The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 5 or Sonar 8 for Hip-Hop? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

Cubase 5 or Sonar 8 for Hip-Hop?

Which would you recommend?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Sonar 8
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Nut

Both are good. if you plan on staying on a windows based platform, Sonar is nice. Cubase allows you the option of using a window or mac computer. For me the option of platforms is a plus.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

Yeah I'm probably going to be on Windows for a while, Macs are too much for me right now and thanks for the recommendations guys. I have another question though, what's the difference between Cubase 5 and Cubase SX3? I hear people talk about SX3 all the time and never really hear about the newer versions.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Are you serious? There's no such thing as a DAW for Hip Hop or for any other style of music. A DAW is a DAW. Find out which one makes you more comfortable and is more convenient for you. That's the ONLY thing that matters. Neither one is gonna make your songs sound more or less hip/hop. THAT is entirely up to you...
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

rofl, they are trying to be funny with the thread titles now
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Cubase 5 :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH :: www.steinberg.net

Supporting Media :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH :: www.steinberg.net
(watch the product vid at your own risk, cheesy as hell. but check out the other ones)

check youtube and steinberg for detailed info and workflow/features.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

OK my bad, but could you answer my question? Which one would you recommend?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCodie View Post
Yeah I'm probably going to be on Windows for a while, Macs are too much for me right now and thanks for the recommendations guys. I have another question though, what's the difference between Cubase 5 and Cubase SX3? I hear people talk about SX3 all the time and never really hear about the newer versions.
Cubase 5 has MANY more features and updates. You'd probably have to visit steinberg.com to find a comparison chart.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

Oh ok, thank you Trell Blaze.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Are you using any DAW now such as Reason, Abelton, Logic that you already have experience with? There are quite a few other DAW's that you may want to consider depending on your experience, budget, and needs.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

Well I have been using Cubase 5 for maybe almost 2 months now, but I wanted to know if I should switch over.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

This can't be happening!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hear people talk about SX3 all the time and never really hear about the newer versions.
Because the newer version hadn't been cracked? SX3 was ... erhm ... popular. heh Take note of the recent - and surely coincidental - exponential increase in Cubase 5 questions on the net.

Quote:
Well I have been using Cubase 5 for maybe almost 2 months now, but I wanted to know if I should switch over.
Only if you're not happy with it but 2 months may not be enough time to fully learn Cubase or any other pro daw. I don't see why you'd spend $500 on a daw (you obviously didn't have SX given your questions about it) and consider buying yet another in less than two months before you have time to dive in and get at the full details.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

Well that's the thing, I dont't want to get too used to it if there is a better DAW out there, hence this thread asking which is better. Originally I really wanted Pro Tools, but I couldn't afford the equipment to use it, so I settled with Cubase. Now I'm wondering if I should of settled with something else.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well that's the thing, I didn't want to get too used to it if there is a better DAW out there, hence this thread asking which is better. Originally I really wanted Pro Tools, but I couldn't afford the equipment to use it, so I settled with Cubase. Now I'm wondering if I should of settled with something else.
My point was that since you've already paid for it and started with it why not actually learn it first so you can make the decision for yourself later, if you think there may be a better daw out there. I suspect in just under two months of use you'll be relying on the subjective opinions of others on how and where to spend more of your money... which (imo) is not really a good idea. heh

Learn Cubase. If after that you feel that it's lacking then look elsewhere to supplement and/or switch. You've already paid for it so there's really nothing to lose now but time.

You can ask "The Internet" today or two years from now and no matter what DAW you happen to be using at that time, it (the Internet) will always say that there's a better daw out there. heh
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

Well, yeah I guess you're right. Thanks bud.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

TheCodie, Wow that's an easy question...Lol

OK on a serious note though, I'm going to show you why I think that on a PC level ( in my opinion)I believe that Soner will beat all others hands down.
First of I have Cubase and I love Newindo, I also have Pro Tools, Live, Samplitude and have tried many others.

Sonar was always' built kernel was based on a PC Dos application and the first to put midi with audio - that makes it very stable when running on a PC very solid and they are enervator when it comes to advancement. ''Although Stineberge developed the Asio technology'', Sonar took it to new heights like one of the first DAW to offer true 64bit audio engin back with ''Sonar 5' 2006 ' http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Inside+Out/Cakewalk-Making-Music-with-Sonar/?CommentID=323208 http://mixonline.com/products/review/audio_cakewalk_sonar_producer_2/
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2007/01/19/wnamm07-sonar-updated/
When they merged with Roland it took then to unreachable levels. http://blog.cakewalk.com/creating-soundtracks-for-video-with-sonar/

You wand Ablton Live - Sonar Matrx.
You want BPM The Machine (without the controller) type -------- Sonar Beatscape.
Tou want Auto tune / Melodyne - Sonar /Roland V- Vocals
You need more tracks better midi than Pro Tools LE - Sonar 8.5 blowes it out the water.
You want SpectrasonicsOmnisphere Type ---------- Sonar Dimension Pro comes with GPO/ Rapture in Sonar Producer 8.5
Some Fantom type sounds---Sonar Plug ------Roland Groove Synth Guitar Rig 3 lite and a host of good plugs ( to many to mention )
Arpeggiator in all interment Midi tracks. there are many other arpegiators I haven't mentioned.
Hands down for me it's Sonar 8.5 Producers......and No I do not work for Cakewalk but I would love it if they would send me a check though...Lol
To me the down side of Sonar is that it's so much that the Learning Curve takes time, I'm also not saying that it doesn't have it's share of problems (every software DAW does) but for me it's one of the best on the market today.
Peace & blessings.

Last edited by Reggmail; 19th November 2009 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Word Change
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

it doesnt honestly matter...

No such thing as a HIPHOP daw anyways!!!!

its all user/personal preference... as a long time nuendo user i'd say cubase 5.. i know ppl that use sonar 8.5 very well too...

demo of C5 should be out soon, dont know about sonar... tried it.. but just couldnt bring myself to use it or learn a new daw
Old 19th November 2009
Yeah, really no such thing. I use Reaper...other guys choose Protools...other guys like Cubase. Really depends on which one you want to take the time to learn.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'd go with Cubase 4.3.1 because it has the best-sounding summing engine for when it comes to hip hop.

Also, I saw a YouTube video wit both Dre and Wayne's engineer, and they were using Cubase 4.3.1.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

umm, the op already has cubase 5.

like lawrence stated, stick with it and learn it before dumping it or looking for greener pastures
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thangelz View Post
umm, the op already has cubase 5.

like lawrence stated, stick with it and learn it before dumping it or looking for greener pastures
But Dre's engineer said the summing in 4.3.1 is better for mixing hip hop beats.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
Are you serious? There's no such thing as a DAW for Hip Hop or for any other style of music. A DAW is a DAW. Find out which one makes you more comfortable and is more convenient for you. That's the ONLY thing that matters. Neither one is gonna make your songs sound more or less hip/hop. THAT is entirely up to you...
agreed. these threads really are getting dumber by the day.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear
Cubase does just about anything. No limitations. That's why I like it.

Sonar looks... too pretty man... distracting LOL
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well that's the thing, I dont't want to get too used to it if there is a better DAW out there, hence this thread asking which is better. Originally I really wanted Pro Tools, but I couldn't afford the equipment to use it, so I settled with Cubase. Now I'm wondering if I should of settled with something else.
You paid 500 bucks for Cubase 5. But couldn't afford Pro Tools which costs $200 (for LE or M-Powered)?.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

It's all about your personal preference and what works for YOU. Different DAW's just take different approaches to get to the same result at the end of the day. The DAW is not really going to make your music sound any better or worse, that all depends on YOU, YOUR abilities, and what YOU put into it.

I personally use Sonar 8 b/c I know my way around it and it works best for ME and MY workflow. Click the link below and you'll see what I've done. All of it was done on Sonar.

Blade (producer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With that said, if you already have Cubase 5 I say stick with it and take the time to LEARN IT!!! Many professionals use it and it's perfectly just as capable as any other DAW.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch View Post
I'd go with Cubase 4.3.1 because it has the best-sounding summing engine for when it comes to hip hop.

Also, I saw a YouTube video wit both Dre and Wayne's engineer, and they were using Cubase 4.3.1.
LMFAO
i needed a good laugh, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch View Post
But Dre's engineer said the summing in 4.3.1 is better for mixing hip hop beats.
ok stop, i'm laughing way to hard... i cant catch my breath
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
You paid 500 bucks for Cubase 5. But couldn't afford Pro Tools which costs $200 (for LE or M-Powered)?.
well pt le doesnt cost anything except when your doing an upgrade but requires you to use digidesign hardware...
m-powered is about $250, but again...it requires the you have a m-audio interface....

cubase doesnt care what interface you have

as for seeing a lot of things regarding sx3.. thats b/c it was cracked...
since 4 was never cracked we weren't flooded with dumb cubase 4 questions....
now that cubase 5 has been cracked there sure are a lot of cubase 5 threads popping up all over the place
Old 19th November 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
We all know it's cracked..now we can have another button pusher/piano roll drawing crap hip hop BEAT MAKER (such a silly word)..Im a beat maker, so can you show me how to draw in a c minor chord, my dad said thats what it needs on the course
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

sure, you're going to see an uptick in cubase 5 questions, just like there was an uptick in logic 8/9 questions since they were also cracked and readily available. so life go.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search