The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Melodyne DNA: anyone done anything crazy with it? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I'm not really clear what went wrong here. If it was me, I apologize. I was trying to stimulate discourse about Melodyne DNA. Obviously, I failed miserably.

Can we push a re-set button?

I find it to be an absolute breakthrough hip hop tool. I'm able to adjust notes within a Shostakovich symphony. Even when DNA "fails", the artifacts are interesting. It's making me re-examine my record collection and I'm thinking differently about what is possible.

Vinyl "grabs" that I once tried but had to discard because of some conspicuous, jutting note that didn't work within the new context... well, I can now revisit those ideas.

It's exciting! It's a post-modernist/collage-makers dream. I have no idea how they did it.

Download the demo and try sh*t! Have fun.

My value system is easy to define. I try to adhere closely to the WWPPD principle.

What Would Prince Paul Do?

- c
I do look forward to trying it out.
Ill purchase it next week and I ll comment re the results.
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not really clear what went wrong here. If it was me, I apologize. I was trying to stimulate discourse about Melodyne DNA. Obviously, I failed miserably.

Can we push a re-set button?

I find it to be an absolute breakthrough hip hop tool. I'm able to adjust notes within a Shostakovich symphony. Even when DNA "fails", the artifacts are interesting. It's making me re-examine my record collection and I'm thinking differently about what is possible.

Vinyl "grabs" that I once tried but had to discard because of some conspicuous, jutting note that didn't work within the new context... well, I can now revisit those ideas.

It's exciting! It's a post-modernist/collage-makers dream. I have no idea how they did it.

Download the demo and try sh*t! Have fun.

My value system is easy to define. I try to adhere closely to the WWPPD principle.

What Would Prince Paul Do?

- c

''Silver Sonya'' I think that this is an informative post my brotha.
I also respect the way you handled your disagreement without being disagreeable with name calling and other insults like some people on this sight. who name I wont mention. Hat goes' off to you my brotha.

I think like in all things...One mans trash is another mans treasure.
It's subjective, I believe that most of us get it ( Recording / Sampling ) right from the initials recording stage so that we don't need to revisit a sample ( at lease that's how I do things)
OK after paying for the ''Melodyne 3 Cre 8'' I may need to upgrade. I hope it works well with other DAW's without that mess up bridge thingy.

Melodyne V2 with DNA english video. YouTube - Celemony Melodyne V2 with DNA

Bobby (Phillysoulman) I know that you will give it the work out, like you do with all of you 1000 plus gear in your closet...Lol.
Please post back and let us know your thoughts.
Peace & blessings.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggmail View Post

''Silver Sonya'' I think that this is an informative post my brotha.
I also respect the way you handled your disagreement without being disagreeable with name calling and other insults like some people on this sight. who name I wont mention. Hat goes' off to you my brotha.

I think like in all things...One mans trash is another mans treasure.
It's subjective, I believe that most of us get it ( Recording / Sampling ) right from the initials recording stage so that we don't need to revisit a sample ( at lease that's how I do things)
OK after paying for the ''Melodyne 3 Cre 8'' I may need to upgrade. I hope it works well with other DAW's without that mess up bridge thingy.

Melodyne V2 with DNA english video. YouTube - Celemony Melodyne V2 with DNA

Bobby (Phillysoulman) I know that you will give it the work out, like you do with all of you 1000 plus gear in your closet...Lol.
Please post back and let us know your thoughts.
Peace & blessings.
I will.
Cant wait to give it a go.thumbsup
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpuma View Post
And yes there's way better board to talk about gear, not hip hop oriented but with valuable information.
I came here often for tips on production and mixing (and I shared mine too).
Too many want to stroke their egos by dissing those who ask (often) valuable questions, instead of answering them. That **** is childish.

Regarding Melodyne:
It's great on guitars, nice on pianos and strings and often pretty usable when used on whole mixes. The more "percussive" the sounds, the easier it is for Melodyne to recognize the individual notes. Brass instruments sound pretty bad (in my experience).

You get many artifacts once you start to transpose the sounds, which can sound pretty bad. What it's great for is taking a sample and rearranging it (musically).
Not only can you hear the sample in the musical context of your choice, you can also use it as a guide for musicians to replay it.

This is not some kind of magical resynthesis tool, but it's a revolution nevertheless and I'm certain the next generations of these kinda tools will sound much better.
A small step for Melodyne, but a giant leap for musicians. heh
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

I've been playing with the Demo. It's cool for taking stabs (horns etc...) and changing the notes. I get some musical results on some things, like being able to remove bass notes. I used it to stretch a kick into a longer "boom" sound today..

I may end up buying it and using it to pitch vocals and the usual pitch correction stuff. But for editing stabs and playing with DNA the demo is cool. (I need more ram for my G5 because it seems to need more than my paltry 3.5 GB) Everyone in hip hop should have this in their arsenal for sound design. The best part is that for sound design it is FREE to get the demo which works on anything 10 seconds or less.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
Everyone in hip hop should have this in their arsenal for sound design.
I am so glad to read you saying this! This is what I have been jumping up and down about!

People seem to just want to discuss which era of MPC is best or whatever, but a truly game-changing new tool drops and e'r'body's like... which era of MPC is best? I'm like, what? Do you realize what is possible?!?

Hip hop's sonic irreverence should make it the most exciting, fearless music in the world. Anything is possible. All boundaries are elastic. Any sound is valid.

Bang your fist down on the table: that's a kick drum if you drop it an octave. Y'know? Why people wanna be conservative is beyond me.

- c

p.s. I was avoiding saying what you said about the demo. It shows that Melodyne has not thought about hip hop in setting up those parameters. They're presuming people are going to use DNA in the obvious, boring way. But ten seconds is enough to FSU in hip hop!! In fact, the limitation is cool! See what you can get away with for free!
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
But ten seconds is enough to FSU in hip hop!! In fact, the limitation is cool! See what you can get away with for free!
Hey thanks for the tip, I'll DL the demo asap.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey thanks for the tip, I'll DL the demo asap.
Yeah, best to do it before Celemony realizes their error!

I was avoiding saying this all along, but the poster before me said it.

- c
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, best to do it before Celemony realizes their error!

I was avoiding saying this all along, but the poster before me said it.

- c
I don't really think it's an error. If it makes EVERYBODY download it (as it should), then celemony has more advertising than it could buy and it becomes a household name. Many of the same cats will end up buying it (Me for example). It's a cool tool. It should be discussed. But for FREE pretty much unlimited trial, it should be all over the place..

What's funny about it is there were more threads/posts about it when it didn't exist and was announced than there are now that cats can use it for free. The developers deserve props/advertising.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

yea thanks IM WHO YOU THINK, DLing right now.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't really think it's an error. If it makes EVERYBODY download it (as it should), then celemony has more advertising than it could buy and it becomes a household name. Many of the same cats will end up buying it (Me for example). It's a cool tool. It should be discussed. But for FREE pretty much unlimited trial, it should be all over the place..

What's funny about it is there were more threads/posts about it when it didn't exist and was announced than there are now that cats can use it for free. The developers deserve props/advertising.
You're probably right.

I bought it 'cause I love it so much and the end of the year is coming and it's a tax write-off.

My sense is that nobody in the Celemony office was thinking about hip hop. I don't think they realized that for the hip hop community --- which is arguably the most potent commercial force in music right now! --- ten seconds is a LOT. Especially when you realize it's probably as much memory as Hank Shocklee had to play with back in the day. (Not being exact, but you know what I mean.)

I think they were thinking about people in Nashville demo studios who want to make sure the guitar chord is perfectly intonated or whatever. For these people, ten seconds is enough to get a sense for its power without being able to fully use it.

But if you're going to use this tool in the Danger Mouse way (or the me way), ten seconds is enough to really make something interesting happen!

Limitations are cool!

And getting something for free is cool!

I'm in my mid-30's. I hope some gifted, imaginative 19-year-old out there makes a masterpiece with this technology.

Here's hoping.

- c
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Addict

Been waiting a long time for this. My mentor who tracks orchestra sections constantly is jumping up and down.

Sadly it doesn't work properly yet... Hes has some serious crashes so Im waiting to buy the final version.

But consider this for classical music-

You track a string section. One of the strings falls out of tune a bit or the intonation is off. These sessions can be $3000+ AN HOUR for the players... If its not caught until the woodwinds come in to add their section, they would have to try and play a bit out to match. This is TOTALLY NORMAL and expected. People playing non fretted instruments is another game as opposed to synths and samples.

So now you can do a fine tweek so that the piano doesn't sound out in that section and the woodwinds can track in tune... If it REALLY REALLY works well, its going to be HUGE.

And for hip hop, it could be ridiculous... I cant wait to see what the 15 year old kid in his bedroom does with it and some samples he downloaded... The traditional potential is huge but the creative potential is truly amazing. If you have limited resources, programs like this are HUGE...

If it will stop crashing...

So the demo, while usefull now- isn't the free ride for those who are going to really use the program. You will need the updates for sure... Especially if you have owned Melodyne prior, then you KNOW its going to NEVER work 100%... Its just worth dealing with for the results.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

hey I found one wreid use of it that is pretty interesting (at least for me):

I was messing with some short sample I took from some Berlioz CD I've got (a fast and crowded orchestral phrase) and wasnt getting good separation (I get a lot of wreid artefacts on the "soloed" parts I wanted, not really useable... then I selected the 2nd tool (I'm on the french version I dunno the english name), it also works with the 4th and started clicing on the notes:

depending on the location you clic on the waveform you get different (perfectly looped) tones that are very interesting to resample in order to create new instruments for a sampler or a synth that can load waveforms... pretty cool!
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

why are you guys leaving all of the fun/imagination to the 15/19 year olds?

LOL give this to easy mo bee in THIS day and age...and see what HE does.

If you have an intimate connection to vinyl and certain songs you passed over, or had trouble manipulating..this tool really opens the door for samplers in more ways than one.

I wont even need a whole record. Just give me one james brown stab, one pinky floyd power chord...one acoustic solo from that one kid alchemist uses alot...and im golden.

Im not even thinking of it in terms of "phrase sampling"..but in means of composing all new original material WITH the patches/soul of the real instruments of that era.

Make your own samples, for real.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

I just copped the demo, and wow they gave you 10 seconds for real??

I love it. I might actually buy this in 2-3 weeks for a birthday present to myself.

What is the price? Everytime i goto there store, it asks me to run some app...nah im good on that.

Price just for the editor with DNa???

LOL at everything im going through to make this demo work for me

Splicing and dicing..imma post what i did tonight
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

This thread is finally rolling. I'm happy.

- c
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey I found one wreid use of it that is pretty interesting (at least for me):

I was messing with some short sample I took from some Berlioz CD I've got (a fast and crowded orchestral phrase) and wasnt getting good separation (I get a lot of wreid artefacts on the "soloed" parts I wanted, not really useable... then I selected the 2nd tool (I'm on the french version I dunno the english name), it also works with the 4th and started clicing on the notes:

depending on the location you clic on the waveform you get different (perfectly looped) tones that are very interesting to resample in order to create new instruments for a sampler or a synth that can load waveforms... pretty cool!
That's what stuck out to me about it. It loops things PERFECTLY. Man Just having this to find loop points for samples would be cool if I knew exactly what it was doing. At least I can use it to extend a sample if need be.

MG, I feel u. To hell with the 15 year olds I'm gonna do my thing with it. I'm going back in the crates (well lost my records to Hurricane K but u get the jist).
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly.

And I imagine this is what Silver Sonya was hoping to do in the first place!

R.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

You know that 10 seconds is still a pain in the ass. LOL, they fudged the code a bit, i swear, everytime i tried to arm record in another application it started to glitch on me. LMAO but i finally figure out how to get it squared away to record.....

Here it is (attachment)

I built 3 new chords, a 4 chord progression, out of the first 2 seconds of the intro....

and yes.....i need this in my life
Attached Files

MG+NewMagic.mp3 (916.4 KB, 110 views)

Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

One of my all time favorites.. im feeling geeked out about this.

The big problem, with the demo atleast, that it sends my buffer underuns/cpu to hell when i use it as a VST..

I dont know if this is a limitation of the plug or my computer...but it can get real tedious.

I can barely stick to it for 2-4 bars...

But once its done...im impressed.

Even on the EP, i added a few notes from within the sample

i think thats cool. Even with all the delay and static in the original, it doesnt sound half bad.
Attached Files

MG+KoolWithABang.mp3 (774.7 KB, 153 views)

Old 28th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
if my memory serves me right... we all agreed it's crap since it only handles soloed instruments properly.
It's not perfect but it's still impressive to me from a purely technical standpoint. The technology will mature and it'll become a more capable tool.

It's pretty exciting for me as a person who doesn't play any instruments but has an understanding of music theory. Looking forward to trying it out soon.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Whats crazy is that it dont even need to be perfect..from a sampling perspective, it can afford to be messy...really interesting artifacts..does that little stretch thing at the end of the loop like recycle does too
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's what stuck out to me about it. It loops things PERFECTLY. Man Just having this to find loop points for samples would be cool if I knew exactly what it was doing. At least I can use it to extend a sample if need be.
Definetly something that would be interesting for a VI.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search