is remarkable to me that the hip hop community isn't excited about this technology. The only thing people want to explore is how to get their kicks more bangin' or whatever.

Meanwhile Melodyne DNA has opened up a whole new vista of musical production. Yawn.

- c
Old 25th November 2009
  #15
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I would have thought that the hip hop forum would be freaking out over this technology. This shows you how much I know.

You can now adjust the internal notes within the opening string section in Etta James' "At Last" to conform to the tune you're working on. That's the kind of thing I'm going to try.

Seems like a pretty radical breakthrough to me.

The possibilities are pretty mindblowing if you think like a young Pete Rock or Prince Paul or Hank Shocklee or Timbaland or other such innovator (like the Beatles?) would do with this tool.

The musical implications are pretty wild. And the legal implications are pretty wild too. If you sample something and completely rearrange its internal musical structure, it would seem to me that it's not the same licensing scenario as a conventional sample. But I guess that question goes beyond the scope of this thread.

They're going to need to make a sequel to this Good Copy Bad Copy, that's for sure...

- c
It doesnt mean **** if you're tone deaf.
Old 25th November 2009
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Well, you do have a point there.

But the great hip hop producers are very musical. I'm pretty sure RZA's getting into some serious illness with this right now.

- c
Old 25th November 2009
  #17
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Well, you do have a point there.

But the great hip hop producers are very musical. I'm pretty sure RZA's getting into some serious illness with this right now.

- c
I seriously doubt that.
Old 25th November 2009
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
I seriously doubt that.
That guy's a composer with an intuitive sense of arrangement. And he's been studying formal theory for the last few years or so (with a professor from Mannes, I believe?). I learned this at the Blakroc sessions, but it wasn't shocking.

Qtip's been studying piano for the last decade or so as well. They're smart guys. Reinforcing their intuitive abilities with formal education.

I respect it.

- c
Old 25th November 2009
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Nahuel's Avatar
 

Yes it looks awesome, that's definetly a tool I'd like to have. Too bad I dont have the budget for that right now.
Old 25th November 2009
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
It doesnt mean **** if you're tone deaf.
This and lots of people who are making tracks now either don't sample anymore or never even started off producing with samples. Even with all the potential DNA has, I don't really see that changing. You really can't just jump in and start using it and to get quality results you need to have good source material and put in a decent amount of work. For better or worse, this doesn't really fit in with the "the faster I finish a beat the better" mentality that's common right now. Not saying it's good or bad, just saying how it is.
Old 25th November 2009
  #21
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
That guy's a composer with an intuitive sense of arrangement. And he's been studying formal theory for the last few years or so (with a professor from Mannes, I believe?). I learned this at the Blackroc sessions, but it wasn't shocking.

Qtip's been studying piano for the last decade or so as well. They're smart guys. Reinforcing their intuitive abilities with formal education.

I respect it.

- c
Ok then.
Are you trying to say that in episode six,RZA is playing some dope ass **** on his axe??
Are you kidding me?
Sorry to say that that its a dopey ass part that any amateur dopey beginner would TRY to play.
Him and Weezy should just give up trying to be "musicians"

Just bloody awful..
Old 26th November 2009
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Nahuel's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Ok then.
Are you trying to say that in episode six,RZA is playing some dope ass **** on his axe??
Are you kidding me?
Sorry to say that that its a dopey ass part that any amateur dopey beginner would TRY to play.
Him and Weezy should just give up trying to be "musicians"

Just bloody awful..
I've seen that vid, I thought that what he played didnt sound like what a guitarist would play but he made the track sound like WU, like hip hop,was pretty cool to me until the other dude started ****in up the whole vibe with his guitarist licks.
Old 26th November 2009
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Ok then.
Are you trying to say that in episode six,RZA is playing some dope ass **** on his axe??
Are you kidding me?
Sorry to say that that its a dopey ass part that any amateur dopey beginner would TRY to play.
Him and Weezy should just give up trying to be "musicians"

Just bloody awful..
I havent watched any episodes. I was at the sessions. RZA is a very smart, profoundly musical guy, which is evident in his work. I'm totally comfortable disagreeing with you on this matter. You're entitled to your opinion. We could certainly start an awesome thread called Two Guys Shouting At Each Other About RZA, but I think we're about as OT as we should get on this one. Y'know? We feel differently about these artists, I guess.

'S cool with me. Cool with you?

- c
Old 26th November 2009
  #24
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I havent watched any episodes. I was at the sessions. RZA is a very smart, profoundly musical guy, which is evident in his work. I'm totally comfortable disagreeing with you on this matter. You're entitled to your opinion. We could certainly start an awesome thread called Two Guys Shouting At Each Other About RZA, but I think we're about as OT as we should get on this one. Y'know? We feel differently about these artists, I guess.

'S cool with me. Cool with you?
- c
What was your function at those sessions?
Old 26th November 2009
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Ol' Betsey's Avatar
dfegad

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
What was your function at those sessions?
Who cares what his fukking job was?

As if that makes a difference?

Oh no, someone stepping Philly's wannabe-master-of-hip-hop-toes?

Sometimes you're just a tosser, you know that?

R.
Old 26th November 2009
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Just in case none of you realized it yet: this place became a freakin joke.
Have a nice afternoon full of verbal masturbation and dreams of grandeur.

Too much testosterone and egos for one single forum.
Old 26th November 2009
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusColeman View Post
Just in case none of you realized it yet: this place became a freakin joke.
Have a nice afternoon full of verbal masturbation and dreams of grandeur.

Too much testosterone and egos for one single forum.
Don't confuse this forum with the entire state of the music industry. You might just find yourself the catcher.
Old 26th November 2009
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Lrmusic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusColeman View Post
Too much testosterone and egos for one single forum.
Yep, and GS is actually the best (most mature and informative) forum I've ever been on; shows you a lot about the state of the internet

geeze i'm a nerd, i just used a semicolon in an informal response heh


Old 26th November 2009
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

I'm not really clear what went wrong here. If it was me, I apologize. I was trying to stimulate discourse about Melodyne DNA. Obviously, I failed miserably.

Can we push a re-set button?

I find it to be an absolute breakthrough hip hop tool. I'm able to adjust notes within a Shostakovich symphony. Even when DNA "fails", the artifacts are interesting. It's making me re-examine my record collection and I'm thinking differently about what is possible.

Vinyl "grabs" that I once tried but had to discard because of some conspicuous, jutting note that didn't work within the new context... well, I can now revisit those ideas.

It's exciting! It's a post-modernist/collage-makers dream. I have no idea how they did it.

Download the demo and try sh*t! Have fun.

My value system is easy to define. I try to adhere closely to the WWPPD principle.

What Would Prince Paul Do?

- c
Old 26th November 2009
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Nahuel's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusColeman View Post
freakin joke.
That's what it's all about.

-start a thread with some geniune question about gear: you'll get no responses or maybe someone will suggest you to "Read the ****ing manual".

-start a thread about some controversial subject: you'll get tons of replies and arguments.

-most of the regulars I used to learn stuff from have left or barely post.

What's left? ... entretainement, jokes...

the new product alert is my fav forum actually on GS, at least the discussion is still about gear.

And yes there's way better board to talk about gear, not hip hop oriented but with valuable information.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
gregerlindberg / Product Alerts older than 2 months
84
Demonslave / So much gear, so little time
143
PhonoquO / Music Computers
14
DCommand / Product Alerts older than 2 months
58
DCommand / The Moan Zone
32

Forum Jump
Forum Jump