The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 5 or Sonar 8 for Hip-Hop? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thangelz View Post
sure, you're going to see an uptick in cubase 5 questions, just like there was an uptick in logic 8/9 questions since they were also cracked and readily available. so life go.
LOL
but then again every app out these days is cracked..
Cubase
Nuendo
Sonar
reaper (which is cheap anyways)
Logic 9
studio one
samplitude
Ableton
digital performer
hell even pro tools... but atleast you need to have digi hardware as a dongle....
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Its not about the software (or hardware) its all about the man (or woman) behind it. That being said I like and use Sonar 8.0 everyday for audio engineering. I think that Cubase in the a step ahead (workflow wise) in the sequencing/song arranging department. I now build my basic song arrangements frames mostly in BPM and then embellish and track them out it Sonar. I used to use Project5 and Kinetic.

Now Sonar 8.5 has Project5 basically built in so its really does come back to you. If your just making beats and not doing any vocal work then you don't really need. Grab anything like BPM, GURU, Reason, Fruityloops, Kinetic (you can use any VSTi with it), ect.... and bang em out.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear
+1 for cubase both will get the job done...
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

OK -

I'm going to ATTEMPT to legitimize this thread, I hope, with a ray of decency to the respondents who champion for SONAR or Cubase.

Question:

HH/RnB production can often be the result of vibe and speedy workflow. I really like Logic because SO many tools are built into the package that I don't often have to search far or long to find something that allows me to continue composing.

I broke down and bought Cubase 5 because the audio engine (re: mix capabilities and handling of audio regions/parts/etc.) is just a helluva lot more user-friendly than Logic. (I'm still debating whether automation is simpler or not.)

However, SONAR continues to impress me with a introduction of various signal processing plugs and features at a borderline-decent price point. But the screenshots and demos look like the "arrange page" (I don't know what it is called in SONAR) and the mix window seem congested and convoluted.

Before I tackle (another) 700 page manual and get my head around C5, can anyone who is familiar with both give a synopsis of THEIR OWN speedy workflow on either platform? I know that it's not necessarily the DAW, but HOW YOU USE IT. And that is the feedback I'm looking for...

And yes, this ridiculous thread is officially hijacked. LOL...

PWG
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear
^^ Sonar's arrange page does look suspiciously similar to Cubase's arrangement window. Not sure but it might suggest that they took a page from Steinberg design, and maybe the workflow is similar.

Been using Cubase since VST5 came out, and I didn't know what midi meant. I knew nada. But it was intuitive. Make a track for audio or midi. Put a sound in it, either an imported audiofile, or call up a sound generating virtual instrument. Move blocks around and make then sound good. Balance with the mixer. Export.

So simple, IF you like freeform arrangement. I'd imagine if I were doing loops, using drum patterns, samples, step grooves, audio glitching, I would have a harder time with Cubase. But if I want to put down pianos, bass, drums, brass, etc. I just do what makes sense, it's just like positioning a live band. Cubase is very straightforward. When I look at something like Live or Reason, I feel I wouldn't get a damn thing done on it. Looks more like something you program to do what it will let you do. I prefer to tell the DAW what I want to do.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

i ve been a cubase user since sx3 and i have bought any update since ...cubase 5 is greate and has anything you need i don t care about a big preset libary or a big loop libary....when other sequencer gets updateded you allways get a feel like mmmh now thats the ultimate daw!!i wish i had it...but soon or later ist gonna get implented in your daw...i mean any of the big daw is complex and takes time to learn..i guess i m just using 40% of the features but it is good to have them!!perhaps one day i m gonna need it...sonar is also cool and they are bring out every year a new version...with cool ideas/features..but now that you have cubse 5 stick to it!!get tutrial dvd or something or get a sequencer 'light'like fruity loops as an adition i bet steinbergs gonna drop an update 5.5 before xmas!!
Old 21st November 2009
Deleted User
Either one of them has plenty of beat making gizmos to get you going
BOTH will cover your genre just fine

If you have Cubase, roll with it.
Old 21st November 2009
Here for the gear

If I was just starting out again I would definitely use Reaper (Cheap). The only reason I use Cubase is because I already know how to use it, the $1000 price tag was a little hurtful :(
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

REAPER!
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Head

Codie, if you already have cubase5 just stick with it. Once you get over the original hump or learning curve, it really has a lot of features. At first it didn't seem at all intuitive to me, and looking up a "simple" task seems to reference you in nine different directions until you end up in the same place. I don't try to "learn" anything though, unless I actually need to do that particular task because of it. But when you need to do that "task" it is there, no wishing you would have bought a more powerful or different program. It really is simple though once you master the task at hand. I remember trying to figure out from the manual how to change the tempo from the standard 120. Something so simple to do in a simple program, and was tempted to leave everything at 120,lol!!! It really isn't difficult, but the manual covers tempo in so many ways, midi, audio, blah blah blah, something I hope I never need, but if I ever do, it's nice to know I can somehow!
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch View Post
I'd go with Cubase 4.3.1 because it has the best-sounding summing engine for when it comes to hip hop.

Also, I saw a YouTube video wit both Dre and Wayne's engineer, and they were using Cubase 4.3.1.
WOW. Just.........WOW.
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwun25 View Post
WOW. Just.........WOW.
And they made millions of dollars last year with a 300 dollar program, and mad talent . [/sarcasm]
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician View Post
And they made millions of dollars last year with a 300 dollar program, and mad talent . [/sarcasm]
And by their mad bass and crispy highs, you get me?
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch View Post
And by their mad bass and crispy highs, you get me?
Werd.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Cubase does just about anything. No limitations. That's why I like it.

Sonar looks... too pretty man... distracting LOL
agreed..

i use 4.5.2 ( i think) and even got a sonar demo cuz i was bi-curious at the time. but after 30 minutes of using it i deleted it off my computer. (totally different gui and imho tools are scattered and no sense of organization)

i also run pt8 for pt (L)users and cubase is similar to it GUI wise but a bit more complex..

pt8 is very simple and direct just so you know..
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

sonar is greatly organized but it takes a minute to get used to. and everything can be customized if u dont like how they arranged it for u
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Addict

IMO Cubase 5 is the best DAW out there, for composing, making beats, recording, mixing.
SX3 is also better then the rest for me but with Cubase 4 and 5 it's even better.
I say don't switch. Stick with it, learn it and you'll end up LOVING it.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
sonar is greatly organized but it takes a minute to get used to. and everything can be customized if u dont like how they arranged it for u

Agreed, I kind of like it when people sleep on DAW / gear like Sonar Producer 8.5 because now you know that everyone
not using the same thing that you're using.....it's fine by me ..Lol.
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Sonar8-5-Producer-8-5-Studio.aspx?Prod=SR8.5
Peace & blessings.
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Addict

Yeah....I'm definitely warming up to the idea of SONAR 8.5.

Cakewalk seems to be getting better with time and certainly outpacing Logic with modernizing. (I love Logic as a production tool, though. I don't think you can beat it.) But the idea - for me - is to compose and arrange in Logic and export that to a second DAW for vocal tracking and mixing.

Comping takes is huge for my workflow. How is SONAR at this facet of recording? Cubase is awful, IMO.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear
Cubase and Sonar can do almost everything production wise. It basically comes down to a matter of preference, which program has the workflow that suits you best. I was reading the review of Sonar 8.5, the thing is a BEAST and its integrated all of the features from Project5 from which is great.

I've also been hearing great things about Samplitude, so you might want to check that out too.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

I also would like to say that i read a post about sonar having all these crazy plygs in the last page..cubase 5 has at least the same things. But what i really want to say is that had i not had been exposed to cubase in regards to midi... I would not be at the production level that i am now since i have picked out the leading midi editor in the industry. Its a good thing yamaha bought steinberg or else steinberg might not be around!
Old 30th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic View Post
hell even pro tools... but atleast you need to have digi hardware as a dongle....
not anymore you don't, at least not on windows.

although not having an interface beats the purpose of using PT
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceyBaby View Post
not anymore you don't, at least not on windows.

although not having an interface beats the purpose of using PT
ha??
you need a digi interface to simply open up PT.. windows or mac...
or if you use m-powered you need a m-audio interface...

other than that.. no pro tools...
Old 1st December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic View Post
ha??
you need a digi interface to simply open up PT.. windows or mac...
or if you use m-powered you need a m-audio interface...

other than that.. no pro tools...

not really...

you supposedly need a dongle to run cubase as well

they have illegal emulators that make the computer believe its attached

even for ilok
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Maniac

Buy software, people. One day when there's no DAW software companies left because of pirating, we're all S.O.L.

249-399 for a DAW? Seriously? You should be able to make it back in one session.
Old 1st December 2009

Quote:
Buy software, people. One day when there's no DAW software companies left because of pirating, we're all S.O.L.

249-399 for a DAW? Seriously? You should be able to make it back in one session.
I agree, I'm just making the point that if you WANTED to run PT without the hardware you could, theoretically

like I said it makes no sense to though
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceyBaby View Post
I agree, I'm just making the point that if you WANTED to run PT without the hardware you could, theoretically

like I said it makes no sense to though
Oh no I got you. You're good! Wasn't really directed at you directly!
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

THANK U!

heres what i did i downloaded nuendo and diamond bundle in my old pc.
i learned what i needed to learn,, later on when i got a new pc i trashed the old one for parts.. purchased cubase4 and komplete 4 and some ik plugs and never used pirated software again because i knew i was going to profit someday with the software i use.. im not saying learing on pirated software is the best but i did chose an honest route and paid those who deserved to be paid. plus there is a sense of significance one you buy your product rather then robbing it which imho keeps you focused..... sorry for drifting
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Im not sure if pirating puts people out of business.

Arguably, if Fruity Loops was not so accessible 6 years ago we probably wouldn't have such a consumer/hobbyist based crowd in production anyways.

Cats grow out of that, and invest in something they deem better, I know my boy bought his first copy of reason 2.0 after experiencing FL.

I bought FL, way back around 3.4, I knew it was the best choice for me to make at that time. But had it not been pirated, I would of never found out about it until much later.

Piracy really opens the doors to alot of different things. It can be abused. But on the other hand, cracked versions let you test stability issues before you purchase. They let you see if the program is exactly what you need, before jumping on the upgrade ship and starting your database all over. It lets you compare and contrast the features and results of different plugs, so you can make a solid decision.

I appreciate that website that lets you test East West libraries online VIA midi for like 10-15 minutes. that's very intuitive and will definitely help end piracy. And companies like melodyne, that 10 second demo was perfect..no annoying bleeps and blops..like who needs that, you cant seriously make any decision on software these days, if you cant really trance into what it and you are doing.

And companies aren't worrying about "hobbyists" and "teens" anyway. No one 18 making trap beats is going to buy waves bundle. But there access to it does allow them to test and learn, and talk/brag/boast about it, and someone more serious would take that borrowed experience and make their own choice and get it for themselves. Since most older cats have the clientel and money or lack of computer knowledge.

The piracy argument is a funny one. The only thing you can do to end it, is to make everything free. But we aren't communists are we? I think as long as there's a machine making Air Forces...the Koreans will always be able to buy a used one and mass produce variants you can buy for 20$ at your barber shop.

Think about it.
Old 2nd December 2009

well anyone in the music business cant complain about downloading music if they pirate software

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search