The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How you think they did Alicia's Vox on Empire state of Mind Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd November 2009
Led
Lives for gear

Am I the only one who feels the Alecia choruses on Empire SOM sound like someone yelling rather than singing? I like some of her stuff, but man I find that one hard to listen to. It makes me feel highly strung..
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear
Holy cow there's a lot of sillyness in this thread. I know y'all are trying to come off as pros that are way too good to participate on equal terms with the rest of the forum, but please just shut up if you haven't got anything good to say. You're the ones that are degrading the forum if anything. If you don't like a thread, don't reply in it and it'll go away all by itself. Trolling just ruins it for everybody (and mods, please crack down on it more!).
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
I doubt she gives Melodyne a good run for it's money. She's obviously not using it if she is flat on her records.heh
But thats AFTER using Melodyne
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Gundersen View Post
Holy cow there's a lot of sillyness in this thread. I know y'all are trying to come off as pros that are way too good to participate on equal terms with the rest of the forum, but please just shut up if you haven't got anything good to say. You're the ones that are degrading the forum if anything. If you don't like a thread, don't reply in it and it'll go away all by itself. Trolling just ruins it for everybody (and mods, please crack down on it more!).
For real. Its like these cats lost all their appreciation for music. According to them 99.999% of everything is terrible and 99.99999% of every question asked on GS is stupid. You gotta wonder why they spend so much time on here. Makes me wonder if they just use GS to vent their misery. So of yall need a hug or a good woman.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
For real. Its like these cats lost all their appreciation for music. According to them 99.999% of everything is terrible and 99.99999% of every question asked on GS is stupid. You gotta wonder why they spend so much time on here. Makes me wonder if they just use GS to vent their misery. So of yall need a hug or a good woman.
Its because lately so many of the questions ARE stupid.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
Am I the only one who feels the Alecia choruses on Empire SOM sound like someone yelling rather than singing...
She even yells out of tune...
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

i think her vocals were great i just didn't care for the song very much.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

I saw her on the Today show yesterday and as usual,she sucked and was dreadfully flat....and the song ESOM REALLY sucks.

What was Clive thinking when he signed her??
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I saw her on the Today show yesterday and as usual,she sucked and was dreadfully flat....and the song ESOM REALLY sucks.

she's good looking!
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

just proves you can't make everyone happy. i think she's one of the most talented female artists out right now + good looks...wow
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
she's good looking!
...and she likes chicks
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Head

well if it was recorded at jay's studio "roc the mic" it might of been done on a telefunken because i was just there and they love using it.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
she's good looking!
+1thumbsup

An artist like Alicia is a win-win... If her her music doesn't sell her looks certainly will.

I've always liked her music. She's not the greatest artist ever but she definitely isn't bad. I think what I like most about her is that she never does whats "hot" or "trendy", she does "Alicia". Anyway, I saw her at the house of blues in New Orleans with Ne-Yo and they both gave a very nice performance.

Quote:
...and she likes chicks
Great, lol! Now I just have to find a way to hook up with her. Its a two for one!
Old 26th November 2009
db2
Gear Head

BTW, I redid the Empire track for fun with some local artists, RoSpit and Monica Blaire (Detroit). The drums we took from the album, but had to reconstruct them as jay is rapping over the second 2 bars of the pattern. The sample we used the original from an old Moments album and chopped/edited it up in the same fashion. It's got Monica Blaire on the hook:

MichiganHipHop.com » Ro Spit “Renaissance State Of Mind (Feat. Monica Blaire)”
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now, let me get this str8: Is that the HIPHOP version of Melodyne (Meyneequa) or the regular thing-thing?
I betcha they iz gots sum real phatt soundin, analog lava lampz too!
Word! Ya dig?
(Kidding!!!)

Now, let's be serious, cut the bullsh*t and just enjoy the music.
Plus, for those of you who haven't found out yet, there is no "make-me-a-hit hip hop plug-in suite" of the EASY BUTTON!

Peace!
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:

Maybe he was thinking it'd be good business to sign her because she's able to make good music that people want to hear? I'm pretty sure she haven't been a bad deal so far.. But that might be why you're at where you're at and he's at where he's at. Right.
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Addict

I'm liking her new single, "Sleepin' with a Broken Heart" or something like that. She's singing a little softer, which seems to reduce the pitchyness you might sense in a couple of her tunes. The drum track is nice, sounds like a re-created or chopped breakbeat.

Is the melody from an old song? It has a familiar vibe to it. I like it tho, nice!

As with everyone else, she is fine too!! Them thighs are a muthafaya!!

Swizz is a lucky man...
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Gundersen View Post
Maybe he was thinking it'd be good business to sign her because she's able to make good music that people want to hear? I'm pretty sure she haven't been a bad deal so far.. But that might be why you're at where you're at and he's at where he's at. Right.
EXACTLY, for some much ego there is a lot of time being spent on these forums. And most of it is a waste of time cause its just time being spent on telling people how much they suck. Must not be very busy. Sounds like alot of bitterness to me.

Im sure the successful ones in this business are not sitting in front of a screen all day,waiting for the next new post so they can tell someone how much they suck. So no offense to anyone that it doesnt apply to,but that is the definition of a loser, or a bitter has been. You dont have to be rich to be successful. To me its all about your attitude and how much passion,effort and fun you put in it.

If my best is not as fine tuned and advanced as what you can do,does that mean I should just stop? Thats when it becomes more about your ego or the money than making MUSIC. Music is Music weather it is amateur or from a seasoned musician. Everyone has different levels of talent and capabilities, but as long as your passion is genuine and your effort is your best who gives a sh#t? If you dont like it dont listen to it. The stuff I cant stand is the embracing of music that obviously has little effort applied and is not coming from a genuine place. Music can be amateur but still have integrity. Thats what a lot of underground hip hop is to me. Thats why its gritty and real. Does it have super musician ship,production or engineering skillz:NO. BUt I will listen to it all day before I will listen to the most polished pop song on the radio.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
Music can be amateur but still have integrity. Thats what a lot of underground hip hop is to me. Thats why its gritty and real. Does it have super musician ship,production or engineering skillz:NO. BUt I will listen to it all day before I will listen to the most polished pop song on the radio.
I like both: the raw underground stuff and the overproduced pop ****. heh

Alicia Keys sells good music, no doubt. She has an interesting image and so on.
I just don't feel her voice. It sounds pushed and screamy.
Old 28th November 2009
Quote:
Its because lately so many of the questions ARE stupid.
I don't agree with all your opinions in this thread, but statement is definitely true!
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
A Radio Shack PZM is a totally dope hip hop mikethumbsup

'kin right on mate... i've got 2! wouldnt part with em
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

I've had the pleasure of working with her a couple times, not on this song but when I tracked some vocals for her, her engineer requested an M-149 with an original Neve 1073, and a purple MC77. Very little EQ, just a high pass at 80, and maybe a touch of high end boost, 4:1 on the purple averaging about 5 dB of gain reduction during "normal" parts and the occasional 20 dB during the loudest parts. She stood about a foot away from the mic with a stedman metal pop filter.

Even though she brought her own engineer (female, I forget her name but she was very cool) they had me running Pro Tools. NO plug ins and no auto tune at all..

The point I want to make most clear is that she did not punch anything in, we did a hook and she sang the lead amazingly well the first time and then did 3 dubs of the lead that were amazingly tight to the lead, then did 4 tracks each of 2 harmonies and she nailed em every time.

She's one of the best singers I've had the pleasure to work with and was really really nice and down to earth as well. She was all about the work so I didn't really get a big chance to sit around and shoot the bull with her.

But I think it's safe to say that if you are hearing notes that sound flat it could be something they did on purpose, or worse yet maybe someone offset auto tune a little bit just to get your attention, I'm surprised how often that ends up happening. I'm not sure but I think she may have perfect pitch cause she had no problem singing exactly the same note every time, doing all the bends exactly the same and matching the vibrato exactly the same every time as well.

Also while I'm on the subject, I should mention that she's probably a better piano player than she is a singer. What an amazing musician and so well rounded! It was a great pleasure to be a part of it all working with her and her equally amazing engineer and the HIP HOP producer she was working with!

Thanks
John
Old 28th November 2009
Here for the gear

Why do you people have to be assholes? Don't respond if you think it's a stupid question. How is that so hard?

Every time I see phillysoulman post it's something negative. You complain about dumb questions, but it seems you don't have anything better to do than to let out your negativity.

Alicia Keys is a great singer and all around artist. She doesn't have a career just because of her looks. If it was that easy every hot woman that knows music would have a career. Alicia Keys is nice, but I know there are much better looking females out there that do music and don't have half the career she does.
Old 28th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by los226 View Post
Why do you people have to be assholes? Don't respond if you think it's a stupid question. How is that so hard?
PSM was stating generally about the hip hop board. Read the 2 most recent pages and you'll see, a lot of really bogus topics that are diluting this section of the forum ... imho of course
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncival View Post
I've had the pleasure of working with her a couple times, not on this song but when I tracked some vocals for her, her engineer requested an M-149 with an original Neve 1073, and a purple MC77. Very little EQ, just a high pass at 80, and maybe a touch of high end boost, 4:1 on the purple averaging about 5 dB of gain reduction during "normal" parts and the occasional 20 dB during the loudest parts. She stood about a foot away from the mic with a stedman metal pop filter.

Even though she brought her own engineer (female, I forget her name but she was very cool) they had me running Pro Tools. NO plug ins and no auto tune at all..

The point I want to make most clear is that she did not punch anything in, we did a hook and she sang the lead amazingly well the first time and then did 3 dubs of the lead that were amazingly tight to the lead, then did 4 tracks each of 2 harmonies and she nailed em every time.

She's one of the best singers I've had the pleasure to work with and was really really nice and down to earth as well. She was all about the work so I didn't really get a big chance to sit around and shoot the bull with her.

But I think it's safe to say that if you are hearing notes that sound flat it could be something they did on purpose, or worse yet maybe someone offset auto tune a little bit just to get your attention, I'm surprised how often that ends up happening. I'm not sure but I think she may have perfect pitch cause she had no problem singing exactly the same note every time, doing all the bends exactly the same and matching the vibrato exactly the same every time as well.

Also while I'm on the subject, I should mention that she's probably a better piano player than she is a singer. What an amazing musician and so well rounded! It was a great pleasure to be a part of it all working with her and her equally amazing engineer and the HIP HOP producer she was working with!

Thanks
John
Wow finally the Jewel in the the pile of sh$t. Thankx man for the post worth a damn after 20 posts of nonsense.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekells View Post
PSM was stating generally about the hip hop board. Read the 2 most recent pages and you'll see, a lot of really bogus topics that are diluting this section of the forum ... imho of course
Diluting what its not hard to not click on a thread.Come on. This is HIP HOP forums. By nature its non professional streets kids trying to make music. Hip Hop producers are not clive status. You get on a certain level after some time but starting out you are most of the time not formally trained.
Old 30th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
maybe her posture has to do with it as well.
in the video her posture looks really odd.
like she is taking a dump while standing, bowlegged and sh!t.

Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Every time I see phillysoulman post it's something negative. You complain about dumb questions, but it seems you don't have anything better to do than to let out your negativity.

Alicia Keys is a great singer and all around artist. She doesn't have a career just because of her looks. If it was that easy every hot woman that knows music would have a career. Alicia Keys is nice, but I know there are much better looking females out there that do music and don't have half the career she does.
Youd think after hearing this so many times hed stop trying to convince himself its just his artistic integrity that makes him like this. I seen a thread from the moderator, " attitudes and egos",that got his name all over it. It gets to the point where if you spend more time and energy hating something,you need to just leave it alone. I dont care how good you are at it!
Old 30th November 2009

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and how.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search