The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Duet Vs Mbox 2 w/ Protools 8 LE for hip hop
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Apogee Duet Vs Mbox 2 w/ Protools 8 LE

While there's been a fair bit of discussion about this in other forums I thought I'd check to see what the hip hoppers thought, as I will mainly be using an audio interface to get sounds off of my Ensoniq ASR-10, EPS-16 and Microkorg - as opposed to using it primarily for a mic and guitar.

The consensus on GS seems to be that the Duet has a superior sound quality but that the Mbox has got Protools, and if you want to take your stuff to a professional studio at a later date you need to know and use Protools.

So far all I have software wise is Logic Express 8.

So it apprears to be an issue of better initial sound quality (Apogee) vs. better sound quality at a later date when you take it to a professional studio (Protools).

Surely in 2009 professional studios also have the capacity and know how to use Logic though? Or not?

And is Protools LE any good or should I not mess with it and get the 'factory' version instead (which apparently has far more plugins)?

Cheers
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

What exactly do you mean by "the factory version"?
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
What exactly do you mean by "the factory version"?
Mbox 2 Family

see for yourself.

"far more plugins" is definitely an overstatement, but the filter can be useful. Not sure if I'd bother though.

Yes, most professional rooms use Pro tools. Some use logic as well, few mid and top end studios don't offer pro tools. If you go somewhere that is owner/operator style, they could use anything.

Not having pro tools doesn't stop you bouncing out parts and importing them for mixing. Depends really on your ambitions. If you intend to carve a career as an engineer, you really need to know PT (don't forget, the Mbox can run Logic as well). If not, may make more sense for you to stick with Logic.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Nut

I rarely chime in on these topics, but this is one I had to decide once also. I say go with the better interface and just bounce to wav. from logic if needed. most studios run logic as well as protools. if you just want to have protools get a Profire 610 interface from m-audio and PTMP, this way you get a good interface along with having PTMP. Just my opinion.

I decided to sell my PTMP/Profire 610 set-up and go strictly with Logic pro with a focusrite saffire pro 24 dsp interface.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Mbox 2 Family

see for yourself.

"far more plugins" is definitely an overstatement, but the filter can be useful. Not sure if I'd bother though.

Yes, most professional rooms use Pro tools. Some use logic as well, few mid and top end studios don't offer pro tools. If you go somewhere that is owner/operator style, they could use anything.

Not having pro tools doesn't stop you bouncing out parts and importing them for mixing. Depends really on your ambitions. If you intend to carve a career as an engineer, you really need to know PT (don't forget, the Mbox can run Logic as well). If not, may make more sense for you to stick with Logic.
Just curious...

Anyway to answer the post, IMO, what's coming in is far more important than anything that can be done at mix time. All the mixing in the world won't save you from sub-par A/D conversion (among MANY other things).

As has been stated you can always export your wavs from Logic and mix anywhere else.

The better the initial recording, the less to be done during mixdown...
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

In Logic you can set the default format to be BWF(Broadcast Wave File). You can then open that audio folder in any daw and mix. All DAWS read BWF.
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace20019 View Post
In Logic you can set the default format to be BWF(Broadcast Wave File). You can then open that audio folder in any daw and mix. All DAWS read BWF.
You need to export the tracks - this is useless unless you have consolidated tracks.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Does the Mbox 2 really have 'sub par' A/D conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
Just curious...

All the mixing in the world won't save you from sub-par A/D conversion (among MANY other things).
I saw Black Milk was using the original Mbox in his home studio a couple years ago, so I'm wondering can the Mbox really be as horrible as people make it out to be?
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

YIKES not another "for hip hop " thread.
Wake up guys!!!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathunkya View Post
I saw Black Milk was using the original Mbox in his home studio a couple years ago, so I'm wondering can the Mbox really be as horrible as people make it out to be?
Actually they're not nearly as bad as people around here would have you think. They still get shat on by Apogee's converters though so if you have the option...
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

'for hip hop'

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
YIKES not another "for hip hop " thread.
Wake up guys!!!
'For hip hop' was shorthand for, 'an audio interface for my two early 90s samplers as opposed to acoustic guitar and mic'. But I see where you're coming from, I am a hip hop connoisseur and don't like to see the genre put in a box either.

I gather now that I can only have one sampler plugged in to an Apogee Duet at any one time, which is tipping the scales in favor of the Mbox 2...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear