The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How you think they did Alicia's Vox on Empire state of Mind Condenser Microphones
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekells View Post
PSM was stating generally about the hip hop board. Read the 2 most recent pages and you'll see, a lot of really bogus topics that are diluting this section of the forum ... imho of course
thumbsupthumbsup
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
Diluting what its not hard to not click on a thread.Come on. This is HIP HOP forums. By nature its non professional streets kids trying to make music. Hip Hop producers are not clive status. You get on a certain level after some time but starting out you are most of the time not formally trained.
Then they should go over to "Future Producers" with the rest of the idiots.
Old 29th December 2009
Here for the gear

Not Quite....John AKA Ponceval

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncival View Post
I've had the pleasure of working with her a couple times, not on this song but when I tracked some vocals for her, her engineer requested an M-149 with an original Neve 1073, and a purple MC77. Very little EQ, just a high pass at 80, and maybe a touch of high end boost, 4:1 on the purple averaging about 5 dB of gain reduction during "normal" parts and the occasional 20 dB during the loudest parts. She stood about a foot away from the mic with a stedman metal pop filter.

Even though she brought her own engineer (female, I forget her name but she was very cool) they had me running Pro Tools. NO plug ins and no auto tune at all..

The point I want to make most clear is that she did not punch anything in, we did a hook and she sang the lead amazingly well the first time and then did 3 dubs of the lead that were amazingly tight to the lead, then did 4 tracks each of 2 harmonies and she nailed em every time.

She's one of the best singers I've had the pleasure to work with and was really really nice and down to earth as well. She was all about the work so I didn't really get a big chance to sit around and shoot the bull with her.

But I think it's safe to say that if you are hearing notes that sound flat it could be something they did on purpose, or worse yet maybe someone offset auto tune a little bit just to get your attention, I'm surprised how often that ends up happening. I'm not sure but I think she may have perfect pitch cause she had no problem singing exactly the same note every time, doing all the bends exactly the same and matching the vibrato exactly the same every time as well.

Also while I'm on the subject, I should mention that she's probably a better piano player than she is a singer. What an amazing musician and so well rounded! It was a great pleasure to be a part of it all working with her and her equally amazing engineer and the HIP HOP producer she was working with!

Thanks
John
John I never worked with you....I would never request an M149 for Alicia Vocal Chain, I do use a 1073 Mic Pre sometimes depending on the tone we are going for, I switch between a Tube Tech CL-1B, a blackface 1176 Compressor, and a Sta Level Retro....Also, You would never be running PRO TOOLS....Lets see do you work at that studio called Saltmine?? LOL....I switch between alot of Vocal Mics during Recording Alicia's Vocals, we have a huge mic collection....Alicia doesnt wanna be tuned, I tune her, but I dont tune her all the way....She is highly against it....I AGREE to alot of what you say in terms of Tuning....But she leaves stuff Natural....We comp alot of vocals, but she is a better singer than you guys think....Sometimes she settles on things that in my opinion could have been sung better....We use a combination of Mics for different textures, Alicia likes to experiment alot....We use an M16 by Telefunkin, M12, C12, C-800, RCA-77, U47 Church Mic (black face with an M7 Capsule and a VF-14teen Tube), SM-7....
Ann Mincieli
Engineer/Cordinator/Studio Managing Director
Alicia Keys/Oven Studios
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

^ There it goes.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

The last 2 posts have left me in a state of bewilderment...someone please explain what's going on lol
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear
I don't really like the hook of this song to be honest. But I love the beat. Really great snare that slams on every set of speakers I have heard it on.
Old 31st December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
This song was definitely recorded with a Hip Hop mic, thru a Hip Hop mic cable, into a Hip Hop Mic Pre, then into a Hip Hop compressor (no Hip Hip EQ was used on the Hip Hop recording end....only in the Hip Hop mix), then into a Hip Hop A/D converter, into a Hip Hop DAW running on a Hip Hop computer (the monitor screen was Hip Hop too) in a Hip Hop room with Hip Hop room absorption and Hip Hop bass traps (all bought at a Hip Hop store). It was monitored thru Hip Hop speakers by the Hip Hop engineer with Hip Hop ears to get the Hip Hop sound you hear in the end.

Totally Hip Hop dude!
Where can I find this Hip Hop store you speak of? lol

Honestly you should start a line of products that you market can only be used on hip hop music. Seems like you would find a lot of guys who stumble upon this forum looking for your gear.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search