The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should I buy Autotune Evo or Autotune Vocal Studio w/ EVO & AVOX? Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 17th November 2009
  #1
Gear Head
 

Should I buy Autotune Evo or Autotune Vocal Studio w/ EVO & AVOX?

I'm not an engineer, I'm a recording artist looking to buy plugins to use when I go to different studios, so I'm not as knowledgeable about all these products as the rest of you.

I have melodyne, and a very basic autotune but I want for effects going on so I'm going to buy Autotune EVO. But, I'm wondering if I should spend about 150 more and buy Autotune Vocal Studio which includes evo and AVOX.

Avox seems to have some neat features but not many talk about it so I'm not sure if it's worth it or if I'd be fine with just EVO. And this investment isn't going into a studio business, so I can't just throw around money like nothing.

Thoughts? THanks in advance for the help.
Old 17th November 2009
  #2
Gear Head
 

You should absitively, posolutely NOT use autotune.

my 2c

what do you want it for? t-pain style electro-vox that are all the rage these days? or do you just want to do some slight pitch correction for singing parts? or is it some other function of autotune that i don't know about?
Old 18th November 2009
  #3
Gear Head
 

I'm not going to T-pain... But I'm going for special effects and stuff that we're trying to develop on our own (me and the engineer).

I'm not jumping on the t-pain thing, that's stupid. But, we're looking for something good for making good vocals. Similar to Jason Derulo in whatcha say. He has a nice autotune effect on it that's not stupid like tpains.
Old 28th January 2010
  #4
I'm selling my rack autotuner and wouldn't mind replacing it with the plug. I'll be using it for both pitch correction and on occasion, the cher effect. Which is the best version to grab.

PS, I have Melodyne 3, this is just for prepro/effect/bass tuning/on the fly.
Old 29th January 2010
  #5
I bought Vocal Studio last year thinking I would use it a lot. Turns out I never use anything but Autotune. I messed with Duo, Throat and Choir a little bit but wasn't impressed.
Old 29th January 2010
  #6
Gear Addict
 
Freematik's Avatar
 

I haven't found the other EVO plugins very useful on a daily basis. I've used them for some special FX, but they definitely aren't what most people would consider their "bread and butter" tools.

I'd save the money, just get Auto-tune (whatever to the haters, all studios that work on rap and hip hop should have it, because it was the artist wants, not what your opinion is), and if you have money left over, then invest in some other plugins that would help a lot more, like the softtube CL-1B or Waves Vocal Rider or something like that.
Old 29th January 2010
  #7
Gear Addict
 
MotifStudios's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freematik View Post
I haven't found the other EVO plugins very useful on a daily basis. I've used them for some special FX, but they definitely aren't what most people would consider their "bread and butter" tools.

I'd save the money, just get Auto-tune (whatever to the haters, all studios that work on rap and hip hop should have it, because it was the artist wants, not what your opinion is), and if you have money left over, then invest in some other plugins that would help a lot more, like the softtube CL-1B or Waves Vocal Rider or something like that.
thumbsup

Don't worry about people saying "don't use autotune" lol. End of the day it's your choice.

I use autotune Evo in a home setup and it does the job fine for me. Worth saving the extra leftover on other plugs.
Old 29th January 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberry View Post
I'm not going to T-pain... But I'm going for special effects and stuff that we're trying to develop on our own (me and the engineer).

I'm not jumping on the t-pain thing, that's stupid. But, we're looking for something good for making good vocals. Similar to Jason Derulo in whatcha say. He has a nice autotune effect on it that's not stupid like tpains.
f*** autotune
Be creative homie and try and be original and find your own identity.
Old 31st January 2010
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
f*** autotune
Be creative homie and try and be original and find your own identity.
No disrespect, because normally I enjoy your posts... but you're way off base on this one.

Basically saying "**** autotune" and be original is your opinion, correct? This kind of clashes with your signature, in which you state "Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one."

I don't get the big deal with Autotune. It's a cool little effect. This, too, will pass.... I don't get the big deal?

I would have loved to have been on this board in 1999. Would everyone have been dissing dog barks in their music?

Gearslutz shouldn't just be the place to post when you want to stand in the face of mainstream culture. It should be the place to discuss gear. And in this particular forum, hip hop/rap production.
Old 31st January 2010
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician View Post
No disrespect, because normally I enjoy your posts... but you're way off base on this one.

Basically saying "**** autotune" and be original is your opinion, correct? This kind of clashes with your signature, in which you state "Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one."

I don't get the big deal with Autotune. It's a cool little effect. This, too, will pass.... I don't get the big deal?

I would have loved to have been on this board in 1999. Would everyone have been dissing dog barks in their music?

Gearslutz shouldn't just be the place to post when you want to stand in the face of mainstream culture. It should be the place to discuss gear. And in this particular forum, hip hop/rap production.
I disagree, your off base. Autotune is horrible, and only acceptable in pop music because it already sucks. (that's why no one complains when Cher/Britney/Miley do it). I 100% agree with Philly. Quit nut jocking whatever fad is on the radio and make good music.
Old 31st January 2010
  #11
Gear Addict
 
alyricalmind's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberry View Post
not stupid like tpains.
I don't see why everyone on Gearslutz seems to be hating on auto-tune in mainstream music. T Pain has some pretty catchy songs and in the end I don't give a **** if it's autotuned or not as long as it sounds good.

Songs such as

Down by Jay Sean
Bartender by T Pain
Amazing by Kanye West

are all great songs and without the autotune effect they wouldn't have the same vybe. It's the in style of the new millenium.

Sure, it's not to a lot of y'all older folks liking but that doesn't mean it's plain "stupid". I prefer "different".
Old 31st January 2010
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstig View Post
I disagree, your off base. Autotune is horrible, and only acceptable in pop music because it already sucks. (that's why no one complains when Cher/Britney/Miley do it). I 100% agree with Philly. Quit nut jocking whatever fad is on the radio and make good music.
Good music to who... you? Please.

Grumpy old washed up producers around here, I tell ya.

I'm sorry... I'll go back to sampling "hiss" over some coltrain samples and have someone do spoken-word over it. Because that's "REAL" hip-hop.

Well, unfortunately I REALLY need to pay my car payment, mortgage, utilities, etc. So I don't mind a little autotune. And it's catchy. Radio fad? Maybe. Better sounding than your same old 1990's crap? Definitely.
Old 31st January 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
jbrown1music's Avatar
get the basic autotune thats all u need if going for that sound
Old 1st February 2010
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician View Post
Good music to who... you? Please.

Grumpy old washed up producers around here, I tell ya.

I'm sorry... I'll go back to sampling "hiss" over some coltrain samples and have someone do spoken-word over it. Because that's "REAL" hip-hop.

Well, unfortunately I REALLY need to pay my car payment, mortgage, utilities, etc. So I don't mind a little autotune. And it's catchy. Radio fad? Maybe. Better sounding than your same old 1990's crap? Definitely.
People like you are why music is collectively in the gutter. Money is not a good reason to make music, love of music is! I challenge you to name me one song using autotune that you won't be embarrased to listen to in front of people in ten years. And not using autotune has nothing to do with sampling and 90's boom bap, what makes you. Think that I was referencing that? I love all types of music btw just not ****ty talentless music.$
Old 1st February 2010
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

Nay, sir. Did I say that's what I prefer to listen to? Nay, I say. I did say it was catchy.

It sure is what makes money, right this second. I don't make music for money. It's a hobby. I happen to get paid for it. And there have been plenty of fad's over the last 15 years of hip-hop. I would not at all be embarassed to listen to "anything that uses autotune" 10 years from now or whenever.

Collectively, music is not in the gutter. That is your opinion. You like one style of music, and just because that's not what kids are screaming over, you're salty.

You don't see the polka forums blowing up over the fact that Miley wont do a polka single and neither will Sean Kingston. It's because they DGAF.

At the end of the day, you came into a thread where the OP asks about Autotune, only to slam autotune... further lowering this message forums technical value.

And you know what.. for the record... I actually like stuff produced on Beluga Heights, CMB, etc. I think the Autotune stuff sounds decent over the right track. I also like alot more underground stuff like Tech N9ne, Royce, etc. Guess what... I'ver heard autotune alot in the underground. Better find out WTFZUP with that!
Old 1st February 2010
  #16
Gear Nut
 
AudioRecorder's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAppliedLife View Post
You should absitively, posolutely NOT use autotune.
NO WAY!tutt

Auto-Tune is one of the best tools, for many reasons & not for making b.s. t-pain sounds!
Old 1st February 2010
  #17
Gear Nut
 
AudioRecorder's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstig View Post
People like you are why music is collectively in the gutter. Money is not a good reason to make music, love of music is! I challenge you to name me one song using autotune that you won't be embarrased to listen to in front of people in ten years. And not using autotune has nothing to do with sampling and 90's boom bap, what makes you. Think that I was referencing that? I love all types of music btw just not ****ty talentless music.$
The majority of the time auto-tune is used so the listener can not hear the correction. The T-Pain effect is just over using auto-tune & using it as an effect. There are so many apps for auto-tune the possibilities are endless!
Old 23rd May 2010
  #18
Does anyone use Autotune on horns? I have an old version (4) and it's fine and dandy on backing vocals or an occasional word, but awful on horns.
Old 25th May 2010
  #19
Lives for gear
 
MERC476's Avatar
 

If a paying client tells you they want the "T-Pain" effect on their voice, do you as the engineer tell them "that ****'s played out man....nah...i ain't gonna do that ****. Be original mother ****er"? Well....I don't know about yall but I got's to feed my fam, a car note, rent and a mortgage to pay. Whatever the client wants is what I give them. Believe it or not, they'll go somewhere else and say "that bull**** as engineer at the last studio i went to didn't even wanna autotune me". To each is own. Just my .02
Old 25th May 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 
MERC476's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown1music View Post
get the basic autotune thats all u need if going for that sound

Oh yeah...and this is the answer to your question.
Old 8th November 2011
  #21
Gear Nut
 
Succulence's Avatar
Autotune on Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskervils View Post
Does anyone use Autotune on horns? I have an old version (4) and it's fine and dandy on backing vocals or an occasional word, but awful on horns.
I've recorded a few albums for a ska/punk/reggae band that had two trombones and a trumpet on nearly every one of their songs. Autotune worked fine for me on horns, with only the occasional quiet notes that couldn't be detected and tuned.
Old 9th November 2011
  #22
Gear Addict
 
Tha Govna's Avatar
 

As has been pointed out, for what you're buying it for, I'd skip purchasing the whole bundle.

Also, auto-tune is a GREAT tool. That "T-Pain" effect is but one of many uses for it.

AudioRecorder has it right. People often seem to forget it called "Auto-tune" not the "T-Pain Effect".

...iZotope actually makes the latter. Lol!

When you get it, spend as much time as you can getting comfy with the graphical mode.

Auto mode is cool, and useful, but the graphical mode is where you put in work IMO.
Old 9th November 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
sftd's Avatar
 

Just get Reason 6.

Even if you only use it for Neptune you'll have spent the same amount of money, got a moar-badass pitch correction utility, and a whole world of sound as a tag-along.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 9th November 2011
  #24
Gear Nut
 

I have the full package. I might use a couple of them every now and then, but Evo is the only one that I would really miss if they went away. I don't even use Evo that much for that matter.
Old 9th November 2011
  #25
Man I hope the OP made his decision by now. That was 2 years ago.
Old 18th May 2013
  #26
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freematik View Post
I haven't found the other EVO plugins very useful on a daily basis. I've used them for some special FX, but they definitely aren't what most people would consider their "bread and butter" tools.
That's exactly how I look at them. And I can't say I use them much at all. BUT that said, I still think they're pretty cool. I consider them my highly-sophisticated, spy gear. I've used them to completely alter my voice on little skits and what not. Ferris Bueller would KILLED for such cool sh--. lol But, yeah, not something you always reach for.
Old 7th July 2013
  #27
Here for the gear
 

Let's see - "I disagree, your off base" and "name one song you won't be embarrased to listen to in ten years".

Looks like the haters dropped out of school in fourth grade, so I'm not going to take their criticism too seriously. The single "s" in embarassed might have been a typo, but not knowing the difference between your and you're really is embarrassing.
Old 7th July 2013
  #28
RTR
Lives for gear
 
RTR's Avatar
auto tune is so last year...grab the studder edit, I am hearing it all over the crappy pop songs on the radio!
Old 7th July 2013
  #29
Gear Maniac
 

I have both Autotune and Melodyne. Autotune, I only have for the occasions someone else is using our studio, as I only use Melodyne myself as I like it much more than Autotune. Also the DNA is incredible, can easily fix guitar chord which are slightly out of tune with the rest of a song. And you can get creative with it and too.

Recently we needed to transpose a semitone in a song as the song modulated from D major to D#major and the guitarist would either have to stop and play the second half with a capo or use bar-chords rather than open chords. We just recorded the D major parts and transposed the audio with the Melodyne polyphonic algorithm.

These tools are very useful, not only on vocals. I really don't get all the tuning haters. It contradicts every thing else we do in music these days.

It's ok to use a compressor to fix to loud articulations, it's ok to use a de-esser, it's ok to do quantizing to fix timing issues, but it's not ok to fix slight tuning issues ?

So musicians might be slightly off, no problem. We stretch, pitch and quantize MIDI recordings all the time without anyone complaining. But a singer cannot be off or it's a disgrace ??

I'd rather fix some notes on a vocal if the feel and emotion is ok, than to re-take parts over and over till it's on key but all the magic is gone.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Igotsoul4u / Music Computers
5
Mayberry / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
6
pdiddy boy / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
4
waynejoshua / Product Alerts older than 2 months
2
raal / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump