KRK VXT8 monitors
2x Technics 1200 (using Shure m44gs)
1x Rane TTm56
Rane Serato SL-3
MPC 2500
new Windows 7 64bit PC
around 1000 vinyl

I'm looking at getting:
  1. Echo Audiofire 12 (for recording MPC 8 outs, TTM56 2 outs and sound module outs etc. and also as digital mixer?)
  2. Reaper 64bit (and some plug ins for compression, synth sounds etc)
  3. Some sort of sound module/modules mainly for bass sounds? (At the moment I'm just sampling, I'd like something more I can keep for a few years and get better at over time)
  4. Rack mount radio with good sound quality (just for chilling and catching some local shows)
  5. A needle for sampling and digitising records

I've been making boom-bappy, early 90's style hip-hop and want to make some complicated mixtapes where I can take a few shots at each transition and include some turntablism. What can you suggest for 1-5? (or anything else that would make for a fun, productive setup)
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm looking at getting:
  1. Echo Audiofire 12 (for recording MPC 8 outs, TTM56 2 outs and sound module outs etc. and also as digital mixer?)
  3. Some sort of sound module/modules mainly for bass sounds? (At the moment I'm just sampling, I'd like something more I can keep for a few years and get better at over time)
  4. Rack mount radio with good sound quality (just for chilling and catching some local shows)

1 & 2 Go for it. Just use the stock plug ins for now. You'd be surprised how far most stock plugs will go. Also good incentive not to overuse them if they suck!
3. The mo phatt with the pure phatt expansion will give you great bass stuff and tons of other little fun synth sounds. The emu proteus series also offers some good stuff. I recommend resampling your synth lines through your mpc, and using the analog outs, not the spdifs.
4. I don't know, whatever.
5. Yes, a needle will be important for all things turntable related. Get one of the nice ones. They're expensive, but I bought one five years ago and it still works perfectly. Can't remember what the f it was though...
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
I'm looking at getting:
1 & 2 Go for it. Just use the stock plug ins for now. You'd be surprised how far most stock plugs will go. Also good incentive not to overuse them if they suck!
3. The mo phatt with the pure phatt expansion will give you great bass stuff and tons of other little fun synth sounds. The emu proteus series also offers some good stuff. I recommend resampling your synth lines through your mpc, and using the analog outs, not the spdifs.
4. I don't know, whatever.
5. Yes, a needle will be important for all things turntable related. Get one of the nice ones. They're expensive, but I bought one five years ago and it still works perfectly. Can't remember what the f it was though...
Hey Storyville,

I believe the needle to get for rap is the one which is made from the beak of a pterodactyl.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

the flintstones was not 'just a cartoon'
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
Yabba Dabba Word,Son!!!!
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Honestly, you have everything you need but the daw and the interface. I haven't used the echo audiofire 12 but I am very interested in it. I plan to get one soon and if I like it, I will buy another.

I don't like reaper's interface much personally but any daw that supports midi syncing is fine.

You don't really need a sound module, especially if you are using a daw. You can either trigger your sounds in your daw like a sound module, or load sounds to your mpc. I had a planet phatt way back, it had some usuable stuff if you are looking for something on the cheap. I used bass programs I made and loaded into my mpc way more though. The advantage of using either of these meathods is you don't have to track out extra sounds. Your daw, or your mpc, is very capable of doing everything you want (unless you have many composed tracks). I would start without anything if it is primarily for bass only.

Your needles arn't that bad either, nothing I would worry about upgrading immidately. You will have to spend a decent amount to really upgrade them.

As for the radio, no clue. If it doesn't need to be rack mounted, anything with an aux/line out will work fine.
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

what else can I get that'l be fun for a while?

I need to stock up on gear for the next year or so cause i'm going to be broke. thinking about dropping the full time work and doing some study.
Old 23rd November 2009
Here for the gear

cmon..
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
Sure it was.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear