The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How you think they did Alicia's Vox on Empire state of Mind Condenser Microphones
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

How you think they did Alicia's Vox on Empire state of Mind

How you think they recorded her vox on this track as far as size room and how far away from the mic? This track is dope.Too bad the rest of the album aint.

I was expecting a whole album of bangers like this.Not a half radio friendly watered down album.

YouTube - New York - AZ, Jay-Z, Raekwon, Nas, Ghostface
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
How you think they recorded her vox on this track as far as size room and how far away from the mic? This track is dope.Too bad the rest of the album aint.
There is no way to tell unless we were there in the studio.
My guess is that she recorded her voice with an LDC.
Room sounds can be deceptive.
A great engineer can get decent sounds in not so great studios and vice versa,so having said that...how the **** are we supposed to know??
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
There is no way to tell unless we were there in the studio.
My guess is that she recorded her voice with an LDC.
Room sounds can be deceptive.
A great engineer can get decent sounds in not so great studios and vice versa,so having said that...how the **** are we supposed to know??

Oh c'mon Philly ofcourse you can...

Room Size was 5' x 5' and she was standing about 3' away from the mic so she could sing loudly and not destroy it.

Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

definitely a hip-hop mic
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

maybe her posture has to do with it as well.
in the video her posture looks really odd.
like she is taking a dump while standing, bowlegged and sh!t.

Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
maybe her posture has to do with it as well.
in the video her posture looks really odd.
like she is taking a dump while standing, bowlegged and sh!t.

..and while singing to her girlfriend
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Take a guess.

On first listen, I heard alot of air on her voice but not like C800G air more like C12 or AKG 414. It could very well be a ELA M 251 or it could be a really treated 800G.

I don't know and kind of could care less. Its Alicia and she would sound like herself on a Radioshack PZM.

Peace
Illumination
Old 19th November 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Don't forget the Mic cable, I am 100% sure it was the same one Dre uses, it can make a behringer mic sound great..if you want to be hip hop you need to be up on these things man!!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

This song was definitely recorded with a Hip Hop mic, thru a Hip Hop mic cable, into a Hip Hop Mic Pre, then into a Hip Hop compressor (no Hip Hip EQ was used on the Hip Hop recording end....only in the Hip Hop mix), then into a Hip Hop A/D converter, into a Hip Hop DAW running on a Hip Hop computer (the monitor screen was Hip Hop too) in a Hip Hop room with Hip Hop room absorption and Hip Hop bass traps (all bought at a Hip Hop store). It was monitored thru Hip Hop speakers by the Hip Hop engineer with Hip Hop ears to get the Hip Hop sound you hear in the end.

Totally Hip Hop dude!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Take a guess.

On first listen, I heard alot of air on her voice but not like C800G air more like C12 or AKG 414. It could very well be a ELA M 251 or it could be a really treated 800G.

I don't know and kind of could care less. Its Alicia and she would sound like herself on a Radioshack PZM.

Peace
Illumination
A Radio Shack PZM is a totally dope hip hop mikethumbsup
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
This song was definitely recorded with a Hip Hop mic, thru a Hip Hop mic cable, into a Hip Hop Mic Pre, then into a Hip Hop compressor (no Hip Hip EQ was used on the Hip Hop recording end....only in the Hip Hop mix), then into a Hip Hop A/D converter, into a Hip Hop DAW running on a Hip Hop computer (the monitor screen was Hip Hop too) in a Hip Hop room with Hip Hop room absorption and Hip Hop bass traps (all bought at a Hip Hop store). It was monitored thru Hip Hop speakers by the Hip Hop engineer with Hip Hop ears to get the Hip Hop sound you hear in the end.

Totally Hip Hop dude!
Hip Hop and you dont stop..to the beat y'all...word!!
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Ryst, but how could one possibly get a good recording of a SINGER with a HIP HOP recording setup? Wouldn't SINGING require a completely different setup? :-)
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
A Radio Shack PZM is a totally dope hip hop mikethumbsup
O sensei you never fail to get a chuckle out me.
(Still trying to get out to Philly)

Peace
Illumination
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbes View Post
Ryst, but how could one possibly get a good recording of a SINGER with a HIP HOP recording setup? Wouldn't SINGING require a completely different setup? :-)
No, because she's singing on a HIP HOP song, FOOL!

BALEEEEEEEEDAT!!!!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Man yall love the highschool mess hah. Im talking about distance more than anything. Look at the post I never said anything about what gear. Dang cant win. "It depends on what your going for", aight this is what Im going for, "Must be the Hip HOP chain". Come on now. However they did her vox is not everyday. It has a vibe like sees singing in a big arena or something. Dont sound like digital reverb. Im pulling out of imagination but it sounds like shes in a big room and the mic is further away than average and above her pointing down at her.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
No, because she's singing on a HIP HOP song, FOOL!

BALEEEEEEEEDAT!!!!
LMAO...

This place...
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

LoL at the many posts about Hiphop. I just wanted to say on topic though: I don't like Alicia's vocal sound AT ALL. She sings really good, but I get the idea that with the higher volumes there is some kind of distortion going on. The vocalsound becomes very piercing, causing me to lower the volume. Which cant be a good thing
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Totally Hip Hop dude!
Yeah, but was the DAW running on Windows XP 64bit hip hop edition or Mac hip hop Leopard or Snow Hop? Who knows what the best mouse pad for hip hop is? I want to be sure my beats sound nice and deep when I click the mouse. I already have the same mouse that Dre uses.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

This thread is greatthumbsup
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

Do a search for Anntastic...
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

theres NOTHING i wouldnt do to that woman.....
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthy08 View Post
theres NOTHING i wouldnt do to that woman.....
Would you let her take that deuce on your head?
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

As an aside,imho Alicia is very much over rated as a singer.
She sings flat much of the time.
Not a bad pianist..not great,but not bad.
Not bad on the eyes,though.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

I admire the commercial product that is Alicia Keys. Very good thought out, it seems to me. Her music is so-so. The better mainstream stuff imo.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

i think her stuff is too whiny.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

I like what she does and how she sounds... she is a great inspiration to me.

( edit... but not on that song )

lol at Sat Surgeon's reply

-Alxi
Old 22nd November 2009
I wanna hear the "sexual" song Alicia wrote and demo'd, and her manager heard it and apparently was all blushy and uncomfortable and said: "Alicia, we don't record songs like that"

This is what she said in an interview I read in a magazine about a year ago..

Alicia is good mainstream, but I wish she'd take some changes and not be so middle of the road.. w/e tho, can't please everyone..
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post

I was expecting a whole album of bangers like this.Not a half radio friendly watered down album.

YouTube - New York - AZ, Jay-Z, Raekwon, Nas, Ghostface
uhh..its called reverb...with a little pre delay to taste
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
i think her stuff is too whiny.
...and she is SO ****ing over rated
keyboard playing is just ok and not great....and she sings horribly flat most of the times.
I bet she gives Melodyne a good run for its money.
Sorry.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
...and she is SO ****ing over rated
keyboard playing is just ok and not great....and she sings horribly flat most of the times.
I bet she gives Melodyne a good run for its money.
Sorry.
I doubt she gives Melodyne a good run for it's money. She's obviously not using it if she is flat on her records.heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search