The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What equipement should I buy (mainly keyboard) ?
Old 17th November 2009
What equipement should I buy (mainly keyboard) ?

Hello, I am a new but driven hip hop composer and I want to get really good, but I need some help. I am just starting out and I'm not to familiar with which equipment is good for hip hop.

- I'm interested in producing beats somewhere along the lines of dre/eminem
- I'm using FL studio and am experimenting with Ableton Live
- At the moment I'm using a crappy little M audio Oxygen 16 key keyboard (it can only take me so far =/ ) but my computer/speakers are top of the line
- A decent 200$ mic, will upgrade eventually (audiotechnica maybe?)

What keyboard should I get? I want to spend somewhere in the 600 - 800 dollar range for one. I was thinking about to get a *used* Korg M50 because I heard it is good but I don't really have any insight as to whether it's good for what I want to do or not.

Also is there any other equipment I should consider getting? And what kind of sounds should I download/buy? I have Cakewalk Dimension pro, but that's not really what I'm looking for (and half of them don't even work).

These are the kind on instrumentals I would like to compose:

YouTube - Eminem- rock bottom
YouTube - Dr. Dre - Detox - If I Get Locked Up Tonight (Feat.Eminem)

I've been playing piano for 10 years and have done theory. I'm familiar with how to compose music, but am completely new to how to make electronic beats. Any other information anyone could give me would be extremely helpful.

Thanks for the help
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

You need a keyboard that will sample as well as provide all the bread and butter sounds you will need to make backing tracks. Roland Fantom X,G or Yamaha XS will be the best bet. If you can't afford these yet, keep using what you got until you can. The worse mistake you can make is buying a keyboard that can't sample as sampling is essential to hip-hop. I'm talking being able to load up wavs/aiffs of drums, claps, snares, and other musical elements like explosions, bells, etc. Also these workstations allows you to use mics and guitars to be inputted for incorporating live instrumentation. Can't be that.
Old 17th November 2009
Thanks for your Input MikeyMike.
Is this along the lines of what you were recommending?

http://shyan.in/Products/FANTOMX6/Images/top_L.jpg

It doesn't cost too much, I think I'll manage.

Anyone else have any answers?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 131242313424 View Post
Thanks for your Input MikeyMike.
Is this along the lines of what you were recommending?

http://shyan.in/Products/FANTOMX6/Images/top_L.jpg

It doesn't cost too much, I think I'll manage.

Anyone else have any answers?
Yep...go to your local music emporium and try some out,and then decide for yourself.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
You need a keyboard that will sample as well as provide all the bread and butter sounds you will need to make backing tracks. Roland Fantom X,G or Yamaha XS will be the best bet. If you can't afford these yet, keep using what you got until you can. The worse mistake you can make is buying a keyboard that can't sample as sampling is essential to hip-hop. I'm talking being able to load up wavs/aiffs of drums, claps, snares, and other musical elements like explosions, bells, etc. Also these workstations allows you to use mics and guitars to be inputted for incorporating live instrumentation. Can't be that.
why not just buy a keyboard like a mo6 and a dedicated sampler? if samples are that important i mean. some people would rather not use samples. i personally love dedicated samplers.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton View Post
why not just buy a keyboard like a mo6 and a dedicated sampler? if samples are that important i mean. some people would rather not use samples. i personally love dedicated samplers.
Why go that route when you can have all the convience in one workstation. If you go the dedicated sampler route, then you got to do all the midi integration to trigger the samples and that can be aggravating and time consuming.
Old 18th November 2009
Goals And Intentions

You say that you are a well trained pianist? Great. The hip-hop and music world in general needs more MUSIC and less BEATS.

I suggest getting your pen and paper and deciding what you are trying to accomplish with the gear. Is it a hobby? Is it a serious attempt at a career? Is it a scetch pad where you will then go to a larger better outfitted studio to complete tracks?

From there you need to figure out what other elements will NEED to be involved. For instance.

If you produce, is there a true need for you to have an $800 mic?
If you sing or rap and do "beats" would you be better off with out an MPC, and go for a great mic, a preamp, and converters with a good 2 channell interface?

If you dont plan on sampling much, then most programs will cover you when you do decide to sample. But if your a heavy sample based guy, then maybe you should buy an MPC.

Do you need Pro-Tools or Cubase, or is a good Sequencer enough like Reason or Fruity?

Dont spend money shooting in the dark. Sit down and plan it out. And with that, I allways recomend buying gear that is a few years ahead of you, to grow into it. No sense in buying a 2 channell interface, when your in a full 7 piece band, and on the opposite no sense in buying a 24 input mixer, when you only rap as a solo artist.

i can give you a grocery list through PM if youd like after you explain exactly what your trying to get accomplished.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
Why go that route when you can have all the convience in one workstation. If you go the dedicated sampler route, then you got to do all the midi integration to trigger the samples and that can be aggravating and time consuming.
I prefer dedicated samplers personally. And lets not pretend like midi is a difficult concept when dealing with 2 devices. some devices may be more annoying than others but its not rocket science if you read the manual.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
lets not pretend like midi is a difficult concept when dealing with 2 devices. .
You obviously haven't read any of the "How do I get my MPC to work with my XYZ sequencer" threads that seem to pop up every week on this very forum!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpel View Post
You obviously haven't read any of the "How do I get my MPC to work with my XYZ sequencer" threads that seem to pop up every week on this very forum!
[humor]

What's a sequencer? I thought people made beats on FL8. Maybe I should start a thread asking for an explination of this...hehhehhehheh

[/humor]
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpel View Post
they didnt rftm so that makes it hard for them
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
[humor]

What's a sequencer? I thought people made beats on FL8. Maybe I should start a thread asking for an explination of this...hehhehhehheh

[/humor]
I think it's like one of those step sequencers but in physical form heh
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
they didnt rftm so that makes it hard for them
Exactly! On more than one occasion, I've been tempted to chime in with some help, and then thought to myself... Sh*t! This is music production 101!

READ THE F*CKING MANUAL!!
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Head

Moooooooooooogggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by drethe5th View Post

If you dont plan on sampling much, then most programs will cover you when you do decide to sample. But if your a heavy sample based guy, then maybe you should buy an MPC.

Do you need Pro-Tools or Cubase, or is a good Sequencer enough like Reason or Fruity?
i really like what your gettin at here dre.

I would recommend saving up a few more bucks, and getting an MPC if sampling is your thing.
I personally use Reason and have an MPK49 by AKAI, a midi/usb controller keyboard that works perfect for what i need the keys for and use reason as a sound bank. For sampling? well that would be the beautiful mpc4000.

as dre stated, its all about what your trying to really go for you know?
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

I would avoid trying to make Eminem/Dre type beats. Those guys already do that. If you are "driven", as you say, then try to find your own style. That's much more important than any piece of equipment you could buy.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Head

+1 to fool proof
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooloof View Post
I would avoid trying to make Eminem/Dre type beats. Those guys already do that. If you are "driven", as you say, then try to find your own style. That's much more important than any piece of equipment you could buy.
let him make what inspires him. most people start off biting their favorite producers before they find their own identity
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Get a Miko or Dbeat and be done with the chase....you won't be sorry

Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
let him make what inspires him. most people start off biting their favorite producers before they find their own identity
good point
Old 28th November 2009
Thanks for the advice everyone
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear