The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Asio Driver Soundcard or Direct X ???
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Asio Driver Soundcard or Direct X ???

Alright so I been working with FL and my Emu 1212 for years now.
I have a "Decent" system. It's 2.8 ghz p4 and 1.5 ram, and a vid chip with 256 ram...

So i setup my tracks to record one VST (like a keyboard) meaning...i save resources by not loading 6 instruments..i load one, play the part, dub to audio, and repeat.

I end up arranging ALL audio parts by the end of the song.

And this helps when im bouncing multi tracks, or when i uninstall sounds and what not..i always have the player part as audio, even if the data or presets are moved/lost.

So im using the Emu ASIO driver....and sometimes when my tracks get up to just 10...with FEW fX...usually verb and compression...my system starts cracking...cpu gets up to 70% and everything, EVEN with JUST audio...

And i thought it was just my system getting old...or maybe the new FL is just intensive resource heavy.

So my boy trys out a new program, and i wasnt really paying attention.....before i knew it...he had 5 Instances of VST instruments open (known to clog up / slow down) with no crackling...

I then go to change the Drive from "asio direct X" to "emu asio" and at 5ms...it was cracking again....so i set it up to like 15/20 ms...latency just to get the same results....

What is that????

Is the Asio direct X driver better? Set to higher samples?

Or is the EMU asio flawed....

How do i find out????? Where the issue is coming from

Thanks.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

OK it seems like everything is powerful enough like you stated.
1.5 Ram if that's on your base system for FL I believe that more ram could help.
If your using plugs. FL itself only needs 512MB ram.

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?p=610649

Also I would check CPU resources to see of something else is running in the back ground on your computer while running FL.
Are you running XP or Vista? Vista needs at least 1Gig alone is recommended to run vista. http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2006/05/6863.ars
Also if you're streaming from your internal drive 500mb for FL to run, I would store my work samples / Audio on an external drive.
Last but not lease, make sure you downloaded a good batch of asio drivers from Emu, http://www.emu.com/support/files/download2.aspCentric=761&Platform=1

uninstall and reinstall with nothing running ( virus or add where protection ) while Downloading and installing them.

Hope this can helps
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear