The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Propellerhead's New Soul School Refill
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Propellerhead's New Soul School Refill

Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Sounds good

I've always had a soft spot for reason since it was the first bit of audio software I used. The refills from propellerheads are always quality. thumbsup

Only really use it through rewire these days unless I'm just messing around coming up with ideas. Think I'll probably be picking up this refill.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

[email protected] 2:30

That was the point i JUST made in the Questlove/Sampling thread.

Sampling sounds a certain way due to the energy put into the record initially.

Producers today just need more friends
And split the check already.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

fuuck
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Looks like any other loop/sample librairy to me.

-Alxi-
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

A bit off-topic, but I am a little disappointed by their recent ad videos like this one. They used to make really well thought out, clever and quite funny videos for their drums refill or the piano refill for example. I miss the humor and wit now. Just look up the two above mentioned videos, they're highly entertaining in my opinion and I always thaught of them as kind of benchmark for product advertising. Still al lovely company with cool products.
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Maniac
For those considering buying Reason, this is a pretty cool deal:

Propellerhead Software - Products - Reason
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop View Post
This is total bullshit.
The only credible person there is Wah Wah Watson.

FYI..soul is something you are born with.
It doesnt come in a loop or a sample library..its something which youve got ,or you dont.
Dase closed.
Old 28th November 2009
Deleted #29527
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
This is total bullshit.

It doesnt come in a loop or a sample library..its something which youve got ,or you dont.

Dase closed.
I have to agree with that!
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Not in the same league as our friend phillysoulman but I think some sample/loop libraries have 'soul'. Some of us don't have enough money or connections to get proper musicians into the studio so we make do...I'm not saying that the situation is perfect.

I suppose you could argue that using these samples/loops in a unique and skilled way takes some degree of 'soul'.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
This is total bullshit.

Dase closed.
What if the drummer that played those loops has plenty of SOUL in him?

I think sampling records made by real soul musicians is a great way for everyone else to get that old skool soul vibe. Particularly if you can't get a session musician.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is total bullshit.
I have to agree with that. The video is not very convincing.

Quote:
But you can make soulful music with loops and sample libraries.
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Addict

the problem with libarys a few thousends gonna buy them a few thousends gonna DL/copy them and they all are using them...so be carefull with using samples...same problem with 3 big workstations you really have to tweak to not fall in the factory-presets trapp
Old 3rd December 2009
Gear Addict

NO, you CANNOT make soulful music using samples and loops! If you think that, then you have no idea what soul is.

We got this new thing coming, you're gonna freak out...it's called making music with real instruments played by real people. And it's gonna be big, so big it will eventually bury this artificial robot Hamster-Dance crap and leave it smoking in ruins!

I'm not f*cking kidding - let the robot music die an ugly well-deserved death, yesterday if possible.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
NO, you CANNOT make soulful music using samples and loops! If you think that, then you have no idea what soul is.

We got this new thing coming, you're gonna freak out...it's called making music with real instruments played by real people. And it's gonna be big, so big it will eventually bury this artificial robot Hamster-Dance crap and leave it smoking in ruins!

I'm not f*cking kidding - let the robot music die an ugly well-deserved death, yesterday if possible.
predicting that "making actual music" will make its return is sooo 2005
besides that... soul isn't related to any method or type of instrument, it's beyond that.
Old 4th December 2009
wreckingstuff
Quote:

So Pete Rock no soul? Madlib no soul? Prince Paul no soul?

?
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

do they have a gangsta murda library coming out anytime soon?
or is that something your born with??

i digress.
Old 4th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:

You seem to feel very strongly about this which is fair enough.

The Mellotron is an instrument that uses samples and I've heard it played with soul heh

I respect your opinion but I'd have to say I don't agree I reckon a decent number of artists have made good soulful music out of samples and loops.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
In fact,we have some of the most soulful REALmusicians over at Studio E Recording and Productions.
I just hope and pray that some of the so caled beatmakers out there start taking music lessons...REAL SOON otherwise Mickey D's is on the horizon ..with a quickness.....like it or not.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

I don't see this as being particularly innovative, it just seems like a loop library with soul music as the basis. I have great librarys from years ago for this. They have there place, I use them every now an then to add on to something else. If this was a true soundbank where you could compose some great soul sounding horns and guitar, that would be different.

These loops will probably be played out to the point you won't want to touch them in about a year. That is one probably with royalty samples, they get used by people who don't want to take the risk of sampling.

Don't get me wrong, if you go out your way to rearrange chops, rechop loops to your own liking, etc, you could get to the place I would want to be. I could see myself buying this, making loop based or chopped songs, rendering that, then rechopping and resampling it. I just wish it was more of a soundbank than a loop bank (well, that whats the video looks like atleast).
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear