The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hip Hop is an ear builder
Old 14th November 2009
Hip Hop is an ear builder

So, in my learning curve, I started at Hip Hop, and then when I started doing rock mixes it presented all new challenges. Then going back to Hip Hop, I realized because of the nature of how the music is made, there's a whole NEW set of challenges I never even realized.

When something feels off, it can be hard to tell what exactly it is. I found myself using an expander on hi-hats today. I'm proud that I figured out what was bothering me, but at the same time I'm sort of astonished how strange the problems in Hip Hop can be.

PS, Rx Declipper - very helpful in Hip Hop!

In other news, I received a vocal that has reverb and delay, and the backing tracks in it. I think I'm leaving it as is, no compression, no eq, cause it works decently in the track, but there's an annoying tone in the voice that part of me wants to notch out.
Attached Files

royce clip.wav (2.37 MB, 2115 views)

Old 14th November 2009
Gear Nut

I was wondering if you could break down in detail why you were using a expander on the hi hats?
Old 14th November 2009
Listened to the vox... That delay & verb is not great. Of course I don't know what the rest of the song is like but it seems to muddy everything up. That makes it hard to tell what frequencies are bothering you. I'd say his voice is too Gawky or edgy. Probably upper mids. That exaggerated wayne thing is what's doing it. Makes the voice sound unnatural because it is.
Old 14th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8tracks View Post
I was wondering if you could break down in detail why you were using a expander on the hi hats?
The hats were over compressed! The highs in my mix felt irritating and I couldn't figure out why. When I solo'd the hat, I knew something was up. It felt bulky. So I reached for the eq, but that didn't solve my problem. So I tried an expander, and it worked.

As for the vocal, I agree the delay and verb is all over the place. It's in tempo agreement with the track, but that doesn't help me get that gawkiness (good word for it) out. The more I've tried to eq it, the less I like it. Might have to go as is.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

I got stuck with a vocal stem like that today. I did the same thing, left it as is.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

to make that sound good youve got some work haha. Im supprised royce is even giving you that, i always thought he sounded better than that. Shows what studios do. Maybee you could run it through a smoothening compressor with some light settings.
Old 15th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
to make that sound good youve got some work haha. Im supprised royce is even giving you that, i always thought he sounded better than that. Shows what studios do. Maybee you could run it through a smoothening compressor with some light settings.
the actual capture off the mic-pre is really good. the problem was the engineer behind the board thought he was doing someone a favor with all the reverbs and delays and stuff. Which would have been totally cool, if they had all gone out on separate tracks. But I got the other two vocalists tracks in earlier today, and compared to those, Royce's are easy as pie!

Anyway, here's Royce in the mix, unchanged.

Also, listen for the hi-hat. Ha, it's so weird......
Attached Files

Died snippet.wav (2.87 MB, 90 views)

Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

the hats are rather soft sounding.

I gotta admit, royce sounds a lot better with the music than raw. he always has had that edgyness though.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear