The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland W-30 or Ensoniq EPS 16+ ?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Roland W-30 or Ensoniq EPS 16+ ?

I have had a Roland W-30 sitting in my studio for many years now which I only really use as a master keyboard. Donโ€™t get me wrong, I think the W-30 is a great sounding sampler and I really love the filters on that thing but somehow it just wasnโ€™t for me and so I have tended to stick with my S950 & SP12 combo for the majority of my sampling duties. I occasionally use the W-30 for the odd sample that could benefit from its resonant filter but asides from that it just serves its purpose as a controller keyboard.

However, i have always been interested in the Ensoniq EPS16+ which I could also use as my master keyboard and from what I've heard seems to offer a nice system as far as work flow goes when sampling. In addition to this, I believe that the EPS 16+ also has variable sample rate and built in effects which the W-30 lacks.

The main thing that has made me reluctant to trade in the W-30 for the EPS-16+ up to now was the absence of resonant filters on the EPS-16+ but I have recently read that the EPS-16+ can offer resonant filters when upgraded with the relevant software.

So what do ya reckon.

In your opinion should I grab an EPS16+ ASAP or should I think twice before I give up my loyal W-30?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

if the os on the w-30 is anything like the s-750 then(yikes!)....i spent a good year on that machine and for sampling and chopping i don't know how i stuck with it, without the mouse or monitor for the first six months too! then i took what i learned from that (my first actual sampler not including the mirage) and jumped back on my trusty mirage and now i am fiending for an emax and s900....

from my limited experience once on the eps16 back in like '94(?) and from what i've read it's much easier to work with than the rolands for the hip-hop samplists work flow. i am glad i 'started'(a bit late!) on the s-750 though because it taught me how to layer drums and now it is going to be resigned to a rack with (soon) another sp-700(playback version) to handle all of my orchestral strings/everything else that needs to sound professional(i got a hold of most of the available libraries for it).

but yeah for hip-hop sampling the os is like painting the hallway through the letterbox. on the mirage i press a button and the shits already on the keyboard and sounding off the chain(let's see the roland do that!)
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

If you don't need to sell the W30, why not buy a EPS16+ and try it out. Use it for a while and see how it works for you. Keep the W30 in the closet until you want to use it or decide to sell it.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialectic View Post
I have had a Roland W-30 sitting in my studio for many years now which I only really use as a master keyboard. Donโ€™t get me wrong, I think the W-30 is a great sounding sampler and I really love the filters on that thing but somehow it just wasnโ€™t for me and so I have tended to stick with my S950 & SP12 combo for the majority of my sampling duties. I occasionally use the W-30 for the odd sample that could benefit from its resonant filter but asides from that it just serves its purpose as a controller keyboard.

However, i have always been interested in the Ensoniq EPS16+ which I could also use as my master keyboard and from what I've heard seems to offer a nice system as far as work flow goes when sampling. In addition to this, I believe that the EPS 16+ also has variable sample rate and built in effects which the W-30 lacks.

The main thing that has made me reluctant to trade in the W-30 for the EPS-16+ up to now was the absence of resonant filters on the EPS-16+ but I have recently read that the EPS-16+ can offer resonant filters when upgraded with the relevant software.

So what do ya reckon.

In your opinion should I grab an EPS16+ ASAP or should I think twice before I give up my loyal W-30?
Label me a pretentious gearslut, but why not keep the W-30 and add the EPS16+ to the family?

I'm a big fan of the Emu/Ensoniq DA conversion. I'm also a big fan of having lots of gear.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy5000 View Post
If you don't need to sell the W30, why not buy a EPS16+ and try it out. Use it for a while and see how it works for you. Keep the W30 in the closet until you want to use it or decide to sell it.
Beat me to it. thumbsup
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

I would trade my w-30 for an eps16 without hesitation
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
if the os on the w-30 is anything like the s-750 then(yikes!)....i spent a good year on that machine and for sampling and chopping i don't know how i stuck with it, without the mouse or monitor for the first six months too! then i took what i learned from that (my first actual sampler not including the mirage) and jumped back on my trusty mirage and now i am fiending for an emax and s900....

from my limited experience once on the eps16 back in like '94(?) and from what i've read it's much easier to work with than the rolands for the hip-hop samplists work flow. i am glad i 'started'(a bit late!) on the s-750 though because it taught me how to layer drums and now it is going to be resigned to a rack with (soon) another sp-700(playback version) to handle all of my orchestral strings/everything else that needs to sound professional(i got a hold of most of the available libraries for it).

but yeah for hip-hop sampling the os is like painting the hallway through the letterbox. on the mirage i press a button and the shits already on the keyboard and sounding off the chain(let's see the roland do that!)
I know that there are some folk that love the W-30 for sampling and there have been some great albums made with that machine which prove that in the right hands it can be a powerful instrument but I just prefer using the S950, SP etc. Those roland samplers sure do have nice filters though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy5000 View Post
I will probably end up doing just that but was keen to get some info/opinions on the EPS first just to make sure that I wouldnt be wasting my time alltogether.

Ok, EPS 16 users out there, talk to me. Any downsides to the unit? I aint too worried about the limited sample time as it will be used to suppliment my existing samplers, namely the S950, S1100 and SP12.

How many outputs has the EPS 16 got, is it just stereo out? Can this be expanded?
What is the resonant filter upgrade like and how do you go about installing this?
What are the built in effects like?
Would EPS 16 make a decent enough master keyboard?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

How many outputs has the EPS 16 got, is it just stereo out? Can this be expanded?
>keyboard = stereo rack = stereo plus 8
>keyboard can be expanded(@ $200)

What is the resonant filter upgrade like and how do you go about installing this?
>waveboy, software = as simple as loading a floppy disk

What are the built in effects like?
>nice,

Would EPS 16 make a decent enough master keyboard?
>yes, excellent, can you say "polyphonic after touch?"

cons:
it gets hot.
not many places to get it repaired
spare parts are scarce
keyboard = scsi as option

good luck
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord toranaga View Post

>keyboard = stereo rack = stereo plus 8
>keyboard can be expanded(@ $200)
So stereo pair as standard but can upgrade to an addition 8 individual outs, right?

Quote:

>waveboy, software = as simple as loading a floppy disk
So will this require 2 discs to boot up each time the unit is turned on. 1 for the OS and a 2nd for the additional software?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

In addition to my questions above, any notable users/works that would give me an example of the EPS 16's sound? I understand that El-P uses one for most of his sampling duties and that the Rza used one for a bunch of early Wu Tang Tracks 36 chambers era namely - Bring da Ruckus, Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthing ta F' Wit, C.R.E.A.M., Protect Ya Neck, Tearz.

Any other artists, tracks etc you'd recomend to give an example of the EPS's sound?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have an eps16+ and use it for all my sampling lately. It's great. A good controller as well. SCSI is hell on it though. The effects a great, filters great, versitile sampler (dirty or pretty clean...not as clean as say an mpc2500 but clean.) infamous was done on one I believe, el-p, rza, are the most notable users I believe. I'd probably go ahead and cop an asr10 though if I were in your position...cleaner sound, stereo input, more effects. I also own an sp12, s950 and mpc60 (which handles sequencing duties). Great sampler, easy to chop, good sounds, effects, etc, doesn't get much better in my opinion.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, I've heard that SCSI can be an issue with the EPS, whats the deal with that. What storage mediums do they work well with? Do they not like Zip?

Also, does the EPS 16 read akai or any other type of disc other than its own?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

this is a thread from last summer. 'highly recognized' is super dope! he also put a track on the first post(op).
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
here you go strait from the horses mouth. I did this whole album on an:

EPS-16plus

ADAT Blackface
SM 58
Midiverb 3
Mackie 1604

Turtlebeach Samplevision editing

JVC Turntable and Mixer

Here are two songs from that album:

As I Come Back Attachment 74743
Highly Recognized Attachment 74753
circa 1994-95 International release in '96 EFA Germany

And Yes I do still own the rights, it was just a licensing deal!

Notes: Sequencing was on the EPS16+ except for one track which I did on Turtle Beach's Quad 4 track system. My computer that I recorded on was a windows 3486/33mhz with 4 megs of ram and a 200 megabyte hard drive. I did use Cakewalk 3.0 for one of the songs, but only for the sequencing.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Nice 1. Just downloaded those 2 tracks which i will give a good listen to a little later.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard that SCSI can be an issue with the EPS, whats the deal with that. What storage mediums do they work well with? Do they not like Zip?

Also, does the EPS 16 read akai or any other type of disc other than its own?
Any info on this?
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

damn dude, try to figure something out on your own.

EnsoniqSamplers.org | FAQ | Part of the SamplerZone Group
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

The issue with eps16 is term power.

The factory scsi card doesn't provide proper term power to most devices, so you have to mod it, use a device that provides it's own, use a scsi sentry (I still have one), or buy a third party scsi card.

I use a card reader with mine.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
damn dude, try to figure something out on your own.

EnsoniqSamplers.org | FAQ | Part of the SamplerZone Group
Damn dude, thats a really nice link. much appreciated thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 View Post
The issue with eps16 is term power.

The factory scsi card does provide proper term power to most devices, so you have to mod it, use a device that provides it's own, use a scsi sentry (I still have one), or buy an third party scsi card.

I use a card reader with mine.

Thanks JaeOne, I will certainly look into this before purchasing an EPS16. Many thanks.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks JaeOne, I will certainly look into this before purchasing an EPS16. Many thanks.
should say **doesn't** provide term power.

sorry, fixed.
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

I am pretty certain that I will be investing in an EPS 16 at some point and feel that it will be good choice to supplement my SP12 and S950 etc.

I have done a fair bit of research into the EPS 16 (thanks for the info and links!) but is there anything that you would suggest that I check for when purchasing one? Of course there is the obvious like checking the keys, the display etc but anything else you'd recomend to look out for with regards to upgrades, software, operating systems, common faults/issues etc.

Many thanks.
Old 10th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Same question again. Eps or w30? They both go for the same price... About 200โ‚ฌ. Asr 10 are still too $$$ .

the eps really inspire me, but the overheating story seems so annoying.

giarsultz halp pls
Old 10th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayglo View Post
Same question again. Eps or w30? They both go for the same price... About 200โ‚ฌ. Asr 10 are still too $$$ .

the eps really inspire me, but the overheating story seems so annoying.

giarsultz halp pls
It does get hot but it's not like its going to start smoking or anything. Mine never started to smoke or blow up.You will only notice that it's hot if you touch it near the heatsink. Just understand that it's not like an mpc where you can leave it on for days at a time.
Old 10th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat View Post
It does get hot but it's not like its going to start smoking or anything. Mine never started to smoke or blow up.You will only notice that it's hot if you touch it near the heatsink. Just understand that it's not like an mpc where you can leave it on for days at a time.
i need at least 2 hours of activity, and considering that my room is always warm (especially now in summer) im really worried about that. Also can you tell me how many outs does it has
Old 10th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayglo View Post
i need at least 2 hours of activity, and considering that my room is always warm (especially now in summer) im really worried about that. Also can you tell me how many outs does it has
I think someone already answered that but it comes with stereo outs but you can get the 8 output expander for it. my studio is basically a converted walk-in closet that gets hot in the summer. Its not unbearable with a little fan as the EPS does heat the room up a bit. It's not that bad plus you can leave it on for many hours, never been an issue.
Old 10th August 2015
Gear Maniac

thank you for the info! Im definitely going with the Eps
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear