The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What effects are used in Owl City - Fireflies song??
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

What effects are used in Owl City - Fireflies song??

What effects are used in that Owl City song called "Fireflies?" Is that using autotune EVO?

Thanks in advance for info... I'm looking for plugins to get to develop some crazy voices similar.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear
lol, that's I just googled this last night, I'll google it for you now...

Let me google that for you
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

By the sounds of things I would say most likely autotune yes
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

don't forget about the "i want to be ben gibbard" plugin. that's all over this record.heh
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

This is turning into the what XXX are used in YYY forum.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle View Post
don't forget about the "i want to be ben gibbard" plugin. that's all over this record.heh
That would be the bio-plugin named John Goodmanson.

'Course, Owl City is so hip hop.

Actually, if this kid were to collaborate with any of today's mainstream 'hip hoppers' for a remix -- insert any popular rapper for 16 bars at the bridge -- there'd be some money.

Last edited by Tom Weider; 18th November 2009 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: Piss poor grammar.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

some harmonizer effect, like in that imogen heap tune... Man that song is more homo than jay sean- down lol...
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

You know, I think a lot of times people think that there's a plugin for everything. The truth is, a lot of the sound of this guy's voice simply comes from his voice. Sure, he's adding a ton of Autotune, and an equal dose of compression to bring it up in the mix, but other than that I think it's just the pure tone of his voice. Same thing goes for the Imogen Heap tune (Hide and Seek). There's a ton of editing and tweaking going on there, along with Autotune, vocoder, vocals layered with synths, etc. to get that sound, but it all starts with the tone of her voice.

With either one of these songs, if you started out with a vocal that was gritty, or harsh in tone, you wouldn't end up with anything close to what these songs sound like.

It's funny, because just today I was asked by a client to get the sound of the Imogen Heap song, even though the vocal tone of the singer was totally in a different league.

Just a reminder, that the source matters more than the plugins it is being run through.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
This is turning into the what XXX are used in YYY forum.
What girl plugin was used on that picture in your avatar picture?

(What is her name is basically all I wanna know....)
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo View Post
What girl plugin was used on that picture in your avatar picture?

(What is her name is basically all I wanna know....)
Nicki Minaj
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Eiseman View Post
You know, I think a lot of times people think that there's a plugin for everything. The truth is, a lot of the sound of this guy's voice simply comes from his voice. Sure, he's adding a ton of Autotune, and an equal dose of compression to bring it up in the mix, but other than that I think it's just the pure tone of his voice. Same thing goes for the Imogen Heap tune (Hide and Seek). There's a ton of editing and tweaking going on there, along with Autotune, vocoder, vocals layered with synths, etc. to get that sound, but it all starts with the tone of her voice.

With either one of these songs, if you started out with a vocal that was gritty, or harsh in tone, you wouldn't end up with anything close to what these songs sound like.

It's funny, because just today I was asked by a client to get the sound of the Imogen Heap song, even though the vocal tone of the singer was totally in a different league.

Just a reminder, that the source matters more than the plugins it is being run through.
actually imogen is using a digitech harmonizer.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Shameless plug of a remix we did of that track -

rock the dub: Owl City "Fireflies (Trillbass & E Tubbs Remix)"
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'd love to hear that kid sing without Autotune or Melodyne or whatever.

I've heard someone before describe his album as "Bubblegum and Braces" Seems fitting.

You do have to give him credit though, he did come up with his own sound and style. And his lyrics are blissfully happy and somewhat clever.

"I've been to the dentist a thousand times so I know the drill." lol
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle View Post
actually imogen is using a digitech harmonizer.
Actually she's not. I've seen her perform it live, and she's using a plain old vocoder controlled from her keytar.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax808 View Post
I'd love to hear that kid sing without Autotune or Melodyne or whatever.

I've heard someone before describe his album as "Bubblegum and Braces" Seems fitting.

You do have to give him credit though, he did come up with his own sound and style. And his lyrics are blissfully happy and somewhat clever.

"I've been to the dentist a thousand times so I know the drill." lol
i think that was me.

as far as his own style and sound i'm not so sure about that....(postal service???) i want to like it but this kid is just trying to hard.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Actually she's not. I've seen her perform it live, and she's using a plain old vocoder controlled from her keytar.
i'm not talking about what she uses live. i'm talking about what she used on the record. which was an old digitech vocalist. trust me...thumbsup

here is a quote from her.

“My favorite computer blew up on me,” Heap explains. “But I didn't want to leave the studio without having done anything that day. I saw the [DigiTech Vocalist Workstation] on a shelf and just plugged it into my little 4-track MiniDisc with my mic and my keyboard and pressed Record. The first thing that I sang was those first few lines, ‘Where are we? What the hell is going on?’ I set the vocalist to a four-note polyphony, so even if I play 10 notes on the keyboard, it will only choose four of them. It's quite nicely surprising when it comes back with a strange combination. When it gets really high in the second chorus, that's a result of it choosing higher rather than low notes, so I ended up going even higher to compensate, above the chord. I recorded it in, like, four-and-a-half minutes, and it ended up on the album in exactly the structure of how it came out of me then. I love it because it doesn't feel like my song. It just came out of nowhere, and I'm not questioning that one at all.”
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
Nicki Minaj
And she raps even better than she looks.. which is crazy. Girl is killin' em out there.. got my vote
Old 22nd November 2009
Here for the gear

Imogen Heap live

The DigiTech Vocalist Workstation that you mentioned earlier that Imogen Heap uses on "Hide and Seek" is kind of a vocoder. The device is meant to accompany live performers with a "chorus" making a chord, using the performer's voice and tuning it to the pitches in the chord. The device also has MIDI in, so that a keyboardist can "dictate" the chord of the singer's voice.

SO, the device is meant for live purposes, but she chose a preset that makes her voice sound like it was processed by a vocoder! SO she uses the Digitech Workstation for live purposes aswell. (I think i saw it on top of her keyboards in a live studio performance she did that was posted on youtube.)

I was reading this thread cuz i wasn't sure if Owl City used a vocoder (which on second thought makes no sense), and saw that you guys needed to know about Imo.

Hope this helps!
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Addict

Its really just hardcore autotuned/melodyned. Nothing else. not a stray note in there at all..... I've heard the session. just harmonies of pitch perfect vocals. and in the really prominent points they used a sidechained delay on the main vox to make the delay come out much louder when he wasn't singing...
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Addict

So, she's basically still using a vocoder... Just a Digitech branded one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel486 View Post
The DigiTech Vocalist Workstation that you mentioned earlier that Imogen Heap uses on "Hide and Seek" is kind of a vocoder. The device is meant to accompany live performers with a "chorus" making a chord, using the performer's voice and tuning it to the pitches in the chord. The device also has MIDI in, so that a keyboardist can "dictate" the chord of the singer's voice.

SO, the device is meant for live purposes, but she chose a preset that makes her voice sound like it was processed by a vocoder! SO she uses the Digitech Workstation for live purposes aswell. (I think i saw it on top of her keyboards in a live studio performance she did that was posted on youtube.)

I was reading this thread cuz i wasn't sure if Owl City used a vocoder (which on second thought makes no sense), and saw that you guys needed to know about Imo.

Hope this helps!
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

nope, it's a digitech branded "harmonizer".
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Addict

postal service for dummies
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ether88 View Post
postal service for dummies
I thought Postal Service was Postal Service for dummies.

- c
Old 3rd October 2011
Here for the gear

Melodyne

He uses melodyne on his vocals
Old 4th October 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Eiseman View Post

You have teached me a lots now, thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search