The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dre`s "Housewife"(2001) - why that hifrequency noise in the chorus
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Dre`s "Housewife"(2001) - why that hifrequency noise in the chorus

????
Production decision or compromise in the mixing stage (like correcting super dull improperlu tracked vocals, which seems to be doubtful to me since Dre`s such a perfectionist)?
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Definitely a production decision. I think it sounds ok. The rest of the sonics on the the track are perfect as usual. Feel like listening to some parliament funk after that one.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Good ear. It's definitely up there!
These guys are prb. using really nice mic's; Sony C800G, etc.

I like that HF stuff in the choruses. When it hits, this whole new frequency range suddenly becomes apparent. It sounds like it would've worked with a little less, however...
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Have you guys heard Lady Gaga choruses? bad romance... or pretty much half the stuff on radio these days, Its like some one put pink noise and filtered out the low end and has it triggered with the chorus vocals... ive noticed it on heaps of modern songs... maybe its those waves plug-ins...

Suda
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

if u r referring to the airy "tsssss" noise in that track its def a production decision. i remember the first time i heard that track, i was in my buddy's car and he damn near pulled over cuz he thought his stereo was acting up. pretty funny
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

sounds to me like the filter setting on the moog sounding lead, i think am right in saying it only shows up when the lead comes in which of cause is in the chorus. A high res setting will do that. It can be set to do the same lead without it so yes it's a production decision for sure.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
????
Production decision or compromise in the mixing stage (like correcting super dull improperlu tracked vocals, which seems to be doubtful to me since Dre`s such a perfectionist)?

That tripped me out the first time I heard it. Like whoa **** guys what the **** is that do you hear that. I think that's why he did it.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Hahahahahhahahahaha I think he means that line of white noise *lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbender. View Post
Good ear. It's definitely up there!
These guys are prb. using really nice mic's; Sony C800G, etc.

I like that HF stuff in the choruses. When it hits, this whole new frequency range suddenly becomes apparent. It sounds like it would've worked with a little less, however...
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

An old thread bump, I know,
It seems that Kurupt's chorus vocals had been recorded somewhere not in the studio with little high-end so that had to be added in spades at the mixing stage, which lifted the noisefloor.
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Even The Chronic in general is a pretty bright record overall (especially for its time)β€”I remember it being actually painful blasting in the car with subs during some sections.
Old 3rd September 2018
Gear Nut

Definitely on purpose. Thought everyone knew this? I never thought it was strange or anything. It always sounded like butter on a hot pan or something to me but never really put too much mind to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee View Post
sounds to me like the filter setting on the moog sounding lead, i think am right in saying it only shows up when the lead comes in which of cause is in the chorus. A high res setting will do that. It can be set to do the same lead without it so yes it's a production decision for sure.
That lead was added later for Chronic 2001. The original on Kurupts album doesn't have the lead but still has the sizzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
An old thread bump, I know,
It seems that Kurupt's chorus vocals had been recorded somewhere not in the studio with little high-end so that had to be added in spades at the mixing stage, which lifted the noisefloor.
Although Kurupts version was most likely recorded elsewhere (just listen to the intro how he's talking to Dre about finishing the song) it still had the hiss. So the hiss was there before Chronic 2001.
Old 4th September 2018
Here for the gear

This is an obvious sonic production decision. Same as as when a drummer goes to the ride cymbal in the chorus and then back to the hihat in the verse
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear