The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Guitar mud factor
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Guitar mud factor

Hi! I've just done some hip-hop mix based almost enterily on hard drive guitars, and had some hard times to make creative decision on sound of the song. So I just want to ask is it possible to leave lo mids on guitar tracks to bring mo raw sound without being too muddy? Or it's always better to cut that ish??
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gans Ja View Post
Hi! I've just done some hip-hop mix based almost enterily on hard drive guitars, and had some hard times to make creative decision on sound of the song. So I just want to ask is it possible to leave lo mids on guitar tracks to bring mo raw sound without being too muddy? Or it's always better to cut that ish??
hi pass filter to taste
Old 17th November 2009
If the guitars were properly recorded, you should barely have to do any EQ at all. The most common mistake I come across (and make!heh) is putting the mic too close to the cab. That picks up too much low end and way too much lower midrange; all the EQ in the world won't make that guitar sound great. You might just be stuck neutering the low mids to make it fit into the track.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

this is why tracking direct and reamping later (as a safety) can be a god send.

Have the player play into the amp of choice, mic it etc...
but also mult it direct into the computer.

If the recording sucks (or you realize it later that it wont cut it) then you can reamp it thru the amp with better mic placement without recalling the player.

If I don't have an amp available, then I have the player track direct with amp sims at 1.4 ms latency in monitor mode (SACRILEGE!!) and then record the output of my monitors to capture some air. Sounds a WHOLE lot different than direct into the plugin. Usually alot less mud this way too. I like my Royer modded Oktava MK319 on this duty, however a SM57/58 works good as well or a Little Blondie mic.

As far as muddy guitars, well there is this period of time called the 70s and this music called punk lol.

Peace
Illumination
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

example

Thank you!thumbsup
I don't know how guitars was recorded, but I believe that was not hi end gear. I just got wav tracks from rock group. I did not do much eq with them, just to fit my concept of the song. I see that song sounds kinda "raw", and I'm just curious isn't that TOO raw or lo mid muddy. So I decided to post a snippet of that mix.
I don't really have much experiance with guitars, so it's important for me to know if I get it right.
Attached Files

Getout-GansJa_master1-cut.mp3 (1.97 MB, 142 views)

Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

i'd look more into eq'ing the kick...
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle View Post
i'd look more into eq'ing the kick...
Yeah and it seems to reside in a very detached sonic space too.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

lol I like that kick. Didn't think that it can be troublesome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
As far as muddy guitars, well there is this period of time called the 70s and this music called punk lol.
Yeah. Just a lil some of that wibe is what I wanted to be present in the song))
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

if you like it then go for it. just seems like it is eating the track to me. it's all about frequency/tonal balance.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

there's some freq competition going on there that's causing some distortion type buildup that ain't guitar related.

Sounds like the bass and the guitars are fighting with that kick.

Mix is not too shabby. However, I would definitely work on the bass guitar relationship if you're going to keep that mid knocky kick thing whatever that is there.
Russian Hip hop eh? I'm with it.

My cousin Nikitas Klint (X Ray) is from Greece, he's in this band call Rodes, they're kinda famous. This music kind of reminds me of him.

Peace
Illumination
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
there's some freq competition going on there that's causing some distortion type buildup that ain't guitar related.

Sounds like the bass and the guitars are fighting with that kick.

Mix is not too shabby. However, I would definitely work on the bass guitar relationship if you're going to keep that mid knocky kick thing whatever that is there.
Russian Hip hop eh? I'm with it.

My cousin Nikitas Klint (X Ray) is from Greece, he's in this band call Rodes, they're kinda famous. This music kind of reminds me of him.

Peace
Illumination
Thank you! thumbsup
I feel that freq competition too at some point. much time I spend on that bass lol. I tryed to make it cut on small speakers too, may be because of that it may compete with kick.. Thanks once again! So it seems guitars is not such a difficult thang?...
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gans Ja View Post
Thank you! thumbsup
I feel that freq competition too at some point. much time I spend on that bass lol. I tryed to make it cut on small speakers too, may be because of that it may compete with kick.. Thanks once again! So it seems guitars is not such a difficult thang?...
for me, the low end is the hardest thing to get "right". once it is there, the rest is a piece of cake!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear
The bass guitar is what makes your distorted guitars sound big. Keep that in mind. You want to distort it also and make sure the 2 are not clashing. Good guitars that sound huge are recorded by being played 2 to 4 times and played through each time, not doubled. They also have low to medium distortion so when they are all put together they really get big. If they were tracked wrong, you are screwed unless you have DI tracks you can reamp.

Guitars are all about the engineering.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
hi pass filter to taste
totally.

the 250hz range can often be turned down to taste as well
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear