The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Bass Guitar Strings for a 5 String
Old 8th December 2009
Depends on the bass as far as tone, some will get 99% of the fretted sound (with good technique) while others have uncontrollable "mwah". It's mostly to do with a good setup. Yes they are harder to play but don't let it stop you, that's most all I've played for 25+ years now. Most have at least side dots so you don't get lost. I wouldn't have one with line inlays but that's just 'cause I hate they way that looks, there are great players that do use them. Going from fretted to fretless is hard at first but it's nothing like going from electric to upright, really not that bad. If you want to hear fretless basses in action with many types of tones there are lots of examples... Jaco Pastorius of course, Mark Egan, Percy Jones (Brand X), Bakithi Kumalo, Gary Willis, Bunny Brunel, Michael Manring, Tony Franklin, Kev Hopper, Bill Laswell (check out 'Basslines' a classic record), the session players on ABC's Lexicon of Love album, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
Besides less fret noise how does a fretless bass sound like? Can I get this same tone and is it harder to play even if they have fret inlays?
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear
Nothing sounds like a P or J bass, but the Japanese versions can be awesome. You have to play them to know. Every Fender is different. You have to hold it in your hands and hear the open notes and how they respond unamplified. My money bass that everyone wants on tracks is an american bass but is the Highway 1 version. I bought it because it was the best sounding bass I had heard. I A/Bd it against the Geddy Lee, and a couple American Standards. Are all the Highyway 1s this good? No. It is a case by case basis.

I would not buy an Ibanez for recording use. An old band of mine was offered free Ibanez guitars if we went them and we refused. Not because they suck, but because there are better options out there for us. I paid artists discount to have a Modulus on tour because I liked the live tone for that band and the stability of the graphite neck. For studio I will always be a Fender and Sadowsky guy.

The Music man stingray is an awesome bass. A great active bass. Not my personal choice, but there is no doubt that it is a fine choice as a studio bass.

I love fretless but you don't want that as your main bass (especially if you are new to bass). It will limit you in the studio. You want versatility and then you want to add to that. I'd go in this order : 4 string passive Fender, then active 5 string, then fretless.
Old 20th December 2009
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
Besides less fret noise how does a fretless bass sound like? Can I get this same tone and is it harder to play even if they have fret inlays?
Listen to the Rolling Stones, the bass is all fretless (except for a couple of songs with Keith on bass)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search