The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is It Me Or....
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Is It Me Or....

....are alot of the hip hop forum threads getting more stupid than ever??
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I very much agree!

The thing about it is the title looks interesting then when you read the actual post its like i wasted 20 seconds of my life.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

We've discussed most things that need discussing.. and Tony smashes a lot of threads.. probably this one too.

later
Old 17th November 2009
i think GS in general has really gone to the dogs.
it's been dying slowly but the last 6-12 months it has really taken a downward spiral.
it doesn't stop me hanging out here though!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I think many people are starting to see that hip-hop is not happening right now. The radio is so f'd. I can't stand to listen to it and when I do hear an "alright" song, I can't tell who the hell made it as all the songs sound the same.
Old 17th November 2009
Deleted #29527
I couldn´t agree more! I find myself visiting this board much less than I used to because of that.
This is the only/last board I visit, but even this one has had quite a few bad moments lately...
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

I just keep wondering why people would call jokers like Lil Wayne or Kayne hiphop. They're just pop artists with some now-RNB influences. Nothing to do with hiphop imo.

And yes, PSM, the threads are getting more stupid every day. But I think that the stupidity of the questions correlates nicely with the type of 'music' an OP wishes to create (or.. produce ) All that 'what mic do I need for HIPHOP' or 'what synth does Kayne use' . Bullshit. You can probably make all the sounds from nowadays 'hiphop albums' with one synth. Just make sure it has a sawtooth. And a gate. People ask these stupid questions, because they are the 'Google-generation' as I call them. Type in a phrase and if you don't instantly find it with the top three results, it doesn't exist. No drive to put some hard work in or some decent studying. They just want to spent a 100 bucks and ride the fametrain. They're dreaming about ho's and weed and not about music, chords, or scales.

Blech! I had some 17 year old nephews in my car the other day, who claim to be mad hiphop cats. I was playing Public Enemy - Fear of a black planet out of my car stereo and they actually asked if i had any good rap music.

What is the world coming to...

PS. Nice Milgram sig!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredYeah View Post
I just keep wondering why people would call jokers like Lil Wayne or Kayne hiphop. They're just pop artists with some now-RNB influences. Nothing to do with hiphop imo.

And yes, PSM, the threads are getting more stupid every day. But I think that the stupidity of the questions correlates nicely with the type of 'music' an OP wishes to create (or.. produce ) All that 'what mic do I need for HIPHOP' or 'what synth does Kayne use' . Bullshit. You can probably make all the sounds from nowadays 'hiphop albums' with one synth. Just make sure it has a sawtooth. And a gate. People ask these stupid questions, because they are the 'Google-generation' as I call them. Type in a phrase and if you don't instantly find it with the top three results, it doesn't exist. No drive to put some hard work in or some decent studying. They just want to spent a 100 bucks and ride the fametrain. They're dreaming about ho's and weed and not about music, chords, or scales.

Blech! I had some 17 year old nephews in my car the other day, who claim to be mad hiphop cats. I was playing Public Enemy - Fear of a black planet out of my car stereo and they actually asked if i had any good rap music.

PS. Nice Milgram sig!
Hi Fred...great commentary and so spot on.

PSM
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

yep
It's the reason I don't frequent here as often anymore. And Chris Lago, of course....his personal campaign scared me off.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yep, we need some new genre classification titles. And most importantly, the media has to embrace these. Jason Derulo is euro pop heh, not hip hop.

Quote:

PS. Nice Milgram sig!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

PS. Nice Milgram sig!
Greatttt post...only 1 thing, U forgot about mentioning "the T-Pain effect

Good thread PSM; now I see why I mainly visit the DUC & rarely GS nowadays
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS View Post
Greatttt post...only 1 thing, U forgot about mentioning "the T-Pain effect

Good thread PSM; now I see why I mainly visit the DUC & rarely GS nowadays
Yep..the dreaded T Pain-in-the-ass effect.

yeccchhh!!!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Also

What's up with all the cute little teenagers putting models in their avatar? I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoy eyecandy just as much and yes it's better than half naked men....But on an audio forum to have glamour models in your avatar.....I dunno, man. Are you guys missing something in your lives?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrmusic View Post
Yep, we need some new genre classification titles. And most importantly, the media has to embrace these. Jason Derulo is euro pop heh, not hip hop.
Re your sig...it could also be too many guys named "Bruce"
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master View Post
Also

What's up with all the cute little teenagers putting models in their avatar? I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoy eyecandy just as much and yes it's better than half naked men....But on an audio forum to have glamour models in your avatar.....I dunno, man. Are you guys missing something in your lives?
wannabe producers and wanna be pimps
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Re your sig...it could also be too many guys named "Bruce"
They say their own name a lot?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master View Post
Also

and yeah the neverending 'what synth did poducah x use' threads are tedious. everyone should stop jocking/biting, or find a new line of work.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Guru

GS, like everything else in life, goes thru cycles. Sometimes it's a bit dull and the static rises. Sometimes it gets edgy and everybody gets their panties in a twist over the stupidest sh¡t, bickering like little girls and bringing every single thread to its knees. Sometimes there are more good threads than I can keep up with and the discussion is inspiring, illuminating, or just plain odd in a good way.

This forum does seem to be heavily skewed towards neophytes, and it seems less about engineering & production than about sound design, beatmaking, and biting (a term which, I confess, I learned from this forum). Which is a bummer because for a while there hiphop had some of the sweetest, most interesting and innovative production going.

But if you want to up the discussion level, start some good threads, put some meat on the table. Me, I'm getting into some seriously filthy dub lately, which is a hell of a shift because I use to dislike all things reggae with a passion matched only for my dislike of modern country. But as with dirty basement funk of the early 70's, I have a growing obsession with small, dry sounds mixed dark and distorted.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

The easiest thing to do is to simply not respond to any of these stupid threads. Just ignore them. That's what I'm tyring to do myself. It's not worth anybody's time to reply to the bs, so just let it pass by your attention like you (hopefully) do with all the penis enlargement spam in your email inbox.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
GS, like everything else in life, goes thru cycles. Sometimes it's a bit dull and the static rises. Sometimes it gets edgy and everybody gets their panties in a twist over the stupidest sh¡t, bickering like little girls and bringing every single thread to its knees. Sometimes there are more good threads than I can keep up with and the discussion is inspiring, illuminating, or just plain odd in a good way.

This forum does seem to be heavily skewed towards neophytes, and it seems less about engineering & production than about sound design, beatmaking, and biting (a term which, I confess, I learned from this forum). Which is a bummer because for a while there hiphop had some of the sweetest, most interesting and innovative production going.

But if you want to up the discussion level, start some good threads, put some meat on the table. Me, I'm getting into some seriously filthy dub lately, which is a hell of a shift because I use to dislike all things reggae with a passion matched only for my dislike of modern country. But as with dirty basement funk of the early 70's, I have a growing obsession with small, dry sounds mixed dark and distorted.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Greg,
Do you have that great Augustus Pablo set including dvd footage, which Shanachie issued?
If not,please check it out.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Check this video.... LOL

Nuff said...

Mastering - The Movie
Old 17th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
But if you want to up the discussion level, start some good threads, put some meat on the table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by korbes View Post
The easiest thing to do is to simply not respond to any of these stupid threads. Just ignore them.
Closed
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear